PDA

View Full Version : The Gays can get married in California

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/15/2008, 05:02 PM
Someone fire up the Armageddon bunker....

:gary::gary::gary::gary::gary::gary::gary:

trey
5/15/2008, 05:35 PM
jesus is gonna be mad at us cali people. earthquake anyone?

5/15/2008, 05:43 PM
Only a matter of time and we scratch our heads (no pun) and wonder why we considered it such a big deal.

yermom
5/15/2008, 06:06 PM
there goes the value of all those straight marriages...

wait, huh?

Sooner_Havok
5/15/2008, 06:14 PM
It's only a matter of time till they let the races intermarry now:rolleyes:

Jerk
5/15/2008, 06:21 PM
Just like Rome.

StoopTroup
5/15/2008, 06:27 PM
It will be fun watching them all on Judge Joe Brown as he decides who gets to keep the feathered Boas?

Vaevictis
5/15/2008, 06:27 PM
Just like Rome.

Irony: It wasn't until after Christianity became the state religion of Rome that it fell.

Rome fell for a lot of reasons. Homosexuality wasn't one of them.

Sooner_Havok
5/15/2008, 06:29 PM
Just like Rome.

What? We have a corrupt leader, a weakened government due to ideological differences, angry people in occupied regions constantly attacking us, a republic once based on laws and rights that has shifted to a theocracy, and lead in our water!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

olevetonahill
5/15/2008, 06:52 PM
Do any of Us really give a **** ?

StoopTroup
5/15/2008, 06:59 PM

I don't.

I see lawyers flocking to California like somebody discovered gold in dem hills!

Jerk
5/15/2008, 07:00 PM
Irony: It wasn't until after Christianity became the state religion of Rome that it fell.

Yep, you're right. It just that it became prevalent at the time. At least that's what they told me in Middle School. I think we're also near our end as a great power. I can't give you a rational argument that links this to gays, but it's at the very least a repeating coincidence.

Sooner_Havok
5/15/2008, 07:10 PM
Yep, you're right. It just that it became prevalent at the time. At least that's what they told me in Middle School. I think we're also near our end as a great power. I can't give you a rational argument that links this to gays, but it's at the very least a repeating coincidence.

There is a coincidence here. Rome at the end was a country so divided by politics and religion that it had two capitols. It's forces were so weakened by continuing conflicts in the middle east that it could no longer defend itself.

The middle east is called the graveyard of empires for a reason. Greece tried to control the area, failed and fell. Rome tried, failed and fell. We are trying and failing...

I don't think this has anything to do with teh gays.

Okla-homey
5/15/2008, 07:11 PM

hellyeah! These marriages mean a whole new class of divorces, adoptions, will contests, insurance disputes, discrimination suits, tort claims, etc., etc. The new plaintiff possibilities are endles$. ;)

KC//CRIMSON
5/15/2008, 07:43 PM
hellyeah! These marriages mean a whole new class of divorces, adoptions, will contests, insurance disputes, discrimination suits, tort claims, etc., etc. The new plaintiff possibilities are endles$. ;)

Homo-Chaser!

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/15/2008, 07:49 PM
I think this will cut homosexuality in 1/2 in California because most of the gays out there just want to be counterculture, now that they can get married and become like us Straightos, they will find something else to protest over now ;)

SoonerBorn68
5/15/2008, 07:50 PM

The Romans themselves were a bunch of homos & pedephiles. What Jerk was saying is that the beginning of the end of the Roman Empire is when they let everyone they conquered have Roman citizenship--and in turn those citizens rotted the Roman culture from within.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/15/2008, 07:54 PM
Kind of like John McCain Messican deal? ;)

olevetonahill
5/15/2008, 07:55 PM
The Romans themselves were a bunch of homos & pedephiles. What Jerk was saying is that the beginning of the end of the Roman Empire is when they let everyone they conquered have Roman citizenship--and in turn those citizens rotted the Roman culture from within.

I thot the Romans Got all ****ed up from the Lead in their water ?

SoonerBorn68
5/15/2008, 07:56 PM
Kind of like John McCain Messican deal? ;)

Yes. :)

Sooner_Havok
5/15/2008, 07:56 PM
I thot the Romans Got all ****ed up from the Lead in their water ?

That was one of the reason my classics prof gave, but what would he know?

Thats right, I have a classical cultures degree, big whoop, wana fight about it?

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/15/2008, 07:59 PM
Not enough Lead in their pencils if you catch my drift

SoonerBorn68
5/15/2008, 07:59 PM

Thats right, I have a classical cultures degree, big whoop, wana fight about it?

