PDA

View Full Version : Keith Nichol

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2008, 11:17 AM
supposedly telling a Michigan radio station he is transferring as per the DO

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2008, 11:20 AM
linkage (http://newsok.com/ou-qb-nichol-to-transfer/article/3241228/?tm=1210349721)

Mjcpr
5/9/2008, 11:23 AM
Didn't he just come out a while back and say he was no quitter and he wasn't going anywhere?

I'm not sure I can blame him but still.

How the hell do other teams keep a plethora of QBs? Or does this pretty much happen to everybody?

OK2U
5/9/2008, 11:24 AM
He said that he wasn't leaving B4 Landry showed up on the scene. I wonder if the competition got a little too hot for him.

crimsonclass
5/9/2008, 11:26 AM
http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/05/former_lowell_qb_keith_nichol.html

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/9/2008, 11:28 AM
All the more reason to like Paul Thompson.

soonerinabilene
5/9/2008, 11:32 AM
I think he is actually making the best decision for himself. No one is going to replace Sam as the starter except for injury, and Halze was still above him on the depth chart. Throw in Landry Jones, and I think he saw the writing on the wall. He would be a good fit for RR at Michigan.

SouthFortySooner
5/9/2008, 11:34 AM
Landry Landry Landry

NormanPride
5/9/2008, 11:35 AM
Good luck, Keith! Nobody can blame you, and now maybe we can get rid of these ice storms. ;)

badger
5/9/2008, 11:36 AM
It wasn't the DOK's story alone, so no need to Oklahoman conspiracy theories here. It was also on the Grand Rapids Press.

Here's what I think happened: Nichol was No. 2.5 on the depth chart last year, sharing the No. 2 spot with Hazle, right? Well, Joey's graduating, so that makes him sole No. 2 and ready to step in should Bradford go down or go pro this year, right? Wrong. Gung-ho Sooner Landry Jones likely moved past Nichol recently, just as Hazle moved past Nichol during the last season, so Nichol likely went from No. 3 to No. 4 on the depth chart, meaning he has relatively no chance of starting, barring some major injuries from three (not just one or two as was the case last year) quarterbacks.

It's not like we're turning him loose or casting him off on a little life boat here. I mean, Switzer once encouraged Troy Aikman to transfer and helped him find a situation in UCLA that made him into the No. 1 draft pick and a future NFL Hall of Famer. Not saying Nichol is Troy, but it could happen.

King Crimson
5/9/2008, 11:40 AM
sounds like it's the best decision for him. i wish him well.

sooneron
5/9/2008, 11:45 AM
Good luck, Keith.

BillyBall
5/9/2008, 11:52 AM
Im surprised it took this long truthfully.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2008, 11:52 AM
I threw the "supposedly" in my post because I dont think the DO had actually put it on the site when I heard(read) that they were running an article on it...I try not to speak in facts before I see quotes from the person involved..Thanks crimsonclass for the link.....

Keith, have a chat with Tommy Grady before you make your final decision if it hasn't already been made....

colleyvillesooner
5/9/2008, 11:54 AM
http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/05/former_lowell_qb_keith_nichol.html

Keith Nichol, former all-state quarterback at Lowell High School, has decided to transfer from Oklahoma University following his freshman season.

He made the announcement this morning on WBBL-AM (1340) during the "On the Bench" program.

"You gotta cut your losses sometimes and move on with your life," Nichol told guest hosts Dave Skoczen and Dan Elve.

Nichol said he has left the Sooners and is seeking the "best opportunity" to play elsewhere. He did not mention any possible destinations.

The 6-foot-2, 204-pound signal caller had been expected to attend Michigan State University, but changed his mind and chose Oklahoma when MSU fired John L. Smith and hired Mark Dantonio.

"I felt like I cheated myself a little bit in the recruiting process," he told WBBL.

HEH

colleyvillesooner
5/9/2008, 11:57 AM
Didn't he just come out a while back and say he was no quitter and he wasn't going anywhere?

I'm not sure I can blame him but still.

How the hell do other teams keep a plethora of QBs? Or does this pretty much happen to everybody?

