PDA

View Full Version : Since it is the offseason....

royalfan5
5/12/2008, 10:50 AM
I've decided to start a thread dedicated to things that would improve and/or make the college game more interesting.

My first proposal. If a D-1A team schedules a 1AA team, it must be played according to Canadian Football Rules.

My Second Proposal. If a coach accuses another coach of running up the score, the coaches shall have to engage in an old style duel at ten paces after the game.

My third proposal: Allow the booster of every school the ability play up to 10 recruits every year with cash. The is no spending limit, but you can't go over ten in any given year.

I'll think of some more as the day goes on.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2008, 10:53 AM
Halftime shows should involve MMA style fighting from 2 randomly drawn fans from each team

soonermix
5/12/2008, 11:01 AM
ban dude cheerleaders

royalfan5
5/12/2008, 12:26 PM
My fourth proposal: If you have artifical turf, it must be your schools primary color. The exception to this is Alabama. They should have to get houndstooth turf.

soonerinabilene
5/12/2008, 12:32 PM
any announcers that mention Notre Dame or USC during a game that does not feature either of those teams gets kicked in the nuts by a pack mule on live tv.

royalfan5
5/12/2008, 12:39 PM
any announcers that mention Notre Dame or USC during a game that does not feature either of those teams gets kicked in the nuts by a pack mule on live tv.

That's a good idea. There should also be an alternate broadcast feed with a fan from each team calling the game as an alternative to the regular hacks.

soonermix
5/12/2008, 01:25 PM
have an "A" team that plays in the fall and a "B" team that plays in the spring

SbOrOiNaEnR
5/12/2008, 02:03 PM
If the game is being televised by ABC, upon entering the stadium all fans are given a fifth of bourbon and a pair of headphones with the ABC audio feed in the cans. Throughout the game, following the rules of the Brent Musburger Drinking Game (http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/005660.php) shall be mandatory for all fans.

royalfan5
5/12/2008, 02:06 PM
To make special teams plays more interesting, Kickers and punters are allowed to carry police grade tasers to assist in stopping a return. Just think about how awesome it would be to see a guy get tased on a breakaway kick return.

KantoSooner
5/12/2008, 02:36 PM
A playoff system involving the top 16 teams shall be instituted, with games played every day until the last team standing is declared national champions and utter bad men.

The members of this team will then be issued with flasks of Irish Coffee and given $250 in cash and allowed to rape and pillage the surrounding countryside.

BillyBall
5/12/2008, 02:44 PM
Game can't start until a puppy is sacrificed.

snp
5/12/2008, 02:48 PM
Steroids are mandatory.

soonermix
5/12/2008, 03:35 PM
add points to the score board based on alcohol consumption by fans

KantoSooner
5/12/2008, 03:41 PM

Don't they do this already in the SEC?

RedstickSooner
5/12/2008, 05:10 PM
1) Make it so linemen must play ironman. If you sub for a lineman, the presumption is that the lineman must be injured -- and therefore, he can't return for the rest of the game. Basically make it so each team had 5 ironman players -- and those five had to line up as linemen on offense. (On defense you'd be allowed to line some of them up as LBs if you wanted)

2) Interceptions in the end zone should only come out to the five. It's ridiculous that the defense is rewarded for making a defensive play further in their own territory -- it should always be in their best interest to attempt to return the interception rather than taking a knee.

3) 1-A teams shouldn't be allowed to play 1-AA teams, PERIOD. Make it so everyone schedules a bye week on the same week as a routine matter, somewhere in the middle of the season (could call it "Significant Other Weekend" or perhaps "Yard Chore Weekend", something like that) and two weeks prior to the regular season, any teams which had been unable to put together a full schedule would have their names put in a hat and all draw partners. To punish them for not being able to wipe their own noses, the games would be played at neutral sites halfway (or nearly halfway) between the two participants, so neither team would get an extra home game.

4) Broadcasters would be required to spend at least five minutes of every game showing cheerleaders. Close-up. Without any obnoxious graphics (like boxy sales pitches) to obscure the view. The five minutes wouldn't have to be contiguous, of course, but they *would* have to include at least two continuous shots of 30 seconds or more.

