PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Steak in the Norman/OKC Area?

Fraggle145
5/16/2008, 05:14 PM
What is the Best Steak in the Norman/OKC Area?

Need some quick advice... Please help! gotta take the gf's parents out to Dinner!

Viking Kitten
5/16/2008, 05:16 PM
Mickey Mantle's in Bricktown. Yum. Expensive, but yum.

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 05:19 PM
VK...

Do they have good liver? ;)

tommieharris91
5/16/2008, 05:27 PM
Chili's :D

sooner2b09
5/16/2008, 05:31 PM
Drive a bit north and go to Boulevard Steak House in Edmond, its great!

Viking Kitten
5/16/2008, 05:39 PM
Czar and I sat at a Blackjack table in Vegas with a guy from New York who travels for a living. We got to talking a bit, he found out where we're from OKC and told us the best steak he'd ever had in his life was the roquefort filet at MM's. When I finally got the chance to try it, I had to concur.

Sooner5030
5/16/2008, 06:16 PM
The tenderloin or marbled ribeye you can buy at the butcher.

Marinate overnight with sliced garlic, a bit a bourbon and some carbonated water.

Then place over bricket bbq grill for 20 mins (5/side/flip).

yummy!

proud gonzo
5/16/2008, 06:23 PM
Saltgrass Steakhouse

Okla-homey
5/16/2008, 06:59 PM
Mahogany's in Tulsa

stoops the eternal pimp
5/16/2008, 07:01 PM
MM's was very good but I was still starving when I left...So I went to the ballpark and ate my own weight in hot dogs

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 07:01 PM
Mahogany's in Tulsa

Agreed except for the one they slather with gorganzola cheese.

Okla-homey
5/16/2008, 07:06 PM
Agreed except for the one they slather with gorganzola cheese.

yep. them trailer dwellers in OKC ain't got no good chow down there.;)

moreover, I can buy an absolutely flawless hand-cut fresh filet at Siegi's that was on the hoof 72 hours earlier, grill it at 500 degrees on my BGE and put 'em all to shame.

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 07:07 PM

:D

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 07:08 PM
Dayum...I'm Honegray now.

BBL...

Fraggle145
5/16/2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! We went to Saltgrass... Not my first choice, but we had to decide in a hurry. Anyone ever been to Cattlemans? is it any good? BTW anyone know of a good butcher in Norman/OKC?

Best steak I ever had was the KC strip at Bob's in Dallas.

EDIT: I had the prime rib and it was pretty damn good.

Mjcpr
5/16/2008, 08:06 PM
BTW anyone know of a good butcher in Norman/OKC?

I think OUDoc is in that area somewhere.

Fraggle145
5/16/2008, 08:11 PM
I think OUDoc is in that area somewhere.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2007/facelift/lecter0103.jpg

BigRedJed
5/16/2008, 08:51 PM
1. Roquefort filet at Mickey Mantle's in OKC. I have said this for years on this board.

2. 40 day dry-aged ribeye with a coffee crust and red sauce at Red Prime, NW 4th and Broadway.

YWIA.

r5TPsooner
5/16/2008, 09:09 PM
Mickey Mantle = teh succ BIG TIME, good fish and rissoto tho.
Ranch Steakhouse = teh succ but great service nice selection of cigars.
Mahogany = teh succ big time, most overrated place in OKC.
Boulevard Steakhouse = teh yummy
OPUS = teh good
Haunted House = best steak in town until they recently changed the marinade that they've been serving for years. Still my fav tho.

Newbomb Turk
5/16/2008, 09:11 PM
Haunted House = best steak in town until they recently changed the marinade that they've been serving for years. Still my fav tho.

not when the wife and I went there a few years ago.

overdone steak and an old, bitchy hostess.

r5TPsooner
5/16/2008, 09:14 PM
not when the wife and I went there a few years ago.

overdone steak and an old, bitchy hostess.

