PDA

View Full Version : Do you fondue?

Okla-homey
5/11/2008, 07:49 AM
Tried it last night. "The Melting Pot" on the river in Jenks. I don't get it. 155.00 for four people.
blecchh.

that is all.

Rogue
5/11/2008, 08:03 AM
Finally convinced Mrs. Rogue that the fondue sets (2) we received as wedding gifts years ago and never used could be given to Goodwill. Methinks that chocolate fondue could be fun for dessert. Our German neighbors love it.

King Crimson
5/11/2008, 08:04 AM
Tried it last night. "The Melting Pot" on the river in Jenks. I don't get it. 155.00 for four people.
blecchh.

that is all.

it's a faddish faux Euro thing and who doesn't really like melty cheese? 40 bucks a head, surely you had something to drink, bottle of wine, no?

i would hate to be the dishwasher at joints like that. once that **** gets room temp it's hard as a rock.

King Crimson
5/11/2008, 08:07 AM
additionally, the "Melting Pot" is a stupid name. I hate overly coy restaurant concepts.

Okla-homey
5/11/2008, 08:09 AM
it's a faddish faux Euro thing and who doesn't really like melty cheese? 40 bucks a head, surely you had something to drink, bottle of wine, no?

i would hate to be the dishwasher at joints like that. once that **** gets room temp it's hard as a rock.

40 bucks a head. No wine. The kids had two beers a piece. Me and the Mrs. drank iced tea.

Melty cheese for starters. You put a bread cube on a fork doofer, twirl it in the cheese, then eat it. Then, they bring you chunks of raw meat and fish you literally boil in a mixture of wine and oil on your fork doofer. Then you eat it. I say again. bleccch.

King Crimson
5/11/2008, 08:17 AM
40 bucks a head. No wine. The kids had two beers a piece. Me and the Mrs. drank iced tea.

Melty cheese for starters. You put a bread cube on a fork doofer, twirl it in the cheese, then eat it. Then, they bring you chunks of raw meat and fish you literally boil in a mixture of wine and oil on your fork doofer. Then you eat it. I say again. bleccch.

40$ is way too much.

bleh. you are paying for the concept and all the goofball novelty stuff.

Okla-homey
5/11/2008, 08:21 AM
40$ is way too much.

bleh. you are paying for the concept and all the goofball novelty stuff.

I forgot. we got a salad too. It did not require boiling or cheeze immersion.;)

Turd_Ferguson
5/11/2008, 08:33 AM
I forgot. we got a salad too. It did not require boiling or cheeze immersion.;)did ya have to eat it with a doofer?

Okla-homey
5/11/2008, 08:48 AM
did ya have to eat it with a doofer?

no, they give a regular fork for that.

jkjsooner
5/11/2008, 11:10 AM
blecchh.

that is all.

I think they charge so much to help offset the huge insurance premiums they have to pay. The hot oil makes me nervous as heck not to mention the worry that I've undercooked the meat.

Flagstaffsooner
5/11/2008, 11:15 AM
I thought that was one of those early '70s fads.

tulsaoilerfan
5/11/2008, 11:38 AM
That doesn't sound like good eating to me

soonerinabilene
5/11/2008, 11:55 AM
Ill stick to the lobster fonduea at red lobster.

KC//CRIMSON
5/11/2008, 12:13 PM
99.9% of the people I know that have been to the Melting Pot say go for dessert and skip the dinner.

Cam
5/11/2008, 12:20 PM
99.9% of the people I know that have been to the Melting Pot say go for dessert and skip the dinner.

I've been to the melting pot and I approve this message.

Frozen Sooner
5/11/2008, 01:16 PM
I forgot. we got a salad too. It did not require boiling or cheeze immersion.;)

I imagine that would have been worth the $40. :D

OKC-SLC
5/11/2008, 01:33 PM
The wife and I occasionally fondue with olive oil and veggies/meats.

That sounds bad.

Okla-homey
5/11/2008, 01:49 PM
I think they charge so much to help offset the huge insurance premiums they have to pay. The hot oil makes me nervous as heck not to mention the worry that I've undercooked the meat.

Believe it or not, that occurred to me as I sat there in front of the red hot burner imbedded in my table with the half gallon stainless pot of boiling hot cheeze and later, the oil/wine mixture -- both situated in turn 12 inches in front of and above my crotch.

Frankly, if a couple got into a knockdowndragout at the table, somebody could get badly hurt.

Chuck Bao
5/11/2008, 03:51 PM
I’m not a big fan of fondue. Okay, I only tried it once in Geneva. And, my Swiss hosts were saying that it is too rich to be eaten in the summer. The boiling olive oil and wine thing sounds pretty good, though.

I am a big fan of Shabu Shabu, Sukiyaki or Mongolian Hot Grill.

It would be a terrible thing if the threat of a lawsuit would deter restaurant entrepreneurs from opening these types of restaurants.

With that being said, Thailand passed a law several years ago that banned gas-fired stoves at these restaurants. I guess there was too big of danger of one of the 20-40 gas stoves going ka-boom. They are all electric now and I assume safe, as long as you aren’t going to get into a fight with your dinner partners and start throwing hot soup onto their crotch parts. But, really, there are knives and forks and other stuff at every restaurant if you really want to inflict harm on your date.

soonerscuba
5/11/2008, 04:02 PM
Hey guys, want to go cheesing? It's fon to due.

Vaevictis
5/11/2008, 04:04 PM
You're also paying for how long you take up the table. It's not uncommon to spend 2-3 hours at a table there.

And that's also why I go there. Instead of going and hanging out at a bar for a few hours, go hang out at a restaurant.

BigRedJed
5/12/2008, 07:47 AM
I agree.

BigRedJed
5/12/2008, 07:48 AM
You're also paying for how long you take up the table. It's not uncommon to spend 2-3 hours at a table there.

And that's also why I go there. Instead of going and hanging out at a bar for a few hours, go hang out at a restaurant.
Yep, their table turn (by design) costs them customers every night. They have to make up for it somewhere. At that place you pay for environment as much as anything. Of course, it is a really nice environment, private tables, etc. So there are tradeoffs.

C&CDean
5/12/2008, 08:34 AM
fondue = sushi = trendy = meh

frankensooner
5/12/2008, 09:36 AM
We went to the Bricktown one back a couple of months ago for our wedding anniversary. It took three hours to eat. It was okay, but the dessert was great. Last week we went back with the kids and got just dessert. They liked it. It only took about 45 minutes and was much more enjoyable and cheaper.