Yep One month ago to the day:

Nichol: leaving no option

by: JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
4/9/2008

Sophomore quarterback says he's at OU for the long haul.

Keith Nichol fans, take heart. Your man's not going anywhere.

"I'm not backing down," Nichol says.

Oklahoma is one college football program that doesn't appear to have an open quarterback competition. Sam Bradford began writing his chapter in the Sooner encyclopedia last season with a record-setting redshirt freshman campaign. That projects to three more years as OU's starting quarterback.

Nichol last season was a first-year freshman. That projects to three more years as Bradford's backup.

But those who expect Nichol to bail out, take his ball and go play somewhere else are getting ahead of themselves.

"I would never back down just because somebody had a good year," Nichol said. "A lot of stuff changes, especially in college football.

"Everything can change in a flash, and you can't be looking at it like, 'I'm not going to play my whole college career,' " he said. "You can't look at it like that. I could be going in first play, first game. You've just got to be ready for whatever happens."

Nichol is still growing as a quarterback, and after two scrimmages this spring, he still appears to be behind senior-to-be Joey Halzle. In OU's first two major scrimmages, Halzle was the second quarterback behind Bradford.

Halzle's numbers are markedly better this spring. Going into Saturday's Red / White Game, Halzle is 20-of-34 for 234 yards. He has zero touchdowns, but also hasn't been intercepted. Nichol is 7-of-24 for 113 yards with no TDs and three interceptions. He was disappointed with a 2-of-9, two-interception performance in the first scrimmage, so last week he went 5-of-15 with one pick.

"I wanted to come out from last weekend and just show everybody how much I've improved," Nichol said. "I made some bad plays, kind of threw myself off just by forcing stuff. I didn't play very good, so I just tried to bounce back and play like me, not play like anybody else. And I thought I did that."

Nichol came to OU from Lowell, Mich., after decommitting from Michigan State. The Sooners suddenly had an opening when Rhett Bomar was kicked off the team and Paul Thompson was finishing his senior season. Halzle, then a junior college transfer, and Bradford, then a redshirting rookie, were the only QBs on the roster.

Then came Bradford's 2007. A school record (and a national crown) for efficiency rating. A major college freshman record for touchdown passes (36). A Big 12 championship.

Nichol said the month between last summer's wide-open competition and the second week of the regular season, when Bradford threw five touchdowns against Miami, was a tough time.

"I had my disappointment. I'm not going to lie," Nichol said. "But the team did good. Sam played well. Overall, I was happy. From a selfish, personal standpoint, I was a little disappointed I wasn't playing."

Nichol is more comfortable, but he's not going to take Bradford's job simply by practicing well. For now, he's still got Halzle ahead of him. (Halzle got into nine games last season, Nichol played in three).

The reality is that if Bradford stays healthy and has playmakers around him, he'll be a four-year starter. With that, Nichol has some op tions. The '08 season is Halzle's last, so Nichol can keep competing as Bradford's backup and get playing time as it comes (like Nate Hybl and Jason White). Or he can redshirt a season and try to be the starter in 2011 (like Paul Thompson). Or he can look for greener pastures (like Tommy Grady, who said he immediately regretted leaving in 2005 for Utah).

Nichol says the latter is not an option.

"A lot of people ask that question, 'Why aren't you going somewhere?' I love OU," he said. "I love the people here. First and foremost, worst-case scenario, you get a free education. That's really not a bad deal. But I'm staying for a lot of reasons.

"I'm here to compete. I'm not going to back down. If I had to transfer, I would have to compete for a starting spot. I'm not going to sit here and just compete for a second, third or fourth. I'm here for the top."

colleyvillesooner
5/9/2008, 11:59 AM
He said that he wasn't leaving B4 Landry showed up on the scene. I wonder if the competition got a little too hot for him.

As the post above shows, he said he was staying as little as one month ago. Landry has been on Campus since January.

Best of luck to Keith. I'm assuming the coaches let him know something between 4/9 and today that helped his decision. Hope he catches on somewhere and has a great career.

