PDA

View Full Version : If Not OU, Then Who?

r5TPsooner
5/13/2008, 09:25 AM
Vote pigskin fans.

Stubles, heh.

Ash
5/13/2008, 09:33 AM
Mike Leach FTW! :D

soonermix
5/13/2008, 09:59 AM
all the rumors point to tech being able to play defense. if that is the case then they will be a formidable foe.

royalfan5
5/13/2008, 10:10 AM
I'll be honest, it would be killer to see Mike Leach on a big stage.

soonermix
5/13/2008, 10:19 AM
I'll be honest, it would be killer to see Mike Leach on a big stage.

i would love to see ol' leach in the fiesta bowl this year.... right before we play in the orange. :D

King Crimson
5/13/2008, 10:54 AM
maybe, but we get Tech at home this year. at pokie state and at Kyle worry me more.

Sco
5/13/2008, 04:41 PM
Okay, really, who's going for baaaaayyyyylooooooorrrr BEAR CLAW?

badger
5/13/2008, 05:23 PM
What, is Baylor not good enough to have some possible make funery of it?

I chose TCEH, because TCEH is just funny. If TCEH's football were at any other major school, TCEH would sell out games from the highpowered TCEH offense alone and TCEH receiver Crabby would be a Heisman front runner. However, since TCEH is at TCEH and they are Sand Aggies in the middle of nowhere, prepare for media lockouts after Monday, half empty stadiums and lots of points up until the final tick on the TCEH clock. gooooooooooooooo raiders.

Eielson
5/13/2008, 05:30 PM
all the rumors point to tech being able to play defense.

We all know that's a lie.

NYC Poke
5/13/2008, 05:38 PM
We all know that's a lie.

I read somewhere that after replacing their DC, their defense was statistically the best in the Big XII. I don't know if that's true, but they certainly improved toward the end of the season. Their D returns 8 starters and they picked up some JUCO guys that are supposedly beasts.

Tech is for real this year. I'd rank 'em ahead of UT in a preseason ranking. I think their season comes down to how well they fare in Norman.

olevetonahill
5/13/2008, 05:43 PM

so far 4 of us :P
mizzOUstu702, olevetonahill, stoops the eternal pimp, TheUnnamedSooner
I think Its just as Probablr fer baylor to win as It is fer OU to Muff .

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2008, 05:43 PM

Me...

olevetonahill
5/13/2008, 05:46 PM
Me...

Heh

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2008, 05:47 PM
Heh

Him too....

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2008, 05:53 PM
Bottom line...TT will never have a good defense going against that offense....never...after they get finished the NAIA schools in September, and they settle into the conference they will be the same TT they have been for the last 8 years....their offense does not allow them to have a good D

Sco
5/13/2008, 07:51 PM
Me...

For shame....:kelvin:

JLEW1818
5/13/2008, 08:15 PM
Tech would win it, no questions asked.

A Sooner in Texas
5/13/2008, 09:00 PM
The leachsters get my vote, even though we know there's no way in purgatory OU WON'T win the B12. :D
And even though if TT does make a serious run I'll have to live with the two recent TT grads in my office - especially one of our sportswriters who is truly obnoxious about it. He's a cool guy but we do butt heads when it comes to college football. :)
If not OU, then TT.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2008, 09:12 PM
oh definitely questions would be asked

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2008, 09:22 PM
BTW...spek for all the baylor voters..post in this thread so I dont have to look for ya

King Crimson
5/13/2008, 09:37 PM
i say it still comes down to the 2nd weekend in October.

and Texas still sucks.

goingoneight
5/13/2008, 09:54 PM
It's going to be very tough for OSU to replace the Heisman winnars in Adrius Bowman and Bobby Reid who are tearing it up in the NFL as we speak. In such case, I choose Taco Tceh.

