PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bradford

JLEW1818
5/15/2008, 02:51 AM
Okay it’s obvious yes Sammy needs the same numbers as he did last year or better......? But wait, we did not get to the national title game last year. Don't get me wrong the season does not depend on the shoulders of Sam Bradford! However, can you guys tell me what needs to happen to get to the national title game this year? Besides winning every game, playing good on the road, and if a star goes down, somebody needs to step up. If somebody can give me another answer please tell me. I'm doing a research assignment on Oklahoma football for school, and I would love to know from you guys what exactly we need this year TO SEPERAT OURSELVES FROM THE REST!

THANKS, AND GOD BLESS

JLEW

David Earl
5/15/2008, 06:02 AM
Defense.

AlbqSooner
5/15/2008, 06:20 AM
Consistent effort at the highest level. IMHO, we have not lacked for talent. Rather, we have lacked 100% effort on every play in every game from every player.

Youngsooner
5/15/2008, 07:37 AM
Sam Bradford is the man... that is all
He could move a mountain if he felt like it

soonernation
5/15/2008, 07:38 AM
Defense.

WINNER

pweitkem
5/15/2008, 07:46 AM
It's a non-Turing question. Alan Turing, the guy that broke the German's code that turned the tide of WWII and created the 'if this then that' linear thought progression that is the foundation for all information technology. Turing's theories are great for linear, logical questions, but not for questions that require a leaps of faith.

Tell your teacher that noone can answer the question you're asking because winning the national championship requires luck, the team being ready to play every game, no injuries to impact players, being able to win a game on the friggin' road, catching kickoffs, tackling fullbacks that are running wild through your defensive secondary, having your weakside defensive backs stay home just in case the team you are playing runs the statue of liberty, etc.

That ought to get you at least a B... sprinkle some more BS on top of it all and it could be an A.

soonerhubs
5/15/2008, 07:51 AM
Doesn't someone around this time usually suggest that the team should start a Weight Lifting Regimen?

swardboy
5/15/2008, 08:01 AM
My one suggestion: Don't field punts inside the 5 yard line....heck, inside the 10 yard line (re: Colorado 2007 and "The Game of Which We Do Not Speak).

RedstickSooner
5/15/2008, 08:08 AM
and I would love to know from you guys what exactly we need this year TO SEPERAT OURSELVES FROM THE REST!

THANKS, AND GOD BLESS

JLEW

A separatory funnel? A few good organic solvents? Maybe a CDC handbook of chemistry & physics for solubility info?

OUTrumpet
5/15/2008, 08:10 AM
Doesn't someone around this time usually suggest that the team should start a Weight Lifting Regimen?

Didn't TFRW say they started lifting weights one off-season after they were tired of losing to us for a few years in a row?

MojoRisen
5/15/2008, 08:33 AM
Moxy

stoops the eternal pimp
5/15/2008, 08:34 AM
I don't think he needs the same numbers as last year...consistent running game and D are the key...Heupel's number decreased significantly from year 1 to year 2 but some of that had to do with a more consistent running attack and better D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/15/2008, 08:35 AM
Moxy

and Swagger

birddog
5/15/2008, 08:37 AM
Moxy

that is a deadly combination when you throw in swagger and FINISH!

Breadburner
5/15/2008, 08:57 AM
Some Sooner Magic....

starrca23
5/15/2008, 09:13 AM
Just get a centerfuge, the spinning causes the heavier particles to be seperated from the ones that weigh less.

bstuff1979
5/15/2008, 09:14 AM
1. Not giving up the big play on D (aka, getting some pressure to the qb). That had a tendency to happen via the one major flaw in the cover 2 d. If there isn't sufficient pressure, there WILL be a man open 10+ yards over the middle (unless, of course, you have a circa '01 TRRW at SS). Look to the saxeT game last year for that. Of course, big plays are given up in other ways as well (west freaking virginia).

