PDA

View Full Version : U$C at it Again

kelloggOUballa
5/11/2008, 09:51 AM
Ex-Mayo confidant says he gave USC star gifts including TV, cash

ESPN.com

Louis Johnson, who was a part of Mayo's inner circle until recently, said Mayo accepted around $30,000 in cash and gifts during the past four years from Rodney Guillory, a 43-year-old Los Angeles event promoter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3390695

Ruuuuuufus
5/11/2008, 11:24 AM
Looks like this started long before he ever enrolled at USC.

sooner2b09
5/11/2008, 03:48 PM
great article by Pat Forde

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3390757&sportCat=ncb

Big Red Ron
5/11/2008, 04:35 PM
wow

"I think after the Reggie Bush fiasco that they would have definitely taken steps to prevent this type of thing from happening again," Johnson said.

Except they apparently didn't. Which is astonishing. And damning.

(However, it would not qualify as "repeat violator" status with the NCAA. The school has not been penalized -- or even charged -- in the Bush affair, and until that happens, USC would not fall under the repeat violator umbrella. That's why it couldn't get the death penalty. But a postseason ban would seem to be both plausible and justifiable.)

SoonerStormchaser
5/11/2008, 05:00 PM
I hope the NCAA leave U$C's athletic department a smoking crater after they get done with this investigation.

badger
5/11/2008, 08:22 PM
HAMMER! HAMMER!
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2957/banhammerlu5.jpg
I present to you the official HAMMER of the NCAA, which shall be displayed every time a major program majorly screws up and deserves punishment. Whether or not they actually are punished... no, probably not :rolleyes:

cheezyq
5/11/2008, 09:46 PM
HAMMER! HAMMER!

I present to you the official HAMMER of the NCAA, which shall be displayed every time a major program majorly screws up and deserves punishment. Whether or not they actually are punished... no, probably not :rolleyes:

Knowing the NCAA, the "hammer" is more like a 30 year old trash compactor - slowly creaking as it crushes, and jamming frequently. Don't expect anything soon from the NCAA on this one. If they took over 1.5 years giving us our punishment (which was fairly minor), it'll be YEARS before they give USC their proper punishment.

tulsaoilerfan
5/11/2008, 10:24 PM
Knowing the NCAA, the "hammer" is more like a 30 year old trash compactor - slowly creaking as it crushes, and jamming frequently. Don't expect anything soon from the NCAA on this one. If they took over 1.5 years giving us our punishment (which was fairly minor), it'll be YEARS before they give USC their proper punishment.

If ever

Shneeg11
5/11/2008, 10:45 PM
If ever

BINGO

tommieharris91
5/11/2008, 11:38 PM
Wow, I'm watching the Outside The Lines report right now, and there is A LOT of damning evidence against Overrated J. Mayo. There are all kinds of receipts, transfer stubs, and testimony from someone who was involved in this. It's a pretty nasty one-sided case. I'm sorry, but I can't believe Mayo or U$C on this one at all.

I hope OKC doesn't draft this guy either, but that's because I don't think he's all that good.

badger
5/12/2008, 07:53 AM
Knowing the NCAA, the "hammer" is more like a 30 year old trash compactor -

Sorry, trash compactors take too much time to fark... maybe after I lose this Monday morning sleepiness.

There's a story on Yahoo! blaming the NCAA's age limit, because we all should have known these kids would cheat and not follow the rules if they had to wait a little longer to go pro :rolleyes:

Seriously! :rolleyes:

Kids will take money they obviously didn't earn, accept gifts they obviously can't afford to pay back for, and not think they're breaking any rules doing it! :rolleyes:

WHY IS THAT SO HARD TO BELIEVE?!?! :rolleyes:

Poor kids! This is the game and the world they're subjected to and the life they're born into! :rolleyes:

Pity the future NBA superstars and their future million-dollar salaries! It's causing them to get benefits even before they enter the pros! :rolleyes:

What would Gary England do...

:gary:

Taxman71
5/12/2008, 10:20 AM
The problem is nobody cares a dang about the NCAA except the schools, coaches and CURRENT players. They have no jurisdiction over anyone or anything else and aren't going to get alot of help from the NBA, MLB or NFL. Besides, the more you know and follow the NCAA, the more of their hypocrisy and illogical reasoning becomes evident.

If a kid KNOWS he is done with college at the end of the season, what is the incentive (other than ethics, morals, etc.) to not accept money and other goods? I believe you should have the character to do what is right, but I can easily see an 18 year-old not having that character development....especially when you see your coach living in a $2mm house, the school oozing money all over the place from Nike, alumni, etc.

