Ash
5/13/2008, 07:41 PM
14 counts of perjury and obstruction

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3394878

Think any team will pick him up now?

Ash
5/13/2008, 09:42 PM
Clemens is next.

It'll be funny to see Clemens try to stare down a federal prosecutor. He better hope his Republican yes-men on the hill can pull some major strings to get his *** out of this sling.

Rogue
5/14/2008, 08:49 PM
While federal prosecutors tripled the number of charges against Bonds, he faces the same amount of prison time he did under the original indictment.

Legal experts said given Bonds' clean criminal record and the nature of the charges, the home run king faces up to 2½ years in prison if convicted of all 14 counts of making false declarations to a grand jury and one count of obstruction of justice. If Bonds is convicted of all counts, he is expected to be sentenced to serve the prison term of each charge concurrently rather than consecutively.

I have a hard time with this. The guy lied about, essentially, a victimless "crime." Perjury is bad, I understand that. But are we really safer or is this multimillionaire really deterred from doing it again? WTF?

War on drugs - 1
Common sense - 0

Rogue
5/14/2008, 08:50 PM
That said, I guess this could be a white collar "unfair business practice." But rising to the level of imprisonment? I think not.

Curly Bill
5/14/2008, 08:54 PM
That said, I guess this could be a white collar "unfair business practice." But rising to the level of imprisonment? I think not.

Can we at least give him a swift kick to his shrivelled-up nuts? :D

Disclaimer: I have zero firsthand knowledge of his nuts being shrivelled. I only assume that with him having been on roids that it is the case.

Rogue
5/14/2008, 08:57 PM
I think the Pete Rose bane-ing would sufficiently shame him. No use spending tax dollars.

Curly Bill
5/14/2008, 09:01 PM
I think the Pete Rose bane-ing would sufficiently shame him. No use spending tax dollars.

Can we have Bonds and Pete in a steel-cage death match? I think Pete would kick his arse.

Rogue
5/14/2008, 09:17 PM
I think Pete would kick his arse.

It'd depend on the odds. He'd take a dive in the 1st round for the right bet.
And then Specter would launch another probe. :D

Curly Bill
5/14/2008, 09:21 PM
Specter would launch another probe. :D

Why did this make me laugh?

Scott D
5/14/2008, 11:08 PM
This is about as stupid as Specter's circus. Same stupid charges, just broken down into individual counts.

olevetonahill
5/21/2008, 12:01 AM
What the Hell would have happened to him, If he had just told the truff?

Scott D
5/21/2008, 10:14 AM
he'd have still ended up on the charges of tax evasion.

soonermix
5/21/2008, 11:16 AM
14 counts of perjury and obstruction

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3394878

Think any team will pick him up now?

good throw the book at him.