PDA

View Full Version : Speed Racer

crawfish
5/10/2008, 10:54 PM
I really didn't want to go see this but my kids wanted to go. I had very low expectations from the reviews, and I didn't like the cartoon as a kid, but...I was really surprised! It's a pretty good movie, and a very good theater experience.

I give it three of five stars. I'm a bit shocked that it's getting so many bad reviews...

yermom
5/11/2008, 02:26 AM
i also liked it. see it in the Warren, OKC Metro'ers

it's not that it's really a great movie or anything, but it looks awesome

crawfish
5/11/2008, 02:12 PM
I will point out, I was shocked by the amount of profanity and violence in this PG-rated movie. It should've been PG-13, no question (or had that stuff pulled out). At least three moms took their young kids out during the movie, right after those scenes.

yermom
5/11/2008, 03:04 PM
it was PG? hmmm, i guess i didn't notice

i do remember a bit of language

crawfish
5/12/2008, 10:32 AM
it was PG? hmmm, i guess i didn't notice

i do remember a bit of language

It's easier when your kids are with you. :)

I guess we're the only ones who saw this. Kinda explains the box office...

mdklatt
5/12/2008, 11:26 AM
From the commercials, it looks like somebody left the final print in the backseat of a hot car with a big bag of Jolly Ranchers sitting on top of it. It also looks like it should be rated NE (No Epileptics).

yermom
5/12/2008, 05:18 PM
more like Skittles :D

shaun4411
5/12/2008, 05:31 PM
bad language is the devil.

badger
5/15/2008, 11:33 AM
Stop posting here! Bury this stupid double thread now!

---
So NormanPride and I was Speed Racer last night. We saw all the bad reviews and the fact that it didn't make much money in its first weekend, but despite that, I hope some people give it a chance.

It was a visual experience that was on the level of Matrix, but for a younger audience. If you are worried about taking your kids, you should know that they use the word "a$$" several times and the kid gives the bad guy the finger as an elevator door closes. However, there is no blood or graphic images, because a majority of the action is animated and over-the-top animated, like a video game. For those of you who remember F-Zero, it was very similar to F-Zero on a big screen.

The movie is more than two hours long, and NP and I don't mind going to movies that are awful just so we can laugh at it, but this is one that we actually liked seeing... not more than once, mind you, but it was fun.

http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.media/SpeedRacerA.jpg
Cheesy, like that picture, but still funny to look at :D

frankensooner
5/15/2008, 12:03 PM
My 5 year old loved it. The misses took him so I have no opinion. He got a toy of it yesterday at Target.

yermom
5/15/2008, 12:21 PM
that's basically what i thought about it. it was really not that bad. i think people were expecting something else

swardboy
5/15/2008, 12:55 PM
On a side note, I notice that Dragonball Z has put off it's opening from August to April 09. Personally I think it was being rushed anyway, but isn't April kind of a dead month for movie releases?

Fraggle145
5/15/2008, 02:05 PM
I would need some weed to watch speed.

crawfish
5/15/2008, 02:08 PM
That's pretty much what I said.

In my "Speed Racer" thread.

Which you obviously didn't bother to search for.

;)

NormanPride
5/15/2008, 02:50 PM
That's because your Speed Racer thread didn't have an awesome picture of a fanboy.

I loved that show, and the movie just made me remember how much I used to watch it. :)

SoonerInKCMO
5/15/2008, 03:09 PM
That's because your Speed Racer thread didn't have an awesome picture of a fanboy.

It's you, isn't it? :texan:

badger
5/15/2008, 03:39 PM
That's pretty much what I said.

In my "Speed Racer" thread.

Which you obviously didn't bother to search for.

;)

sorry man, didn't look since it wasn't on the first page :(

shows you how often i look at south oval :D

badger
5/15/2008, 03:43 PM
from the looks of it everyone that posted in the double thread i started didn't notice your first thread... which, might I point out, has less posts than my thread, and about half of them are from you anyways :D

trying to keep the ol' discussion going, eh? ahhh, its ok. this movie's gonna be out of theatres as soon a Narnia hits town, so might as well let it have it's hurrah while we can.

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2008, 03:44 PM
sorry man, didn't look since it wasn't on the first page :(

shows you how I don't really care to search :D

fixed ;)

NormanPride
5/15/2008, 03:55 PM
It's you, isn't it? :texan:

Why, ya jealous?

badger
5/15/2008, 04:00 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzz

NormanPride
5/15/2008, 04:01 PM
Feel the wrath of my one star. ;)

NormanPride
5/15/2008, 04:02 PM
What a surprise, she's sleeping again. :D

Sooner_Havok
5/15/2008, 04:04 PM
Where can I get an OU ring tone?

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2008, 04:29 PM
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6434/108803pv1.gif

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/penguincult/_images/ThisThreadSucks.jpg

5/15/2008, 05:16 PM
Did any of you kids actually watch the cartoon? To me, it's like anime... make no sense at all.

I guess growing up without cable in the northwest sticks of Oklahoma taught me one thing... appreciate a good Amarillo farm report first thing in the morning.

SoonerInKCMO
5/15/2008, 05:19 PM
Did any of you kids actually watch the cartoon? To me, it's like anime... make no sense at all.

I guess growing up without cable in the northwest sticks of Oklahoma taught me one thing... appreciate a good Amarillo farm report first thing in the morning.

I did - it blew giant chunks. And green donkey weenies.

I was :confused: when I heard they were making a movie about it because the only people I knew watching the cartoon back in the day were the short-bussers.