2. Pocket protection. That, in a nutshell (but no the only reason), is why the O looked like dirt squirrels in the most recent Arizona incident. If your tackles can't pick up the outside blitz, you can't do much of anything beyond a 2-3 step drop. Takes away much of the passing plays that go beyond 10yd routes. The lack of speed (within the context of what is expected of a line this highly touted) on the o-line also makes it difficult to run counters, zone blocking, and the like. So, your offense is slightly one dimensional with a mix of slant routes, screens, and running the ball between the tackles. The line played well much of last year, but when put up against the 30-stack it looked terrible. OU doesn't play WV next year, but the texas D will be blitzing much more than in past seasons (maybe not out of a 335, but blitzing with the same frequency none the less). If Loadholt can work on reaction time/quickness, it should clear this issue up.
3. Runningback. It seems most years, the one area of major concern turns out just fine while something totally unexpected is anything but fine. This year, I'll a little iffy on RB. Murray is phenomenal, but did have an injury. The line is built for NFL pass protection given its size and did have some hickups in run blocking in '07. Murray needs to stay healthy and a consistent 3rd down back needs to surface with, I'm guessing, Chris Brown. Rather than just a rotating backfield from week to week, I'd prefer situational backs. It could be the case that this is already what they're doing (since I don't coach at OU, I have no clue as to what exactly was the case last year), but specific roles would be preferable to just subbing in and out.

MojoRisen
5/15/2008, 09:19 AM
Float like a butterfly sting like a bee

Sonner magic923
5/15/2008, 09:57 AM
ya its said allot but true Defense wins championships. The offense is talented enouph that it should take care of its self so if the D can hold teams under 21 we should be atleast be in a position to win every game

BermudaSooner
5/15/2008, 01:12 PM
Okay it’s obvious yes Sammy needs the same number as he did last year or better......?

I'm pretty sure they will let Sam wear #14 again.

OUmillenium
5/15/2008, 01:17 PM
We need to be less fast and more "sudden".

JLEW1818
5/15/2008, 01:49 PM
I think we make the bcs games bigger then what they are. Don't get me wrong a bcs game is a huge game. Although, in the end it’s just another football game, you can either win or lose. Each game has 15 minute quarters, 10 yards for a 1st down, a referee... the only thing I can see being longer is the halftime show?? I just think when that time comes we just need to treat it like another game. Don't make the event bigger than what it is. It’s just a football game, not a earthquake. This may seem like a common sense type statement but it’s just what I think. Usc vs Oklahoma back in 03-04, I remember Corso saying that we came off the bus all focused and are practice nobody talked at all..... Just being a real tense team. As for Usc they come of the bus laughing and joking around, and during practice Pete Carroll was throwing 50yard td bombs to his receivers. I just think this year’s motto should be, relax and go play football, the game you love.
I just think we need to treat every game like any other game. We might already do that, what do I know?

cjames317
5/15/2008, 01:55 PM
No more team trips to Burlington Coat Factory

RedstickSooner
5/15/2008, 03:23 PM
I just think this year’s motto should be, relax and go play football, the game you love.
I just think we need to treat every game like any other game. We might already do that, what do I know?

Maybe our motto should be, "Relax, Coach, or your head is liable to explode. Like that dude in Scanners."

JLEW1818
5/15/2008, 03:40 PM
lol thats funny

stoopified
5/15/2008, 06:11 PM
I'm pretty sure they will let Sam wear #14 again.:)

VA Sooner
5/15/2008, 10:45 PM
Agree with a lot of the posts already... in summary...

1. Impact players not getting hurt during the course of a season and playing hard and subsequently getting hurt. Depth is one thing but keeping the starters fresh and healthy is a whole different ballgame. Look at what happened to Oregon and losing their impact player, Dennis Dixon. West Virginia had a chance at the national title but their impact player, Pat White, hurt his thumb and lost to Pitt in the last regular season game.

2. Good coaching. Somehow, LSU still made it to the National Championship in spite of Les Miles coaching. Riverboat gambler? I think not... dumb luck and more importantly, had very talented players covering his butt. Lose your cool during a nail-biter of a game and you start making some stupid decisions... Jim Tresell in the National Title Game 2008 and even Big Game Bob with the fourth down conversion on our own 29 yard-line. Happens to all... young coaches need a little time to get hardened nerves.

3. Luck in the schedule... easy schedule is not as heavily taxed as losing a game during your 12-13 game run. Perfect record in a Division 1 schedule in a good conference leads to high BCS points. This year looks pretty good. We'll play Missouri in the Big 12 championship again as long as we don't look ahead.

4. Play each game with intensity... even the so-called "gimmees". Focus that intensity and you can beat the number one team in the land (Big 12 Championship Game 2007... best game of the season... everyone played with a chip on their shoulder.) Take things lightly, like Boise State and WVU in subsequent Fiesta Bowls and you lose focus, lose your cool, lose the game.