Eielson
5/13/2008, 10:44 PM
I read somewhere that after replacing their DC, their defense was statistically the best in the Big XII. I don't know if that's true, but they certainly improved toward the end of the season. Their D returns 8 starters and they picked up some JUCO guys that are supposedly beasts.

Tech is for real this year. I'd rank 'em ahead of UT in a preseason ranking. I think their season comes down to how well they fare in Norman.

We get the same thing every year out of Tech. I don't think anything is going to change. I'm going to have to be proven wrong with my eyes, not my ears.

Vegas Sooner
5/13/2008, 10:49 PM
...do we need to make nicknames for every team but Baylor?

NYC Poke
5/13/2008, 10:51 PM
We get the same thing every year out of Tech. I don't think anything is going to change. I'm going to have to be proven wrong with my eyes, not my ears.

You usually here people pimping their offense in the off-season. We've certainly heard that this year, since they're returning 10 starters on O, including Harrell and Crabtree. They're returning 8 on D, plus their JUCO adds.

Meh. Talk is talk. Somebody start a new poll: Who's ready for football season?

olevetonahill
5/14/2008, 12:57 AM
You usually here people pimping their offense in the off-season. We've certainly heard that this year, since they're returning 10 starters on O, including Harrell and Crabtree. They're returning 8 on D, plus their JUCO adds.

There Is a Reason That you NYC Poke has More Spek than alot Of Sooner nOObs
I dont Think Ive ever seen a post where you were Smackin On OU , Unless It was In a VERY friendly manner , Ya take the Sheep humpin Like a Man , Better than gundy anyway .
Keep up the Good Posts

Eielson
5/14/2008, 09:13 AM

Last year they had those players and they weren't good enough. They may return most of those players but it doesn't mean they will be good enough this year, either. I can't see putting them ahead of Texas.

JLEW1818
5/14/2008, 12:16 PM
I can see tech ahead of texas, Texas lost there BEST 2 PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eielson
5/14/2008, 02:07 PM
I can see tech ahead of texas, Texas lost there BEST 2 PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH REALLY?!?!??!?!!?!?!!!!!!!!!

JLEW1818
5/14/2008, 02:11 PM
I would think that jamal charles, and Limas sweed are big loses. I know that UT did win the national championship the year after benson and johnson left. However, there team was still stacked with returning players.... vince young. And I just see tech beating texas this year. But who knows tech might screw their season up like always somehow someway.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/14/2008, 04:41 PM
seeing as sweed played only 6 games last season, they should be used to playing without him by now.....

NYC Poke
5/14/2008, 04:47 PM
Last year they had those players and they weren't good enough. They may return most of those players but it doesn't mean they will be good enough this year, either. I can't see putting them ahead of Texas.

The thing that killed UT last year was that Colt McCoy didn't play as well as he did his freshman year, and the reason he didn't play like he did his freshman year is because of his O-line. They'll be a lot more experienced up front this year and I look for McCoy to have another good season.

JLEW1818
5/14/2008, 05:09 PM
The thing that killed UT last year was that Colt McCoy didn't play as well as he did his freshman year, and the reason he didn't play like he did his freshman year is because of his O-line. They'll be a lot more experienced up front this year and I look for McCoy to have another good season.

So why is UT better then Tech.. in your words

NYC Poke
5/14/2008, 05:12 PM

I think Tech will be better than UT.

badger
5/14/2008, 05:16 PM
I'm terrible at wording polls, but NP and I once had a debate about which team we should kick out of the Big 12 in favor of recruiting a better market team that would contribute more to the conference.

It would be easy to kick ISU to the curb, since they're so far north, but perhaps they could be the ticket to expanding northbound.

It would be a priority to keep UT and Mizzou, not only because they've been fun rivals recently in football, but also because these are important markets to retain.

However, there are some dead weight teams that have pretty much no value whatsoever that could be released immediately. For example, Tech (or TCEH, whatever). Sure, they're good for screwing up other team's national championship drives every single year, but what have they contributed to the conference? Sheryl Swoopes? Bobby Knight? Eyes full of sand?