You mean Marianne. She owns the place BTW. She knows us way to well.

soonermix
5/16/2008, 09:17 PM
Cattlemans

what did i win for being correct?

r5TPsooner
5/16/2008, 09:21 PM
Cattlemans

what did i win for being correct?

I went there one time.....

ONE

TIME

Newbomb Turk
5/16/2008, 09:24 PM

ONE

TIME

agree. overrated.

r5TPsooner
5/16/2008, 09:25 PM
agree. overrated.

The only thing missing from my meal was the **** roach that I knew the place was littered with.

XingTheRubicon
5/16/2008, 10:37 PM
The blue ribbon ribeye at Cattlemens is probably the best steak I've ever had.

It's USDA top 2% select beef and not seasoned with any fancy sauce.

Just cow.

SteelClip49
5/17/2008, 02:20 AM
Steak & Shake

Cam
5/17/2008, 05:02 AM

ONE

TIME

Same here. Wasn't worth the wait IMO.

I need to try some of these other places though.

The best I've ever had was at Papas Bro's in Dallas. Mmmmm, yummy.

5/17/2008, 06:39 AM
I'm a huge fane of Ruth's Chris, but when I don't have a $130 to blow, I haven't found a steak better than my home-grilled masterpiece. I marinade two ribeyes overnight. Terriaki, course black pepper, a shot of onion powder, brown sugar and a couple shots of Jack.

Yum.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/17/2008, 06:41 AM
Certainly not Red Prime in OKC, worst service and steak I and Mrs. THA have ever had. The place was terrible, loud, gauche and extremely lacking in service. And they can't cook a medium steak. Mrs. THA had 2 steaks and they burned it twice. Mine was done correctly, but I finished and waited for my wife. The manager/owner never came over to us after the first problem, he was too busy walking around talking on his cell phone trying to look important. The mash were KFC grade, the green beans were limp, old and chewy. I seriously doubt the steaks were dry aged as advertised, they were terrible, the crust and sauce was to smother the taste. A dry aged steak should be enjoyed for itself alone, no embellishments.

I would recommend Mickey Mantle's, the Coach House or the Park Avenue Grill in the Skirvin Hotel.

Turd_Ferguson
5/17/2008, 07:34 AM
I et at MM's once after a golf tournament. My taste bud's were too drowned in beer to give a ranking on the steak. I like Cattleman's salad and toasted bread but not the steaks. I usually get the CFS, which is meh. I think Outback on 240 has a very good filett and 75% of the time I can cut it with a fork. The very best filett I've ever had was from Chop's in Buckhead, and Pauls Porter House in Big D.

sooneron
5/17/2008, 08:47 AM
Certainly not Red Prime in OKC, worst service and steak I and Mrs. THA have ever had. The place was terrible, loud, gauche and extremely lacking in service. And they can't cook a medium steak. Mrs. THA had 2 steaks and they burned it twice. Mine was done correctly, but I finished and waited for my wife. The manager/owner never came over to us after the first problem, he was too busy walking around talking on his cell phone trying to look important. The mash were KFC grade, the green beans were limp, old and chewy. I seriously doubt the steaks were dry aged as advertised, they were terrible, the crust and sauce was to smother the taste. A dry aged steak should be enjoyed for itself alone, no embellishments.

I would recommend Mickey Mantle's, the Coach House or the Park Avenue Grill in the Skirvin Hotel.

I have no idea what night you were there, but when we went, everything was teh win. The rib eye RMFO. We had the crunchy spinach and something else - can't remember, but everything was great. The service was really good, too. We had a great time and it was an excellent steak experience. I have eaten at Angelo & Maxie's, S&W's (the real one in NYC), Peter Luger's, Sparks, Craft Steak, Uncle Jack's (NYC), Mickey Mantle's, 5 different Palms, Boulevard and many other high end spots. Red Prime was on par or better than a lot of them.

StoopTroup
5/17/2008, 09:03 AM

moreover, I can buy an absolutely flawless hand-cut fresh filet at Siegi's that was on the hoof 72 hours earlier, grill it at 500 degrees on my BGE and put 'em all to shame.

BTW...