We've got the players. Offensive and defensive lines are the best in the country. We have 2-3 very good defensive ends which is what we need to keep young quarterbacks flustered (look at Chase Daniels when he's under pressure... very good QB but loses his cool, loses the game).

The weaknesses:

1. Sam Bradford is a very, very good quarterback. What would make him great and move to the next level is learning how to look left, right, left or vice versa and throw in a few pump fakes. Freezes the safeties and if you have a very balanced team (great receivers and running backs for the last few years) you have a very balanced attack. Unstoppable offense.

2. Linebackers... biggest question right now for OU coming into the fall. Moving Keenan Clayton there was brilliant. Short fuse, hard-hitter... not good at safety or cornerback with limited contact with your receiver but put him in the middle-linebacker position perhaps (sorry Ryan) and he can use that fury to take down running backs, tailbacks, tight ends, etc.

3. Kicker... was very nervous at the Spring Game (anyone catch the first 3 possessions?) until Jimmy Stevens started kicking. Remind me not to take having Garrett Hartley lightly again. (and if only his kick against Oregon 2006 would not have been blocked... it would have been one of the greatest Sooner games ever and redemption for some sorry officiating).

This year looks very promising. The only other team that looks scary good is Georgia. Young team pounded a very good Hawaii team. They played with an intensity in that bowl game so that a "Cinderella team" would not have embarrassed them.

Thanks for the time and space... wife is out of town for a week and I've been taking care of two babies and missed human contact at night.

goingoneight
5/15/2008, 10:47 PM
I'm pretty sure they will let Sam wear #14 again.

I say we experiment without numbers. I mean, we made it alright without nameplates. ;)

AzianSooner
5/15/2008, 10:49 PM
The first and formost thing that Sam needs to do for OU to win NC is that HE NEEDS TO ADVOID CONTACT WITH ANY OF OPPONENT DEFENSIVE PLAYER.

In other words, he needs to play like a sissy.

JLEW1818
5/16/2008, 02:26 AM
AZIANSOONER!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I love when a Oklahoma QB is a sissy. Don't get me wrong I HATE WHEN WE PLAY A TEAM AND A QB RUNS IT AND SLIDES. However, that is exactly what Sammy needs to do this year, treat his body like it is the most important thing in the world, because in my opinion ... his body is the most important thing, to me.

AzianSooner
5/16/2008, 09:39 AM
However, that is exactly what Sammy needs to do this year, treat his body like it is the most important thing in the world, because in my opinion ... his body is the most important thing, to me.

you finally lost it my fence.

Blitzkrieg
5/16/2008, 10:01 AM
I'd tell Sam

"Be not concerned at want of place; be concerned that thou stand thyself. Sorrow not at being unknown, but seek to be worthy of note."

JLEW1818
5/16/2008, 12:27 PM
That big offensive line will protect, we should be top 3 in least sacks.

Pieces Hit
5/16/2008, 03:07 PM
* dumb guy chiming in here *

If we stop running the primary "up the middle - up the middle - up the middle - punt" offense: we're golden.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/18/2008, 01:03 AM
jlew...

Shoot, fella.... I thought posting drunk had been outlawed on these here boards. (Apparently not..... I'm still here... :D )

We need defensive line dominance. We need offensive line dominance. Those two units have to toughen up and take over the game on the road.

That is all.

JLEW1818
5/18/2008, 01:26 AM
haha thanks man. Lets just ummm not lose ... haha. duh.

OU_Sooners75
5/18/2008, 05:38 AM
Okay it’s obvious yes Sammy needs the same numbers as he did last year or better......? But wait, we did not get to the national title game last year. Don't get me wrong the season does not depend on the shoulders of Sam Bradford! However, can you guys tell me what needs to happen to get to the national title game this year? Besides winning every game, playing good on the road, and if a star goes down, somebody needs to step up. If somebody can give me another answer please tell me. I'm doing a research assignment on Oklahoma football for school, and I would love to know from you guys what exactly we need this year TO SEPERAT OURSELVES FROM THE REST!

THANKS, AND GOD BLESS

JLEW

How did we win it in 2000?

We played great Defense and Solid offense and superb special teams. It seems like we have been taking plays and games off. No reason Colorado should have beaten us. Why was Iowa State so good against us last year?
Missed the injury bug. We had no real big season ending injuries. Unlike the last couple of seasons.
Athletes playing at a position that is natural to them, not where they were recruited. Bob Stoops came in and overhauled our depth chart to fit their talent and ahtletism.
Players that actually care to be a Sooner. Seems to me, we are having an influx of undergrads leaving early for the NFL. 2000 was won by senior leadership.