:D

...I don't have a degree in classic cultures but I do watch a crapload of THC & Discovery.

Jerk
5/15/2008, 08:03 PM

I got you beat on that one. Liberal Arts. And the only way I know how to make a decent living is to drive a semi.

I might as well have gone for a degree in basket weaving.

olevetonahill
5/15/2008, 08:06 PM
I got you beat on that one. Liberal Arts. And the only way I know how to make a decent living is to drive a semi.

I might as well have gone for a degree in basket weaving.

At least then you would have something to do with your Hands while your Driving ;)

LosAngelesSooner
5/15/2008, 08:26 PM
Just like Rome.
Which, strangely, still exists.

No pillars of salt or nuthin'...:confused:

;)

olevetonahill
5/15/2008, 08:45 PM
Which, strangely, still exists.

No pillars of salt or nuthin'...:confused:

;)

So whens the Wedding ? You going to Post Pics ?

Soonerus
5/15/2008, 08:45 PM
Wait until they deal with property division, alimony, child custody and issues such as that, inheritance, etc...

olevetonahill
5/15/2008, 08:48 PM
Wait until they deal with property division, alimony, child custody and issues such as that, inheritance, etc...

Says the ruster . as hes Packin and Callin for Office space out there :D

Soonerus
5/15/2008, 08:49 PM
Says the ruster . as hes Packin and Callin for Office space out there :D

Heyyyy....

olevetonahill
5/15/2008, 08:59 PM
Heyyyy....

You gonna cash in on the Gay thing or the Money thing ? Or Both ?:D

Soonerus
5/15/2008, 09:00 PM
Plenty of gays in OK...

olevetonahill
5/15/2008, 09:04 PM
Plenty of gays in OK...

So Ya gonn atake your Sig nother, Out there and Get hitched ?

47straight
5/15/2008, 09:06 PM
Theocracy. Riiiight.

Soonerus
5/15/2008, 09:06 PM
So Ya gonn atake your Sig nother, Out there and Get hitched ?

My wife might have an issue with that...

olevetonahill
5/15/2008, 09:13 PM
My wife might have an issue with that...

She told Me she didnt Care !

SicEmBaylor
5/15/2008, 09:14 PM

Fighting is probably about one of the only things you can do with a classical culture degree. ;)

Soonerus
5/15/2008, 09:17 PM
She told Me she didnt Care !

My wife can't talk...thanks a lot...

olevetonahill
5/15/2008, 09:19 PM
My wife can't talk...thanks a lot...

Perfect woman ?

yermom
5/15/2008, 09:27 PM

i'm wondering how this would work in OK with marriages from other states

mdklatt
5/15/2008, 09:29 PM

One more reason to get the government out of the marriage business.

mdklatt
5/15/2008, 09:32 PM
there goes the value of all those straight marriages...

I bet there men defiling their marriage vows right this very second because of this.

GrapevineSooner
5/15/2008, 09:37 PM
My wife and I were already going to hell anyway.

I guess we'll have more company :D

Okla-homey
5/15/2008, 10:57 PM

there is a federal statute that says a state may choose to ignore gay marriages from other states. It's called the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). But you're right to think that way, normally states give deference to marriages performed elsewhere under the "full faith and credit" clause of the Constitution.

Bottomline is (no pun intended) Oklahoma does not have to recognize gay marriages from other states.

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2008, 10:58 PM
there is a federal statute that says a state may choose to ignore gay marriages from other states. It's called the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). But you're right to think that way, normally states give deference to marriages performed elsewhere under the "full faith and credit" clause of the Constitution.

Bottomline is (no pun intended) Oklahoma does not have to recognize gay marriages from other states.

At which point we're going to see exactly how strict-constructionist the Bush appointees to the Supreme Court really are.

SicEmBaylor
5/15/2008, 11:01 PM

There's also the "social policy exemption/public policy exception" to the full faith and credit clause which covers issues exactly like gay marriage.

SicEmBaylor
5/15/2008, 11:07 PM
I personally oppose gay marriage, but I'm not real passionate about the issue either. If they want the right they should do it the correct way and convince the public as a whole thereby influencing the legislature to give them such a right. The court system is not the correct venue for adding and subtracting rights and social privileges.

I also think the most vehement opponents of gay marriage need to chill the hell out. I think if they spent most of their focus and time trying to reduce the number of heterosexual divorces in this country then they'd be doing a greater justice to the institution of marriage then stopping two gay guys from legally exchanging very gay marriage vowels.