After I left the board last night...I ended up at the new Pei Wei on Brookside.

The Kung Pow Chicken...although tasty was a tad overdone for me but I suffered through it as I have this sinus thing going on and needed the spicy relief.

I like the Brookside one a lot better than 61st and Yale.

That is all.

soonerinabilene
5/17/2008, 10:25 AM
Fraggle, please tell me that you got the cheesecake at Saltgrass. Oh, and the appetizer shrimp and chicken wrapped in bacon stuff. Ive always thought their steaks were good, not great, but the appetizer and cheesecake more than made up for it.

soonerinabilene
5/17/2008, 10:26 AM
{obligatory} RYANS STEAKHOUSE {obligatory}

Harry Beanbag
5/17/2008, 10:31 AM
{obligatory} RYANS STEAKHOUSE {obligatory}

I only get the beefaroni there.

soonerboomer93
5/17/2008, 10:39 AM
I'm a huge fane of Ruth's Chris, but when I don't have a $130 to blow, I haven't found a steak better than my home-grilled masterpiece. I marinade two ribeyes overnight. Terriaki, course black pepper, a shot of onion powder, brown sugar and a couple shots of Jack.

Yum.

if you're doing that to the marinade, why don't you just use soy and make your own marinade

soy, brown sugar, garlic are the primary ingrediants in a self made terriyaki marinade

Harry Beanbag
5/17/2008, 10:40 AM
if you're doing that to the marinade, why don't you just use soy and make your own marinade

soy, brown sugar, garlic are the primary ingrediants in a self made terriyaki marinade

:les: DON'T FORGET THE JACK!!!!1!!!!11!

sooneron
5/17/2008, 10:41 AM

I only use my bastard teriyaki on flank. Bastard, because I don't use the sugar. I like mine better b/c I use real garlic cloves.

Mjcpr
5/17/2008, 10:45 AM
You should drop in a few Twizzlers for some texture.

sooneron
5/17/2008, 10:46 AM
Charleston's in Norman (on a good night) makes a decent steak. Good night not being Friday or Saturday when they are hella packed.

SteelClip49
5/17/2008, 12:17 PM
Several Miami fans I know and met up with when they were here ventured over to Cattlemen's and said it was the best steak they ever had and for a great price. You can never go wrong with Cattlemen's. We also need a damn Lawry's steakhouse. Oh, and Jamil's Steakhouse on Lincoln is hella good.

OklaPony
5/17/2008, 12:36 PM
For the best median-priced steak in the OKC area, I'd have to go with Outback if for no other reason that their consistency. It's always decent and occasionally great, but never amazing.

I'm not really familiar with the "finer" steakhouses of OKC so for amazing, I'm gonna have to go with Nick & Sam's in Dallas or Vic & Anthony's at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas.

RiddlerOK
5/17/2008, 01:23 PM
I have to agree about Outback. They are by far the best chain steakhouse in the area. I've done all the others including Texas Roadhouse, Chili's and Saltgrass and none of them have a ribeye that compares. I am going to try MM's next. Haven't been there and have heard too many good things about it to keep passing it up.

proud gonzo
5/17/2008, 01:29 PM
Fraggle, please tell me that you got the cheesecake at Saltgrass. Oh, and the appetizer shrimp and chicken wrapped in bacon stuff. Ive always thought their steaks were good, not great, but the appetizer and cheesecake more than made up for it.
their cheesecake is AWESOME. *drools*

soonerinabilene
5/17/2008, 01:33 PM
I have to agree about Outback. They are by far the best chain steakhouse in the area. I've done all the others including Texas Roadhouse, Chili's and Saltgrass and none of them have a ribeye that compares. I am going to try MM's next. Haven't been there and have heard too many good things about it to keep passing it up.

Outback is good if you like pan-seared, non-flavored meat.

Civicus_Sooner
5/17/2008, 01:34 PM
Red Prime

Jimminy Crimson
5/17/2008, 01:58 PM
RedPrime is tops in my book. Ranch, Boulevard, MM's, & Mahogany are all pretty even for me (that being very good and consistent). OPUS is right behind them. Then Cattlemen's, for the nostalgia.