Rhino
5/9/2008, 12:05 PM
Smart move. Good luck to the kid.

Collier11
5/9/2008, 12:20 PM
Im sure Coach had a heart to heart with the kid and told him he could start at about 70-80 other schools right away but will be a struggle here...I wish him great luck!

sooner94
5/9/2008, 12:35 PM
Good for him. I really liked his attitude while he was here. He didn;t give up and transfer at the first sign he wouldn't be the starter. I like how he went through Spring practice again to give it a shot, instead of leaving right after the season.

I wish him well and will root for him wherever he goes (just not if his team plays against us ;).

badger
5/9/2008, 12:41 PM
I wish him well and will root for him wherever he goes (just not if his team plays against us ;).

we can root for other players/coaches without rooting for entire teams :D

For example - Mike Leach. We want him to succeed, but we want Tech to lose to OU. We also hope that he fulfills his aspiration to become a pirate and lead an A&M-like fish camp entitled "Mike's Pirate Training," or whatever he called it.

Another example - Mark Mangino. We loved the fact that he won the Orange Bowl with Kansas. Yet another former OU assistant (who happened to never play college football himself, like Leach) to succeed elsewhere :)

Player example - Washington's Taj Bomar. Did you hear the loud reactions our crowd gave him when UW visited Norman?

Ok - bad example :D

BillyBall
5/9/2008, 01:42 PM
HEH

Thats hilarious.

JohnnyMack
5/9/2008, 01:46 PM

Hillary Clinton says the same thing. Do any of us believe her?

soonerlaw
5/9/2008, 02:04 PM
It just goes to show the caliber of players we have at OU. Its a highly competitive team and you certainly can't blame hime for trying his options elsewhere.

Look at Tashard Choice.. went from backup to AD to starring at Ga.Tech to being drafted by the Cowboys.

I'm sure there is a program out there that could use a talented qb like Keith, and I wish him the best of luck.

KantoSooner
5/9/2008, 02:24 PM
Sad for us, because I think he's a great qb and you never know....

Happy for him and wish him the best, because I think he's a great qb and he deserves time on the field.

Taxman71
5/9/2008, 02:28 PM
On the plus side, we never have to hear or read "Kid Nichol" from Berry Tramel again.

soonerfan28
5/9/2008, 02:28 PM
I don't think it makes him a quitter to be moving on. He liked OU and had to do what was best for him. Nobody wants to sit 5 years and watch other players play. I hope he goes somewhere and starts right away (after the 1 year transfer). He should have a redshirt to burn, so good luck.

Jay C. Upchurch
5/9/2008, 02:33 PM
Official release from OU....

NORMAN -- Oklahoma head football coach Bob Stoops said today that quarterback Keith Nichol is transferring away from the Sooner program. He did not indicate a destination for Nichol.

“We had a good conversation with Keith and certainly understand his desire to seek an opportunity in another program,” Stoops said. “He knows that we are supportive of him under any circumstance, whether it’s here or at a different school. We want what’s best for him.

“Keith worked very hard while he was here and put forth all the effort our coaches could expect. He contributed to our program with his character and dedication. Keith leaves with our appreciation and best wishes and we will do what we can to make this an easy transition for him.”

Last season, as a true freshman, the Lowell, Mich., native played in OU’s games against North Texas, Utah State and Tulsa. He completed 2-of-7 passes for 15 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions, and he rushed three times for 13 yards.

Oklahoma still has three quarterbacks on scholarship in returning starter Sam Bradford, senior Joey Halzle and true freshman Landry Jones.

Bradford led the Sooners to the 2007 Big 12 Conference championship in his redshirt freshman season. He led the nation in passing efficiency, completed 69.5% of his passes and set an NCAA record for touchdown passes by a freshman with 36 against just eight interceptions.

StuMondo
5/9/2008, 02:49 PM
Bradford's got the job locked up anyway. Let him go. Smart move if he ever wants to see the field.

MojoRisen
5/9/2008, 03:25 PM
This is true, He was going to be good... After Bradfords first year - I don't think he was going to get a real fair shake at winning the job.

