PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...If you're over 35, you probably have a certain scar. Here's why.

Okla-homey
5/14/2008, 06:44 AM
May 14, 1796: Jenner tests smallpox vaccine

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9153/jjjjjennerqa0.jpg

212 years ago today, Edward Jenner, an English country doctor from Gloucestershire, administers the world's first vaccination as a preventive treatment for smallpox, a disease that had killed millions of people over the centuries. The term "smallpox" was first used in Europe in the 15th century to distinguish variola from the "great pox" (syphilis). Smallpox was a serious disease which had an overall mortality rate of 30–35%.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/2503/jjjjjsmallpoxnj6.jpg
20th century smallpox victim. Those sores are pus-filled blisters.

While still a medical student, Jenner noticed that milkmaids who had contracted a disease called cowpox, which caused blistering on cow's udders, did not catch smallpox. Unlike smallpox, which caused severe skin eruptions and dangerous fevers in humans, cowpox led to few ill symptoms in these women.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7518/jjjjsmallpxsa4.jpg
Trust me kid.

On May 14, 1796, Jenner took fluid from a cowpox blister and scratched it into the skin of James Phipps, an eight-year-old boy. A single blister rose up on the spot, but James soon recovered. On July 1, Jenner inoculated the boy again, this time with smallpox matter, and no disease developed. The vaccine was a success.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5893/jjjjim1148elss3.jpg
These lancets were owned and used by Edward Jenner, the Gloucestershire doctor who introduced vaccination to the world.

Doctors all over Europe soon adopted Jenner's innovative technique, leading to a drastic decline in new sufferers of the devastating disease.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8098/jjjjs3201002ibq4.jpg
Just as now, some superstitious folks claimed vaccination was flirting with disaster because the risks outweighed the benefits. Balderdash of course, but there you have it. This 18th century cartoon depicts those vaccinated under Jenner's procedure developing bovine characteristics as a result of being injected with cow pox pus.

In the 19th and 20th centuries, scientists following Jenner's model developed new vaccines to fight numerous deadly diseases, including polio, whooping cough, measles, tetanus, yellow fever, typhus, and hepatitis B, and many others.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3943/jjjjicevvbs3.jpg
Jenner's paper.

For about eighty years, most everyone in the developed world recieved the smallpox vaccination in childhood. Just like young James Phipps way back in 1796, the vaccination patient developed a blister at the site that eventually healed and left a scar. Mine's on my upper left arm.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3838/jjjjsmallpoxvaxac3.jpg
Mommy noooooooooo!!!!!! Boy getting his smallpox shot.

More sophisticated smallpox vaccines were also developed and by 1970 international vaccination programs, such as those undertaken by the World Health Organization, had eliminated smallpox worldwide. To this day, smallpox is the only human infectious disease to have been completely eradicated from nature. Thus, today's kids are no longer vaccinated against smallpox.

olevetonahill
5/14/2008, 06:47 AM
Mines On my left shoulder
I didnt even read the Post and New what Ya was talkin about lol:P

SoonerBorn68
5/14/2008, 06:50 AM
Mine's on my left shoulder too.

olevetonahill
5/14/2008, 06:52 AM
Mine's on my left shoulder too.

I think they did em On the Left sos theyd be Far away from that right Hook that was gonna come at em

Okla-homey
5/14/2008, 07:01 AM
BTW. We still have the virus. This from Wiki (so its veracity is certainly questionable,) but, here goes:

...all known stocks of smallpox were destroyed or transferred to one of two WHO reference laboratories; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States and the State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology VECTOR in Koltsovo, Russia where a regiment of troops guard it.

In 1986, the World Health Organization recommended destruction of the virus, and later set the date of destruction to be 30 December 1993. This was postponed to 30 June 1995. In 2002 the policy of the WHO changed to be against its final destruction. The stocks are not needed to respond to a smallpox outbreak, but the stocks may be useful in developing new vaccines, antiviral drugs, and diagnostic tests.

Harry Beanbag
5/14/2008, 07:11 AM
I don't have one.

olevetonahill
5/14/2008, 07:27 AM
I don't have one.

