PDA

View Full Version : Aiming for Mecca

StoopTroup
5/17/2008, 07:23 PM
U.S. soldier uses Quran for target practice; military apologizes

:D

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/17/iraq.quran/index.html?eref=rss_topstories)

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/WORLD/meast/05/17/iraq.quran/art.iraq.quran.cnn.jpg

Whet
5/17/2008, 07:30 PM
How silly!

StoopTroup
5/17/2008, 07:32 PM
Opps.

I thought it was the Book of Mormon Sir!

Sorry.

J/K Hubler.

Whet
5/17/2008, 07:36 PM
heh!

Jerk
5/17/2008, 07:45 PM
Not good.

We've made a lot of gains over there during the past year, especially with the Sunni militias.

No need to **** it all away.

Harry Beanbag
5/18/2008, 12:45 AM
Better than flushing it down the terlet isn't it?

Flagstaffsooner
5/18/2008, 05:54 AM
What a waste of toilet paper.

Okla-homey
5/18/2008, 06:35 AM
Has it ever occurred to any of you that these people get all fired up and seek to cut off the heads of those who disrespect a book purportedly about God, yet have absolutely no compunction about mass killings of human beings they also believe He created?

To me at least, it also seems completely inconsistent to hold that God is all powerful (e.g. Allah Akbar!) and in the same breath, call for the death of those who they deem to have disrespected Him. As if an all-powerful God needs human help in settling a score?! Pfft I say! If God believed He had suffered an actionable affront to His sensitivities, He is more than capable of eradicating the offender without Jugdish Al-Mofuzzi's help.

IMHO, there is something fundamentally flawed with such a belief system. Thank goodness Christianity got past that sort of thing by the end of the 17th century. I therefore believe the world would be better off if that brand of Islam were eradicated. Not the adherents mind you, but their dangerous and morally bankrupt world view.

soonerscuba
5/18/2008, 11:11 AM
I don't think anybody should apologize for anything. If gov't money can go to putting Jesus in a jar of ****, why can't her bullets shoot the Quran? This war is beyond retarded and expensive, Iraq's people are rubes and don't deserve Democracy, they deserve to be lorded over because in the end, you get the government you deserve.

I know that sounds harsh, but inorganic revolution is generally an incredibly bad idea, almost always unjustifiable in the Mideast, save Afghanistan which had it coming.

AggieTool
5/18/2008, 11:29 AM
Thank goodness Christianity got past that sort of thing by the end of the 17th century. I therefore believe the world would be better off if that brand of Islam were eradicated. Not the adherents mind you, but their dangerous and morally bankrupt world view.

I agree, Christianity is WAYYYY more reasonable.

You can just tell.

StoopTroup
5/18/2008, 11:37 AM
Is it against Military Regulation to shoot the Quran?

If it's not...I say EAT LEAD YA BASTAGES!

Of course I could be wrong since I still haven't had coffee yet.

Maybe I should think this through.

StoopTroup
5/18/2008, 11:39 AM
What a waste of toilet paper.

Ouch! I think a virgin just scratched my anus.

StoopTroup
5/18/2008, 11:54 AM
I met a man in Reno once.

He says he took a bullet in the chest and the only thing that saved him was the Bible in his overcoat.

Lets see if a Quran can do that! :D

yermom
5/18/2008, 12:31 PM
so they didn't get to watch him die?

what a gip

and shooting a Quran over there while people watched is just ****ing stupid

r5TPsooner
5/18/2008, 12:38 PM
I use the Quran to wipe my *** on a daily basis.

If you want some... come get ya some.

yermom
5/18/2008, 12:39 PM
i could care less what you do in your bathroom. are you the face of the US Military to people over there?

r5TPsooner
5/18/2008, 12:42 PM
i could care less what you do in your bathroom. are you the face of the US Military to people over there?

I have a feeling that a large % of them feel the same way that I do. If not, that's what makes America so beautiful. Free will and freedom of speech.

StoopTroup
5/18/2008, 12:57 PM
When folks stop desecrating the American Flag here in the US and around the World...then I might find time to worry about the folks in the Middle East getting their feelings hurt about some guy shooting a book.

The deal is...over here...you might **** some people off. Over there...they'd probably kill you over it. I think THEY need to open their eyes and their minds instead of getting hurt everytime one of our Military folks did something to hurt their feelings.