Good kid hate to loose him -

SbOrOiNaEnR
5/9/2008, 04:36 PM
On the plus side, we never have to hear or read "Kid Nichol" from Berry Tramel again.

Or "Kevin Nichol" from The Oklahoma Daily.

OK2U
5/9/2008, 05:08 PM

...Thank God

olevetonahill
5/9/2008, 05:09 PM
Good Luck K.N.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/9/2008, 05:29 PM

He'll come up with others. Too bad it's not tramel that is transferring.

183828sooners
5/9/2008, 05:50 PM
Keith Nichol will shine and rise as a phenom and will be an NFL caliber quarterback as long as he goes to a program that has great mentors to shape his talents.OU is that program and there are others but....well dang I am going to miss the guy.He was one of the most conversationalist guys on the squad.Keith good luck and us true OU fans will follow your promising career!

Big Red Ron
5/9/2008, 06:00 PM
wuss

soonersn20xx
5/9/2008, 07:26 PM
I certainly understand his decision and he shouldn't be hit over the head with his previous comments. To Keith, thanks for coming to OU and best of luck.

auto
5/9/2008, 07:35 PM
Sorry to see him go, looks like the real deal, I wish him success.

setem
5/9/2008, 09:10 PM
SON OF A ****!

I remember I was on the Nichol train when it rolled into town. After Bradford started destroying teams I fell off. Nichol is still a great kid and I wish him the best.

Kieth Nichol is a 10ft beast man who showers in vodka and feeds his baby shrimp scampi!

They use his foreskin as a tarp at Memorial Stadium when it rains!

Kieth Nichol sired a a baseball team...an orchestra if you count the bastards!

birddog
5/9/2008, 09:20 PM
he has the best arm of all the qb's on campus so i think he'll find a good fit for him and be successful.

i also wondered what took him so long but i appreciate his competitive attitude. i think he made those around him work much harder.

olevetonahill
5/9/2008, 09:37 PM
If ya think about it a tad Its the Best Fer KN and OU
Its Highly unlikely the SB will do something Stupid and Get drivin outta town ( Injured Maybe ) With this Landry Kid coming In Ot Gives Josh time to build him up while Sam Continues to roll. I like the Fact that we had him for a yr If we needed him .
He Can still Go to a skool and Be a 3 yr starter if I understan this right . If Not Oh well 2 yrs then .
We have a very talented QB with a Very talented Back up and a Talented 2nd stringer for next season
Its wa win win for Both KN and OU
Ill say It again
Good Luck KN I wish you the best

bluedogok
5/9/2008, 10:13 PM
He could use his redshirt as the transfer year and have 3 years of eligibility left at the new school, kind of like the Nate Hybl/Quincy Carter situation at Georgia.

Makes sense for him, good luck to him wherever he lands.

oupride
5/9/2008, 10:17 PM
Best to you Keith!

Frozen Sooner
5/9/2008, 11:12 PM
Just a thought:

Michigan whiffed on Pryor.
Nichol would fit Rodriguez' system well.
Nichol is FROM Michigan.
It'd REALLY cheese off Sparty if he went to Michigan-and considering the crap that Sparty talked about him, that might be a consideration. :D

olevetonahill
5/9/2008, 11:20 PM
Just a thought:

Nichol is FROM Michigan.
It'd REALLY cheese off Sparty if he went to Michigan-and considering the crap that Sparty talked about him, that might be a consideration. :D

WINNER .

Scott D
5/9/2008, 11:28 PM
Just a thought:

Nichol is FROM Michigan.

not to mention that Michigan currently has an available scholarship for this year because they held it for Pryor.

BillyBall
5/9/2008, 11:34 PM
Just a thought:

Nichol is FROM Michigan.

I really think he ends up at Cincinnati, U of Michigan will have 5 QBs on campus by the time Kid Nichol becomes eligible. Competition is out of style...