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2008, 11:09 PM
So rights derive from legislatures and courts? Or do legislatures and courts simply recognize rights that are inherent?

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2008, 11:10 PM
There's also the "social policy exemption/public policy exception" to the full faith and credit clause which covers issues exactly like gay marriage.

Strange. I just read the "Full Faith and Credit" clause and didn't see anything about a social/public policy exemption.

Okla-homey
5/15/2008, 11:13 PM
At which point we're going to see exactly how strict-constructionist the Bush appointees to the Supreme Court really are.

I should think strict-constructionists would be opposed to requiring a state to recognize an unnatural marriage fom elsewhere since the Framers didn't countenance the notion. Remember, sodomy was a crime in most states until not too very long ago. Thus, since strict constructionists don't subscribe to the view the Constitution is a "living document;" unless it is amended, states should remain free to ignore gay marriages from other states.

SicEmBaylor
5/15/2008, 11:13 PM
So rights derive from legislatures and courts? Or do legislatures and courts simply recognize rights that are inherent?

A governmental recognition of the right to marry is not inherent. Truth be told, government really shouldn't have anything to do with it one way or another thus saving us from this useless debate.

SicEmBaylor
5/15/2008, 11:15 PM
Strange. I just read the "Full Faith and Credit" clause and didn't see anything about a social/public policy exemption.

Well don't blame me for that. Blame the courts for creating it.

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2008, 11:19 PM
I should think strict-constructionists would be opposed to requiring a state to recognize an unnatural marriage fom elsewhere since the Framers didn't countenance the notion. Remember, sodomy was a crime in most states until not too very long ago. Thus, since strict constructionists don't subscribe to the view the Constitution is a "living document;" unless it is amended, states should remain free to ignore gay marriages from other states.

Funny. I should think that a strict constructionist would do exactly what the Constitution says.

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State.

I guess my version of the Constitution doesn't include the "Except when we think it'd be icky" clause.

psst-your argument for a strict constructionist Supreme Court upholding DOMA is in the next sentence right after "FF&C." The clause gives the Congress the specific power to interpret the effect of giving full faith and credit. Ergo, while other states have to recognize the marriage license granted to a gay couple, they do not have to extend the rights of a couple married under the laws of their state to the gay couple.

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2008, 11:20 PM
A governmental recognition of the right to marry is not inherent. Truth be told, government really shouldn't have anything to do with it one way or another thus saving us from this useless debate.

Then there is no right to marry, only a privilege.

SicEmBaylor
5/15/2008, 11:20 PM

I wasn't sure what court case established the exception, so I looked it up. I actually first heard about this from a guy with the Texas Public Policy Foundation and it had to do with medical marijuana.

http://supreme.justia.com/us/306/493/case.html

It's about 3/4 of the way down.

"It has often been recognized by this Court that there are some limitations upon the extent to which a state may be required by the full faith and credit clause to enforce even the judgment of another state in contravention of its own statutes or policy."

SicEmBaylor
5/15/2008, 11:22 PM
Then there is no right to marry, only a privilege.

Right.

I'd only argue with that to the degree that marriage could be considered a spiritual matter and, spiritually/religiously speaking, it's your right to marry whomever you want. I think that's a theological debate though and not a governmental one. In other words, churches not government should decide what constitutes a right to marriage.

SouthFortySooner
5/15/2008, 11:26 PM
I think the more important question is, when these dudes are munchin around on each other, is there one of them who gets all whiney if the other dude didn't shave close enough. ????? :confused:

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2008, 11:26 PM
I wasn't sure what court case established the exception, so I looked it up. I actually first heard about this from a guy with the Texas Public Policy Foundation and it had to do with medical marijuana.

http://supreme.justia.com/us/306/493/case.html

It's about 3/4 of the way down.

"It has often been recognized by this Court that there are some limitations upon the extent to which a state may be required by the full faith and credit clause to enforce even the judgment of another state in contravention of its own statutes or policy."

Doesn't seem to apply here, though, due to:

"5. This Court must determine for itself how far the full faith and credit clause compels the qualification or denial of rights asserted under the laws of one State -- that of the forum -- by the statute of another State."

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2008, 11:29 PM
Right.

I'd only argue with that to the degree that marriage could be considered a spiritual matter and, spiritually/religiously speaking, it's your right to marry whomever you want. I think that's a theological debate though and not a governmental one. In other words, churches not government should decide what constitutes a right to marriage.