OU_Sooners75
5/18/2008, 06:04 AM
* dumb guy chiming in here *

If we stop running the primary "up the middle - up the middle - up the middle - punt" offense: we're golden.

At least you got the "dumb guy" part correct.

FYI. OU in 2007 averaged 448.93 yards per game. This was good for 16th in the nation. We also averaged 258.22 yards a game passing (#36). That leaves an average of 190.71 yard/game rushing, which was #30 in the nation. Now throw in the fact that we averaged a pathetic 42.29 points per game. Yeah, our offense seems to be the problem. Apparently they canot move the ball or score enough freaking points.

Also "dumb guy," you are aware of the fact that our scoring defense in 2007 was the worst it has been since 2005 and the second worst scoring defense since the arrival of Bob Stoops, right? We allowed an average of 20.3 points per game last year. 2005 was the worst under Stoops which allowed 23.1 points per game.

Dont believe me? Check it out yourself.
Archived NCAA Stats 1999-2006 (http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings?doWhat=archive&sportCode=MFB)

2007 NCAA D1 Stats (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&site=org)

So don't blame our offense. Yes sometimes it sputtered, but the facts show it was nto their fault.

Side note: If anyone wants to take a look at all the defensive stats from the links I posted. You would quickly figure out why I am hard on Brent Venerables. Though I do think he is one of the best at his position in the nation.

Jewstin
5/18/2008, 01:24 PM
Reminds me of the Rare Earth Hypothesis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis ) ... possible, but there's so many friggin' variables to consider, none of which can be measured only "reasonably" estimated, that the result is pretty much up in the air.

:\ So, you can write that ... or you could just write "FIRE BRENT VENABLES NOW" or "RETURN TO THE WISHBONE" over and over and over ... possibly alternating them.

:D

OU_Sooners75
5/18/2008, 03:18 PM
Reminds me of the Rare Earth Hypothesis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis ) ... possible, but there's so many friggin' variables to consider, none of which can be measured only "reasonably" estimated, that the result is pretty much up in the air.

:\ So, you can write that ... or you could just write "FIRE BRENT VENABLES NOW" or "RETURN TO THE WISHBONE" over and over and over ... possibly alternating them.

:D

True, but when it comes down to variables, there is usually a common denominator, isn't there?

Fact is, BV's defenses, though pretty solid generally, have been weaker than Mike Stoops. I am not saying BV is a bad coach. But the guy's scheme is allowing more points scored against OU than in 1999 for crying outloud.

JLEW1818
5/18/2008, 03:22 PM
So if BV got fired somehow someway, just out of curiosity would it be by the athletic director or bob stoops? The way I look at it, Stoops is above the athletic director? lol , just wondering. I know stoops and bv have been together for a while, which is surprising that he has not left for a head coaching job. Does anybody know if he has had any offers? I'm just wondering?

OU_Sooners75
5/18/2008, 03:35 PM
So if BV got fired somehow someway, just out of curiosity would it be by the athletic director or bob stoops? The way I look at it, Stoops is above the athletic director? lol , just wondering. I know stoops and bv have been together for a while, which is surprising that he has not left for a head coaching job. Does anybody know if he has had any offers? I'm just wondering?

BV has had plenty of opportunity to leave.

However, if he gets fired that decision is made solely by Bob Stoops. BV does not need to be fired, but a little change (for the better) in his style would be nice.

JLEW1818
5/18/2008, 03:52 PM
Okay thanks I was just wondering how it all worked.

tulsaoilerfan
5/18/2008, 06:24 PM
Consistent effort at the highest level. IMHO, we have not lacked for talent. Rather, we have lacked 100% effort on every play in every game from every player.

