PDA

View Full Version : Buckeyes rise to No. 1 in updated Top 25

JLEW1818
5/12/2008, 09:51 AM
By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com
(Archive)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3388100

4 big 12 teams ranked in top 11, 3 big 12 south. Tech sits at a interesting number 11.

NormanPride
5/12/2008, 10:05 AM
I hope they're in the top 10 when we crush their dreams at home. And I hope the refs call a completely one sided game in our favor. Jackasses.

Oh, and OSU will be fat, slow, and undefeated again. Another embarrassing loss in the NC this year? Or will the pollsters finally figure out that even the MAC is a better conference than the Big 10?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2008, 10:07 AM
Tech is playing good D right now

colleyvillesooner
5/12/2008, 10:48 AM
in May?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2008, 10:51 AM
They play good D from Feb until the end of August...

colleyvillesooner
5/12/2008, 11:21 AM
Nah, end of September with that cream puff non conference schedule. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/12/2008, 11:32 AM
I dunno...I heard they have Kiamichi Vo Tech on the schedule this year and they have a 5th year senior at QB who majors in small appliance repair who is supposedly pretty good

sooner94
5/12/2008, 06:09 PM
"It's all about what's up front for the Sooners. Oklahoma has the country's top offensive line, led by Duke Robinson and Phil Loadholt, and one of the better defensive lines in the Big 12. With coach Bob Stoops switching to a no-huddle offense, the Sooners could be even more explosive than last season, when they led Division I-A with 80 touchdowns. Oklahoma doesn't have to play Missouri and gets Kansas and Texas Tech at home."

I have been working too much lately, but how in the hell did I miss this? Is this true?

colleyvillesooner
5/12/2008, 06:27 PM
Yes, cruise the FB board for a few threads.

shaun4411
5/12/2008, 06:38 PM
i wonder how long it'll take for the top 25 to be shook up as it is now. an hour into the season?

sooner94
5/12/2008, 06:56 PM
Yes, cruise the FB board for a few threads.

Thanks for not giving me a "Japan Bombs Pearl Harbor" on that one.:)

Sooner_Havok
5/12/2008, 07:25 PM
I hope they're in the top 10 when we crush their dreams at home. And I hope the refs call a completely one sided game in our favor. Jackasses.

Oh, and OSU will be fat, slow, and undefeated again. Another embarrassing loss in the NC this year? Or will the pollsters finally figure out that even the MAC is a better conference than the Big 10?

You might want to bite your tongue on the "Another embarrassing loss in the NC this year" thing.:(

JLEW1818
5/12/2008, 07:56 PM
I hear ya NormanPride. I can see Ohio State and Georgia losing before we do. I personally think if we lose a game it will be in the big 12 championship or national championship.
Everybody prepare because I’m calling a rematch of 2004-2005

SOONERS VS TROJANS

JLEW1818
5/12/2008, 07:57 PM
Somebody please keep record of my prediction !!!

OU-HSV
5/12/2008, 08:38 PM
"It's all about what's up front for the Sooners. Oklahoma has the country's top offensive line, led by Duke Robinson and Phil Loadholt, and one of the better defensive lines in the Big 12. With coach Bob Stoops switching to a no-huddle offense, the Sooners could be even more explosive than last season, when they led Division I-A with 80 touchdowns. Oklahoma doesn't have to play Missouri and gets Kansas and Texas Tech at home."

I have been working too much lately, but how in the hell did I miss this? Is this true?

From what I've read and heard it's not true that we're switching to a complete no huddle scheme...however the coaches have even spoke of the no huddle offense playing a role in our offensive strategy this year and I believe it was shown some in our Spring game if I'm not mistaken. I like the idea of it as long as our O-line can play disciplined.

Vegas Sooner
5/12/2008, 09:32 PM
I hear ya NormanPride. I can see Ohio State and Georgia losing before we do. I personally think if we lose a game it will be in the big 12 championship or national championship.

SOONERS VS TROJANS

noted.

goingoneight
5/13/2008, 12:04 AM
Until I see us 12-0, I'm not sold on us in Miami for the New Year. We have lots of question marks, lots of guys on 'IR' right now and a schedule that's too tricky. It looks like a cakewalk to many... but look at this:

Cincinatti coming off a 10-win season = trap game potential. I feel we're better, but they'll definitely be better up to the challenge than say... TCU was IMHO. TCU score 17 points IN NORMAN and beat us. TCU went on to 11-0, but let's not forget how painfully mediocre they looked, they were shocked more than we were to have won that game and UC is going to get us right after OUr little cakewalk with UT-Chatanooga.

TCU... duh... you would think Stoops and Co., especially this senior class that lost to them back in '05 will be ready to run it up on them, but sometimes a team just has your number. I can't tell you how Texas lost to that craptacular K-State team last year IN AUSTIN by as much as they did.

Did I mention Texas? RRS? That craptacular Texas team took us down to the wire last year long before we had any major injuries or players missing. They'll likely be pretty good as usual and it is still the RRS where anything can happen.

Then you have defending Orange Bowl Champion... KANSAS. Did you ever think in a hundred years you'd see that? In Norman, you'd think it will be a W, but it's not your Daddy's Kansas team.

K-State, as stated above, has a way with playing games like this well oddly enough, and they get us in Manhattan. If we lost at Boulder, we can certainly lose here.

