PDA

View Full Version : What do U think?

Okla-homey
5/14/2008, 08:37 AM
Some people seem to think BHO looks like Curious George. A bar owner down in Gawja even printed up t-shirts. Some other people are offended by the comparison, presumably because they percieve it as a racist afront.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/527/6e82b9dd64obama05142008du9.jpg
Offensive T: Pam Lindley of Marietta, Ga. holds the shirt sold by the Mulligan bar that’s stirred up protests and national attention.

It never occurred to me BHO resembled Curious George. In fact, I still don't see it.

Oh well, they did it to Lincoln....

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8289/lllmonkeyiv7.jpg

They've sure done it to Bush...

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/91/bushmonkeyrf6.jpg

Maybe people need to lighten up?

That is all.

My Opinion Matters
5/14/2008, 08:50 AM
10 pages.

Fugue
5/14/2008, 08:50 AM
People do need to lighten up fo sho but I'm pretty sure that it ALWAYS crosses the line when you do the African American/monkey comparison.

Okla-homey
5/14/2008, 09:03 AM
People do need to lighten up fo sho but I'm pretty sure that it ALWAYS crosses the line when you do the African American/monkey comparison.

but, like four of my nephews and nieces, his mom is a white lady from Kansas! And since his pop was from Africa, none of his ancestors were slaves. That's gotta move that line farther out. ;)

or maybe not. whatever.

SoonerBorn68
5/14/2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, but his grandmother is a "typical white person" so maybe she bought one of those shirts.

royalfan5
5/14/2008, 09:11 AM
I think the guy who printed the shirts is an idiot if he didn't expect an uproar.

Sooner_Bob
5/14/2008, 09:15 AM
Oh man . . . that's actually hilarious.

Curly Bill
5/14/2008, 09:16 AM
I think the guy who printed the shirts is an idiot if he didn't expect an uproar.

This guy should have expeted a jihad...oh wait, it's only Muslims that do that...oh wait...oh...never mind.

edit...by the way: everyone knows I was kidding about that Muslim thing right? :O

Czar Soonerov
5/14/2008, 10:08 AM
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9987/294945256c14f088931a567sa4.jpg

JohnnyMack
5/14/2008, 10:11 AM
You're bored, aren't you Homey?

SoonerBorn68
5/14/2008, 10:16 AM
Michelle Obama is the debbil.

SoonerBorn68
5/14/2008, 10:20 AM
oops. ;)

C&CDean
5/14/2008, 10:43 AM
I could print a picture of a giant turd with "Obama 08" next to it and all the Al Sharpton/jesse jackson wannabes in the world would go "that's racist cause the turd is brown."

Meh. He does look a little like Curious George, but not as much as Bush looks like Alfred E. Neumann.

Civicus_Sooner
5/14/2008, 10:49 AM
Michelle Obama is the debbil.
Or not. ;)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/TSRoberts/obana2.jpg

colleyvillesooner
5/14/2008, 11:18 AM
Heard a segment from CNN on the radio yesterday.

Old man said he sold the shirts as a fundraiser and gave all the money for MDA. Said he never even thought about it being racist, just thought he kinda looked like curious george when he smiled.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cobb/stories/2008/05/13/mulligans_0514.html

C&CDean
5/14/2008, 01:02 PM
Heard a segment from CNN on the radio yesterday.

Old man said he sold the shirts as a fundraiser and gave all the money for MDA. Said he never even thought about it being racist, just thought he kinda looked like curious george when he smiled.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cobb/stories/2008/05/13/mulligans_0514.html

Yeah, sure, right you racist. Every white person that does something like this is just a racist. Well only as long as it's a black person they're doing it about. If it's a white person (say, oh, GWB) then it's really funny. To the white lefties anyhow. Who oddly enough are the ones who get all tweaked over the monkey/black thing. Lefties are weird. I think I'm gonna start calling them all "Sybil."

Sooner_Bob
5/14/2008, 01:05 PM
I heard the Rev. Wright bought one . . . and wore it when he preached last Sunday.

I really have no clue if he did or not. Chill.

soonerbrat
5/14/2008, 01:33 PM
i think I need a drink

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 01:40 PM
So who is his "Man in the Yellow Hat"?

JohnnyMack
5/14/2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah, sure, right you racist. Every white person that does something like this is just a racist. Well only as long as it's a black person they're doing it about. If it's a white person (say, oh, GWB) then it's really funny. To the white lefties anyhow. Who oddly enough are the ones who get all tweaked over the monkey/black thing. Lefties are weird. I think I'm gonna start calling them all "Sybil."