That's judging them from atmosphere, wine, my cut of choice (ribeye, preferably a bone-in ribeye), sides, and bang/buck.

I'd put Saltgrass, Outback, Steak & Ale, and the rest of the 'chain gang' either above or below Cattlemen's, depending on the night.

Civicus_Sooner
5/17/2008, 06:43 PM
lol, we call it, "Ache and Stale."

;)

Viking Kitten
5/17/2008, 06:53 PM
As far as your basic steak, salad and tater goes, Cattlemen's has rarely disappointed me. We have out-of-town extended family who make a Cattlemen's visit everytime they come home. As far as I'm concerned it beats the living crap out of Outback, which to me is about the most meh place on the planet.

GottaHavePride
5/17/2008, 08:35 PM
...I just like candles...

oRccEUptM0E

Heh.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/17/2008, 10:44 PM
Who remembers Glenn's Hickory Inn, on Tenth and May? Best steak(NY Sirloin of course)that I ever had in OK. They thrived until some time in the mid 80's, then, mysteriously went belly up. Any stories or info, anyone?

King Crimson
5/18/2008, 12:46 AM
Who remembers Glenn's Hickory Inn, on Tenth and May? Best steak(NY Sirloin of course)that I ever had in OK. They thrived until some time in the mid 80's, then, mysteriously went belly up. Any stories or info, anyone?

i remember the name Glen's Hickory Inn from childhood. but, i don't think i ever went there.

Indian Hills or whatever it's called now used to be a fave of my Dad's way back inna day. we went a couple years ago and it was OK. certainly not great by any means. He stoppe going there a long time ago, but i kind of talked him into it.

now, the one thing IH has going for it is the lawsuit to form the CFA and sue the NCAA under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act was hatched as a bet over drinks and steaks there and went the Supreme Court....the story goes.

everybody nation-wide who watches 18 college football games guzzling beer from dawn til dusk on Saturday owes a nod of spek there. Boomer Sooner.

r5TPsooner
5/18/2008, 09:10 AM
The best steak and meal in general that I've ever had belongs to the Morton's in Dallas and the one in Minneapolis. You can beat the service, steak, and cigar lounge. Plus, in all of my travels no one makes a better lobster bisque on the planet. The mashed taters are to die for as well. Elegant dining at its finest.

Wish we had one in OKC to rid us of the poseur's lime MM and Cattlemen's.

5/18/2008, 11:26 AM
The original Chris' Steak house in New Orleans has the finest steaks in my memory. Of course, that later became Ruth's Chris Steaks. We have several here in PHX, and they are damn good. I take it OKC and Tulsa don't have Ruth's Chris...

r5TPsooner
5/18/2008, 12:31 PM
The original Chris' Steak house in New Orleans has the finest steaks in my memory. Of course, that later became Ruth's Chris Steaks. We have several here in PHX, and they are damn good. I take it OKC and Tulsa don't have Ruth's Chris...

Haven't you heard? When the NBA comes to town all of the "big time" stuff will come to OKC.:D

5/18/2008, 12:37 PM
Haven't you heard? When the NBA comes to town all of the "big time" stuff will come to OKC.:DCould we unload the Arizona Cardinals on you guys at the same time?

r5TPsooner
5/18/2008, 12:39 PM
Could we unload the Arizona Cardinals on you guys at the same time?

One loser of a professional sports franchise is enough, but thanks for the offer.:D

Civicus_Sooner
5/18/2008, 02:17 PM
Ruth's Chris is decent but still a chain. the topic is, steak houses in OKC/Norman.

I don't count any chain as a real steak house.

We have several great ones.

King Crimson
5/18/2008, 02:45 PM
Ruth's Chris is decent but still a chain. the topic is, steak houses in OKC/Norman.

I don't count any chain as a real steak house.

We have several great ones.

agree.