Nebraska... I just don't see it going in the Husker favor... but Les Miles pulled it off, and I truly believe Pelini will be better equipped, leading a team that despises Sooner into Nompton. 95/5, OU... but even Baylor has played well in Norman against us before.

A&M and OSU on the road... enough said there.

Then you have a Tech team that could be as good as 9-1 or 10-0 when they arrive in Norman. Home field is a good thing, but Tceh should have their best team yet under Leach this fall and we all saw what happens when we lose a good player against them last year.

They're all "winnable" and the betting man in me would favor us in every one on paper... but that's an awful lot of trap games. Let's hope for another run like "Red October." Did I mention whoever wins the North will probably be top 10 in the country this year? If we're so blessed to arrive in KC again, that's obviously no walk in the park.

Bowl game? Do we need to even go there right now?

I agree that there will be 11-12 W's listed on pre-season mags for us with probably only one *... but that doesn't mean we've overcome the hiccup factor just yet.

oupride
5/13/2008, 08:18 AM
eh, I am not going to get worked over it. I will wait until October. Thanks for the post.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2008, 08:19 AM
i love polls that come out 4 months before the first game

NormanPride
5/13/2008, 10:03 AM
If our offense's consistency improves, we should be just fine. Our D held its own in the regular season without too many problems (Tech first half, Texas first half) but our O was hideous on the road, and struggled to be consistent with the better defensive teams.

Oh, can't forget our kicking game. Lord, please grant us one great kicker for this season. Amen.

IronHorseSooner
5/13/2008, 11:42 AM
I work with a KSTATE guy here, and I continually tell him that the game that scares the bejesus out of me is the game against them. He always asks why, and I tell him to watch video of our CU and ISU games last year...As far as Cincy goes, they lost their 5th-year senior QB- Mauk. They will be good, but they don't have the offense to keep up. They are a good defensive team...Washington's QB, Locker, is the only guy who scares me on that team because he's a dual threat QB; however, tOSU went in there last year and absolutely thumped them. They are a team that if you go hit 'em hard early and often, they'll crumble...UTerus will likely have their worst team under Mack next year...KU lost a good bit to graduation and the draft last year...A&M does concern me some, but their defense isn't athletic at all, and if you force them to throw, they are very beatable...lOSUr- see Washington. They have a mobile QB, but if you pound the ball at them, they will fold...Again, the KSTATE game is the one that scares me. They shouldn't even come close to us, and their defense is far worse than CU's last year, but uninspiring efforts on the road against inferior teams will make this a fashionable pick as our only loss of the year.

oupride
5/13/2008, 03:38 PM
..our O was hideous on the road, and struggled to be consistent with the better defensive teams.
:gary: Roger that, NP!

shaun4411
5/13/2008, 05:58 PM

SOONERS VS TROJANS

i dont think that is a far-fetched prediction. usc finished strong and they are gonna win some games this year. theyll definitely win the pac 10. i think there are about 5 teams in the drivers seat this year. there are more, sure, but if all ended up undefeated, the top 5 would be something like this: (in no specific order)

lsu, ohio state (ugh), ou, usc, georgia

soonerloyal
5/13/2008, 06:53 PM
i dont think that is a far-fetched prediction. usc finished strong and they are gonna win some games this year. theyll definitely win the pac 10. i think there are about 5 teams in the drivers seat this year. there are more, sure, but if all ended up undefeated, the top 5 would be something like this: (in no specific order)

lsu, ohio state (ugh), ou, usc, georgia

I'm pretty sure both ohio state and usc can't both be undefeated seeing as how they play each other in their 3rd game.

JLEW1818
5/13/2008, 08:14 PM
LOL nor can lsu and georgia........sec championship??

shaun4411
5/14/2008, 04:14 PM
that's what i get for not looking at the schedule.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/15/2008, 01:07 AM
I'm pretty sure both ohio state and usc can't both be undefeated seeing as how they play each other in their 3rd game.Hello Dawrlin'; I have afriend here in PHX who is a rabid Buckeye fan. he's convinced tOSU will be #1 after beating the suc in Los Angeles, and will CRUISE to the NC game, with the puff Big 10 schedule.

JLEW1818
5/15/2008, 02:45 AM
boomer

soonerfan28
5/18/2008, 05:25 PM
They play in a weak Big 10. They should be the obvious #1. That doesn't mean they are good just good enough for a weak Big 10.

SbOrOiNaEnR
5/18/2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for not giving me a "Japan Bombs Pearl Harbor" on that one.:)

Germany bombed Pearl Harbor. Did you learn nothing from Animal House??

soonerloyal
5/20/2008, 07:10 AM
Hello Dawrlin'; I have afriend here in PHX who is a rabid Buckeye fan. he's convinced tOSU will be #1 after beating the suc in Los Angeles, and will CRUISE to the NC game, with the puff Big 10 schedule.

I hear ya - my cousin suffers from the same malady. That's the trouble with rabies, it turns your brain to mush. Stupid Sooner-born traitor.

Although - now that I think about it, that scenario would be sweet if we were their victorious opponents. That'd really toast my cuz's uh, jewels. Heh.

soonerfan28
5/20/2008, 07:49 AM
It doesn't matter who wins the OSU - USC game. Either way it helps us move up and Georgia won't go undefeated, so we will be at least #2 as long as we don't lose.