PDA

View Full Version : No-Huddle

mizzOUstu702
5/9/2008, 02:07 PM
Wait, so I'm a little confused and I've heard varying reports. Just to get a straight answer: has the offense switched to a completely no-huddle set, or is it just a wrinkle that we might pull out in certain circumstances besides a two-minute drill? I assumed the latter, but both of these ESPN stories suggest that we've switched completely:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3388100

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3388170

Thoughts?

183828sooners
5/9/2008, 04:13 PM
They spent much of the spring working on the no-huddle.Coach Stoops told me that they are going to see how it works for them and go from there. he also said that with a potent offense like we have this will definately help win games by putting a lot on the board.I am sure we will use this most of the time except when we really need to waste the clock.

MojoRisen
5/9/2008, 04:33 PM
Let's face it- when we won it all- we confused the crap out of a lot of teams and scored points in bunches - alot of the time jumping on teams early. With a decent defense this is what we need to do to get number 8.

We can always slow it down and grind it out - but why not leave that as a 2nd option as apposed to making it the only option.

experienced O line and QB is what we got so- this should be implemented.

swardboy
5/11/2008, 07:43 PM
They spent much of the spring working on the no-huddle.Coach Stoops told me that they are going to see how it works for them and go from there. he also said that with a potent offense like we have this will definately help win games by putting a lot on the board.I am sure we will use this most of the time except when we really need to waste the clock.

:eek:

85sooners
5/12/2008, 09:46 AM
:cool:

NormanPride
5/12/2008, 10:06 AM
I say we bring back the ninjee. :texan:

soonersn20xx
5/12/2008, 11:22 PM
I think to use it sparingly would not be effective, but it shouldn't be used all the time either. Depending on the down and distance when teams try to rotate in different defensive sets will put alot of pressure on their coordinators.

But our offensive lineman also will have to be in top shape to block effectively, if they are gassed more than the defense.............it won't work.

goingoneight
5/12/2008, 11:45 PM
I don't think OUr problem as a team has been bad offense in recent years, although I do think at times it wouldn't kill us to hurry the f*ck up. Oregon, Texas 2006, OSU 2006, aTm 2006, Boise State 2006, WVU, many others included we were effective moving the chains but spent WAY too much time in the huddle and it's not like we were calling anything out of the ordinary. Like stated above, we've got the personnel to run with this system, especially this year... might as well learn to hurry it up. I can already think of two potential games where we'll prefer to score quickly in 2008. It's not too fun looking at the clock with four minutes on it and thinking to yourself that we don't have enough time to score a critical TD on the road at say... College Station or Stoolwater. Josh Heupel, Nate Hybl and Jason White were really good at running the hurry up. We never really needed it that I recall, but we could flat-out move the chains ASAP when those guys went five-wide. It's good to know that Sam has such a great grasp of the pro-style offense at his young age, this will be a nice little tool to add to his resume and OUr own as well.

soonerinabilene
5/13/2008, 11:09 AM
I don't think OUr problem as a team has been bad offense in recent years, although I do think at times it wouldn't kill us to hurry the f*ck up. Oregon, Texas 2006, OSU 2006, aTm 2006, Boise State 2006, WVU, many others included we were effective moving the chains but spent WAY too much time in the huddle .

That plus stupid penalties is what killed momentum in the Boise and WVU games.

soonerinabilene
5/13/2008, 11:10 AM

He told me we were going to the veer, so who knows what will happen.:cool:

goingoneight
5/13/2008, 09:59 PM
It's going to be a no-huddle wishbone... why else did we get so much Clapp coverage this spring? :D Keith Nichol must have transferred when the announcement was made that we were moving DeMarco Murray to QB. Well, that's what he told me at least.

Oh, and BV told me we were going to run a 6-5 defense. No linebackers, just fat guys and fast guys. That's what he told me anyways. ;)

Vegas Sooner
5/13/2008, 10:52 PM
I think they will do it here and there, and thats about it.