PDA

View Full Version : Udoh Considering OU/OSU

OUSKINS
5/17/2008, 11:48 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted/mentioned, but I didn't see it:

http://oklahomacity.cox.net/cci/newslocal/local?_mode=view&view=LocalNewsArticleView&articleId=3401160&_action=validatearticle

This would be another nice player to land....Capel has proven he can attract big talent, now he needs to make a pipeline to Norman.

OU_Sooners75
5/18/2008, 07:04 AM
The new Coach K?

Before coach K, Duke really wasnt anything special. Look what happened after he arrived.

That would be sweet.

If so, OU needs to offer Capel a lifetime contract....LOL

King Crimson
5/18/2008, 07:28 AM

if so what?

we've been pretty good for about 30 years before Capel. i like Capel and thought it was a good hire but we've won one NCAA game with him....i'm not sure i see the lifetime contract talk. and it's certainly not contingent on signing a single digit scorer transfer from Michigan. troll much or just kind of uninformed?

and Duke had some good teams before K. they lost in the National Championship game to Kentucky in the late 70's. wasn't like he invented them from scratch. they stunk when he got there and had some tough years with him, but I don't see this "they were nothing" argument.

Civicus_Sooner
5/18/2008, 09:39 AM
The way I read that article, It seems like our style (inside out) fits his size and skills but it also looks like Udoh's connections at OSU has them in the lead. Although, I'm not sure that Ford's uptempo guard orented style fits him very well.

If he has to sit out a year then he could step in and take the Blake Griffin role, right off the bat.

King Crimson
5/18/2008, 09:42 AM
The way I read that article, It seems like our style (inside out) fits his size and skills but it also looks like Udoh's connections at OSU has them in the lead. Although, I'm not sure that Ford's uptempo guard orented style fits him very well.

If he has to sit out a year then he could step in and take the Blake Griffin role, right off the bat.

you looked at our roster lately? What is the "Blake Griffin" role"....what is "our style of play"?

who is speaking in the article....?

c'mon.

Civicus_Sooner
5/18/2008, 09:48 AM
you looked at our roster lately? What is the "Blake Griffin" role"....what is "our style of play"?

who is speaking in the article....?

c'mon.
Our style of play is a half court, defense oriented, inside out team. Blake is our bigman, scorer/rebounder.

Udoh says in the article that he suffers from the system at Mich.

King Crimson
5/18/2008, 09:51 AM
Our style of play is a half court, defense oriented, inside out team. Blake is our bigman, scorer/rebounder.

Udoh says in the article that he suffers from the system at Mich.

oh that's not true, don't you read the ouinsider board....we are all run and gun once Capel get's his guys in place.

nevertheless. we have a sackfull of posts, what we need is guards to use schollies on.

Civicus_Sooner
5/18/2008, 10:02 AM
oh that's not true, don't you read the ouinsider board....we are all run and gun once Capel get's his guys in place.

nevertheless. we have a sackfull of posts, what we need is guards to use schollies on.
Really, are you being sarcastic? Seriously? I'm just making statements from what I've seen from our team for the last two years. A sack full of posts? We have Wright, Gerber and Griffinx2. 4 forwards, some undersized and no center. I agree, we need better guards but after Blake, I'm not sure we have any real quality post players. Cade is a misplaced guard and Taylor isn't big enough to bang with the big guys around the country.

When Blake and taylor leave after this next season, then what?

I played some ball in HS, PG actually and from what I can tell, Capel is an inside out offensive coach. What's wrong with that? It actually gives us the edge with Udoh.

King Crimson
5/18/2008, 10:23 AM
Griffin, B. Griffin, T. Patillo, J. Wright, R. Cannon, Kyle. Allen, Orlando.

if you want to argue over half these guys haven't played a minute of Big XII i'm not going to disagree...but they are all on schollie. and they are post players. in addition to Gerber.

blanks
5/18/2008, 10:48 AM
I agree with King Crimson here. We have two point guards on schollie right now. Both points are only ok at best and are seniors next year. We need a point guard for the future. Plus, i would like to have another two guard to back up Willie Warren.