5/18/2008, 04:14 PM
agree.agree also, except I didn't see the rule stating no chain restaurants allowed. BTW, Civicus, have you ever experienced a REAL threadjack? (IOW, Excuuuuuse me, captain)

TheHumanAlphabet
5/19/2008, 09:57 AM
I have no idea what night you were there, but when we went, everything was teh win. The rib eye RMFO. We had the crunchy spinach and something else - can't remember, but everything was great. The service was really good, too. We had a great time and it was an excellent steak experience. I have eaten at Angelo & Maxie's, S&W's (the real one in NYC), Peter Luger's, Sparks, Craft Steak, Uncle Jack's (NYC), Mickey Mantle's, 5 different Palms, Boulevard and many other high end spots. Red Prime was on par or better than a lot of them.

Wow , quite surprised to hear this. We were there Easter weekend. Like I said, the service was not attentive, the drinks were not very good. My fault, I didn't look at the wine bottle closely, but it wasn't what we ordered - I fault my self there. How do you burn 2 steaks? The only person to ask if we enjoyed our evening was the parking valet at the end.

I too have been to many steak houses, I would not go back to Red Prime, way over priced and too pretentious. My wife was near tears her meal was so bad and she was so disappointed. Mrs. THA doesn't come forth with tears often.

r5TPsooner
5/19/2008, 12:12 PM
I went to Ruth Chris in D.C. with the wife and a buttered flavored steak is just not for me.

5/19/2008, 12:26 PM
I went to Ruth Chris in D.C. with the wife and a buttered flavored steak is just not for me.Make it stop! No chains, and no other cities!

TheHumanAlphabet
5/19/2008, 02:34 PM
I don't get Ruth's Chris either. Meh.

5/19/2008, 02:43 PM
I don't get Ruth's Chris either. Meh.MODS!

Civicus_Sooner
5/19/2008, 07:04 PM
Wow , quite surprised to hear this. We were there Easter weekend. Like I said, the service was not attentive, the drinks were not very good. My fault, I didn't look at the wine bottle closely, but it wasn't what we ordered - I fault my self there. How do you burn 2 steaks? The only person to ask if we enjoyed our evening was the parking valet at the end.

I too have been to many steak houses, I would not go back to Red Prime, way over priced and too pretentious. My wife was near tears her meal was so bad and she was so disappointed. Mrs. THA doesn't come forth with tears often.
You went om Easter? Go on Mon. thru Sat. That's when the executive chefs work. Their chefs are what set them apart. Get the sous chefs on Sunday and it probably is just like any other steak joint.

Harry Beanbag
5/19/2008, 07:11 PM
It takes an executive chef to cook a steak properly?

Civicus_Sooner
5/19/2008, 07:13 PM
It takes an executive chef to cook a steak properly?

When you are splitting hairs to the point that we are, yes.

You over cook at $30 piece of meat...

swardboy
5/19/2008, 07:18 PM

I lived in OKC in the late 70's and enjoyed Glenn's lunch buffet every Thursday...sometimes steaks and ribs! Just down the road there was a 'family style' fried chicken place that was nice. Finest prime rib I ever had was at the Hungry Peddler...another good place then was Fred Gang's...don't know if they were chains but they had might fine meat.

Harry Beanbag
5/19/2008, 07:22 PM
When you are splitting hairs to the point that we are, yes.

You over cook at $30 piece of meat...

I guess I'm a better "chef" than I thought. :texan:

Sooner_Havok
5/19/2008, 07:27 PM
I'm not going to say it was the best, but the steak I got at the Wilds a few years back was definitely good

C&CDean
5/19/2008, 08:38 PM
What I've learned from this thread:

A whole lot of people like mediocre steaks. A whole lot of people think that if they go to a place one time, and it didn't give them that religious experience they were searching for then it sucks. A whole lot of people need to seriously stay out of Outback.

I've had the MM roquefort steak 3-4 times. It's good, but not heavenly.

I've had Ruth's Chris' filet 5-6 times. It's good, but no heavenly.

I've had McCormick & Schmidts filet a few times. Pretty good.