With the caveat that screwing a minor is still a criminal offense, I'm probably OK with that. There has to be some government recognition of a marriage-type contract though, if for nothing more than disposal of the assets of those who die intestate.

tommieharris91
5/15/2008, 11:38 PM

I've had a professor tell me it was. It was because it got to the point where people were boinkin the same sex all the time, no one was havin kids. Because the people kinda stopped replacin themselves, Rome was unable to defend its borders and fell to barbarians and the Byzantines.

He claims Romans started getting hot over the same sex because the lead in their plumbing was messing with their pituitary gland in their brain.

Edit: So I'm still reading the thread. BTW, this was a nutrition professor that gave me this knowledge.

CORNholio
5/15/2008, 11:52 PM

Adoptions...that's where it crosses a line for me. If all of those rainbow warriors want to get married and club each other to death then let them I guess. But should they really be allowed to adopt? I fear for future generations if they are allowed to adopt.

tommieharris91
5/15/2008, 11:53 PM
I haven't seen this thought, so I think this is worth it, and it is much scarier than gay marriage.

When I first heard this story, I heard that the California Supreme Court overturned a law that was voted on by the people of the state. I dunno know about you, but isn't this a case where the judges on that state supreme court have more power than the people voting?

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2008, 11:54 PM
I haven't seen this thought, so I think this is worth it, and it is much scarier than gay marriage.

When I first heard this story, I heard that the California Supreme Court overturned a law that was voted on by the people of the state. I dunno know about you, but isn't this a case where the judges on that state supreme court have more power than the people voting?

Yes. This is called "checks and balances" and is one of the duties of the court system. The people of the state are welcome to amend the state constitution.

SicEmBaylor
5/16/2008, 12:04 AM
These sort of debates make me realize how politically reasonable a guy I am. ;)

tommieharris91
5/16/2008, 12:04 AM
Yes. This is called "checks and balances" and is one of the duties of the court system. The people of the state are welcome to amend the state constitution.

My point was that it seems people are starting to grow accustom to legislation created by the court system, and it seems to go unchecked.

Frozen Sooner
5/16/2008, 12:06 AM
The court system did the opposite of creating legislation. It struck down legislation which was in conflict with the state constitution.

tommieharris91
5/16/2008, 12:09 AM
Gahh I'm drunk. I know better.

olevetonahill
5/16/2008, 12:26 AM
Well, here's the girl I'm dating...

http://a996.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/4/l_15b5a2da22fe0bedc3a0ecbf7b2d927b.jpg

Oh...wait. You meant that I'm gay because I MUST be gay if gay people don't scare me and I think they have the right to be treated like any other U.S. Citizen.

Sorry. I forgot to be gay for you.

I'll try harder. Where are my chaps. :rolleyes:

:D

That chick Is Hawt . I didnt say that you was ghey I just Implied it for fun lol

Soonerus
5/16/2008, 12:28 AM
PLAY

yermom
5/16/2008, 12:29 AM
That chick Is Hawt . I didnt say that you was ghey I just Implied it for fun lol

well, you don't see the bottom half

she's Ron Jeremy below the waist

olevetonahill
5/16/2008, 12:36 AM

He can have it from the waste down , Ill hit it from the waist up :D

r5TPsooner
5/16/2008, 08:08 AM
Mmmn, fudge.

85Sooner
5/16/2008, 08:17 AM
Hello constitutional amendment in Cali.

Okla-homey
5/16/2008, 08:20 AM
skin's kinda blotchy. Arm hair waxed off for some bizarre reason. Porcelain teef.

who am I kiddin'. Like a cheeseburger after being released from five years in a messican prison.;)

TUSooner
5/16/2008, 08:26 AM
Dean and Howzit were last seen together heading west on I-40 in a yellow VW bug! :eek: :eek:

C&CDean
5/16/2008, 08:28 AM
Dean and Howzit were last seen together heading west on I-40 in a yellow VW bug! :eek: :eek:

It was a pink Miata.

TUSooner
5/16/2008, 08:30 AM
It was a pink Miata.

At least I didn't reveal that Howzit was driving.

ooop. :O

C&CDean
5/16/2008, 08:32 AM
At least I didn't reveal that Howzit was driving.

ooop. :O

Well sometimes the pitcher needs the catcher to relieve him...

sooner_born_1960
5/16/2008, 08:41 AM
Exactly.

Sooner_Havok
5/16/2008, 09:12 AM
I've had a professor tell me it was. It was because it got to the point where people were boinkin the same sex all the time, no one was havin kids. Because the people kinda stopped replacin themselves, Rome was unable to defend its borders and fell to barbarians and the Byzantines.

He claims Romans started getting hot over the same sex because the lead in their plumbing was messing with their pituitary gland in their brain.