Civicus_Sooner
5/18/2008, 10:52 AM
Griffin, B. Griffin, T. Patillo, J. Wright, R. Cannon, Kyle. Allen, Orlando.

if you want to argue over half these guys haven't played a minute of Big XII i'm not going to disagree...but they are all on schollie. and they are post players. in addition to Gerber.
I'm certainly not trying to argue in the negative sense of the word but you're right those guys are unknown.

Patillo, as I understand is a wing player. Shoots the three and slashes type guy.

Also, both Griffins will be gone next year, when Udoh will be available.

I think the decision will be, do we let Moose (6'7-6'8) back (I'm not sure we should) or let Udoh a 6'10 potential center come in.

If we could get a real live point guard, I take that over anyone, right now.

Actually, these are good problems to have.

King Crimson
5/18/2008, 11:02 AM
they are mos def good problems to have.

i like Moose and hope he comes back, but i pull for the guys that wear the uni and go to class. i don't think Udoh is going to be Blake Griffin and there isn't "that position" on the floor. as far as "Capel's offense" it doesn't work like that.

i trust the coach to do whatever.

badger
5/18/2008, 11:34 AM
Thoughts:
1- Jeff Capel should not earn a lifetime contract through recruiting alone.
Reason: Do we want a Mack Brown on our hands, that is, until he lands the Vince Young that can single handedly win a championship?

2- Udoh will not make this squad a Final Four team.
Reason: We already are a Final Four team (or at least Sweet 16) with the guys we've already recruited to OU, from the Griffins to Warren. Now, Udoh needs to get down on his knees and beg to be a part of such a talented roster and if he thinks we need to beg him, then he'll blend in very well as desperate OSU.

3- Take or leave Moose.
Reason: He screwed up, now he needs to prove he can be on the team and not screw up again. If Capel doesn't have complete confidence in Moose, Moose should not be allowed back. However, he should be credited for not bailing on Capel when nearly every other recruit in KS' last OU class did.

4-OU is run and gun.
Reason: We are far, far more uptempo than I've seen in KS years. It is a fun brand of basketball to watch and it gets frustrating when it turns into a turnover prone session instead... but it is definitely speedy, fast-paced basketball... and yes, very fun to watch.

5- Trust Capel and dang it, show up for games.
Reason: Last few years when people have started complaining about Stoops running the ball up the middle a lot, I've had to remind football posters that this coach took us to the national championship game three time and has won the Big 12 over and over. Capel is the right coach for OU right now and I think he has a lot invested in OU as far as his family goes, so he won't be bailing on us soon (barring a Coach K imminent retirement, which won't happen for the next five, ten years, which is not soon at all). He has us back on national television and if you won't reward him with your praise yet, you should at least reward him by showing up to two games per season or more.

King Crimson
5/18/2008, 11:40 AM
run and gun: parody of you style of play weenies.

but we still don't need another post as a primary need. If Capel wants Udoh, I want Udoh.

Civicus_Sooner
5/18/2008, 11:49 AM
The thing is we are an uptempo team but far from run and gun. See OU in the 80's if you want "run and gun."

The other thing is, Udoh won't be eligible to play at OU until both Griffins are gone.

I don't see how we are so stocked at the post in 2009 and 2010 that we turn down a 6'10, soph., starter Transfer from the University of Michigan.

We need a PG but we'll have scholly's for some next year too.

badger
5/18/2008, 05:02 PM
We need a PG

OU's offense: RATED M FOR MATURE ;)

It is very nice to see Capel getting this program turned around quickly. We knew he would, but it's still nice to see it happening now and within a few years of him coming here. I credit the roster too, of course, but Capel really showed how good he was by pushing our guys to get in the tourney during that last stretch this year with must-win situations. They've really showed their maturity... but yeah, that Memphis game means NO LIFETIME CONTRACT... yet :D

cheezyq
5/18/2008, 08:47 PM
I know we need guards, but there's no way I'd want to turn down a talented big man, regardless of how many we have. That way if we get into one of those games like Louisville, etc. where the refs are calling everything on us, we can just rotate the next guy in and not miss a beat.