I've had St. Elmos in Indy. Average.

I've had Del Frisco's, III Forks, and Shula's. All very good.

The best? The 29 cents a pound filet I cook at the house. We butchered a young calf last year and the filets, cooked with just some olive oil, sea salt, and crushed black pepper were far and away the best hunk of meat I've ever stuck in my face.

I'd rather eat at McDonald's than Outback. Me and momma have given it a couple tries over the past 6 months or so and I just don't see what people see in those salty, overcooked, crappy steaks.

achiro
5/19/2008, 09:05 PM
Chicaros in Enid, by far the best steaks I've eaten at a restaurant...ANYWHERE.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/20/2008, 09:12 AM
You went om Easter? Go on Mon. thru Sat. That's when the executive chefs work. Their chefs are what set them apart. Get the sous chefs on Sunday and it probably is just like any other steak joint.

No, it was Easter Saturday.

Oh and Dean, we weren't searching for a religious experience. Just a good meal. I would expect better than KFC style mash and limp and cold green beans regardless. The steak, you can have an interpretation. The problem we had was 2 steaks were burned - how do you burne a medium rare steak? Also, both times they had turned the steak over, so you wouldn't see the burned parts...Those steaks should have never gotten past the expediter.

Fraggle145
5/20/2008, 09:42 AM
I am going to have to agree way too many people in this thread go to Outback.

Do we have a Ruth's Cris in Norman/OKC? ;)

I guess I should have said where can I get the best value for my money at a steak place around here... I was trying to find something that wasn't a chain.

I think Fogo is pretty good although that is not a conventional "steakhouse"

If I want a dynamite RMFO steak I am going back to Bob's in Dallas or to Dean's house.

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 09:50 AM
If I want a dynamite RMFO steak I am going back to Bob's in Dallas or to Dean's house.

From my tailgating experience with Dean...the Man simply does everything he can to make your experience one of the best you'll ever have.

If you got an invite to dinner at Deans...I'm betting he's gonna stick the best hunk of meat in your face that you've ever had.

Partial Qualifier
5/20/2008, 10:43 AM
If you got an invite to dinner at Deans...I'm betting he's gonna stick the best hunk of meat in your face that you've ever had.

Dude, this is a FAMILY board!

Swardboy mentioned Hungry Peddler's prime rib. Never eaten there, but County Line bbq place out tehre by the CHOF has the best prime rib I've ever had.

OklahomaRed
5/20/2008, 11:21 AM
Outback sucks. :D

Dean's House Steak RMFO ! :D Maybe he ought to start his own steakhouse? "Dean's Steakhouse", or CCCC Steakhouse !! Awesome.

BigRedJed
5/21/2008, 10:01 AM
Dean's right about not writing a place off after one visit. Frankly, I could understand not wanting to go back, but you can't with authority say that the place "sucks." You CAN say with authority that you had a bad experience there once.

And people who haven't been to all of the places that purport to be and represented here as being a top steakhouse in the city simply have no business pronouncing one steak "the best in the city."

I have been to everyplace mentioned in here who can make a legitmate claim to being a "top steakhouse." Most that I can think of other than Mahogany I have been to multiple times. The jury is still out for me on Mahogany. The meal I had was fine, service pretty good.

I have heard from people whose opinions I really respect (several in fact who run other top-notch steakhouses themselves) that it is in their opinions fantastic. I also have talked to people of the same ilk who think it's pretty pedestrian. I'm in no hurry to try my second visit (mostly because it's out-of-the-way), but I'll be back.

Opus Prime has problems, IMO. I thought it was telling that in all of the PR leading up to their opening, they talked incessantly about the building, and some about the partnership, and NEVER about the food. I'll give it another shot too, but I'm even less excited about that place than Mahogany.

