PDA

View Full Version : Horseback Riding

soonerhubs
5/16/2008, 02:00 PM
Three weeks ago, I rode a green-broke mare that my Dad said was gentle. The first time in ten years, mind you, that I've ridden. After 4 minutes she sent me flying right into the soft pasture dirt. I rolled over checked my bones and vitals, and then cussed Dad for a minute or two. I rode the other colt for about 10 minutes and called it a day.

Last week, Mrs. S.H. and I went back to ride horses. This go around, I rode the colt mostly, but I was able to take the mare for about 20 minutes, and she was much gentler.

The point: I have fallen in love with horse back riding, and we have to get back to the folks' place soon because there is nothing better than touring Green Country on horseback. We visited an old Cherokee Cemetery out in one of the side fields, and we also explored all the old ponds and even a hand dug well from days of yore. We came out of it with two ticks and a little saddle sore after three hours, but it was worth every minute.

I'm taking a camera next time. I truly was born and grew up in God's country.

Melo
5/16/2008, 02:40 PM
I would give up everything I own just to have a frequent opportunity to ride.

I inherited my mothers love for horses. We're talking bookshelves full of horse books, horse statues, pictures, glass figurines, horseshoes, stuffed animals. When I was way younger, I probably had every toy horse that Barbie ever had.

Now of course, most of that stuff is packed up in the garage waiting, hopefully, for another child to fall in love with them.

Before I left for Blinn (Its already been 3 years :eek:) I had been learning how to barrel race, and it is probably one of my fondest memories, evar.

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 02:44 PM
I would give up everything I own just to have a frequent opportunity to ride.

You should be more careful how you state your passions on the SO IMHO. ;) :D

Melo
5/16/2008, 02:50 PM
You should be more careful how you state your passions on the SO IMHO. ;) :D

Anyone who comes up with those thoughts and voices them where a little girl can read them, and mayhap cry over it, is a sick, perverted old bastage who deserves to have his junk continually papercutted until they pass out from blood loss.

Just sayin.

soonerhubs
5/16/2008, 02:52 PM
Wow! Ummm... back to Green Country and horses. I'm debating on whether or not to take the 2.5 hour drive out there tonight to ride tomorry.

Melo
5/16/2008, 02:53 PM
Debate over.
Do it.

soonerhubs
5/16/2008, 02:56 PM
Ya, you're right. I'm a start packing.

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 03:00 PM
Anyone who comes up with those thoughts and voices them where a little girl can read them, and mayhap cry over it, is a sick, perverted old bastage who deserves to have his junk continually papercutted until they pass out from blood loss.

Just sayin.

I believe your right.

Your gonna do well in the Military.

Your still going right?

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 03:05 PM

Good on you.

I miss riding.

The last time was in the Grand Tetons/Jackson Hole WY.

Four days we camped and rode.

I remember going back through Ohare Airport thinking..."Honey...let's get back on the plane and go back."

Have fun.

Melo
5/16/2008, 03:06 PM
I believe your right.

Your gonna do well in the Military.

Your still going right?

I would be gone already if they would give me a contract. I talk with my recruiter often, and I think he truly feels bad for me that I havent gotten one. He showed me the qualified waiting list. He showed me where a girl with a lower asvab score got a job that I had listed as my #4 or 5 job. There are people in the DEP with me that processed after me that have contracts and are leaving before me, with General Open jobs. Which I listed as well. My recruiter tells me that with my score, theyre waiting to match me up with one of my top 3 jobs? I didnt know they put THAT much consideration into the process.

Anyways, from what I have figured out, its been about a 5 month wait for most of the people in my DEP, so even if I get a contract in June, I wont leave till the end of the year.

SoonerStormchaser
5/16/2008, 03:14 PM
I dunno about horseback riding, but my wife likes another kind of riding ;)

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 03:14 PM
I didnt know they put THAT much consideration into the process.
Anyways, from what I have figured out, its been about a 5 month wait for most of the people in my DEP, so even if I get a contract in June, I wont leave till the end of the year.

Same here about the consideration.

If I was running it...

You'd pass a backround check and a physical and mental eval and you'd be off faster than a lit bottle rocket on the 4th of July.

Things have sure changed.

I know most here are rooting for ya.

Hang in there.

soonerbrat
5/16/2008, 03:24 PM

donkeys?

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 03:24 PM

Just sayin.

Hey Melo...