Heck...if they would just take over their Country...we'd go Home.

Stupid idgets.

yermom
5/18/2008, 01:01 PM
I have a feeling that a large % of them feel the same way that I do. If not, that's what makes America so beautiful. Free will and freedom of speech.

you lose a lot of free will and speech when you put on the uniform

you are pretty dense if you think it was a good idea to do what he did, regardless of rules and rights

r5TPsooner
5/18/2008, 01:04 PM
you lose a lot of free will and speech when you put on the uniform

you are pretty dense if you think it was a good idea to do what he did, regardless of rules and rights

No need for a personal attack and I reread my previous posts and never did I say what he did was a good idea. I was only speaking for myself.

Reading comprehension, get hooked on it.

trey
5/18/2008, 01:06 PM
when i go camping i always bring a bunch bibles for kindling. what's the big deal?

yermom
5/18/2008, 01:12 PM
No need for a personal attack and I reread my previous posts and never did I say what he did was a good idea. I was only speaking for myself.

Reading comprehension, get hooked on it.

well, i was kinda addressing you and Stooptroup at the same time ;)

that statement only applies if you think it was a good idea, anyway...

JohnnyMack
5/18/2008, 01:59 PM
Christians calling out ANY other religion for doing things that are nonsensical amuses me greatly.

Okla-homey
5/18/2008, 02:00 PM
All I know is this, you have to do your best not to intentionally inflame the passions of the locals because you're already operating at a net deficit in the civil affairs arena.

Too many resent your presence in the first place. Thus, you gotta hammer crap like this when it occurs to put Joe on notice there is zero tolerance for this kind of stuff.

It still breaks my heart that we lost the moral high ground in the eyes of most of the world because of the isolated acts of some doofuses at Abu Ghraib who were'nt remotely qualified to administer that place.

Yeah, I know, nekkid pyramids were'nt that big a deal, especially compared to what our kids face there on a daily basis, but it became a big huge hairy deal nevertheless. Especially since it involved Arabic men being demeaned by infidels, including infidel women in the form of Lyndie England and her ilk. Those kids displayed extraordinary poor judgment and we still suffer its effects.

Fact is, as others have stated, I wish they were'nt so sensitive to percieved religious affronts, but that's just the way it is. Knowing that, and dealing with it appropriately is part of a GI's job. It has been since Sun Tzu penned his immortal "The Art of War" in the flippin' 2d c. B.C.

Okla-homey
5/18/2008, 02:05 PM
Christians calling out ANY other religion for doing things that are nonsensical amuses me greatly.

How so? I mean lookit. I realize untold suffering has been exacted in God's name by people who were at least facially Christians. But at least concede that it is not now, nor has it been for centuries, the official position of any organized body Christians that people must be killed because they aren't Christians.

yermom
5/18/2008, 02:20 PM
it's just taken different forms in modern times, like "God did the last part of human evolution, but not the rest of it"

JohnnyMack
5/19/2008, 09:51 AM
How so? I mean lookit. I realize untold suffering has been exacted in God's name by people who were at least facially Christians. But at least concede that it is not now, nor has it been for centuries, the official position of any organized body Christians that people must be killed because they aren't Christians.

I guess my thought is that just because your religion is slightly more evolved than someone else's doesn't make it any less silly. Or its past any less checkered.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/19/2008, 10:04 AM
I'm wondering if the dude wanted out of Iraq and the Army. Can't think of a better way to do it. Sounds like he is on the express train out of the theater.

StoopTroup
5/19/2008, 11:33 AM
I'm wondering if the dude wanted out of Iraq and the Army. Can't think of a better way to do it. Sounds like he is on the express train out of the theater.

I'm not sure if it's his ticket out of there or his ticket to Military prison.

Maybe some of the Actives can expand on what has transpired these last few years of the this War.

Sounds plausable to me...but I'm not close to being an expert on the inner workings of our military.

SoonerAtKU
5/19/2008, 11:52 AM
Homey-words

This is pretty right-on. If you're an emissary for an entire country, it doesn't matter how you personally feel about it. It's just a bad idea, and anyone that would plead ignorance as to how something like that would be received in that setting is really pushing it.