Boulevard is consistently the most overrated place in the metro. I have been there at least a half-dozen times and never got anything better than a pretty decent steak. I've had food come to me cold. I've had servers forget that my party was there. The flavors are not challenging or especially rewarding, at all. I think it's interesting that everytime I hear someone pimp Boulevard they never mention a specific steak, or anything other than that the place is good. And pretentious? Geez. That place is dripping with faked "tradition." Sorry, it is just lame. I guess some people see gaudy furnishings and think it equals a great steak. I will never darken the door of the place again unless forced to by friends or business. There are too many other GOOD good places to spend a wad of cash on a steak.

Cattleman's? C'mon. I love the place. It's a great slice of OKC history. A great place to take someone from out of town, as long as you also take them to a place where they can get a steak that knocks their socks off while they're here. Cattleman's is better for breakfast or lunch than as a place to get a steak dinner, IMO.

Red Prime has become one of my new favorites, although I have had one bad experience out of probably a half-dozen experiences. Not a great record, but I'll give new places a chance to get the bugs worked out. The one bad experience included slow turnaround on the food, although the waiter (a guy I've known for years) took care of us well. The steaks were also overcooked, which they replaced. The several fantastic steaks I've had there make me really willing to keep trying, though. Go there on a good night (which outweigh the sketchy ones, in my experience), and you'll be singing the same tune I am. And I'm puzzled about the suggestions that it is "pretentious." The place has raw brick walls fercryinoutloud. I think it is just a different experience than most people are used to, mostly due to the lights and unusual architecture.

Like I've said before and keep saying, Mickey Mantle's is the best place in town if you're serious about your steak and not buying into a bunch of hype. Just solid, great eats. I'm sure Dean makes a mean steak, and I have no doubt that steaks that are turned out at homes all over the place are equal to or greater than just about any restaurant steak, so it's not really a fair comparison. Especially when you consider that when you make a steak at home you can prepare and season it to your own personal palate, which might be highly specialized and very different from the public at large, who restaurants have to cater to.

Plus, we're supposedly limiting talk here to restaurants. MM's is consistently excellent. I have eaten there dozens of times, and only had one poor experience, on a New Year's eve a few years back, when they were beyond slammed.

Of course, someone could have been there for their first or only visit on a night like that. If so, I would encourage them to go back a time or two, and would say the same for any place.

soonerbrat
5/21/2008, 10:03 AM
Like I've said before and keep saying, Mickey Mantle's is the best place in town if you're serious about your steak and not buying into a bunch of hype. Just solid, great eats. I'm sure Dean makes a mean steak, and I have no doubt that steaks that are turned out at homes all over the place are equal to or greater than just about any restaurant steak, so it's not really a fair comparison. Especially when you consider that when you make a steak at home you can prepare and season it to your own personal palate, which might be highly specialized and very different from the public at large, who restaurants have to cater to.

Plus, we're supposedly limiting talk here to restaurants. MM's is consistently excellent. I have eaten there dozens of times, and only had one poor experience, on a New Year's eve a few years back, when they were beyond slammed.

Of course, someone could have been there for their first or only visit on a night like that. If so, I would encourage them to go back a time or two, and would say the same for any place.

I've had a bad experience there with the steak
but the happy hour is well...happy

frankensooner
5/21/2008, 10:18 AM
Edna used to serve up a mean steak back in the day. I think her mom used to cook them up in the back, I heard she has passed away though.

I might try MM's on my birfday, I am still wary of BRJ's opinion since Stumpy's was a bust. ;)

r5TPsooner
5/21/2008, 10:20 AM
Mickey Mantle's is probably the most overrated restaurant in Bricktown. No, it IS the most overrated restaurant in Bricktown. Service is OK, the food is below average for the prices that they ask, and the place seems to have an inner clash between itself, if its a sports bar or upscale restaurant. The nicest thing about Mickey Mantle's is the pictures and memorabilia. I wanted to love the place since I'm a big Yankees fan but having eaten there three times, I can honestly say no thanks. I can also honestly say that their food has the most boring flavors and presentation that I've ever seen. I've seen better presentation at Outback.

As far as steak goes... nothing beats my own. But, If I want to lay down two bills for dinner, I'm driving to Dallas to eat at Morton's.

