PDA

View Full Version : A Pole! Gas Prices - Gouging?

Rogue
5/11/2008, 03:15 PM
Are the oil and gas companies sticking it to us, or not?

:texan:

Melo
5/11/2008, 03:34 PM
All I know is, if I drive no where else, except from my house to work and back every day, I can put $5 in my tank and last almost a week.
:)

Chuck Bao
5/11/2008, 04:03 PM
For my opinion, oil companies are not gouging. It's the market rate.

The unfortunate reality of the thing is that crude prices may further rise to US$150-200/barrel over the next couple of years because of speculation. It is pretty much a no-brainer for international hedge funds to buy stocks and bonds with the best hedge on future economic growth and interest rates being future oil contracts.

Frozen Sooner
5/11/2008, 04:30 PM
For my opinion, oil companies are not gouging. It's the market rate.

The unfortunate reality of the thing is that crude prices may further rise to US$150-200/barrel over the next couple of years because of speculation. It is pretty much a no-brainer for international hedge funds to buy stocks and bonds with the best hedge on future economic growth and interest rates being future oil contracts.

It is not the market rate. It is the rate that futures speculation and oligopolistic practices have led us to.

Chuck Bao
5/11/2008, 04:35 PM
It is not the market rate. It is the rate that futures speculation and oligopolistic practices have led us to.

Ummm...futures market is not a market? Okay, define market then.

Rogue
5/11/2008, 04:48 PM
I should have added another option.
[cartman voice] Screw you guys, I'm buying a hybrid. A hybrid Vespa! [/cartman voice]

olevetonahill
5/11/2008, 05:30 PM
Yall aint so smart
The Olevet gots this figured out
Ive gots a Bikecycle Built fer two.
I sit in the Back with the Natty and the other dude pedals
I WIN

OU-HSV
5/11/2008, 06:04 PM
I think they're trying to catch us up to the rest of the world...however I don't find it too fair to jack it up so fast (relatively speaking), to catch us up.
But as I've said before...it's job security for me :)

r5TPsooner
5/11/2008, 06:26 PM
Capitalism, mmmn.

Frozen Sooner
5/11/2008, 06:34 PM
Ummm...futures market is not a market? Okay, define market then.

1. We're talking about current oil. The futures market is having an effect on the current price of oil. This is raising the price of oil above the market rate for current oil.

2. OPEC's production constraints are raising the price of oil in order to realize monopoly profits. No surprise, that's the whole reason OPEC exists.

r5TPsooner
5/11/2008, 06:43 PM
1. We're talking about current oil. The futures market is having an effect on the current price of oil. This is raising the price of oil above the market rate for current oil.

2. OPEC's production constraints are raising the price of oil in order to realize monopoly profits. No surprise, that's the whole reason OPEC exists.

The fed's interest rate cuts are also a reason behind the increase of oil/gas prices.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/11/2008, 09:04 PM
I think GHP is behind it...somehow

Scott D
5/11/2008, 09:44 PM
Here's what I know. If I get gas at a BP station I pay $x.xx. If I get a BP Visa card, I somehow magically get 36 cents deducted from my per gallon price by using said BP Visa card. So, I come to the conclusion that clearly BP is overcharging customers at least 36 cents per gallon, which means everyone is overcharging at least 36 cents per gallon.

Gas prices right now are why the guy who invented Macro-Economics should have been drawn and quartered.

Ash
5/11/2008, 09:55 PM
Yall aint so smart
I WIN

I've got teh rickshaw with a case and a fifth in the seat in next to me.

:pop:

OUbones
5/12/2008, 12:20 AM
I really don't understand all the b****ing! It's called capitalism people and the sad fact is oil is still probably under valued. Can't you all wait till more Chinese and Indians start driving cars? The next poll should be when is oil gonna hit $200, $300... a barrel.

olevetonahill
5/12/2008, 12:24 AM
I think GHP is behind it...somehow

Ya saying GHPs the Conductor Of this Orchestra ?

olevetonahill
5/12/2008, 12:26 AM
I've got teh rickshaw with a case and a fifth in the seat in next to me.