You're smarter than this.

C&CDean
5/14/2008, 02:06 PM
You're smarter than this.

Really?

If your boy looked like Lilly ****ing Munster then the T-shirt should be of Lilly. He just happens to look like Curious George. It's not really that hard is it? Why does being PC = being smart?

JohnnyMack
5/14/2008, 02:17 PM
You look like Lilly Munster.

JohnnyMack
5/14/2008, 02:22 PM
If you think it's appropriate to portray a black man as a monkey then you're a dumbass.

C&CDean
5/14/2008, 02:42 PM
If you think it's appropriate to portray a black man as a monkey then you're a dumbass.

But it's OK to portray GWB as one?

**** the double standard. If a guy looks like a monkey wtf is the problem? Oh yeah, that's right, it's not appropriate in today's candy-assed society. Meh.

And you kinda resemble one of those salamanders that lives in the cave that doesn't have any eyes.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 02:52 PM
White people where not portrayed as big lipped, black face monkeys as little as 60 years ago.

RSDB (http://www.rsdb.org/?sort=represents)

Tell me, is "monkey" or "Ape" on there any where as a description as black people?

yermom
5/14/2008, 02:55 PM
dude, i'm an non-PC as they come, but references to black people to monkeys is over the line.

it's a really easy way to set them up as sub-human. the KKK is big on referring to blacks as monkeys

C&CDean
5/14/2008, 02:57 PM
White people where not portrayed as big lipped, black face monkeys as little as 60 years ago.

Tell me, is "monkey" or "Ape" on there any where as a description as black people?

What's your point?

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 02:59 PM
What's your point?

Um, referring to black people as monkeys or apes is racist.

C&CDean
5/14/2008, 03:00 PM
it's a really easy way to set them up as sub-human. the KKK is big on referring to blacks as monkeys

Only to morons, *******s like the KKK, and hand-wringing liberals.

Dude looks like Curious George. It was one of my favorites. But we can't say it cause somebody said black folks look like monkeys 60 years ago?

C&CDean
5/14/2008, 03:01 PM
Um, referring to black people as monkeys or apes is racist.

Um, no ****? I don't think anybody called him a "monkey." They said he looks like Curious George. WTF is wrong with you people?

yermom
5/14/2008, 03:09 PM
Only to morons, *******s like the KKK, and hand-wringing liberals.

Dude looks like Curious George. It was one of my favorites. But we can't say it cause somebody said black folks look like monkeys 60 years ago?

yeah... 60 years ago...

JohnnyMack
5/14/2008, 03:11 PM
yeah... 60 years ago...

Yeah, 60 years ago, when Dean was in grade school.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 03:16 PM
Um, no ****? I don't think anybody called him a "monkey." They said he looks like Curious George. WTF is wrong with you people?

What is Curious George?

yermom
5/14/2008, 03:17 PM
that's what Rush said, lol

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_030308/content/01125113.guest.html

mdklatt
5/14/2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, 60 years ago, when Dean was in grade school.

I thought Dean got kicked out grade school for being a ***** hound?

soonerbrat
5/14/2008, 03:19 PM
I think you guys are funny

C&CDean
5/14/2008, 03:45 PM
I thought Dean got kicked out grade school for being a ***** hound?

I did get kicked out, but it was for bitch slapping all the little pantywaists who didn't know who Curious George is.

stoopified
5/14/2008, 03:49 PM
Michelle Obama is the debbil.Actually the Antichrist.

SoonerInKCMO
5/14/2008, 03:50 PM

D00d! Sweet-*** link - now I know what to call people!

C&CDean
5/14/2008, 03:54 PM

I just now went to that link. My only question is why does a self-proclaimed non-racist like Havok have a link like that to share with everybody?

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 03:56 PM
Google "Racial Slurs"

I always need a few more good Italian slurs :D

C&CDean
5/14/2008, 03:58 PM
Google "Racial Slurs"

Why? I'm damn near 51 years old. All the good racial slurs worth using I've already heard. However, I did see a couple on there that made me snicker.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 04:06 PM
Why? I'm damn near 51 years old. All the good racial slurs worth using I've already heard. However, I did see a couple on there that made me snicker.

