PDA

View Full Version : Green thumbs out there...

soonerhubs
5/16/2008, 01:35 PM
If you were stuck in an apartment what crops would you grow? Presently I've got pots of Tomatoes, Squash, Strawberries, Onions, and Peppers. I'm sure once the PhD is done and we get a house, I plan to grow a HUGE garden. It's so relaxing. Anyone else have any experience or wisdom in this area?

badger
5/16/2008, 01:40 PM
If you were stuck in an apartment what crops would you grow? Presently I've got pots of Tomatoes, Squash, Strawberries, Onions, and Peppers. I'm sure once the PhD is done and we get a house, I plan to grow a HUGE garden. It's so relaxing. Anyone else have any experience or wisdom in this area?

One of the most useful indoor plants around is aloe vera. You can grow in indoors next to a window and it provides very useful medicine for sunburns and healing cuts.

I've tried growing indoor tomatoes, but we had flourescent lights camped directly above them (only a few inches above the tallest plant), so you might want to go for more house-like plants, such as ferns (wonderful). If they provide you with a balcony or deck, or just a window you can hang stuff outside, I'd recommend geraniums, which you need to bring inside during the winter, but it has nice blossoms during the spring and summer and are very colorful.

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 01:42 PM
http://www.thehomegrown.com/gallery/3/marijuana.jpg

soonerhubs
5/16/2008, 01:44 PM
One of the most useful indoor plants around is aloe vera. You can grow in indoors next to a window and it provides very useful medicine for sunburns and healing cuts.

I've tried growing indoor tomatoes, but we had flourescent lights camped directly above them (only a few inches above the tallest plant), so you might want to go for more house-like plants, such as ferns (wonderful). If they provide you with a balcony or deck, or just a window you can hang stuff outside, I'd recommend geraniums, which you need to bring inside during the winter, but it has nice blossoms during the spring and summer and are very colorful.
Thanks for the tips. This is my first time, since childhood, growing crops, and it is SO FUN! I see what my grandpa's obsession with gardening was all about now.

soonerhubs
5/16/2008, 01:45 PM
http://www.thehomegrown.com/gallery/3/marijuana.jpg

Aye, the next door neighbor smokes it, so I suppose wholesale Farmer's Market is an option. ;)

SoonerStormchaser
5/16/2008, 01:48 PM
Well, either that or coca leaves would be a good cash crop.

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 01:52 PM
Aye, the next door neighbor smokes it, so I suppose wholesale Farmer's Market is an option. ;)

No doubt. Fresh parsley can really spice up a meal. :D

badger
5/16/2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the tips. This is my first time, since childhood, growing crops, and it is SO FUN! I see what my grandpa's obsession with gardening was all about now.

UUUUUmmmm, I wouldn't consider aloe vera, ferns and geraniums CROPS, per se, but they still are fun to grow!

On a side note, I am watching OU-OSU badlem baseball right now and we are really baaaad. I wanted to attend this game, but we have friendly flying in from south texas :(

:( for missing baseball in Tulsa, :) for them visiting

Tailwind
5/16/2008, 10:56 PM
I have sugar snap peas, crookneck squash, jalepenos, bell peppers, catnip, chives tomatos and some flowers.
I can't put them outside yet because its too cold, and I don't have a southern facing window, so hey are under lights, Doing well so far.

olevetonahill
5/16/2008, 11:02 PM
Maters Nothing else But Maters
Ya can get anything else Ya want at the Farmers Market !

Mjcpr
5/16/2008, 11:03 PM
Maters Nothing else But Maters
Ya can get anything else Ya want at the Farmers Market !

Sensimilia?

royalfan5
5/16/2008, 11:07 PM
Is there a community garden program you can get involved with? I know in Lincoln there are some vacant lots that have been converted into gardens for apartment dwellers to use.

olevetonahill
5/16/2008, 11:17 PM
Sensimilia?

you can get anything that you want ! at Alices Resturant ! ceptin Alice

AlbqSooner
5/17/2008, 05:52 AM
Put a pot of Basil and maybe Thyme and oregano. Fresh herbs are muy better than the dried, packaged stuff. Just pick em, wash em and chop em into whatever you are cooking.

Okla-homey
5/17/2008, 06:20 AM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7429/alfbillpicks9.jpg

Alfalfa my boy! That is the four-season cash crop of the future. Yessirree. Alfalfa. Fine food for the beasts and it grows like hair on a dogs back here in the Sooner State. Absolutely. Al-fal-fa. That's the ticket!

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7747/alfalfasl1.jpg

r5TPsooner
5/17/2008, 08:22 AM
I have a spanish peanut growing experiment going this year. Starting to show some promise.

StoopTroup
5/17/2008, 08:25 AM
My Dandelions are gonna make for some great tea soon.

soonerboomer93
5/17/2008, 10:47 AM

if you want really relaxing

there's only 1 crop to grow :D

soonerboomer93
5/17/2008, 10:52 AM
you can get anything that you want ! at Alices Resturant ! ceptin Alice

Alice, who the **** is alice?

olevetonahill
5/17/2008, 02:24 PM
Alice, who the **** is alice?

Let Arlo tell Ya :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smuGx0RJbJU