View Full Version : Kansas' Arthur had grades changed

SoonerShark
5/16/2008, 08:47 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24665244/

Report: Kansas' Arthur had grades changed
Teacher says player wouldn't have qualified for NCAA with his real grades
The Associated Press
updated 4:43 p.m. CT, Fri., May. 16, 2008

A television report that Kansas basketball star Darrell Arthur may have been ineligible to play at his Dallas high school has fueled speculation about whether he should have ever played for the national champion Jayhawks.

A math teacher at South Oak Cliff High School in Dallas told WFAA-TV in Dallas-Fort Worth that Arthur's grades were improperly altered to show he passed math when he hadn't.

The 6-foot-9 Kansas sophomore was instrumental in leading Kansas to its national championship, finishing second in scoring at 12.8 points a game and second in rebounding. He had 20 points and 10 rebounds in Kansas' national title win against Memphis.

Arthur has applied for early entry into the NBA draft but did not sign with an agent, so he could return to Kansas.

Arthur was one of the nation's top recruits out of high school. The McDonald's All-American led South Oak Cliff to consecutive state titles, earning tournament MVP both times. However, the school had to forfeit its 2006 state championship because of similar academic problems with another player, Kendrake Johnigan.

The station said the NCAA told it that if a player is found to be ineligible, his college team might have to forfeit any or all games involving that student.

But Jim Marchiony, KU's associate athletic director for external affairs, said he believed that the investigation into Arthur likely would not affect the school's basketball program.

"This is something that happened in high school," Marchiony said. "Everything that is discussed right now is speculation. I know the media and fans like to speculate, but that's not something we participate in."

Marchiony said high schools send athletes' transcripts to the NCAA, which determines whether an athlete is eligible to play in college. Because the NCAA declared Arthur eligible, Kansas would not have known about any grading problems in high school, he said.

"I believe that the school district is looking into it," Marchiony said. "Right now, the only thing any of us can do is wait to see the result of that process."

A secretary at South Oak Cliff, who would not give her name, said no one at the school was available for comment and referred all questions to the high school association.

The school district said in a news release that it was investigating allegations of grade changing at South Oak Cliff but would not comment until the investigation is complete. The district also said it had hired an outside firm to review the district's existing policies regarding student academic achievement eligibility, with a focus on athletics.

The NCAA also said it would not comment until the high school association's investigation is complete.

"Until the Dallas Independent School District has concluded its investigation, it is premature for the NCAA to speculate on this matter," Stacey Osburn, a spokeswoman for the NCAA, said in a news release.

Kansas Coach Bill Self was out of the office Friday and could not be reached for comment.

WFAA said Arthur's math teacher, Winford Ashmore, showed it documents to prove that Arthur's grades were changed three times.

Ashmore said that during Arthur's junior season in 2004-05, he did not receive any grades during his fall semester but that his grade was changed to a 70 in September 2005 without explanation.

He also said that during Arthur's freshman year, he told school officials that Arthur would fail his class despite their request to pass him. Days later, Arthur was dropped from Ashmore's class without the teacher's permission, WFAA said, and later was given a grade of 70.

The station also reported that Arthur failed math in the spring of 2003 with a grade of 64. But school records showed that in January of 2005, Moten allowed the failing grade to be changed to a 72.

James Mays, Arthur's basketball coach at South Oak Cliff, told the Lawrence-Journal World that the report was "totally ludicrous." He said one of Arthur's grades was changed due to teacher error.

"We've been fighting this with (WFAA) since last year," he said.

SoonerShark
5/16/2008, 08:49 PM
Wow! Kansas must be an easy school if a kid who flunked out of high school classes can make his grades for four college semesters.

badger
5/16/2008, 09:17 PM
KU can pull a USC and say "Uh, we had no idea" and get off scott free.

SoonerShark
5/16/2008, 10:06 PM
Of course, the NCAA cleared the kid for KU. We all depend upon the clearinghouse to take care of this. But if he is that bad a student, how is he staying eligible? That is Kansas' fault.