NYC Poke
5/14/2008, 05:21 PM
Uh oh, I think I see where this is heading . . .

badger
5/14/2008, 09:36 PM
Uh oh, I think I see where this is heading . . .

:D Your instincts serve you well, young jedi.

Sco
5/14/2008, 10:07 PM
I'm terrible at wording polls, but NP and I once had a debate about which team we should kick out of the Big 12 in favor of recruiting a better market team that would contribute more to the conference.

It would be easy to kick ISU to the curb, since they're so far north, but perhaps they could be the ticket to expanding northbound.

It would be a priority to keep UT and Mizzou, not only because they've been fun rivals recently in football, but also because these are important markets to retain.

However, there are some dead weight teams that have pretty much no value whatsoever that could be released immediately. For example, Tech (or TCEH, whatever). Sure, they're good for screwing up other team's national championship drives every single year, but what have they contributed to the conference? Sheryl Swoopes? Bobby Knight? Eyes full of sand?

I'm not trying to hijack this thread and steer it towards tangent land, but...

Trade Baylor for TCU.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/14/2008, 10:21 PM
I love Baylor...Leave them alone

SoonerInLubbock
5/15/2008, 10:52 PM
I live in Lubbock. I truely dislike the "typical Tech Fan".
Mike Leach he's okay, but the fans have taken all the respect I had to offer. Crash and burn sand aggies!!! CRASH AND BURN!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not bitter though,lol.

goingoneight
5/15/2008, 11:24 PM
Tech goes 10-0, Gameday Crew coems to Norman and Slingin' Sammy throws 5 TDs for the third game in a row in a mad revenge game en-route to 12-0 regular season record. Injury-depleted and humbled Tceh finishes 10-1 season with a shocking loss to the Cellar Bears... but still goes to the Fiasco Bole. :D

You heard it first.

Man, this bullsh!ttin' is fun.

SoonerInLubbock
5/15/2008, 11:29 PM
"Slingin Sammy" Haha I love it.

JLEW1818
5/16/2008, 02:33 AM
Tech goes 10-0, Gameday Crew coems to Norman and Slingin' Sammy throws 5 TDs for the third game in a row in a mad revenge game en-route to 12-0 regular season record. Injury-depleted and humbled Tceh finishes 10-1 season with a shocking loss to the Cellar Bears... but still goes to the Fiasco Bole. :D

You heard it first.

Man, this bullsh!ttin' is fun.

oh man that would be amazing. Tech knows that they did not truly beat us last year. I don't care what leach says, deep down in his heart he knows it was not a real win..... Bradford injury!

KantoSooner
5/16/2008, 10:01 AM
And you forgot that our secondary do some piratin' of their own and rob the Leachites of 4 passes.

deweydw
5/16/2008, 11:11 AM
I am unable to vote in this poll.

1. It's not in me to vote for any other team. If I did, I would feel sooo dirty.

2. It's blasphemy to even consider OU not winning the B12 south. Much less, the B12 championship.

Sammy's got a season under his belt. Just about everyone is back. No stumbling this year.

BOOMER!!

starrca23
5/16/2008, 11:24 AM
If not OU...who cares?

JLEW1818
5/16/2008, 12:23 PM
The thing I like is that every game we play this year we are favored. Yes that could also be a bad thing. But really think about that, how many teams can say they are the favorite for every game? No excuses we have to win every game to get in, because of us being favored so much.

Eielson
5/17/2008, 11:11 PM

Texas is just always bigger, stronger, and faster than Tech. Sometimes I guess Tech might be a little faster but it's because they have 7 wide recievers on the field.

JLEW1818
5/18/2008, 01:30 AM
ya i hear ya, but I see tech pulling a 02-03 Cliff Kingsbury campaign on the short horns this year.

Eielson
5/18/2008, 10:51 AM
ya i hear ya, but I see tech pulling a 02-03 Cliff Kingsbury campaign on the short horns this year.