Edit: So I'm still reading the thread. BTW, this was a nutrition professor that gave me this knowledge.

It has more to do with the fact that lead can cause sterility. Also figure onto that that babies conceived would have a higher number of birth defects and a greater number of still born births and you get a population that cannot sustain itself.

The Roman Empire is almost solely responsible for the proliferation of Christianity. It was founded as a theocracy, everyone had to be a member of the state religion. When Constantine changed the state religion to Christianity, everyone who was a citizen had to adopt the new religion, and anyone seeking citizenship had to profess their loyalties to the Christian God. I will give you that the first few generations may have only paid their new religion lip service, but it is hard to imagine that the population didn't fully embrace the religion simply based on the fact that the areas that Rome controlled is now Western Europe.

r5TPsooner
5/16/2008, 09:16 AM
I may get pasted for saying this and be totally alone on an island so to speak, but it's still hard for me to believe that homosexuality has become acceptable in this country. I say that for many reasons, not just political and religiously philosophical reasons either.

I guess I'm just too conservative and close mind about some issues I guess. While I would never harm a soul, that lifestyle is beyond my comprehension.

Sooner_Havok
5/16/2008, 09:22 AM
I may get pasted for saying this and be totally alone on an island so to speak, but it's still hard for me to believe that homosexuality has become acceptable in this country. I say that for many reasons, not just political and religiously philosophical reasons either.

I guess I'm just too conservative and close mind about some issues I guess. While I would never harm a soul, that lifestyle is beyond my comprehension.

What would you suggest we do? Beat the gay out of them? I don't approve of the lifestyle, but approval and acceptance are two separate things. I don't approve of the war in Iraq, but I accept that we are there and need to fix what we broke.

Animal Mother
5/16/2008, 10:39 AM
California is like a big bowl of Granola. What isn't nuts or flakes is fruit. What am I trying to say? WHO CARES!!!! Gays aren't going away because of ANY law. Also, as Kinky Freidman said, they should be allowed to get married so they have to suffer like the rest of us.

yermom
5/16/2008, 10:41 AM
that's my take :D

Sooner_Havok
5/16/2008, 10:55 AM
Won't it be nice to swing by the ocean after our annual Fiesta Bowl trek? Ah, the calm serenity that is Arizona bay:D

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 01:38 PM

No doubt OV.

Hell even if I was ghey...like LAS...I'd date her too. :D

JohnnyMack
5/16/2008, 01:55 PM

Why the Federal Govt. needs to be in involved in this is beyond me.

Score one for the religious right I suppose.

mdklatt
5/16/2008, 02:11 PM
Why the Federal Govt. needs to be in involved in this is beyond me.

Big Brother has to protect the value of all those heterosexual marriages. It's just not right to invest all that money and effort in your marriage to have it suddenly rendered worthless overnight. Look at DOMA like a mortgage bailout.

OklahomaRed
5/16/2008, 02:12 PM
I've not read the entire 5 pages, so I might be rehashing discussions that have already happened. My question, why does the gay community get hung up on the word "marriage"? I understand why the religious community get's hung up on the word "marriage". Why can't they just call it a "civil union" and give them the same rights, protection, etc. without asking the government to assume the roll of the Church in blessing a marriage? I guess if the "Unversalist Church of the gay ocean going seafarers" want to bless the union as a "marriage" then fine, but the government should stick to making sure peoples' rights are not violated. Call it a Civil Union and quit trying to rub the Church's nose in it and force them to "accept" their practice through a mandated law that they disagree with? :confused:

mdklatt
5/16/2008, 02:14 PM
Call it a Civil Union and quit trying to rub the Church's nose in it and force them to "accept" their practice through a mandated law that they disagree with? :confused:

How about the government stops sanctioning "marriages" of any kind and simply recognizes civil unions?

C&CDean
5/16/2008, 02:15 PM
How about the government stops sanctioning "marriages" of any kind and simply recognizes civil unions?

Cause The Bible came first.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/16/2008, 02:16 PM
Good luck to em...hope they are better at it than the heteros

mdklatt
5/16/2008, 02:18 PM
Cause The Bible came first.

Where in the Bible does it say that marriage is only valid if it's recognized by the government?

C&CDean
5/16/2008, 02:18 PM

They'll have the same pitfalls as hetero couples do. Except that their houses will be exquisitely decorated, and you'll never see a couple dead animals hanging on the wall like you do in mine.

C&CDean
5/16/2008, 02:19 PM
Where in the Bible does it say that marriage is only valid if it's recognized by the government?