You always want to build a team inside-out. A solid inside game will allow our outside guys to shoot open shots. With as good an inside game as we should have next year, our current guards should be more than adequate.

stoopified
5/18/2008, 09:25 PM
If Clark returns we have no scholly for this coming year and it makes this all a moot point.I guess he could walk on for next year and then get a scholly the next year.Roster for next year(if Clark returns).

Allen 6'11 so
B.Geiffin 6'10 so
Wright 6'9 jr
Cannon 6'8 so
Clark 6'8 jr
T.Griffin 6'7 sr
Patillo 6'7 jr
Crocker 6'6 jr
Willis 6'6 fr
Davis 6'5 so
Johnson 6'3 sr
Warren 6'3 fr
Leary 5'10 sr
By my numbers that adds up to thirteen players.Of course Clark could fall short grade-wise or someone could leave or get booted but failing that we are full up.

Collier11
5/19/2008, 01:50 AM
The new Coach K?

Before coach K, Duke really wasnt anything special. Look what happened after he arrived.

That would be sweet.

Duke has always been a very good bball school, obviously Coach K took them to a crazy good level but they were def pretty good before him.

They have an all-time reacord of 1849-810, they were 1147 and 608 (65%), 702-202 with Coach K

Jimminy Crimson
5/19/2008, 03:14 AM
If Clark returns we have no scholly for this coming year and it makes this all a moot point.I guess he could walk on for next year and then get a scholly the next year.Roster for next year(if Clark returns).

Allen 6'11 so
B.Geiffin 6'10 so
Wright 6'9 jr
Cannon 6'8 so
Clark 6'8 jr
T.Griffin 6'7 sr
Patillo 6'7 jr
Crocker 6'6 jr
Willis 6'6 fr
Davis 6'5 so
Johnson 6'3 sr
Warren 6'3 fr
Leary 5'10 sr
By my numbers that adds up to thirteen players.Of course Clark could fall short grade-wise or someone could leave or get booted but failing that we are full up.

Clark should be the one who walks on.

Civicus_Sooner
5/19/2008, 07:24 AM
Clark should be the one who walks on.So true, so true. If anyone needs to prove their worth (not by taking a few classes at Rose State), It's Clark.

OUSKINS
5/19/2008, 07:53 AM
Let's not get too cocky here folks. The program isn't at a point where we can scoff at the notion of landing a big man who was on the all Big 10 Defensive Team.

Rhino
5/19/2008, 12:10 PM
Udoh won't be coming to OU.

soonerfan28
5/19/2008, 01:32 PM

Why not?

crawfish
5/19/2008, 03:58 PM

Hmmm.....

poke4christ
5/19/2008, 04:48 PM

I'd agree with you about the uncertainty in him fitting Ford's System, but our lack of big men might overide that. I've heard some people say OSU in the lead for him, but I'm not sure. I think it might be a closer race. We'll see. Kinda fun considering there isn't much else to talk about for Basketball and the stupid football season is 3 months away! Hurry up football season, I need you!

badger
5/19/2008, 05:08 PM
Psst... pokie! Obligatory reminder about Sunday's baseball game :D:D:D

and yes, football season needs to get here ASAP.

MichiganSooner
5/19/2008, 08:26 PM
No one has suggested that he might go to TU.

poke4christ
5/19/2008, 09:16 PM
Psst... pokie! Obligatory reminder about Sunday's baseball game :D:D:D

and yes, football season needs to get here ASAP.

I guess for us, eight was enough ;). We're still staring down the barrel of a national seed if we have a decent showing in the tourney, so I'm not that upset. Besides, I was at Saturday's game where we won 11-1. :D

badger
5/20/2008, 10:30 AM
I guess for us, eight was enough ;). We're still staring down the barrel of a national seed if we have a decent showing in the tourney, so I'm not that upset. Besides, I was at Saturday's game where we won 11-1. :D

:mad:

:D Just kidding, I'm not mad. I've even. :D

:) Eight will not be enough for Sooners. We'll win #8 and then wonder for the next year where #9 is... and then the next year, we'll say "Hey, we should have 10 national championships!" and so on. It's like you guys in wrestling, except everyone in the nation is paying attention, the school makes millions off t-shirt sales afterward and people actually listen to you bragging ;)

:) Ok, that was cruel... but true.