That year they lost to OU 60-15. They also got their butts kicked by by Ohio State and Colorado, Lost a close one to NC State, and lost by 14 to Iowa State. That's a 5 loss season, I don't care if they beat a bunch of Texas teams.

r5TPsooner
5/18/2008, 12:35 PM
If not OU...who cares?

Well, it is the "off" season and this is a message board, so I figured a civilized discussion about other possibilities and other people's thoughts would be interesting, pertaining to other schools.

Obviously your thoughts are pretty narrow on the subject.

JLEW1818
5/18/2008, 12:45 PM
That year they lost to OU 60-15. They also got their butts kicked by by Ohio State and Colorado, Lost a close one to NC State, and lost by 14 to Iowa State. That's a 5 loss season, I don't care if they beat a bunch of Texas teams.

Yes I understand that, okay in other words THERE GOING TO BEAT TEXAS LIKE THEY DID FOR THE LAST TIME BACK IN 2002-2003 OKAY? Tech will be a 10 win team, and fall short of the big 12 championship.... kinda like Georgia did last year. But still will get a BCS bowl bid because the voters want to see a "passing fun team" to play on prime time. And don't even say Hawaii because Tech would have annihilated Hawaii last year.

ousoonerfan
5/21/2008, 10:45 AM
Pirates!

soonerfan28
5/21/2008, 11:41 AM
Let me know when Tech's D show's up and I'll vote for them.

r5TPsooner
5/22/2008, 10:49 AM
No one picked Boones Farm State?

The only thing left for him to buy is a championship.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/22/2008, 10:54 AM
kinda like
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/bergmanrocks/growingup/MillionDollarMan.jpg

r5TPsooner
5/22/2008, 11:04 AM
LOL!

badger
5/22/2008, 11:05 AM
it IS kind of funny nobody picked the Pokes.

however, if anything is certain in sports, its that you cannot buy a championship.

Rich Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen bought the Trailblazers. He spent tons of money on them and their facilities, pouring his heart into the team. No championships, years later.

Rich Broadcast.com founder Mark Cuban buys everything for his new toy, the Dallas Mavericks. Often considered perennial lottery regulars, the Mavs have made it to the playoffs and even the finals. Despite buying everything the Mavs could ever want, he could not buy a championship.

I don't know who the current Washington Redskins owner is, but he took a Mark Cuban-like approach to the Skins. He brought in a legendary coach, he brought in talent like Deion Sanders. He has yet to come close to a championship.

So, the age old question: What do you give a guy that can buy everything in the world? Answer: A championship.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/22/2008, 11:24 AM
Daniel Snyder is the Redskins owner/destroyer

r5TPsooner
5/26/2008, 08:45 AM
It'll be interesting to see the changes at A&M this year.

NYC Poke
5/26/2008, 02:28 PM
This seems to echo many of the thoughts expressed here.

6. Given its history, can Texas Tech be counted on to truly contend in the Big 12 South? Texas Tech has a lot going for it this season. The Red Raiders, as usual, will have one of the best offenses in the nation. In QB Graham Harrell and WR Michael Crabtree, they have the best pass-catch combination.

The non-conference schedule is a joke. In conference, the Red Raiders don't play Missouri and they get Texas at home.

There even are rumblings that the defense will be OK, as well. Tech finished third in the Big 12 in total defense and added some junior college transfers who are expected to make an immediate impact.

Still, Tech doesn't exactly have a rich history of contending for titles in the Big 12 South. In the 12-year history of the league, Tech has finished as high as second in the division four times (the Red Raiders have finished alone in second once) and there has been just one second-place finish this decade.

It's doubtful Tech can win the South – Oklahoma looks too strong – but given that Texas has to go to Lubbock and that Tech may have fewer holes than the Longhorns, this is as good a season as any to pick Tech to finish second in the division.

Rest of the article here: http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=811085