Cry baby

TUSooner
5/14/2008, 07:28 AM
In 2002 the policy of the WHO changed to be against its final destruction. The stocks are not needed to respond to a smallpox outbreak, but the stocks may be useful in developing new vaccines, antiviral drugs, diagnostic tests and biological weapons to destroy mankind in nasty ways. .
Corrected!
Additional - but entirely useless - information:
The root of "vaccination" is "vacca" which is Latin for cow. In the Hispanic world, a cowboy is a "vaquero" which Anglo tongues easily corrupted to "buckaroo."

Harry Beanbag
5/14/2008, 07:29 AM
Cry baby

Well yeah. I kinda wish I had one, just in case you know.

olevetonahill
5/14/2008, 07:37 AM
Well yeah. I kinda wish I had one, just in case you know.

You just wanta be Cool like all the rest of us Big kids :D

5/14/2008, 07:57 AM
Mine is on my right.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/zebthethird/eddypox.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/14/2008, 08:05 AM
That scene in John Adams where they this was hard to watch. That stuff was bad.

Wait...that was before 1796.

I no longer consider HBO's John Adams a historical document.

:mack:

5/14/2008, 08:07 AM
Dang, that dude lying in his bed looks ROUGH! I can't imagine that was pleasant to go through.

Okla-homey
5/14/2008, 08:12 AM

good point. That scene was depicted as having occurred while JA was in Europe drumming up support for our revolution. He made one trip in 1775 and another in 1779. Thus, Abigail could not have vaccinated the kiddoes while John was dancing the minuet with froggies.

hbpwn3d by BSG!

SoonerInKCMO
5/14/2008, 09:41 AM
I'm 38 and I don't have one of them vaccination scars. :(

soonerboomer93
5/14/2008, 10:11 AM
um, 'cause you were born after 1970

actually, i know some females from asia younger then me that have the vaccination scars though

SoonerInKCMO
5/14/2008, 10:24 AM
um, 'cause you were born after 1970

Your math skills need some work. ;)

soonerboomer93
5/14/2008, 10:29 AM
naw, it's my reading comprehension skills

i fail at it today

it's atleast the 4th time i've done something like that in the past couple hours...

RedStripe
5/14/2008, 10:58 AM
good point. That scene was depicted as having occurred while JA was in Europe drumming up support for our revolution. He made one trip in 1775 and another in 1779. Thus, Abigail could not have vaccinated the kiddoes while John was dancing the minuet with froggies.

hbpwn3d by BSG!

His wife and kids were given smallpox not cowpox, remember they scrapped it off the dude in the wagon, cut their arms and rubbed it in.

soonerscuba
5/14/2008, 11:23 AM
I remember when we eradicated smallpox, we are so much worse off. The debbil and Jenny McCarthy says vaccines is bad, so screw them scientists with their silly knowledge, facts, stats, and backing of the medical community, they're just shills, only Jenny McCarthy can lead us to real truth. ;) (that's a good pot stirring).

Pricetag
5/14/2008, 12:02 PM
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8098/jjjjs3201002ibq4.jpg

I'm thinking the dude in the lower right corner has it the worst.

SoonerJack
5/14/2008, 12:27 PM
I remember when we eradicated smallpox, we are so much worse off. The debbil and Jenny McCarthy says vaccines is bad, so screw them scientists with their silly knowledge, facts, stats, and backing of the medical community, they're just shills, only Jenny McCarthy can lead us to real truth. ;) (that's a good pot stirring).

Hey, if Jenny McCarthy tells me to do somethin' I will dutifully obey.

"Yes, Miss McCarthy, I'd like another." ;)

stoopified
5/14/2008, 12:55 PM
Damn,my gues was a circumcision scar. :D I have the inoculation scar too.

BigRedJed
5/14/2008, 05:27 PM

Heh. I thought the same thing when I read the thread.

:les: DAMN YOU HBO!!!

Oh, and left arm for me, too.

Turd_Ferguson
5/14/2008, 05:37 PM
I'm 40!!![hairGel] and I don't got one:(

Rogue
5/15/2008, 05:32 AM
Those of you that have 'em, do you have the "bullseye" looking scars?
Like a circle with a dot in the middle? Must have been about 30 different shots. :eek:

Okla-homey
5/15/2008, 06:00 AM
Corrected!
Additional - but entirely useless - information:
The root of "vaccination" is "vacca" which is Latin for cow. In the Hispanic world, a cowboy is a "vaquero" which Anglo tongues easily corrupted to "buckaroo."

sooo, Vacaville, CA (near "Sackatomatos" CA) would literally be translated..."cowtown?" Nice!