You ever hear about those new Italian all terrain tires? :D

All kidding aside, you do have to tread lightly around some racial slurs. Even in jest, referencing a black man as any form of monkey is bad ju-ju. When people refer to W as a monkey it is more of a satire of how a lot of people view him (justly or unjustly.) But when referring to a black person as a monkey, it also carries a lot of racial undertones.

5/14/2008, 04:06 PM
I must admit, I laughed out loud at some of the names in Havoc's link.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 04:07 PM
I must admit, I laughed out loud at some of the names in Havoc's link.

Mrs. Havok is my little "apple" ;)

yermom
5/14/2008, 04:09 PM
"Branch Manager"

come to think of it, i think i've heard that one before :eek:

5/14/2008, 04:12 PM
My favorite so far is "Hatchet-Packer."

I've got enough Delaware in my veins to laugh at it.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 04:14 PM
My favorite so far is "Hatchet-Packer."

I've got enough Delaware in my veins to laugh at it.

I am partial to "Groundskeeper Willie" myself

mdklatt
5/14/2008, 04:25 PM

Chopper (Americans): There is a high circumcision rate in the United States

Lamest. Slur. EVER.

mdklatt
5/14/2008, 04:34 PM
Ant (Antarcticans): Self-explanatory

Antarcticans?! Okay, I call shenanigans on that web site.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 04:36 PM
Antarcticans?! Okay, I call shenanigans on that web site.

Try this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_Slurs):D

mdklatt
5/14/2008, 05:03 PM
Try this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_Slurs):D

There's some good stuff on there. Somebody should add "dirt burglar". :D

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 05:08 PM
There's some good stuff on there. Somebody should add "dirt burglar". :D

in

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 05:11 PM
done, should I add land thief as well?

yermom
5/14/2008, 05:13 PM
dem gooners

Civicus_Sooner
5/14/2008, 05:26 PM
All kidding aside, you do have to tread lightly around some racial slurs. Even in jest, referencing a black man as any form of monkey is bad ju-ju. When people refer to W as a monkey it is more of a satire of how a lot of people view him (justly or unjustly.) But when referring to a black person as a monkey, it also carries a lot of racial undertones.That's exactly the point if whitey can't say Obama looks like Curious George but blacks can say that Bush looks like a monkey, something is clearly wrong with our culture.

As a matter of fact, this is all going to blow up in this general election. I really think the "Change" that Obama brings to this country will be the end of all the double standards and will bring about his defeat.

All of our ancestors came here in different ships but now we're all in the same boat. Don't have Black this, African American that and tell me that it's racist to say some one who actually looks like a monkey, looks like a monkey.

In other words, don't pee on my shoulder and tell me its raining.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 05:31 PM
That's exactly the point if whitey can't say Obama looks like Curious George but blacks can say that Bush looks like a monkey, something is clearly wrong with our culture.

As a matter of fact, this is all going to blow up in this general election. I really think the "Change" that Obama brings to this country will be the end of all the double standards and will bring about his defeat.

All of our ancestors came here in different ships but now we're all in the same boat. Don't have Black this, African American that and tell me that it's racist to say some one who actually looks like a monkey, looks like a monkey.

In other words, don't pee on my shoulder and tell me its raining.

So if a black person calls you a white-bread, cracker ***, honky MF, you are cool with it?

Civicus_Sooner
5/14/2008, 05:37 PM
So if a black person calls you a white-bread, cracker ***, honky MF, you are cool with it?
I'm a native american/Irish, so I'd probably just laugh at the dumb somebitch.

Look dude, I'm not saying that calling anyone a name is ok, it's just really not ok for some to be able to and others to not.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 05:38 PM
But monkey or ape isn't a racial slur against white people

Civicus_Sooner
5/14/2008, 05:40 PM
But monkey or ape isn't a racial slur against white peopleSure it is, we all share 98% of our DNA with Chimps. Black, white, native american, etc...

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 05:41 PM
Your not offended by being called a cracker, but you said yourself your not white. Do you like redskin, prairie ******, or Buffalo Jockey?

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 05:43 PM
Sure it is, we all share 98% of our DNA with Chimps. Black, white, native american, etc...

All humans are primates, yes, but not all humans have been dehumanized in the past by being called monkeys or apes

Civicus_Sooner
5/14/2008, 05:43 PM
Your not offended by being called a cracker, but you said yourself your not white. Do you like redskin, prairie ******, or Buffalo Jockey?

Man, you aren't very bright are ya? Go back and reread my original point. It's about double standards.