It says marriage is between a man and a woman. Don't act dumb.

mdklatt
5/16/2008, 02:20 PM

Can't be any worse; we're already at the level of a coin flip in terms of success.

OklahomaRed
5/16/2008, 02:21 PM

I'm okay with that. Seriously, I don't need the government to tell me what right or wrong is. That's where we have some serious issues from the left. They want the government to legislate what is right or wrong. Abortion? Gay marriage? How about pedophilia? How about marrying your sister? How about 5 or 6 wives? Not that I would wish that on anybody? :D Who do we give the responsibility to for right versus wrong?

With that asked? What percent of the voting public disagrees with the State of California legalizing gay marriage through an activist judge? To Mike Rich's point? What was the constitutional grounds the judge used to strike down the law that was voted on by the people? Judges are not to make laws, they are to enforce the laws as voted on by the people.

Vaevictis
5/16/2008, 02:27 PM
Judges are not to make laws, they are to enforce the laws as voted on by the people.

Ah, but in the judge's opinion, they are enforcing the laws as voted on by the people.

It's just that the law banning gay marriage is subordinate to other laws, namely those in the California Constitution.

As far as what the grounds were, they were found to be in violation of the California equal protection clause.

mdklatt
5/16/2008, 02:28 PM

In all due respect, you're the one acting dumb now. Why do you need a piece of paper from the government telling you that your marriage is valid? If the Bible came first, isn't that all the authority you need? What do you want the government interfering with religion? Because if you do, this is exactly what's going happen. Either everybody can get "married" according to the government or nobody can.

OklahomaRed
5/16/2008, 02:29 PM
Activist judges from both sides of the aisle are scary. When one person can change the will of the entire voting state it makes me nervous. :eek:

mdklatt
That's where we have some serious issues from the left. They want the government to legislate what is right or wrong.

What are you smoking?

Scott D
some of you are just too obsessed with gay people.

Vaevictis
5/16/2008, 02:30 PM

It also says don't eat pork, but I bet you chow down on ribs without a second thought.

Vaevictis
5/16/2008, 02:30 PM
Activist judges from both sides of the aisle are scary. When one person can change the will of the entire voting state it makes me nervous. :eek:

Impeach or amend. Problem solved.

mdklatt
5/16/2008, 02:32 PM
When one person can change the will of the entire voting state it makes me nervous. :eek:

Um yeah, that's kind of the point of the judical branch or else we'd have nothing but mob rule.

OklahomaRed
5/16/2008, 02:32 PM
In all due respect, you're the one acting dumb now. Why do you need a piece of paper from the government telling you that your marriage is valid? If the Bible came first, isn't that all the authority you need? What do you want the government interfering with religion? Because if you do, this is exactly what's going happen. Either everybody can get "married" according to the government or nobody can.

To my point above? Why do we need a law that says I can't marry my cousin? Why do we need a law that says I can't have 5 wives? Why do we need a law that says I can't date a 16 year old?

Cause it's wrong. Where does that sense of right and wrong come from? It has to be some absolute truth. Not the whim of the people, or what is vogue today, or what is considered the will of the people. There has to be some abosolute truth that does not change from century to century. My center comes from Biblical truth. The Bible says marriage is between a man and a woman. That's me. You believe whatever you want. :P

OklahomaRed
5/16/2008, 02:35 PM
It also says don't eat pork, but I bet you chow down on ribs without a second thought.

Old testament. It also says in the old testament that women on their cycle should go hang out somewhere else and chill for a week. Probably not a bad idea? :D Old Testament men had several wives as well. Does that make it acceptable in today's world?

mdklatt
5/16/2008, 02:37 PM
Why do we need a law that says I can't marry my cousin? Why do we need a law that says I can't have 5 wives?

I don't know, why do we need those laws? Why is it the state's business if you marry your cousin? In fact it's not, because that's not illegal. Ask Rudy Giuliani.

There has to be some abosolute truth that does not change from century to century. My center comes from Biblical truth.

Weren't there slaves in the Bible?

OklahomaRed
5/16/2008, 02:40 PM
Hey, there are slaves today. It's just called taxation & debt. You are a slave to the system. :D

Sooner_Havok
5/16/2008, 02:44 PM
I don't know, why do we need those laws? Why is it the state's business if you marry your cousin? In fact it's not, because that's not illegal. Ask Rudy Giuliani.

Weren't there slaves in the Bible?

It ain't about morality folks. Laws (at least those of men) are not supposed to govern morality.