5) Set aside some small portion of the stadium for seated fans -- folks who either think it's ghey to stand for the entire game, or who can't stand, or who are so short that even if they did stand, they wouldn't be able to see a danged thing over the heads of whoever stood in front of them, and designate the rest of the stadium as standing room only. In the standing room only section, replace the benches with cubbys that'd be in front of you to hold your food & drink.

6) Add a ref to the announcing team, to explain calls (since half the time the color commentators seem to have no clue how or why calls are called the way they are). That ref should be the one in charge of replay, so not only would we get explanations on regular calls, we'd also be able to hear what the replay ref was thinking and how he decided what he decided. Not to mention that publicity would mean the replay official would be a lot more certain he got the call right.

7) No more pants for cheerleaders.

8) Teams can no longer claim any national championships prior to the inception of the AP poll, and can't claim any other than those given by the two major polls (AP & whichever was the other major one at the time -- it's been coaches for a while, before then I think it was UPI, wasn't it?)

9) Ban noisemakers in all stadiums. If you can't make the noise by yelling, you're not a real fan.

10) Players must keep receipts for anything they own worth more than $200. (Athletic department would assist by keeping a copy -- the player would just have to turn the receipt in.) Players would have to provide documentation of how they earned whatever it cost to purchase those items, and anything they couldn't prove would be forfeit. Additionally, if a player owned something and you thought the price they paid was bogus, you could buy it from them simply by paying thirty percent more than their receipt claimed they paid. I'm tired of seeing college kids from dirt-poor backgrounds driving nicer cars than I do.

11) Give kids an extra year of eligibility if they declare for the draft and go undrafted, provided they hadn't signed with an agent and/or hadn't received any compensation yet.

KantoSooner
5/12/2008, 05:17 PM
I was right with you up to the point you demanded bottomless cheerleaders.

You just don't get the fact that this was supposed to be light hearted humor. Ridiculous type suggestions.

Not well thought out, serious attempts to improve the viewing experience.

I penalize you one cocktail.

SoonerInKCMO
5/12/2008, 05:30 PM

Badger would finally see her dream of a Wisky MNC come true.

goingoneight
5/13/2008, 12:07 AM
Don't they do this already in the SEC?

No, that's "National Championships."

goingoneight
5/13/2008, 12:56 AM
If you're going to film the crowd, focus on someone who is hawt and not some bearded, toothless, and shirtless moron.

Win your division, win your conference, play for the MNC among the nation's elite and other conference champs. If you should decide to keep the BCS the way it is... then we might as well crown the champion without even playing the game because obviously the pundits already know who's who and who will win what going into the grand finale.

Hecklers who take the liberty of spitting, swinging and throwing stuff are to be placed under center with the ball taped securely to their hands and chased down by Auston English... numerous times.

Sofa-coaches are to spend the game in the press box with a headset and a muzzle so they get a chance to see what it's really like while at the same time are forced to STFU like God intended.

TV announcers are to remind folks on National television just exactly how retarded your teams uniforms and/or colors are. This means you, Mr. Burnt-Orange-Wearer Guy.

Notre Dame is to **** smoothe off if they aren't any better than a two-loss team.

Announcers are to be tasered when they latch onto ridiculous, unmeasurable little catch-phrases like "team speed," "moxy," "swagger," "best in the country," "best ever," "trickeration," and "greatest [insert anything here]."

Officials from the visiting team's home town are to referree the game on the road, and are to be immediately interviewed by the local press following the game regarding their performance as "fair and balanced." They are to exit the stadium from the same exits the home team's fans exit, therefore decreasing even moreso the likelihood that they even think about screwing someone over.

Cameramen who film crying children, players vomiting, nasty-looking injuries that have no business being played over-and-over-and-over again and flame-bait photography such as a yelling coach or an ugly fan are to be identified publicly and interviewed on their ethics as well.

Teams who schedule D1-AA programs should be required to spot them 28 points.