God I love not having to read "Kid Nichol" ever again.

swardboy
5/10/2008, 06:12 AM
As long as he doesn't wind up in the Big 12 somewhere, good luck Keith.....

swardboy
5/10/2008, 06:16 AM
And on a related note, OU has etched it in stone that the mobile qb is not a priority. Height, good reads, good arm...let the running backs carry the mail...

Jacie
5/10/2008, 07:56 AM
The parts of this that worries me are future recruiting OOS prospects and having to endure the I-told-you-so's from whorn fans who were all over this kid's case the moment he signed with OU.

colleyvillesooner
5/10/2008, 08:11 AM
As long as he doesn't wind up in the Big 12 somewhere, good luck Keith.....

I want to say that there is a rule against that, or you have to sit out two years. That may be BBall.

Or I just made it up. :D

Scott D
5/10/2008, 09:08 AM
in conference is 2 years sitting out.

OU-HSV
5/10/2008, 09:10 AM
I wish KN the best. I think he'll find success at his next school..it would be tough to be (at best) Sam's backup for 2+ years. I think he'll find a system that he's more suited for, as others have said maybe he even goes to Michigan.

So I wonder if Landry will redshirt this year for sure now, only to be pulled if Sam and Halzle go down w/injuries. I think it would be best if they r/s Landry. But obviously Stoops will make the right decision.

goingoneight
5/10/2008, 10:23 AM
Landry Jones wants to redshirt for now according to all sources, his own quotes included. This brings OUr QB stable from solid back to good.

As for KN... absolutely best wishes your way man. You kept up with your studies, worked your azz off and made the team better in scout duty. A fifth-year senior is never guaranteed a starting role at Oklahoma. If a guy like Kejuan Jones thinks he's got it locked up when DeMarco Murray comes to town, in the end he might have spent five years just to enjoy the sideline experience. As much as I like Paul Thompson, who here thinks that he would have won the job over Bradford if he had been in KN's position if he were the "incumbent" 5th-year guy in 2007?

It would be cool to see him land in Ann Arbor, but it's awful hard for a guy in KN's shoes to go from top-tier program to top-tier program "just because." You recruit and sign guys you want and believe in, and really no one knows at this point whether or not he can handle the colege game. He may be talented, but he proved nothing in those first three games last year that tells top coaches like Rodriguez and Stoops "we need this guy, now."

Civicus_Sooner
5/10/2008, 11:34 AM
he has the best arm of all the qb's on campus so i think he'll find a good fit for him and be successful.

If you mean best arm for throwing picks, then I agree. Good guy but from what I have seen, he doesn't look of receivers and throws into double coverage way too much. Course he can learn that stuff.

Also, have pretty good info that Landry has the strongest arm on campus and may have passed Nichol on the depth chart.

Civicus_Sooner
5/10/2008, 11:37 AM
And on a related note, OU has etched it in stone that the mobile qb is not a priority. Height, good reads, good arm...let the running backs carry the mail...As it should be. Steve Young is the only former option QB (scrambler) that I know of that won a superbowl.

cheezyq
5/10/2008, 03:22 PM
Just a thought:

Nichol is FROM Michigan.

A horrifying thought:

Goes to LSU to replace RP....

That'd make me want to puke. [hairGel]

badger
5/10/2008, 05:07 PM
The parts of this that worries me are future recruiting OOS prospects and having to endure the I-told-you-so's from whorn fans who were all over this kid's case the moment he signed with OU.

They shouldn't talk, not that it will stop them :D

After all, think of all the studly recruited qb's they've had on a revolving door there at Texas? Do we need to refresh your memories?

- Jevan Sneed transfers to Ole Miss.

- GJ Kinne transfers to Tulsa.

These both happened recently. Transfers (at any position, really) are something that happen in college football, especially at the top programs. At programs like Oklahoma and Texas, the best players play and everyone gets an equal chance at playing (unless your dad is Phil Simms). That will leave some talented guys out, but no starting spots are guaranteed at top programs (unless Charlie Weis has a crush on you and your spikey hair), even if you've been there for years. You compete and you earn your spots through hard work and its too bad that there isn't enough playing time to go around to everyone in some situations (something the USC running backs should have figured out before submitting to the Pete Carroll screwjobs) and there can only be one starter and 11 guys on the field at a time (unless you're A&M).