C&CDean
5/21/2008, 10:20 AM
Edna used to serve up a mean steak back in the day. I think her mom used to cook them up in the back, I heard she has passed away though.

I might try MM's on my birfday, I am still wary of BRJ's opinion since Stumpy's was a bust. ;)

Just go for Friday night happy hour. That way even if you get a ****ty steak, you won't remember it.

I've done their happy hour a couple of times and it's pretty good. I think they have specials on the beers, but I know they don't on double shots of Jameson. Pricey...

BigRedJed
5/21/2008, 10:23 AM
...I might try MM's on my birfday, I am still wary of BRJ's opinion since Stumpy's was a bust. ;)
...after going there once. ONCE!! :mad:

stoopified
5/21/2008, 10:38 AM
Cattlemans ?

sooneron
5/21/2008, 10:42 AM

You're surprised? You're the only one saying that RP is no bueno.

Boomer.....
5/21/2008, 10:45 AM
I personally don't know how any steak can beat Mahogany's. It is pricey but well worth it every now and then.

tommieharris91
5/21/2008, 10:54 AM

Just make sure to leave a whole buncha candy wrappers around his house and blow your snot in his shower before you leave. Ohh and mess up his bedsheets too (no, not that way, pervs).

achiro
5/21/2008, 11:10 AM
I've already told you all where the best steak around is but keep ignoring me, it's your loss and will keep this small little of the beaten path place quiet and quirky just the way I like it. ;)

frankensooner
5/21/2008, 11:40 AM
So, if I go to MM on my birfday, I should hit it between 4:30 and 6:30 and get the Roquefort Filet. Is it worth the 30 bucks + price? Should I get the 7 or 10 oz? tia. And BRJ, I have tried Stumpy's 3 times. I guess we will just have to disagree on that one! ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
5/21/2008, 12:52 PM
You're surprised? You're the only one saying that RP is no bueno.

Surprised, because they acted as very nonchalantly regarding the whole meal. The waiter even seemed to know how the evening was going to end for us and didn't ask if we wanted desert, et cetera. So I am surprised other people are not experiencing the same.

I do agree somewhat with the previous comment of not forming an opinion on one event. But at these prices and at this level of restaurant, you pretty much get one chance to make an impression. We didn't like their other restaurant that much (Cheever's) so RP is one and done for us.

r5TPsooner
5/21/2008, 01:13 PM
I personally don't know how any steak can beat Mahogany's. It is pricey but well worth it every now and then.

The one in Tulsa might be good but the one on Memorial in OKC SUCKS. I'd rather have a steak from (gulp) Outback, get the awesome wings, and save myself $125 in the process.

Had a steak the other nite from Deep Fork Grill over by Penn Square. Decent steak and moderately price. Plus the service was excellent.

nmsoonergirl
5/21/2008, 05:42 PM
Surprised, because they acted as very nonchalantly regarding the whole meal. The waiter even seemed to know how the evening was going to end for us and didn't ask if we wanted desert, et cetera. So I am surprised other people are not experiencing the same.

I do agree somewhat with the previous comment of not forming an opinion on one event. But at these prices and at this level of restaurant, you pretty much get one chance to make an impression. We didn't like their other restaurant that much (Cheever's) so RP is one and done for us.

We also had a pretty bad experience at RP. To their credit, they've really tried to make it up to us, but the mistakes they made when we were there were completely inexcusable for a high end place. I think maybe they just aren't ready for the big time staff wise, because in all fairness our steaks were actually VERY good.

Cheevers is actually one of our favorite restaurants in the country, however, and RP has been very generous with incentives to get us back there, so I'll try them again but honestly I'm not very optimistic.

sooneron
5/22/2008, 07:57 AM
I do agree somewhat with the previous comment of not forming an opinion on one event. But at these prices and at this level of restaurant, you pretty much get one chance to make an impression.

This, I agree with.

OUDoc
5/22/2008, 08:10 AM

I was going to mention this. The last time I went, I didn't like the steak as much. Why did they change it?