Yes, the free education, perks and stipend CRUSH what a normal student gets, but Nike, TV networks, et al aren't paying billions to universities to pimp their non-athletes.

badger
5/12/2008, 10:50 AM
Nike, TV networks, et al aren't paying billions to universities to pimp their non-athletes.

I agree with all except for this, for the sole reason that we don't see adidas OU gear and Pepsi machines on campus for a reason. They pay millions to our schools so that they earn billions in return :rolleyes:

Taxman71
5/12/2008, 12:26 PM
I agree with all except for this, for the sole reason that we don't see adidas OU gear and Pepsi machines on campus for a reason. They pay millions to our schools so that they earn billions in return :rolleyes:

Agree somewhat, but the dollars associated with Pepsi machines pale in comparison to Nike, Adidas, etc. Students are going to buy the team's brand just like all other fans, alumni, etc.

JohnnyMack
5/12/2008, 01:16 PM
They aren't gonna do much to USC over this. Too hard to prove a smoking gun between Mayo-SC-and the Agent.

mdklatt
5/12/2008, 01:27 PM
They aren't gonna do much to USC over this. Too hard to prove a smoking gun between Mayo-SC-and the Agent.

Hmmm...wouldn't that be a "failure to monitor"?

JohnnyMack
5/12/2008, 02:22 PM
What do you want, the NCAA to become a complete and total police state? Do you want them to monitor every single phone call made be every single scholarship athlete? Do you want them putting agents on stakeout in front of every single house/apartment of every single NCAA athlete? If not, how do you propose to monitor it? How do you propose that they keep tabs on ALL of them?

I'm not saying SC ain't guilty, I'm just sayin' that they're going to have a hell of a time connecting the dots back to SC.

crawfish
5/12/2008, 02:58 PM
NCAA to USC: If you keep this up, we're going to have to give you a STERN warning.

badger
5/12/2008, 03:11 PM
What do you want, the NCAA to become a complete and total police state? Do you want them to monitor every single phone call made be every single scholarship athlete? Do you want them putting agents on stakeout in front of every single house/apartment of every single NCAA athlete? If not, how do you propose to monitor it? How do you propose that they keep tabs on ALL of them?

I'm not saying SC ain't guilty, I'm just sayin' that they're going to have a hell of a time connecting the dots back to SC.

What I want: the NCAA to enforce the rules it expects everyone to follow.

JohnnyMack
5/12/2008, 03:21 PM
What I want: the NCAA to enforce the rules it expects everyone to follow.

How do you propose to stop Joe Random Football Guy from taking cash from a booster? If you find out that Joe Random Football Guy has taken money from a booster, how do you plan to connect the dots back to the school he is receiving his scholarship from?

If Joe Random Football Guy, on his own time, meets up with a "booster" or "agent" who gives him money while they're sitting on the guys couch watching MNF (hopefully the Packers would be winning :D) how is that the responsibility of the school he attends? The school can tell him over and over again that it's wrong, but unless they do something really stupid, like accept money that has a paper trail a mile long (cough, cough BRSI, cough, cough) how is the school culpable?

mdklatt
5/12/2008, 03:21 PM
What do you want, the NCAA to become a complete and total police state?

It would be nice if they put at least as much effort going after schools that look like they have something to hide as they do going after schools that 'fessed up on their own. Enforce everything, don't enforce anything but major violations, I don't care...just be consistent.

In the O. J. Mayo case, if its proven that he's been taking payments for years, shouldn't the NCAA at least ask USC why they didn't know about it? Not even from a punitive point of view, but from a "let's see if we can prevent this from happening again" point of view.

badger
5/12/2008, 03:31 PM
How do you propose to stop Joe Random Football Guy from taking cash from a booster?
As I originally stated...
THE HAMMER.
Throw down THE HAMMER on whatever school has one of these Joe Random Football Guy players and thus, schools will be discouraged from recruiting guys like this and Joe Random will be blacklisted.

We need to make examples of schools now before it really gets out of control!!!

so long as it isn't OU

JohnnyMack
5/12/2008, 03:36 PM
As I originally stated...
THE HAMMER.
Throw down THE HAMMER on whatever school has one of these Joe Random Football Guy players and thus, schools will be discouraged from recruiting guys like this and Joe Random will be blacklisted.