Checkout the sick puppies in this one...:D

I bet some of them are old too.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112692

soonerhubs
5/16/2008, 03:39 PM

... and to think I'd just gotten Big and Rich out of my memory. :( ;)

Melo
5/16/2008, 04:47 PM
Same here about the consideration.

If I was running it...

You'd pass a backround check and a physical and mental eval and you'd be off faster than a lit bottle rocket on the 4th of July.

Things have sure changed.

I know most here are rooting for ya.

Hang in there.

My recruiter also told me it would take longer with all the background checks, credit check, etc, based on my scores.

I really didnt think my score was 'ZOMG AWESOME!', but it doesnt really say a whole lot, I think, for the people getting shipped out REALLY quickly with lower scores.

olevetonahill
5/16/2008, 04:51 PM

Broom ?

SoonerStormchaser
5/16/2008, 05:00 PM
Bareback...you sissy marys!

5/16/2008, 05:02 PM
It pretty much goes without saying that many of us in the SO are sophomores at the highest. Actually, more like 6th graders.

And as for the topic, I spent a week roaming through a small, remote canyon in far northwest Oklahoma recently and there is nothing more free than that. Just me, my kids and three horses. We spent one night under the stars with VERY fresh black bass, a can of corn and some marshmallows.

I don't think the lay of the land is of paramount importance. It's more of an escape from everything that doesn't matter that makes the deal.

olevetonahill
5/16/2008, 05:08 PM

A long time ago (20 plus yrs)
One Of My friends and I went to Big Cedar
The folks where we were staying had some horses , ASked If we could ride ? They said Hell Yea . the Hosses Need to Be ridin
My Bud and I go out to the Barn and saddle up An Older Mare and a young Stallion .Now I aint Cowboy Bob But Ive Ridin a few . WE saddle up these 2 HossesI tell My Bud Take the Mare cause, Hes skeered and she seems Kinda Gentle .
WE ride Outta the Barn , as we go Off of into the woods Everyones waving at us and Yelling. WE Yell and wave Back and Go on
The Mare wasnt a Bad horse But that young Stallion was the Dumbest Mofo I ever Forked , He didnt Know Come Here from sicem , when It came to neckreining. Pressure him with the Knees and He just laid them ears Back .
I told My Bud this Is the stupidist Horse I ever Been on .
After about m3 Hrs riding we Head Back to the Barn , Get there Unsaddle em and Brush em Down, Give em some Oates and Hay .
We wash Up and Go see all the Folks that are still standing around
Then I find Out :eek:
They was wavin and Yellin Cause that Young Stallion Had NEVAR had a Saddle Let alone a Peeps On him
So I spent the Next week Gentle Breakin Him .
True storey from the Olevet Files.

olevetonahill
5/16/2008, 05:09 PM
Bareback...you sissy marys!

So she rides Her Broom Bareback with Her sister Mary ?

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 05:16 PM
The folks where we were staying had some horses , ASked If we could ride ? They said Hell Yea . the Hosses Need to Be ridin
My Bud and I go out to the Barn and saddle up An Older Mare and a young Stallion .Now I aint Cowboy Bob But Ive Ridin a few . WE saddle up these 2 HossesI tell My Bud Take the Mare cause, Hes skeered and she seems Kinda Gentle .
WE ride Outta the Barn , as we go Off of into the woods Everyones waving at us and Yelling. WE Yell and wave Back and Go on
The Mare wasnt a Bad horse But that young Stallion was the Dumbest Mofo I ever Forked , He didnt Know Come Here from sicem , when It came to neckreining. Pressure him with the Knees and He just laid them ears Back .
After about m3 Hrs riding we Head Back to the Barn , Get there Unsaddle em and Brush em Down, Give em some Oates and Hay .
They was wavin and Yellin Cause that Young Stallion Had NEVAR had a Saddle Let alone a Peeps On him

That very same thing happened to me on my Wedding Night, only I had the young Mare.

olevetonahill
5/16/2008, 05:29 PM
That very same thing happened to me on my Wedding Night, only I had the young Mare.

Sure I believe Ya got a Virgin ! Like I believe Ya got a 1943 copper penny !:P

soonerhubs
5/17/2008, 10:17 PM
Let me know the next time you head by Gore, and I'll have to schedule a trip out that way. We had so much fun today.

Mjcpr
5/17/2008, 10:31 PM
I'm out by Gore all the time. :D

soonerhubs
5/17/2008, 10:37 PM
I'm out by Gore all the time. :D

Sounds like a plan. Just lemme know when you wanna do dinner at the Fin. Saturdays are usually best for us. June is a good month.