My Man
If we share a ride Can we Whiskey Pool ?

tommieharris91
5/12/2008, 12:36 AM
I think oil prices these days are the product of a speculative bubble, and this bubble will pop as the US economy comes out of the recession. The Nigerian rebels causing oil prices to rise as much as they do is a huge part of this. They talk about how the loss of .5M bpd is a huge loss, but is it that big of a loss when the world output is 85M bpd? The prices shouldn't rise the way they do because of this.

Frozen Sooner
5/12/2008, 12:41 AM
I think oil prices these days are the product of a speculative bubble, and this bubble will pop as the US economy comes out of the recession. The Nigerian rebels causing oil prices to rise as much as they do is a huge part of this. They talk about how the loss of .5M bpd is a huge loss, but is it that big of a loss when the world output is 85M bpd? The prices shouldn't rise the way they do because of this.

Bingo.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/12/2008, 02:41 AM
http://www.theinformationparadox.com/2008/05/colbert-dissects-oil-companies-gas.html

StormySooner-IN
5/12/2008, 08:55 AM
Yall aint so smart
I WIN

and I LOSE!:mad:

:D

sooneron
5/12/2008, 08:55 AM
US Economy and dollar strengthens- oil will drop to under 100/barrel.

ADs_Agent
5/12/2008, 09:41 AM
All I know is my backside hurts after everytime I fill up.

ADs_Agent
5/12/2008, 11:04 AM

somebodies been reading the Monthly Review ;)

soonerhubs
5/12/2008, 11:47 AM
Well the greedy ********* ********* ******* (Fill in with your favorite profanity) definitely didn't read the news today because gas is still rising after the oil prices retreat. Someone tell me where the ethics are in this? (http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/energy/gold-futures-fall-dollar-rises-oil-prices-weaken/)

sooneron
5/12/2008, 12:46 PM
Well the greedy ********* ********* ******* (Fill in with your favorite profanity) definitely didn't read the news today because gas is still rising after the oil prices retreat. Someone tell me where the ethics are in this? (http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/energy/gold-futures-fall-dollar-rises-oil-prices-weaken/)

When people realize that the bottom line trumps ethics in the corporate world, we'll all be less surprised as this thing plays out.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/12/2008, 12:50 PM
You need another option...

"THA is traveling way too much and too extravagantly and causing gas prices to be jacked up" ;)

Frozen Sooner
5/12/2008, 01:03 PM
somebodies been reading the Monthly Review ;)

Nuh-uh. Don't think I ever have, though no reason why I wouldn't I guess. :D

ADs_Agent
5/12/2008, 01:45 PM
Nuh-uh. Don't think I ever have, though no reason why I wouldn't I guess. :D

Than you must be one of those dudes who is just the dude. There was an article titled Oligopolic(sp?) Capitalism dealing with Oil on there not but last week HA!

Frozen Sooner
5/12/2008, 01:49 PM
No kidding?

Not surprising. I mean, it's hardly a secret that OPEC is a cartel, and it's hardly a secret that they restrain oil production to extract monopoly profits.

mdklatt
5/12/2008, 01:53 PM
When people realize that the bottom line trumps ethics in the corporate world, we'll all be less surprised as this thing plays out.

It's kinda strange that there so many people who try to make moral argument for capitalism when the reason that it works is that it takes advantage of our inherent greed.

sooneron
5/12/2008, 02:09 PM
It's kinda strange that there so many people who try to make moral argument for capitalism when the reason that it works is that it takes advantage of our inherent greed.

Which for lack of a better word, "is good."

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2007/05/08/wallstreet460.jpg

mdklatt
5/12/2008, 03:10 PM
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2007/05/08/wallstreet460.jpg

Nation's Slicked-Back-Hair Men Rally Against Negative Hollywood Portrayal (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/nations_slicked_back_hair_men)

Heh.