Whoever fired an exciting announcer like Dan Fouts and kept Chris Speilman is to be fired.

Pre-season polls are to be outlawed and polling doesn't start until the second week of November. If you use a playoff, polling doesn't matter until BCS tourney selection Sunday. Only the top eight matter. Top 25 is finalized after the National Championship.

Post-season awards are given after the National Championship game with the exception being All-Conference honors, which is guaged in the regular season and finalized after the conference crown.

Inflated statistics do not an All-American make. If this is true, that makes Cody Hodges a better player than Vince Young. The term "system player" is explained slowly, thoroghly, and multiple times to all of the pundits who cry "unfair."

"Game-breaks" to check up on things like Nascar, baseball, other games and tunnel-entrances to upcoming games to to be removed from broadcast. That's why you have a little thing called a ticker running across the bottom of the broadcast. I don't want to see Chad Henne stretching and Mike Hart high-fiving, I want to see OU run it up on the team they've waited 20 years to run it up on. Hence, I'm watching the 'OU' game, not worrying about poor Big Ten land and Notre Dame.

The ground can and does cause a fumble. Players who hit the ground and just drop the ball will be surprised to find that ball live and quickly going the other way and will wise up not to strech that ball any farther unless they absolutely need that extra inch.

Diving into the endzone is classless when no one is on you. Same goes for flipping, moon-walking and other dumbass antics. Celebrate when you score, Hollywood.

Quarterbacks are not credited with yards after the catch or tipped balls intercepted. If Sam Bradford throws a screen pass to DeMarco Murray and he breaks eight tackles for an 80-yards score, Sam gets the three-yard toss and D-Mu gets the reception, the 77 YAC and the TD (not a serious suggestion, just an interesting thing to think about as Sam might finish the day 23-28 with 104 yards and a score to Gresham in the endzone versus 23-28, 355, 4TD, two tipped INTs). Imagine how statistics would change. :D

soonermix
5/13/2008, 10:18 AM
a) force notre dame to join a conference or not allow them to play 1-a football

b) start the game like the vegas spread is real and spot that team those points.

c) include a noise meter, if the noise goes above a certain level then the ref know they f-ed up and have to reverse the call.

d) have a computer generated play sheet for fans to call some of the plays.

e) replace the halftime show with mud wrestling between the 2 schools cheerleading squads

NormanPride
5/13/2008, 10:22 AM
Hang a tire over the field at the 50, painted in team colors, about 30 feet above the ground. If a team manages to complete a pass through the tire, sirens sound off throughout the stadium. The scoreboard will then flash "FREE BALL MODE" and four more footballs will be entered into play for the series, as well as 5 more players on offense. To give the defense a sporting chance, huddles are illegal as well as having more than 5 people at the line of scrimmage.

NormanPride
5/13/2008, 03:25 PM
C'mon guys, this is the best thread on the front page.

Add a mechanism where the cheerleaders can move the goal posts from side to side. In return, the kicker(s) get three footballs, each equaling one point. More than one person may be a kicker, up to three, and kickers do not count toward the player maximum of eleven, but also cannot participate in fakes. All balls are set on tees, placed anywhere within the tackles. Play starts on referee whistle.

KantoSooner
5/13/2008, 03:39 PM
Unsportsmanlike conduct calls are eliminated.

Instead, a dirty hit results in the guilty player being blindfolded, placed, standing, at the fifty with a football and a selected player from the other team gets a ten yard wind up to 'tackle' him.

royalfan5
5/13/2008, 03:45 PM
Instead of a coin toss to determine possesion at the beginning of the game. Each team selects a player to compete in an "Oklahoma Drill" showdown for the ball.

NormanPride
5/14/2008, 10:08 AM
Ooh, good one...

Introduce sand traps and water hazards.

Hella Sideburns
5/14/2008, 02:32 PM
linebackers get to wear spikes on their shoulder pads.

on every down, there is a special circle, located at a random spot behind the line of scrimmage. If a pass is completed from this circle, the completing team gets an extra ten yards from the end of the play. If the play ends in a touchdown, the completing team gets an extra three points.

royalfan5
5/14/2008, 03:07 PM
If the wind blows the ball of the tee. The kicker must kick it on the ground, and whatever happens, happens.