Turd_Ferguson
5/14/2008, 05:47 PM
I ain't nothin but a cracka *** cracka.

Oh, and a lot of mick too:D

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 05:55 PM
Man, you aren't very bright are ya? Go back and reread my original point. It's about double standards.

I think you are the dim one here. I understand you think it is about double standards, and in a way it is. Not the way you think though. White people were never called monkeys by black people. There were never cartoons of white people represented as dumb sub-humans. Therefore when you represent a white person like Bush as being like a monkey, it does not carry racial undertones. On the other hand, blacks were considered less than human for centuries in this country. Calling them monkeys only reinforced this idea that they weren't humans, and thus could be treated differently.

But here is the double standard my friend. You don't like being called by racial stereotypes, do you. No one does. If someone called you a potato eating savage, you would take offense to that correct? Why then should black people not take offense to being called a racial slur?

As I said, the problem here is one of context, not double standards. Calling an indian a honky makes no sense. Honky has only one context, a derogatory term for white people. Monkey on the other hand has two contexts. One questioning someones intelligence, the other questioning someones humanity.

Harry Beanbag
5/14/2008, 06:05 PM
I can't wait until us whiteys are the minority in this country, then we can play these stupid games. Woo Hoo! :rolleyes:

Racial tensions in this country will never end unless people quite acting like they're offended at every dumbass comment. Curious George is a ****ing cartoon for God's sake.

Turd_Ferguson
5/14/2008, 06:07 PM
How come it don't bother me when someone calls me cracka *** cracka, or honky, or white bread, or baldy? (edit to add, Baldy does kinda **** me off....just a little.)

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 06:08 PM
look, I am all for ending affirmative action. I think people should be rewarded based on merit, not skin color. But still, no one likes being called racial slurs.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 06:11 PM
How come it don't bother me when someone calls me cracka *** cracka, or honky, or white bread, or baldy?

cause white folks were never deprived the right to vote, or any freedoms for that matter in America?

Turd_Ferguson
5/14/2008, 06:11 PM
Curious George is a ****ing cartoon for God's sake.

http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/recent/fullmohammed.jpg

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 06:13 PM
Curious George is a ****ing cartoon for God's sake.

http://tradevsol.com/images/smoking%20sambo.JPG

so is this, care to comment?

Harry Beanbag
5/14/2008, 06:14 PM
http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/recent/fullmohammed.jpg

Even though Barack is an America hatin' Islamic jihaadist mole, he doesn't look anything like that guy. :)

Harry Beanbag
5/14/2008, 06:16 PM
http://tradevsol.com/images/smoking%20sambo.JPG

so is this, care to comment?

On what? When was that last used? I saw a Curious George book in the store just last week.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 06:20 PM
On what? When was that last used? I saw a Curious George book in the store just last week.

But is is just a cartoon, it can't be offensive in any way, right?

Harry Beanbag
5/14/2008, 06:25 PM
But is is just a cartoon, it can't be offensive in any way, right?

How tall are you?

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 06:29 PM
How tall are you?

I'm just saying, just cause the damned thing is a cartoon monkey doesn't make it any better.

Put Mr. Hankey on a shirt that says George Bush's presidency. Does the fact that it is a cartoon turd take anything away from the intended statement?

Harry Beanbag
5/14/2008, 06:33 PM
I think Mr. Hankey is pretty damn cool. I have a Mr. Hankey Christmas ornament that I hang on the tree every year. Seriously.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 06:38 PM
I think Mr. Hankey is pretty damn cool. I have a Mr. Hankey Christmas ornament that I hang on the tree every year. Seriously.

:rolleyes:

:D

CORNholio
5/14/2008, 06:40 PM
cause white folks were never deprived the right to vote, or any freedoms for that matter in America?

Weren't non land owning poor whites denied the right to vote in order to keep white immigrants such as Irish from voting? Or am I mistaken?

Big Red Ron
5/14/2008, 06:43 PM
Jeez, the PC police have really done a number on this country. Most of us on here weren't around when the "monkey business" was going on.

Havok, what do you think about starting a Miss. White America or say a WETV station?

I agree with Civicus on one thing for sure. This election cycle is going to be about race and it isn't going to be good for Obama. And not because Americans are racist but because, apparently he is.