I totally agree; there are 2-3 games every season that they just seem to be going thru the motions, especially on defense

goingoneight
5/18/2008, 07:16 PM
I totally agree; there are 2-3 games every season that they just seem to be going thru the motions, especially on defense

Offense succ'd in the Colorado game and the ISU game last year, turned it over five times a piece against Baylor and Texas the year before as well as a shoddy season opener and a measley 17 points at Collie Station, I could go on. It's effort IMHO. Sometimes it just happens. Believe me, no one gets irritated more than the coaching staff to see a bunch of bad attitudes, penalties and sleep-walkers take the field. A true National Champion can win it all with what we have, they just have to take every living second of every game seriously. I did not see that at all from a bunch of frowning and moaping players on the Sooner sideline against USC, BSU and WVU. They literally have to want it with everything they are, which is a chemistry thing. Let me ask you, Sooner player... do you really (and I mean really) want a participation trophy in January 2009? After you take your conference, the National Championship is out of reach unless you're in the big game, and we're not... we're playing Cinderella Tech in the Desert Bowl without six of our starters... but it's all good... it's not like this team is any good, they only won their conference, too. 11-2 or 13-0 is no different than, say... 6-6 OSU, right?

So you're coach... you're trying to find the words to motivate your injury and turnover depleted team out of a 18-point deficit. You may get their attention, but are you going to get their effort when they know they can just muff the rest of the bowl and declare early for the NFL or hang their hat on another nice 11-win season? I really think some of the people who feel OUr coaching staff is failing have never spent any time dealing with 18-24-year old guys and their bad attitudes on a bad day.

However, catch all these talented guys on a night where they're fired up, when they're ready to go, when the game and season is on the line, you may want revenge against this team that you hold something against, when everybody's healthy, you win the turnover war, you make all the right calls, you execute well, guys play like a band of brothers... you look pretty damn dominant. See Florida State 2001, Texas A&M 2003, OSewe 2003, Texass 2001, etc. I heard just recently that not only were we short-handed in the WVU game, that Stoops benched a bunch of guys for mouthing off, hence the Gresham on the bench, Gutierrez and Madu getting carries. If that's the case, we probably deserved an even more embarassing fate than 48-28. I don't think the Pate White quote in the locker room is just a coincidence.

sooneron
5/18/2008, 08:58 PM
Has anyone mentioned "sticktoitiveness"?

sooneron
5/18/2008, 09:02 PM
Fact is, BV's defenses, though pretty solid generally, have been weaker than Mike Stoops. I am not saying BV is a bad coach. But the guy's scheme is allowing more points scored against OU than in 1999 for crying outloud.

That might be true, but did any of Mike's Defenses face 6 of the top 20 offenses in any season. I bet you find the answer in your little linky.
Actually, you could say 7, since we played one of them twice.

AZSOONER
5/19/2008, 02:10 PM
Defense.

That's really all there is. Defense wins championships and Sam shouldn't have to put up tech numbers. 2 TD should be enough to win 90% of our games.

OU_Sooners75
5/20/2008, 03:24 AM
That might be true, but did any of Mike's Defenses face 6 of the top 20 offenses in any season. I bet you find the answer in your little linky.
Actually, you could say 7, since we played one of them twice.

Don't go by yardage. Go by how many points that team can score with their offense.

This took some time since 1999 was in text format.

In 1999 OU (DC Mike Stoops) played against 3 top 25 scoring offenses (Lousiville, Colorado, Texas). We allowed 18.40 points/game
In 2000 OU (DC Mike Stoops) played against 5 top 25 scoring offenses, 4 of which were inside the top 8 in scoring offenses. (Florida State, KSU, Texas, Nebraska, UTEP). We allowed 16.00 points/game.
In 2001 OU (DC Mike Stoops) played against 3 top 25 scoring offenses, all of which were top 15 scoring offenses. (Nebraska, Texas, Texas Tech). We allowed 13.80 points/game.
In 2002 OU (DC Mike Stoops) played against 4 top 25 scoring offenses, all inside to top 17. (Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma State, Washington State). We allowed 15.40 points/game.
In 2003 OU (DC Mike Stoops) played against 5 top 25 scoring offenses, all inside the top 19. (Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Texas, LSU). We allowed 15.30 points/game.

In 2004 OU (DC Brent Venerables) played against 5 top 25 scoring offenses, all 5 inside the top 17. (Bowling Green, USC, Texas Tech, Okie Lite, Texas). We allowed 16.80 points/game.
In 2005 OU (DC BV) played against 6 top 25 scoring offenses. (Texas, Texas Tech, UCLA, Oregon, TCU, Tulsa). We allowed 23.10 points/game.
In 2006 OU (DC BV) played against 6 top 25 scoring offenses. (Texas, Boise State, Texas Tech, Oregon, Missouri, Oklahoma State). We allowed 17.30 points/game.
In 2007 OU (DC BV) played against 5 top 25 scoring offenses. (Oklahoma State, Missouri, Texas, Texas Tech, Tulsa). We allowed 20.30/game.