GrapevineSooner
5/17/2008, 12:28 AM
It's worth noting that SOC had a basketball title forfeited in 2006 because they were caught trying to cover for a player who was failing English, and then got transferred to a PE course.

Brett Shipp, who is doing this sweep's month investigative piece on Arthur, also did the work (http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw_files/71c1185e10a114e6c92047e95d793d51-445.html) on this story last year.

mdklatt
5/17/2008, 12:36 AM
KU can pull a USC and say "Uh, we had no idea" and get off scott free.

How were they supposed to know?

mdklatt
5/17/2008, 12:44 AM
But if he is that bad a student, how is he staying eligible? That is Kansas' fault.

Maybe he's not that bad of a student at KU. In one of the cases, his grade was changed from a 64 to 72. In many places, including college, a 64 would be a passing grade. There was zero evidence in that report that KU is complicit in anything.

And say he was having trouble at KU--is that any reason for them to suspect that his HS grades were fraudulent? There are plenty of HS honors students who have trouble in college.

Say, son, it looks like you're having trouble in calculus. Are you sure you passed HS algebra?

Frozen Sooner
5/17/2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I'm not really sure how KU is at fault here. Kid was eligible per the NCAA. If KU had no knowledge of the changed grade-and shouldn't reasonably have had knowledge of the changed grade-they're in the clear.

mdklatt
5/17/2008, 01:08 AM
If KU had no knowledge of the changed grade-and shouldn't reasonably have had knowledge of the changed grade-they're in the clear.

What would it take for a college to suspect that a student's HS grades were fraudulent in the first place? If you claim to be your class valedictorian and you're flunking MATH 0123 (yes, that's real class at OU :D) it might raise some eyebrows, but like I said above that's certainly not unprecedented. And presumably he had to get a minimum score on the SAT or ACT.

Frozen Sooner
5/17/2008, 01:18 AM
What would it take for a college to suspect that a student's HS grades were fraudulent in the first place? If you claim to be your class valedictorian and you're flunking MATH 0123 (yes, that's real class at OU :D) it might raise some eyebrows, but like I said above that's certainly not unprecedented. And presumably he had to get a minimum score on the SAT or ACT.

Exactly.

stoopified
5/17/2008, 11:04 AM
While KU could possibly skate,IMHO Arthur should be stripped of eligibility,which should simplify his decision to go or stay.

tulsaoilerfan
5/17/2008, 01:35 PM
Does anyone remember the Kerry Jackson-Mike Phillips transcript issues that got OU on probation back in 73? If you do, then how would this case be different and KU not get any probation? I'm confused.

Collier11
5/17/2008, 03:43 PM
I dont see anyway the ncaa can nail KU on this, he was cleared by the clearing house...how would KU know that his hs grades were altered

101sooner
5/17/2008, 04:44 PM
Does anyone remember the Kerry Jackson-Mike Phillips transcript issues that got OU on probation back in 73? If you do, then how would this case be different and KU not get any probation? I'm confused.

The HS coach that changed Jackson's grades told an OU coach that he had changed the grades. I don't know the exact details, but I suspect that the HS coach admitted to the NCAA that he had told an OU coach what he'd done, therefore, the NCAA was able to prove that OU knew what had happened.

Also, there was much more than just that one incident on that infractions report.

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBI.home

Violation Summary: Extra benefits; improper recruiting inducements; lodging, publicity and transportation; tryouts; excessive number of official visits; excessive time for official visits; academic fraud; eligibility; unethical conduct.

tulsaoilerfan
5/17/2008, 04:57 PM
I would find it hard to believe that someone at KU wouldn't know that his grades had been changed; too many people around with loose lips

starrca23
5/19/2008, 07:55 AM
I would find it hard to believe that someone at KU wouldn't know that his grades had been changed; too many people around with loose lips

Perhaps, but you probably hear that same rumor about all big time athletes at some point. This is way different from the USC thing. Not like the kids parents moved to a 400k house or he started driving a Lexus all of the sudden. I think this will be hard to prove anyway. As already stated, the NCAA cleared him to play, not Kansas.