If you segregate yourself for 20 years and run for POTUS that's a bad idea.

soonerinabilene
5/14/2008, 06:48 PM
Afro-Saxon
(North America) A young white male devotee of African-American pop culture.[5]

heh.The pc term for whigger.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 06:59 PM
Weren't non land owning poor whites denied the right to vote in order to keep white immigrants such as Irish from voting? Or am I mistaken?

At that time, did any white people vote? Did any black people vote?

Jeez, the PC police have really done a number on this country. Most of us on here weren't around when the "monkey business" was going on.

So the only thing preventing you from walking up to black man and calling him a monkey, a ******, or a coon is political correctness? Has the ****ing world gone mad? Am I the only person who doesn't think it very nice to use language that offends people?If that is the case, why the hell are there words censored on this board? Do you really not see why calling a black person a monkey is wrong?

Havok, what do you think about starting a Miss. White America or say a WETV station?

Do me a favor. Watch CBS for a week and make a tally mark for every black person you see in a lead role. Or how many series are based on inner city families, not suburban ones.

I agree with Civicus on one thing for sure. This election cycle is going to be about race and it isn't going to be good for Obama. And not because Americans are racist but because, apparently he is.

If you segregate yourself for 20 years and run for POTUS that's a bad idea.

So he is racist for going to a church with other black people, and for living in their communities? He is racist for not fleeing from the urban blight of the cities? Again, get your piece of paper out. Count every black person at your church on Sunday, every black family in your neighborhood. I bet there aren't many. But I wouldn't want to live with people who were ok with calling me by racial slurs either, even if I had the money.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 07:13 PM
P.S.

I'm done. I'm sticking to happy stupid threads and harassing RLIMC & Rus from now on.

soonerbrat
5/14/2008, 07:15 PM
I'm Irish, I think my people were treated badly. woe is me.

Harry Beanbag
5/14/2008, 07:28 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't think it very nice to use language that offends people?

You're fighting a battle that doesn't really exist. Saying Obama looks like Curious George, a harmless cartoon character that's been around for decades, shouldn't be offensive. It's a humorous coincidence, not racist. Kind of like Mack Brown looking like Rosco P. Coltrane. This is the crucial point in this discussion that you apparently can't see.

No matter how analogous you think Curious George and that black face caricature used 100 years ago to sell cigarettes are, they just aren't.

Do you really not see why calling a black person a monkey is wrong?

Of course that's very unsavory, but that's not what happened here.

olevetonahill
5/14/2008, 07:37 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112304
Same **** different Day
What the **** is wrong with you peoples?:P

Curly Bill
5/14/2008, 07:44 PM
How come it don't bother me when someone calls me cracka *** cracka, or honky, or white bread, or baldy? (edit to add, Baldy does kinda **** me off....just a little.)

Exactly, I'm not bald, but about the other stuff? Who gives a crap! You can choose to be offended by stupid stuff like this or not. Some peeps seem to live their life around being offended by something or the other. It's the good ol' victim mentality hard at work.

Rogue
5/14/2008, 09:12 PM
Saying BO looks like Curious George is just being too lazy to come up with a unique put-down. Instead, let's just recycle a funny one that's been used on GWB. He looks nothing like Curious George.

Some of the things in the link are funny, many of them are just cruel. The references to the holocaust in some of the slurs about Jews are awful.

Rogue
5/14/2008, 09:14 PM
The list is entirely incomplete without at least 100 slurs about Texans.

Sooner_Havok
5/14/2008, 09:31 PM
I will give you that maybe sometimes people can be over sensitive to crap, and I am sure that this whole thing was never meant to be racial. But sometimes people do or say **** without regard how others might perceive things.

def_lazer_fc
5/14/2008, 10:19 PM

solid. and i'll just call you a walking heart attack waiting to happen.

Big Red Ron
5/14/2008, 10:54 PM
P.S.

I'm done. I'm sticking to happy stupid threads and harassing RLIMC & Rus from now on.
Good, cuz a battle of wits should be fair. :rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
5/14/2008, 10:58 PM
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5849/thatsracistdk6.gif

But it's okay for black comics to say things like this and Imus gets fired.. That's the difference.

Scott D
5/14/2008, 11:01 PM
But it's okay for black comics to say things like this and Imus gets fired.. That's the difference.

Imus should get fired because he's not funny ;)

This thread is stupid.

tommieharris91
5/15/2008, 12:01 AM

This thread is stupid.

So true.

The only good thing that came outta this thread was the list of the million racial slurs. I'm surprised it's not locked yet.