For 2007, I am not sure where you got the number "6, 7 counting playing one team twice." But there you have it.

stoopified
5/21/2008, 10:29 AM
I don't know what Sam WILL do next season but here is what he COULD do:

Move into 5th place in career passing with 624 yards(passing Warmack-3744).Given Stoops' desire for a balanced offense Heupel-7456 and White-7922 would appear to be out of reach,for this season anyhow.

With 36 career TD passes already Sam needs only 5 to move into 3rd place(passing Gundy,Hybl who are tied with 40).
!8 TD passes moves Bradford into 2nd (passing Heupel-53).It is unlikely to happen this coming season but 44 TD passes would move Sam into #1( passing White-79).
Move into 4th place in career passing with 1971 yards(passing Hybl-5091).
Possibly climb all the way to 3rd with 3566 yards(pssing Gundy-6686).

JLEW1818
5/27/2008, 05:17 PM
Was SAM a 3 or 4 star player out of high school? Why did he not get as much attention as he should of? Was his HS team not that good?

yermom
5/27/2008, 06:22 PM
his Senior year wasn't that great, if i remember right

it will be hard not to expect the world from him next year, he can basically only go down after the Freshman year he had, statistically anyway

VA Sooner
5/27/2008, 06:58 PM
Sam's high school (PC North in Oklahoma City) was never a powerhouse in football... I know, I'm an alumnus. The fact that he and the group of players his junior year (I think it was his junior year) could propel themselves to the state championship is definitely worth mentioning. Sam's character and his work ethics are what impress me the most in addition to his smarts. The rest of it will develop as he gets more and more experience... he'll have a pretty good future given that he'll be a starter for at least 3 years of his college career.

TUSooner
5/27/2008, 07:04 PM
For your paper, start by correctly spelling "separate"

YWIA! :)

JLEW1818
5/27/2008, 08:25 PM
Was Sam's final 2 decisions between Texas Tech and Oklahoma ?

OU_Sooners75
5/28/2008, 03:17 AM
Sam's high school (PC North in Oklahoma City) was never a powerhouse in football... I know, I'm an alumnus. The fact that he and the group of players his junior year (I think it was his junior year) could propel themselves to the state championship is definitely worth mentioning. Sam's character and his work ethics are what impress me the most in addition to his smarts. The rest of it will develop as he gets more and more experience... he'll have a pretty good future given that he'll be a starter for at least 3 years of his college career.

In the Mid 1990s PCN was a power house. Didnt they win like 2 or 3 State Titles in the mid 1990s?

birddog
5/28/2008, 08:02 AM
In the Mid 1990s PCN was a power house. Didnt they win like 2 or 3 State Titles in the mid 1990s?

1992, my sr. year there.

VA Sooner
5/28/2008, 09:12 AM
Who was quarterback that year? Did anyone on the 1992 team make it to the OU squad? I'll have to ask my friends who still live there if they remember. My brother graduated a few years before that...

badger
5/28/2008, 10:19 AM
Sam has a few things going against him that may lead to a sophomore slump.

(ducks as red squares get thrown my way)

Sam also has a few things going for him that may lead to title number 8.

(dances in confetti-like rain of green squares)

Sam had a lot of bad throws last year that ended up as catches because of our talented receiving core, namely MK. Sam would throw the ball behind him, but because MK was so talented, he would catch whatever was close to him. I'm not sure the same can be said about any of our receivers this year, which will probably be his primary targets.

Sam will also not have the benefit of Allen Patrick's running. If Demarco can stay healthy (I hope, I hope, I hope!), nothing to worry about. However, with less running backs stacked back there with less experience, it is a concern, nonetheless.

However, Sam also has probably the best offensive line in the country for all-out protection. Therefore, he can take all the time in the world to throw and that should help his accuracy. If receivers prove to not be reliable, he will still have the "touchdown tight end" option that fans seem to love so much :rolleyes:

And with that, I said a lot without saying a darn thing. Sam's year could go either way and I won't know which way that is until we see some fooseball action... which, btw CANNOT COME SOON ENOUGH. FOOTBALL!

NormanPride
5/28/2008, 11:24 AM
I'm predicting more INTs, fewer TDs, but a more stable and winning O from Sam. He'll be smart enough to take more chances (leading to more INTs) and have a better offense around him (leading to fewer TDs) but his experience and the experience of those around him will lead to a more efficient and winning offense.