Why can't you **** yer sister? Cause you would produce creepy little kids more apt to be all diseasey and weak. This is bad fer society cause we gots to take care of the little inbred ****s then. This ain't Sparta, we can't trow the broken ones back no matter what.

Why can't you have multiple wives? Cause then you would have to support them. The average guy in the US couldn't support 5 wives and 50 kids. To keep that many people from coming up on the government's rolls, we say "One wife please"

Well what about Bill Gates Havok, he could afford it?

Are you Bill Gates? Anywhere close to Bill Gates? Then STFU! We can't say all people worth more than X can have more than one wife, it is all or none.

Vaevictis
5/16/2008, 02:46 PM
Old testament. It also says in the old testament that women on their cycle should go hang out somewhere else and chill for a week. Probably not a bad idea? :D Old Testament men had several wives as well. Does that make it acceptable in today's world?

Buffet Christianity is awesome, ain't it?

Here's the deal:

1. If the Old Testament is in force, then you can't eat pork.
2. If the Old Testament is not in force, then why cite it to damn homosexuality?

You've got two choices: If Jesus fullfilled the law and hence superceded the Old Testament, then NONE of the Old Testament law applies. If he didn't supercede the Old Testament, ALL of it applies.

Pick one or the other. But you can't have some of this, some of that, and I'll leave that behind.

EDIT: Well, I guess you can, but I'm pretty sure Jesus had something to say about hypocrites.

Sooner_Havok
5/16/2008, 02:52 PM
Well, I guess you can, but I'm pretty sure Jesus had something to say about hypocrites.

http://www.malaspina.com/jpg/hippocrates.jpg

That guy?:D

Scott D
5/16/2008, 02:54 PM
Jesus, the guy who came to Brooklyn from Guadalupe, Mexico said that hypocrites are found in places of worship every Sunday morning. :D

badger
5/16/2008, 03:16 PM
I don't think "the gays can get married in California" yet. I think it is going to be put up for a statewide vote where once again, a majority of Californians will vote it down. It went up for a vote already and was voted down by 61 percent. I shouldn't need to note that 60 percent is considered a landslide in an election and should be especially considered a landslide in a huge state like Cal.

However, Cal does have legal civil unions. It's just a matter of calling it "marriage" now and I don't think it becomes law without a public vote.

C&CDean
5/16/2008, 03:19 PM
All legalities aside, who else gets the willies when they think of two dudes with 5 o'clock shadows, back hair, beer guts, and garlic breath swapping spit?

badger
5/16/2008, 03:24 PM
All legalities aside, who else gets the willies when they think of two dudes with 5 o'clock shadows, back hair, beer guts, and garlic breath swapping spit?

Like this?
http://ap.google.com/media/ALeqM5iQkKo-1_75zUnv7KaaqYRO6OZnXQ?size=s
These images are all over the AP wire right now.

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 03:33 PM

You had me at back hair....

http://www.beautyanalysis.com/images/pg42RF---Tom-Cruise-%5BB%5D-.jpg

OklahomaRed
5/16/2008, 03:40 PM
Buffet Christianity is awesome, ain't it?

Here's the deal:

1. If the Old Testament is in force, then you can't eat pork.
2. If the Old Testament is not in force, then why cite it to damn homosexuality?

You've got two choices: If Jesus fullfilled the law and hence superceded the Old Testament, then NONE of the Old Testament law applies. If he didn't supercede the Old Testament, ALL of it applies.

Pick one or the other. But you can't have some of this, some of that, and I'll leave that behind.

EDIT: Well, I guess you can, but I'm pretty sure Jesus had something to say about hypocrites.

There you go quoting the Bible and trying to differentiate between old and new testament. The new testament actually says something about homosexuality. Look it up. Doesn't say anything about the government sanctioning marriage (back to point), thus I don't think the Bible says it's okay for two dudes to get married and rub whiskers. :eek:

Scott D
5/16/2008, 03:41 PM
and technically 'the gays' can get married anywhere, just not to each other...and wait to have their midlife crisis in their late 40s :)

MR2-Sooner86
5/16/2008, 03:41 PM
I just want to say that I fully support gay marriage...

as long as both chicks are insanely hot.

LosAngelesSooner
5/16/2008, 03:47 PM

Damnit! You're ONTO ME!!!!!

;)

skin's kinda blotchy. Arm hair waxed off for some bizarre reason. Porcelain teef.
For the record...she's half-asian, so there's naturally no hair on her arms (they aren't waxed), her teeth are real (no porcelain veneers there) and the "blotchiness" is called freckles. ;)

What can I say? I'm in love. Gotta defend my girl.
:)

LosAngelesSooner
5/16/2008, 04:13 PM
The new testament actually says something about homosexuality. Look it up. Please show me where Jesus ever said anything about homosexuality.

