PDA

View Full Version : Denzel Washington

5/17/2008, 02:52 PM
Is there a better contemporary actor out there?

The last couple of flicks I've watched, (American Gangster, The Great Debater), confirm my decision that he ranks up in the elite few.

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 02:55 PM
Good Edit. Thought you were on crack there for a second.:D

r5TPsooner
5/17/2008, 02:56 PM
Morgan Freeman

5/17/2008, 03:05 PM
Morgan's good. I also give Tom Hanks a nod. Javier Bardem is up ther along with Kelly Macdonald. How she got the twang for her roll in No Country For Old Men is an enigma.

r5TPsooner
5/17/2008, 03:07 PM
If someone says Brad Pitt I'm gonna get drunk. He's the worst actor in the history of major lead men.

yermom
5/17/2008, 03:20 PM
i'm kinda anxious to see how Ed Norton does as The Hulk

i'm a Tom Hanks man, myself. he can do anything

and i can't belive you'd say that about Tyler Durden

Harry Beanbag
5/17/2008, 03:39 PM
If someone says Brad Pitt I'm gonna get drunk. He's the worst actor in the history of major lead men.

You've obviously never seen any Ben Affleck movies.

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 03:52 PM
heh, Sum of All Fears is on right now on FX.

5/17/2008, 03:55 PM
I've never seen anyone too worked up on teh weed.:D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/17/2008, 03:55 PM
Samuel L brings tears to my eyes

soonerbrat
5/17/2008, 06:28 PM
Brad Pitt

r5TPsooner
5/17/2008, 08:02 PM
You've obviously never seen any Ben Affleck movies.

And proud of it!

SteelClip49
5/17/2008, 08:06 PM
Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks together in Philadelphia.....god those two shine together.

Morgan Freeman is another as mentioned that can master any role and surprisingly he only has one Oscar. His narration in March of the Penguins kept me involved.

BillyBall
5/17/2008, 09:04 PM
Is there a better contemporary actor out there?

The last couple of flicks I've watched, (American Gangster, The Great Debater), confirm my decision that he ranks up in the elite few.

Spek, everything he does is cool...

soonerinabilene
5/18/2008, 12:02 AM
Man on Fire was absolutely amazing. One of my top 3 favorite acting performances. Him, Ed Norton, and over the last 3 years or so Leo Dicapprio are my favorite actors. And I know Leo has done some some cheesey roles in the past, but after Gangs of New York, The Departed, and Blood Diamond, you tend to forget Titanic and Romeo.

And Matt Damon is damn good, too.

def_lazer_fc
5/18/2008, 12:56 AM
im surprised no one has mentioned daniel day lewis. all that guy does is make a movie every five years and say, "oscar, please!"

King Crimson
5/18/2008, 01:21 AM
i thought American Gangster was pretty average; or, that i'd seen it before (in a bunch of other gangster movies). i wanted to like it.

i thought Russell Crowe was better in it.

King Crimson
5/18/2008, 01:24 AM
Leo's accent in both the Aviator and Blood Diamond were hilarious at times. but, i give him credit for trying.

i'll never forgive him or anyone for the atrocity that was the Basketball Diaries. Jim Carroll is great.

King Crimson
5/18/2008, 01:28 AM
i vote for Mariah Carey. I'm really glad to see her "back". it re-affirms my once failing faith in all that is good and wonderful about America and pop culture.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/18/2008, 01:41 AM
Will Farrell.

Dumb sh*ts.

soonerinabilene
5/18/2008, 01:41 AM
im surprised no one has mentioned daniel day lewis. all that guy does is make a movie every five years and say, "oscar, please!"

Im still ****ed at him for drinking my milkshake.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/18/2008, 02:25 AM
In all seriousness..... would like to hear opinions....

Tom Hanks is fairly untouchable.

William H. Macy does a pretty fair job in everything he is in.

Phillip Seymore Hoffman.... anyone?

Let's see if that old fart Harrison Ford can pull off anything in IJ4.

Matt Damon came up in my book with the whole Bourne series.

Denzel doesn't suck. Though, over time, IMO he has gotten a little melodramatic.

Morgan Freeman owned Denzel in Glory. But I think that is pretty well established. I'll take ye ol' Electric Company man in just about anything.

No love for that other No Country for Old Men actor... Tommy Lee Jones? Lonesome Dove? Don't care if that was for TV... Duvall, Jones, and Anjelica Huston were exquisite.

Christian Bale. So he's a bit freaky. Okie doke.

Posthumous: Guessing Heath Ledger. He put together some good ones. Very unfortunate.

And this may be unpopular... but I'll throw it out anyway...

George Clooney. Kind of a throwback Hollywood leading man IMO.... the whole Oceans series, "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?..."

And as good as all these guys are...

Francis McDormand kicks their butts.

5/18/2008, 03:40 AM
Macy is good. Damon belongs up there as well. Ford is a novelty in my opinion. Jones has had about 2 good flicks. Clooney is ok, though his mom was far better on the cheese scale.

You only like McDormand for that annoying accent in Fargo. ;)

SteelClip49
5/18/2008, 09:46 AM
Phillip Seymour Hoffman kicked azz in Twister!!!!!

William H. Macy, Ed Harris, Jeff Bridges, Denzel Washington, PSH, Morgan Freeman, SLJ, Christian Bale, Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Hugh Jackman, Jamie Foxx, Will Smith, Christopher Walken, Robert Duvall, Robert Redford, Michael Douglas, Gene Hackman, Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, Robin Williams....just to name a few are all great.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/18/2008, 06:51 PM
Just watched Mississipi Burning again the other night. What was that up against that it did not win best picture? Silence of the Lambs?...

Even though Hackman has years on him now... He still has to be way up there.