Of course, if we light it up with a no-huddle, all bets are off and he could have an amazing season. I would be more confident if our WRs had a better track record. Iggy needs to learn to not take plays off, and Broyles needs to not be injured or stealing stuff. :mad: And no guns for Jarboe.

JLEW1818
5/28/2008, 02:26 PM
I'm predicting more INTs, fewer TDs, but a more stable and winning O from Sam. He'll be smart enough to take more chances (leading to more INTs) and have a better offense around him (leading to fewer TDs) but his experience and the experience of those around him will lead to a more efficient and winning offense.

Of course, if we light it up with a no-huddle, all bets are off and he could have an amazing season. I would be more confident if our WRs had a better track record. Iggy needs to learn to not take plays off, and Broyles needs to not be injured or stealing stuff. :mad: And no guns for Jarboe.

As far as Jarboe, is he on the team for sure??? hopefully..

KantoSooner
5/28/2008, 03:39 PM
anyone heard anything? I've googled and found nothing.

OU_Sooners75
5/29/2008, 02:43 AM

Yet his ratio will still be unbelievable. We do not need Jarboe this season anyway.

JLEW1818
5/29/2008, 04:00 AM
IS JARBOE COMING TO NORMAN TO PLAY FOOTBALL.... PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!

NormanPride
5/29/2008, 09:55 AM
We all know, but we don't want to tell you because you're being a poopy-head.

Actually, nobody's sure. Signs point to charges being dropped and him being here for the summer, but until it happens he's on hold.

JLEW1818
5/29/2008, 02:12 PM
We all know, but we don't want to tell you because you're being a poopy-head.

Actually, nobody's sure. Signs point to charges being dropped and him being here for the summer, but until it happens he's on hold.

I thought we were friends!:(

snp
5/29/2008, 02:58 PM
IS JARBOE COMING TO NORMAN TO PLAY FOOTBALL.... PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!

WHEN ANY OF US KNOW SOMETHING THERE WILL BE A BIG THREAD ABOUT IT, UNTIL THEN NOTHING IS FOR SURE.

It appears he's on track academically but it's in the hands of the court now.

JLEW1818
5/29/2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks

badger
5/29/2008, 04:41 PM
:eek:Norman Pride!
(pulls NP's ear)

:mad:Please excuse NP's poopyhead comments. Here is the most recent report on Jarboe as per NewsOK.com:
Linky (http://newsok.com/coach-stands-up-for-ou-signee-jarboe/article/3245301/)

Now, what do you say, NP? ;)

BoomerGirl34
5/29/2008, 04:44 PM
Sam's biggest asset is what he has between the ears. You can't coach "smarts" into an athlete.

NormanPride
5/29/2008, 04:49 PM
poopy head...

badger
5/29/2008, 04:50 PM
Someone asked earlier - rivals had him as a 3-star recruit.

His mug shot on there is very cute :D He looks like a big goofball a la Kevin Bookout

OUMallen
5/29/2008, 05:54 PM
My one suggestion: Don't field punts inside the 5 yard line....heck, inside the 10 yard line (re: Colorado 2007).

GAWD what a mistake that ended up being...

VA Sooner
5/31/2008, 09:24 AM
Jarboe's charges reduced... heard through the grapevine that it looks like he's still coming to Norman with scholarship intact... waiting for the final word from Georgia judge though.

swardboy
5/31/2008, 10:22 AM
Bob will keep Jarboe on the straight and narrow. I think he'll make a fine target for Sammy. I'm more excited to see how Broyles shapes up for the coming fall....

JLEW1818
5/31/2008, 01:50 PM
He will grow up really fast when that veteran number 1 in nation offensive line starts talking to him.

OU_Sooners75
6/2/2008, 02:14 AM
I predict that Sam will have about the same type of season this year as last year. Maybe even more TDs (with more INTs as well) if we do run the no huddle more often than not.

Sam Bradford seems to be one of the smarter QBs we have had at OU in a long time. Mesh that with the experience in the entire offense, Bradford is setting up for a very Heisman-like season. This year he has more experience and more confidence. Something he did not have last year. This year, he will be one of the leaders of the Sooner Football team.

People want to say sophomore slump. Well, Bradford will only be a sophomore on the field, not when it comes to development of his skills and knowledge of the offense. Also, a lot of sophomore slumps are due to the exit of a lot of talent at key positions from the previous year. Fortunately for Bradford, that does not come until 2009.