BillyBall
5/14/2008, 03:19 PM
If a team completes a hook and ladder for a TD, it is no longer counted. :)

JohnnyMack
5/14/2008, 03:22 PM
If a player commits a penalty, he's put in the penalty box.

Holding call on your LT? Gotta play with 4 offensive linemen or move the TE over.

PI call on your CB? Gotta move a safety over to help.

shaun4411
5/14/2008, 04:10 PM
the home team gets a discretionary 5th down once per quarter.

NormanPride
5/14/2008, 05:03 PM
If a player commits a penalty, he's put in the penalty box.

Holding call on your LT? Gotta play with 4 offensive linemen or move the TE over.

PI call on your CB? Gotta move a safety over to help.

I love this.

Revamp overtime: If two teams are tied at the end of regulation, both offenses and defenses are placed at opposing 20 yard lines. The first team to go the length of the field and score, wins.

royalfan5
5/14/2008, 05:05 PM
If playing a poor school from a poor conference, (e.g Idaho, North Texas, Directional Michigan) a heavily favored team's coaching staff must drink one gin and tonic per possesion.

soonermix
5/15/2008, 09:27 AM
all the rules made to protect the quarterback are out but the offense is allowed one extra "body guard" for the quarterback where anything goes

NormanPride
5/15/2008, 09:29 AM
Teams can bet players on the outcome of a game.

JohnnyMack
5/15/2008, 09:33 AM
Everyone plays on Segway scooters.

badger
5/15/2008, 10:04 AM
Badger would finally see her dream of a Wisky MNC come true.

For the record, Wisconsin has come close on several occasions. (cue David Boren voiceover)

Boren: Did you know that Oklahoma has more national merit scholars than any other public university in state history?

WHOOPS! Wrong tape. HERE is the correct one...

Boren: Did you know that legendary Wisconsin running back Ron Dayne won the Heisman after setting the all-time NCAA record for rushing yards, only year after Texas running back Ricky Williams also set the record and won the Heisman?

Badger: Wow, President Boren, I did know that, but I wonder how many Sooner fans knew that, and if they did, I wonder how much they would appreciate the badgers for taking away Texas' few moments of glory?

Boren: Did you know Wisconsin's football team went to the Rose Bowl three times under former coach and current athletic director Barry Alvarez, winning all three times?

Badger: That's great, President Boren, and I also knew that, but perhaps Sooner fans would appreciate that it Alvarez turned down Oklahoma hated rival Miami and also Big 12 rival Nebraska, his own alma mater, to stay out of OU's way and at Wisconsin?

Boren: Did you know that Wisconsin attained top ten rankings each of those three Rose Bowl winning seasons? Entering the games, they were respectively ranked No. 9 in 1994, No. 8 and No. 9 in 1999 and No. 4 in 2000?

Badger: Yeah, but I can't think of anything that the Sooners would can about in those years... oh! But I remember laughing to myself when Barry Alvarez took the gum out of his mouth and threw it to the ground because of awful officiating! After all, we were in Pac 10 country! *wink wink*

Boren: Did you know...

Badger: Ok, enough on Wisconsin history. I think the important part is that we all realize how cool the Badgers really are and that they'll never be a national threat to the Sooners, so it is ok to laugh when they upset some Big 10 "powerhouses." Feel free to laugh, because we all know there are no Big 10 powerhouses.

Boren: Did you know there are no Big 10 powerhouses?

Badger: Yes, President Boren. Also, anytime Wisconsin obtains a high ranking like they did, for example, last season, keep in mind that Wisconsin always has in inevitable meltdown versus a team you don't expect them to lose to. Therefore, no need to trash the badgers on here for threatening OU's title hopes and dreams, because people, it ain't happening.

:D

KantoSooner
5/15/2008, 10:48 AM
But the Badgers DO have the coolest war cry: "E*ck 'em Bucky!"