KC//CRIMSON
5/15/2008, 12:31 AM
I think you are the dim one here. I understand you think it is about double standards, and in a way it is. Not the way you think though. White people were never called monkeys by black people. There were never cartoons of white people represented as dumb sub-humans. Therefore when you represent a white person like Bush as being like a monkey, it does not carry racial undertones. On the other hand, blacks were considered less than human for centuries in this country. Calling them monkeys only reinforced this idea that they weren't humans, and thus could be treated differently.

But here is the double standard my friend. You don't like being called by racial stereotypes, do you. No one does. If someone called you a potato eating savage, you would take offense to that correct? Why then should black people not take offense to being called a racial slur?

As I said, the problem here is one of context, not double standards. Calling an indian a honky makes no sense. Honky has only one context, a derogatory term for white people. Monkey on the other hand has two contexts. One questioning someones intelligence, the other questioning someones humanity.

Exactly. Spot on.

If you were to go up to a group of black folks and call them a bunch of platypuses they'd probably just look at you like you're retarded.

Now, you go up to a group of black folks and call them a bunch of monkeys?

You're gonna get your *hit wrecked.

C&CDean
5/15/2008, 10:23 AM

This thread is stupid.

STFU Kong.

OklahomaRed
5/15/2008, 10:47 AM
Obama is not a racist because he went to a black church. Obama is a racist because he sat in a church that spouted half truths, lies, and accusations against whitey for causing all of the black social issues. Black social issues will not go away until (aka Bill Cosby) black leaders step up to influence black society to quit blaming others for their problems, look to themselves for leadership and solutions, and quit waiting on the government to give them another social program. Social programs do not work in the long run. They may fix short term problems, but social programs were never meant to fix long term issues. Eventually, whatever the society is, has to get off the government tit and make their own way in the world. Obama is a racist because he sat is a church that preached whitey as the enemy for 20 years.

Back to the original picture? I'm suprised no one has said anything about the appearance of the lady selling or protesting? :confused:

mdklatt
5/15/2008, 10:57 AM
This thread is stupid.

Did you expect anything less when a bunch of rednecks and crackers get together to decide what black people are allowed to be offended by? :texan:

OklahomaRed
5/15/2008, 11:00 AM
Did you expect anything less when a bunch of rednecks and crackers get together to decide what black people are allowed to be offended by? :texan:

Heh! :D

Personally I wouldn't walk up to any black person, regardless if they looked pretty chocolate milk, and say Obama looks like Curious George; however, the arguement is that black people can call whitey names, but whitey has to keep his trap shut cause he might offend the black person. Double standard or not?:gary:

mdklatt
5/15/2008, 11:20 AM
however, the arguement is that black people can call whitey names, but whitey has to keep his trap shut cause he might offend the black person. Double standard or not?

It looks to me like most of this thread is devoted to why black people shouldn't be offended by being called monkeys. You are not allowed to decide what somebody else finds offensive; that's just not the way it works. However, if you want to defend somebody's right (white or black) to say something stupid and offensive, I'm behind you 100%--as long as you recognize that they should sack up and accept whatever the consequences of that are. Should a white guy get convicted of a "hate crime" for mouthing off to a bunch of black guys? Oh hell no. Should we care when he subsequently gets his *** beat down for it? Not really.

As to your question, is there a double standard? Maybe. Give me a specific example of where, for example, a prominent black media personality called somebody "white trash" and wasn't fired. "Black comedians make jokes about white people all the time" doesn't cut it. I see plenty of white comedians making jokes about black people and everybody else all the time; I guess some of you don't get Comedy Central.

Even if there is a double standard, so what? There's been a double standard in favor of white people (white males in particular) in this country for a long, long time, so we really need to STFU and quit acting like a bunch of whiny little bitches when somebody hurts our feelings.

And if you really want to see a double standard in action, search the SO for threads about "Dixie Chicks" and "Don Imus" and see what you can find.

Scott D
5/15/2008, 11:30 AM
STFU Kong.

you first Swamp Yankee. :D

Big Red Ron
5/15/2008, 11:43 AM
Red, It is amusing that the lady selling the shirt is, in fact, Black.

It's just so damn racist! :rolleyes:

KC//CRIMSON
5/15/2008, 12:17 PM
Not as amusing as your reading comprehension skills.....

Offensive T: Pam Lindley of Marietta, Ga. holds the shirt sold by the Mulligan bar that’s stirred up protests and national attention.

