PDA

View Full Version : OU Student elected mayor of Muskogee!

sooner n houston
5/14/2008, 07:36 AM
MUSKOGEE, Okla. - A 19-year-old freshman at the University of Oklahoma was elected mayor Tuesday of Muskogee, a city of 38,000 in the northeastern part of the state.

With all precincts reporting, John Tyler Hammons won with 70 percent of the vote over former Mayor Hershel Ray McBride, said Muskogee County Election Board Secretary Bill Bull.

"The public placing their trust in me is the greatest, humbling and most awesome experience I've ever had in my life," said Hammons, who is from Muskogee but attends the university in Norman.

The two candidates squared off in a runoff election for the nonpartisan post after neither secured 50 percent of the vote in a six-person election April 1.

Hammons, who will be sworn in next week, said he plans to continue his college education but expects to transfer to a school closer to Muskogee.

"Being elected does not change my desire to continue my education," he said. "We will schedule our time in an appropriate fashion so that I can be mayor and stay in school."

Hammons replaces Wren Stratton, who decided not to seek re-election after one term.

The mayor leads the nine-member city council and serves as a voting member. Hammons said a key to his platform that resonated with voters was openness of government and keeping citizens better informed of city operations.

"I think that's been a detriment to the trust of the citizens of Muskogee," he said. "Once we have that trust, we can solve any other problem."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080514/ap_on_fe_st/odd_young_mayor;_ylt=AqWTuTzpMUom5XChz3iED1MZ.3QA

Okla-homey
5/14/2008, 08:06 AM
He ain't an OU student for long.

The story I read up here in Tulsa contained a quote in which hizzonner stated he intends to transfer to NSU in order to serve his term as mayor and live among his Muskogee constituents.

That seems like a pretty high price to pay if'n you ask me.

5/14/2008, 08:10 AM
Especially considering the Mayor and city council members receive no salary or other compensation for their services.

Okla-homey
5/14/2008, 08:15 AM
Especially considering the Mayor and city council members receive no salary or other compensation for their services.

I expect he intends to use the mayoralty of Muskogee as a springboard to higher office...like county commissioner, state representative or even federal inmate.;)

Just my opinion mind you, but I generally do not approve of politicians who attain office without ever having held a real job. He may be a nice kid, but the whole thing smacks of rank opportunism to moi.

badger
5/14/2008, 08:22 AM
Muskogee hasn't had something new and exciting in years. Maybe this is residents saying "I don't care how much experience he has. He has fresh ideas and he's fresh face, so he's got my vote."

...remind you of a certain presidential candidate? :D

boomersooner28
5/14/2008, 08:30 AM
A few years back, my hometown elected a 18 year old mayor...straight outta high school. The town burnt down. No, I'm kidding. :D

TheUnnamedSooner
5/14/2008, 11:07 AM
said Hammons, who is from Muskogee

Yes, but is he an Okie?

ok, that was bad

JohnnyMack
5/14/2008, 11:25 AM
I expect he intends to use the mayoralty of Muskogee as a springboard to higher office...like county commissioner, state representative or even federal inmate.;)

Just my opinion mind you, but I generally do not approve of politicians who attain office without ever having held a real job. He may be a nice kid, but the whole thing smacks of rank opportunism to moi.

Once again Homey leans towards the old white dude.

;)

royalfan5
5/14/2008, 11:26 AM
How crappy does the previous administration have to be to get the whole show turned over to a 19 year old?

NormanPride
5/14/2008, 11:35 AM
"...and an XBox in every livingroom!" *cheers*

mdklatt
5/14/2008, 11:43 AM
He's going to have to get a nice dressy pair of flip-flops for official functions.

SoonerJack
5/14/2008, 12:31 PM
note to self: put Muskogee municipal website on RSS feed.

Rhino
5/14/2008, 01:18 PM
Muskogee's new mayor:

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v134/82/123/1444530229/n1444530229_30025555_2433.jpg

Partial Qualifier
5/14/2008, 04:27 PM
wasn't this the guy on American Idol, made it to hollywood but got booted early on? or something like that?

Rhino
5/14/2008, 09:55 PM
wasn't this the guy on American Idol, made it to hollywood but got booted early on? or something like that? No, you're thinking of Colton Swon (http://www.myspace.com/coltonswon).