PDA

View Full Version : Perkins Cafe is teh suck

soonerloyal
5/13/2008, 06:33 PM
So the hubby and I go for dinner to help spend his travel dinner $$. We decide on Perkins because 1) it's right off the highway near the house, 2) I really liked the shrimp garlic cream pasta dinner with asparagus the first time we ate there, and 3) it's always hilarious to watch the Florida seniors out on the town for the Early Bird Specials (yeah, I know I'm only a few years away from it myself, but it's still funny as hell to see the outfits and watch them jockey for the best tables).

Any hoo - we're disapointed to find that my favorite dish was only a limited-time special, so I scan the menu in search of a suitable substitute. The Salmon Dill Pasta wasn't it, so I decided on the Chicken-fried Steak. The menu said it came with country gravy and two sides. Having been fooled before by Yankee cooking that said "country" and meant brown in the gravy vein, I doublechecked with the waitress who assured me the gravy was indeed cream.

Big mistake. HUGE.

That there sucker came smothered in white gravy, and I proceeded to dig in, daintily, of course, I'm a Southern Lady. That fact and the resultant polite upbringing was the only thing that kept me from spitting the whole mouthful across the dining room in shock and disgust.

That gravy was chock-full o' spicy pork sausage chunks.

Oh. My. Gawd. Pork sausage gravy on CHICKEN FRIED STEAK. Who do these sorry excuses for cooks think they are? What color is the sky in their world where they reside, that adding pork to a steak isn't a crime? Hubby takes my apoplectic reaction as an opportunity to inform me that he ate meatloaf at Perkins before, and it was beef mixed with ground pork. If I'd known these people were too twisted for color teevee, I'd have opted for Bob Evans and still had a good seat for the four-o'clock over-55 floor show.

I ask you, was I wrong to have been surprised by hunks of creamed Jimmy Dean over my whole plate? Is theirs a pi**poor Yankee imitation of a Southern classic?

Man, I'm gonna be belching sausage fumes all night long. I hope the take out banana cream pie doesn't contain sardines.

My tastebuds are on the injured list...

Signed,
soonerloyal aka Disgusted in Davenport
:mad:

tommieharris91
5/13/2008, 07:06 PM
So... there was no chicken fried bacon?

Sooner_Havok
5/13/2008, 07:08 PM
So... there was no chicken fried bacon?
You had to bring that back up, didn't you? :P

KC//CRIMSON
5/13/2008, 07:31 PM
Perkins Cafe is teh suck

Good pies. Crap food.

bluedogok
5/13/2008, 09:01 PM
Well, whadda ya expect from a restaurant whose parent company is The Restaurant Company of Minnesota, that is about the same as going to a Texas Roadhouse owned by idiots in Indiana for BBQ.

Perkins, a decent breakfast place but makes Denny's look like gourmet for dinner.

GottaHavePride
5/13/2008, 10:13 PM
Chicken Fried Steak gravy should, ideally, be made from the leavin's in the cast-iron pan in which the aforemention steak was fried.

Pork sausage is right out.

Meatloaf made from beef and pork? I can't see the point in that. Now, beef and lamb would be acceptable. Pork and veal would make some good sausages. But beef and pork? Meh.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/14/2008, 01:02 AM
This isn't as bad as the Ultimate Grilled Cheese at Autograph's at Riverwind. The DAMM thing has bacon on it. If a grilled cheese has bacon on it..doesn't that make it a Bacon Sandwich?

yermom
5/14/2008, 01:08 AM
mmm...bacon sandwich...

Phil
5/14/2008, 12:34 PM
This isn't as bad as the Ultimate Grilled Cheese at Autograph's at Riverwind. The DAMM thing has bacon on it. If a grilled cheese has bacon on it..doesn't that make it a Bacon Sandwich?

I always get my Sonic grilled cheese with bacon on it.