Please.

LosAngelesSooner
5/16/2008, 04:15 PM
All legalities aside, who else gets the willies when they think of two dudes with 5 o'clock shadows, back hair, beer guts, and garlic breath swapping spit?Dude...no offense, but the thought of the hottest girl on the PLANET, naked, covered in baby oil...swapping spit with YOU gives me the willies. Doesn't mean it's immoral. Well, then again, maybe there should be a law against that... ;)

C&CDean
5/16/2008, 04:29 PM
Dude...no offense, but the thought of the hottest girl on the PLANET, naked, covered in baby oil...swapping spit with YOU gives me the willies. Doesn't mean it's immoral. Well, then again, maybe there should be a law against that... ;)

I may not be as pretty as you, but I got that animal magnetism baby....

LosAngelesSooner
5/16/2008, 04:37 PM
I may not be as pretty as you, but I got that animal magnetism baby....
***I've got da Jibblies!***

olevetonahill
5/16/2008, 04:41 PM
Im all for Gheys getting hitched, Kissin in Public Etc.
AS Long as we Get an Open season on em .:D :rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/16/2008, 05:04 PM
Well if she is part Asian, you better keep that part away from GHP

85Sooner
5/16/2008, 05:37 PM
One more reason to get the government out of the marriage business.

ding ding ding. we have a WINNER!

tommieharris91
5/16/2008, 05:40 PM
Im all for Gheys getting hitched, Kissin in Public Etc.
AS Long as we Get an Open season on em .:D :rolleyes:

Why do we need open season on 'em? I failed secks ed, so I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they can't reproduce on their own because they don't have the compatible parts...

stoops the eternal pimp
5/16/2008, 05:41 PM
Well if she is part Asian, you better keep that part away from GHP

She s in one of his other categories also..she lives hundreds of miles away

olevetonahill
5/16/2008, 05:45 PM
Why do we need open season on 'em? I failed secks ed, so I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they can't reproduce on their own because they don't have the compatible parts...

A joke , a Joke . Pay tention lol
Did you Not see the Smilies ?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/16/2008, 06:02 PM
Here s the girl I m dating

http://www.wikihow.com/images/thumb/2/24/Megan_fox_255.jpg/250px-Megan_fox_255.jpg

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/16/2008, 06:18 PM
Tell your g'f that she was fabulous in Transformers!

stoops the eternal pimp
5/16/2008, 06:32 PM
I told her she was ok in it....I ll tell her when she comes over tonight for salsbury steak and biscuits

LosAngelesSooner
5/16/2008, 06:40 PM
Awww...a doubter. How cute.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/16/2008, 06:41 PM
Me?..her?...I could post a pic of myself if you want

StoopTroup
5/16/2008, 07:04 PM
Awww...a doubter. How cute.

Didn't you tell me one time that that girl was dumb as a rock?

I think I said I was gonna leave my Wife and go on a cross-country stalkfest. :D

LosAngelesSooner
5/16/2008, 09:04 PM
Didn't you tell me one time that that girl was dumb as a rock?

I think I said I was gonna leave my Wife and go on a cross-country stalkfest. :DThe girl you're talking about, Megan Fox, IS dumb as a rock.

The girl I am dating, the one in the photo (and the one Stoops the Eternal Pimp is teasing me about), is not Megan Fox and is sharp as a whip.

(a little TOO smart, if you ask me!) ;)

LosAngelesSooner
5/16/2008, 09:05 PM
Well if she is part Asian, you better keep that part away from GHPShe's half Taiwanese, a quarter Italian and a quarter German. :)

She's the one who bought me a trip/tickets/hotel/etc to the OU/Texas game last year.

Her ONLY drawback is that she's a Philly Eagle fan... :(

LosAngelesSooner
5/16/2008, 09:12 PM
ding ding ding. we have a WEINER!
Fixed.

;)

(felt appropriate for the thread)

r5TPsooner
5/16/2008, 09:13 PM
The song "cherish" comes to mind.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/16/2008, 09:20 PM
The girl you're talking about, Megan Fox, IS dumb as a rock.

The girl I am dating, the one in the photo (and the one Stoops the Eternal Pimp is teasing me about), is not Megan Fox and is sharp as a whip.

(a little TOO smart, if you ask me!) ;)

sorry if i offended man..pm sent

LosAngelesSooner
5/16/2008, 10:40 PM
sorry if i offended man..pm sentDude. You didn't offend me at all! :)