Frozen Sooner
5/10/2008, 06:22 PM
As it should be. Steve Young is the only former option QB (scrambler) that I know of that won a superbowl.

Steve Young was not an option QB.

That John Elway dude scrambled a lot and had some success. :D

soonermix
5/10/2008, 06:59 PM
KN go get some pt. gl

Wishboned
5/10/2008, 07:25 PM
Best of luck to him.

He seems like a good kid, he had a great attitude, and I hope he reaches his full potential where ever he ends up.

stoopified
5/10/2008, 10:38 PM
I hope it works out for him.

utex74
5/11/2008, 12:30 AM
I think Nichol did it the right and classy way. I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere. Our recent transfer, Kinne, also handled it well going to Tulsa. They were both loyal to their team and left when it had the least impact, psycologically or otherwise. Much better than our transfer last year, Snead, who started looking for schools half way through the season and jumped before the bowl game. Hear he's doing OK at Ol' Miss. We'll see.

Best of luck to Kinne and Nichol.

goingoneight
5/11/2008, 08:08 AM
I forgot that Snead is now a fightin' Nutt.

And you're right... the only way you can handle this nowadays is to white-lie to the media like KN did. It's totally cool by me. The locals were just fondling themselves thinking that they had called the story of the century about KN leaving and he said he hadn't even discussed it with his family yet and still liked OU and his team. I'll bet during his spring break he probably went home and heard something from his family along the lines of "ride it out this spring and see if you can get in the thick of things, if not... we'll seek a transfer." I know if I was say, at USC and my family was way over in Oklahoma, I wouldn't go letting the media just stroke their egos... I'd work through spring ball and then make my decision once I got a chance to visit with my family.

tulsaoilerfan
5/11/2008, 11:37 AM
Keith made the right choice; there is a very good chance he would have never seen the field at OU other than mop up duty; i hope the kid chooses his new school wisely and makes the best of it

tulsaoilerfan
5/11/2008, 11:38 AM
Do the Sooners have another scholly QB on campus besides the 3 i know of now?

OU-HSV
5/11/2008, 02:51 PM
I don't know of any other than Sam, Joey, and Landry.
And I simply don't know much about John Nimmo...I'm assuming he was a walkon, correct?

adoniijahsooner
5/11/2008, 03:05 PM
I wish KN the best. I think he'll find success at his next school..it would be tough to be (at best) Sam's backup for 2+ years. I think he'll find a system that he's more suited for, as others have said maybe he even goes to Michigan.

So I wonder if Landry will redshirt this year for sure now, only to be pulled if Sam and Halzle go down w/injuries. I think it would be best if they r/s Landry. But obviously Stoops will make the right decision.

Sam will not be touched the entire year, and with the lineman we have who will be only be jrs next year and the lineman that are coming in, it doesnt give the back up hope of getting on the field. Sam only went out last year because he tried to make a tackle.

birddog
5/11/2008, 06:50 PM
If you mean best arm for throwing picks, then I agree. Good guy but from what I have seen, he doesn't look of receivers and throws into double coverage way too much. Course he can learn that stuff.

Also, have pretty good info that Landry has the strongest arm on campus and may have passed Nichol on the depth chart.

it's been mentioned by all the coaches that kn had more physical tools than any qb on campus, including arm strength. i'll get you some links if you'd like (maybe that changed with lj coming in.) the reason he never really had a chance to start was all cerebral. maybe something was massively wrong with his medula oblongata.

Big Red Ron
5/11/2008, 07:04 PM
it's been mentioned by all the coaches that kn had more physical tools than any qb on campus, including arm strength. i'll get you some links if you'd like (maybe that changed with lj coming in.) the reason he never really had a chance to start was all cerebral. maybe something was massively wrong with his medula oblongata.
Dude had monkey arms. Looked like he had the arms of a 7 footer. I remember them saying he had the best physical tools last year but Landry can flat out throw the ball. I feel real good about the QB position this year but we'll certainly need a big QB recruit next year.