:) Ok, that was cruel also. You take your baseball team and hold on as tight as you can, because it seems like more than other sports, baseball is especially difficult to assemble a winning bunch every year. Basketball, you just need a studly freshman to wow crowds by dunking a lot (we have Blake Griffin, for example). Football, you just need a good coach, good training and you'll get good recruits every year you have a good season. Baseball, you have limited resources and limited scholarships, so once your players make it thorugh, it's tough to find another starting lineup that will do the same. So like I said... appreciate it, because it'll be gone before you know it, and you'll have a 20 page thread on needing to find a new coach.

Collier11
5/20/2008, 12:16 PM
Udoh says OU is on top of his list right now per the Edmond Sun

soonerfan28
5/20/2008, 12:26 PM

I also like how he said that he liked Ford's system, but Capel has already proven himself. I'm not for sure if I think Clark should walk-on, but I guess if we can get both guys then Clark should be the one to walk-on. If I'm not mistaken didn't he lead the Big 10 in blocks?

Collier11
5/20/2008, 12:36 PM
Yep, he would be a nice get...he does have okst ties though

soonerfan28
5/20/2008, 12:41 PM
I know this has already been said, but with Griffin gone next year, barring injury we need a guy that can step in and be good. It's unlikely that we'll get Orton and if we have Clark and Udoh then that would be nice.

Jimminy Crimson
5/20/2008, 09:40 PM

I'd take what he tells the Edmond Sun to be pretty close to how Epke really feels. It's his hometown paper, plus, the reporters know him better than any of the other scribes. Jus' sayin'!

Collier11
5/20/2008, 09:46 PM
They were sayin on the radio that he wasnt really that good, I say there is always a place for a Defensive stopper...especially since we will have Wright, Cannon, Crocker and possibly still Warren to do the scoring. Can you imagine him and Allen as our D intimidators

Jimminy Crimson
5/20/2008, 09:53 PM
They were sayin on the radio that he wasnt really that good, I say there is always a place for a Defensive stopper...especially since we will have Wright, Cannon, Crocker and possibly still Warren to do the scoring. Can you imagine him and Allen as our D intimidators

I don't care how 'not good' he is to the radio nancy's, you're not the leading shot blocker in the Big Te(leve)n by sucking! :texan:

soonerfan28
6/13/2008, 08:49 AM
I didn't see in on here, but he chose Baylor.

NormanPride
6/13/2008, 04:44 PM
You serious, Clark?

Collier11
6/13/2008, 06:00 PM
thought he wasnt deciding til the 15th, you have a link?

Big Red Ron
6/13/2008, 08:14 PM
Baylor? Well good for him. Hope that works out for him.

soonerfan28
6/13/2008, 08:52 PM
thought he wasnt deciding til the 15th, you have a link?
Heres the link. http://newsok.com/udoh-opts-for-baylor-over-ou-osu/article/3256747/?tm=1213325106

Big Red Ron
6/13/2008, 08:54 PM
Seems like one of those guys that wants to be a big fish in a small pont (AKA the I in team). We'll win without him.

Collier11
6/14/2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the link and oh well, we will just move forward and grab someone else. Thats how it works sometimes.

soonerfan28
6/14/2008, 11:26 AM
Does this mean that we take Clark back on scholarship?

Salt City Sooner
6/14/2008, 01:23 PM
Clark didn't get his grades up.

Collier11
6/14/2008, 01:43 PM
If that is true then what a waste, juco isnt hard! I feel for the guy but you have to be responsible for yourself and obviously he wasnt IF this is true

Salt City Sooner
6/14/2008, 05:02 PM
It's either true or Eschbach is full of it (guess it could be both :D) because he reported it about 2-3 weeks ago. There was also a long thread over on Hale's site in which some very reliable posters said they'd heard the same thing.

Collier11
6/14/2008, 07:29 PM
Im not doubting you, I just hadnt heard it yet