We need to make examples of schools now before it really gets out of control!!!

so long as it isn't OU

Enjoy watching soccer, or hockey or paint dry. Because if they did that, I don't think there would be a team out there that'd be still playing.

cheezyq
5/12/2008, 04:05 PM

Honestly, the only thing I want is fairness and consistency (ya, I know that's asking a lot). I agree that you can't monitor every Joe and Jane in college sports. But for the teams that don't monitor themselves at all (such as U$C), the NCAA should take it upon themselves to find out the truth and punish the living hell out of them. And for the teams that make an honest effort to police their own, give a little leniency and work with them to improve their monitoring efforts.

But that (fairness and consistency) is hard to accomplish when the investigating committee is typically comprised of alumni from either the offending school, or its rival.

Sooner_Havok
5/12/2008, 06:22 PM
How do you propose to stop Joe Random Football Guy from taking cash from a booster? If you find out that Joe Random Football Guy has taken money from a booster, how do you plan to connect the dots back to the school he is receiving his scholarship from?

If Joe Random Football Guy, on his own time, meets up with a "booster" or "agent" who gives him money while they're sitting on the guys couch watching MNF (hopefully the Packers would be winning :D) how is that the responsibility of the school he attends? The school can tell him over and over again that it's wrong, but unless they do something really stupid, like accept money that has a paper trail a mile long (cough, cough BRSI, cough, cough) how is the school culpable?

They sure connected the dots from BRSI to OU pretty well.

birddog
5/12/2008, 06:23 PM
Enjoy watching soccer, or hockey or paint dry. Because if they did that, I don't think there would be a team out there that'd be still playing.

soooo, you're back off the soccer bandwagon. and with chelsea making such a great run.

JohnnyMack
5/12/2008, 08:00 PM
soooo, you're back off the soccer bandwagon. and with chelsea making such a great run.

Heh. I did a great job of keeping up. Then the wife had another baby. Something had to give. :D

JohnnyMack
5/12/2008, 08:01 PM
They sure connected the dots from BRSI to OU pretty well.

Yes well the rocket scientists who concocted that scheme left a paper trail that the Mr. Magoo couldn't miss.

tulsaoilerfan
5/12/2008, 08:53 PM
The problem i have with the NCAA is they seem to only enforce the rules on certain schools; when was the last time USC, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU,Tennessee, etc where hit with any kind of sanctions in football? Hard to believe that they are all clean

birddog
5/13/2008, 08:53 AM
Heh. I did a great job of keeping up. Then the wife had another baby. Something had to give. :D

well, set aside the diaper changing on may 21st and watch an all-english final for the first time ever when chelsea plays man united.

poke4christ
5/13/2008, 12:46 PM
HAMMER! HAMMER!
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2957/banhammerlu5.jpg

I think this is a more accurate representation.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2383/toyhammeroh4.jpg

badger
5/13/2008, 12:58 PM
I think this is a more accurate representation.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2383/toyhammeroh4.jpg
I'm going against everything Sooner in me and spekking that...
You know, if you guys ever won a title in a sport that gets mentioned more than once per year, we would all accuse you and Pickens money of making that happen :D

emoinwinter
5/13/2008, 04:48 PM
how is the school culpable?

Realisticly they don't have to in order to receive some sort of punishment, even if it is just loosing games. They should at least loose games since they had a non-amateur playing for them. Am I right there?

SweetPup1221
5/15/2008, 01:59 PM
I wish the would jut suspend the entire athletic program for one year. Then they would get the picture.

101sooner
5/16/2008, 10:31 AM
Realisticly they don't have to in order to receive some sort of punishment, even if it is just loosing games. They should at least loose games since they had a non-amateur playing for them. Am I right there?

Good question. The answer could be yes if they failed to follow their own compliance guidelines (collect timecards, paystubs, etc.), and the NCAA can claim that had they followed their own compliance rules that it would have uncovered the shenanigans.

Also, let's keep in mind that in this case, the accuser is a convicted cocaine dealer.

I don't know what in the heck any school can do to catch all of this stuff. Maybe if there was a way to jeopardize an athletes draft status, that would cause some of them to think long and hard before they took that $100 hand shake if they knew it could cost them $10 million in just a year or two.

JLEW1818
5/27/2008, 01:46 PM
nice

soonerfan28
5/27/2008, 02:59 PM
I agree that USC should be punished but I hope the Sonics get this kid. ESPN had an article on there website about Mayo. It doesn't seem that the NBA GM's are to worried about this stuff and his stock has risen more then anybody since the end of basketball. The kid was an honor roll student at USC and never got into any trouble. I'm just glad he didn't go to K-State.