OUTrumpet
5/11/2008, 08:37 PM
I really think he ends up at Cincinnati, U of Michigan will have 5 QBs on campus by the time Kid Nichol becomes eligible. Competition is out of style...

God I love not having to read "Kid Nichol" ever again.

I doubt he ends up at Cincy due to us having a pair of games against them.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Stoops release him, but not if he's going to play for any team that is on our schedule for the next 3 years. It wouldn't be the first time that that stipulation will be used.

OU4LIFE
5/12/2008, 09:14 AM
I called this, like two years ago.

JLEW1818
5/12/2008, 09:37 AM
Is Jones Going red shirt?

snp
5/12/2008, 02:47 PM
I don't know of any other than Sam, Joey, and Landry.
And I simply don't know much about John Nimmo...I'm assuming he was a walkon, correct?

Correct.

Is Jones Going red shirt?

Barring injuries, yea.

Animal Mother
5/12/2008, 04:32 PM
All the more reason to like Paul Thompson.

If you need anymore reasons to admire Paul, you're beyond help.

Animal Mother
5/12/2008, 04:42 PM

Good gravy!! LEATHER UP!!!

TMcGee86
5/12/2008, 05:42 PM
Kinda makes me wish for LJ to get some playing time this year, seeing as how he'll have to be ready to go next season if Sam gets hurt (or God forbid leaves :o ) but I imagine he will RS.

shaun4411
5/12/2008, 06:39 PM
nichol = still better than brent rawls

OU-HSV
5/12/2008, 08:27 PM
Sam will not be touched the entire year, and with the lineman we have who will be only be jrs next year and the lineman that are coming in, it doesnt give the back up hope of getting on the field. Sam only went out last year because he tried to make a tackle.

I know what you're saying...and I'm only stating that injury would be the main way one of the backups would see substantial playing time.
I hope you're right that the O-line has improved not only on sacks allowed, but on bonehead penalties as well. Although 14 sacks allowed all year (2007) isn't terrible, all it takes is one "whoops I missed my blocking assignment" and a QB can get injured. And let's not forget how many times Sam stood strong in the pocket and took hits or felt the pressure during and after the ball was thrown..I recall this happening on more than one occasion. I think it was the Miami game that I remember most clearly seeing him take a hard hit while still throwing a helluva an accurate ball and for a TD at that I believe. So let's only hope the O-Line is much improved.

snp
5/12/2008, 08:43 PM
I hope he follows Sumlin to Houston.

OU-HSV
5/12/2008, 08:49 PM
I hope he follows Sumlin to Houston.

Now that's an interesting thought.

snp
5/12/2008, 09:00 PM
He'd be a great fit in that spread offense Sumlin is employing too.

freshchris05
5/15/2008, 06:56 PM
good point^

freshchris05
5/15/2008, 06:57 PM
still it would be funny if he went to the maize and blue...

VA Sooner
5/15/2008, 09:02 PM
I agree... he's a great fit for Michigan. Hate to see him with the old WVU coach there but Keith is a good athlete and needs a chance to shine for being a good kid. Michigan (or Cincinatti) would be good.

Good luck, Keith!

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2008, 09:38 PM
Rumors abound that he's headed back to Michigan State.

That would be perfect, especially as much hate they spewed his way when he switched to OU.

MichiganSooner
5/16/2008, 03:04 PM
Rumors abound that he's headed back to Michigan State.

That would be perfect, especially as much hate they spewed his way when he switched to OU.

Would not surprise me to see that happen. Michigan State has a verbal commit from a senior-to-be from my hometown of Midland, MI who has started his first 3 years of high school already. There is an interesting connection to Midland and Keith's old high school at Lowell. The two teams met last fall in the semifinals. The QB for Lowell was a kid with the last name of Nichol. Lowell was driving for the winning TD. On fourth and goal at the 2, Nichol spiked the ball to stop the clock. Oops. Don't know how that Nichol is related to Keith.

Scott D
5/16/2008, 03:09 PM
younger brother.