I bet she's protesting the shirts, not selling them, Einstein.

yermom
5/15/2008, 12:24 PM
personally, i kinda think Obama looks like Dubya ;)

Sooner_Havok
5/15/2008, 12:25 PM
personally, i kinda think Obama kinda looks like Dubya ;)

Personally, I kinda think Dubya looks like he needs a pair of Ray Bans ;)

Big Red Ron
5/15/2008, 12:28 PM
personally, i kinda think Obama looks like Dubya ;)That right there is some funny chit! Spek brutha!

C&CDean
5/15/2008, 12:56 PM
Give me a specific example of where, for example, a prominent black media personality called somebody "white trash" and wasn't fired. "Black comedians make jokes about white people all the time" doesn't cut it. I see plenty of white comedians making jokes about black people and everybody else all the time; I guess some of you don't get Comedy Central.

Even if there is a double standard, so what? There's been a double standard in favor of white people (white males in particular) in this country for a long, long time, so we really need to STFU and quit acting like a bunch of whiny little bitches when somebody hurts our feelings.

And if you really want to see a double standard in action, search the SO for threads about "Dixie Chicks" and "Don Imus" and see what you can find.

Please.

Obama has already called his own grandmammy a "common white person." What does that mean? Is it a racist comment? Is he still running for office? Has he been fired yet? If a "white" guy happened to have a "black" grandma and called her a "common black lady" how many protests would we be seeing?

Nobody's feelings are hurt here except a couple of white apologists who still think it's necessary to perform penance for the sins of our grandaddies.

We're not talking about calling people names here. We're talking about a person that happens to look like a cartoon character that somebody is marketing. What happened to freedom of speech? Oh I forgot, it too is a one way street.

Animal Mother
5/15/2008, 01:00 PM

The lab called and your brain came back "benign with no trace of knowledge".

C&CDean
5/15/2008, 01:06 PM
The lab called and your brain came back "benign with no trace of knowledge".

The lab called and your stool sample came back "completely loaded with sperm."

Sooner_Havok
5/15/2008, 01:08 PM
http://www.3dexport.com/models/plasticboy/original_coca_cola_bottle/1.jpg

I'd like to buy this thread a coke

Frozen Sooner
5/15/2008, 01:19 PM
What do I think? I think than anyone who attempts to make a parallel between a black person and a monkey is treading on some pretty loaded ground, whether they know it or not, whether they intended to be or not.

I think that anyone bringing up "free speech" as a reason why people shouldn't be upset when people use racist imagery don't understand that the right to free speech includes the right of others to be critical of said speech.

Animal Mother
5/15/2008, 01:28 PM
The lab called and your stool sample came back "completely loaded with sperm."

Right. They took the sample right after you kissed my ***.

mdklatt
5/15/2008, 01:35 PM
What happened to freedom of speech? Oh I forgot, it too is a one way street.

I explicitly defended freedom of speech. But freedom of speech includes somebody else's right to get ****ed off at what you said as well as your right to say it. So somebody compares Obama to Curious George. Whatever, tempest in a teapot. But to defend that instance of free speech while expecting other people keep their mouths shut about it is ridiculous.

MR2-Sooner86
5/15/2008, 01:38 PM
http://www.ostblog.de/bilder/liberal_crap.jpg

soonermix
5/15/2008, 02:06 PM
can somebody give BHO a banana and we can solve this once and for all
and while we are at it give john kerry a yellow hat

C&CDean
5/15/2008, 02:17 PM
Right. They took the sample right after you kissed my ***.

I believe in returning the favor. I'm a nice guy. What can I say?

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2008, 02:20 PM
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/2352/merrygoroundrv2.jpg

WHHHEEEEEEE!

Fugue
5/15/2008, 02:36 PM
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/2352/merrygoroundrv2.jpg

WHHHEEEEEEE!

this may be your best one yet.
i like that kid with the hat in the middle. :les:

SoonerInKCMO
5/15/2008, 02:48 PM
Good ****ing lord; some people are denser than osmium up in here.

C&CDean
5/15/2008, 02:50 PM
Alright boys and girls. I guess it's time. We had, for the most part, a reasonable discussion here on a fairly "hot" topic, with the only real strayers/violators being AM and myself. So, good job.

If you want to continue discussing Obama, Bush, Hillary, McCain, monkeys, or anything else that came up in this thread you are more than welcome to start a new thread. I believe this one has become, like CVS pointed out, a circle jerk.