PDA

View Full Version : Any of you chowhounds had a Braums "frank samwich?"

Okla-homey
5/9/2008, 08:54 AM
I am a Braums fan. But this? I don't get it. It's weenies split lengthwise, on a hamburger bun, with chili and cheese. My question is; why?

IMHO, Braums is dabbling in the unholy science of food item merging. Chili Dogs must remain separate from burgers and/or Sloppy Joes.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4086/chili20cheese20frankxd9.jpg
The Unholy and Unnatural Braums Chili-cheese frankfurter samwich.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2008, 08:57 AM
thats why i am against that bowl KFC makes with every item on their menu mixed together.....

When I go to Braums for lunch, they shall receive my wrath

King Crimson
5/9/2008, 08:58 AM
not necessarily true my friend. Braum's may be committing heresy, but they aren't the first. As a young lad growing up in Norman, my folks used to take me to the long-time defunct Red Coat restaurant. These modern-day food daredevils had a similar sammie on the menu i used to get all the time. it was the #8, i think.

edit: in fact, i think you could choose between chili or BBQ sauce. which is existential freedom realized nearly.

Okla-homey
5/9/2008, 09:02 AM
I also predict this food heresy will result in highway deaths when some igmo tries to eat one while driving.

5/9/2008, 09:03 AM
I predict this menu item fails miserably. Serves them right for taking Butter Brickle off their lineup.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2008, 09:03 AM
from the Braums website:

Braum’s New Chili Cheese Frankfurter. A big quarter pound, hickory smoked Premium Frankfurter, all beef chili, specially seasoned and poured on thick and hot, lots of shredded cheddar cheese, on a sesame seed bun baked fresh in Braum’s bakery.

Their wording definitely makes it more tempting.

Okla-homey
5/9/2008, 09:04 AM
What's next? French Fried Meat Loaf?

This sort of thing must be nipped in the bud. The next thing you know, our Oklahoma boys will be wearing earrings and eye-liner and our gals will be dressing like...wait. Nevermind

5/9/2008, 09:05 AM
Does it include a sharp sliver of bone like their hamburger?

Turd_Ferguson
5/9/2008, 09:14 AM
I just had one yesterday. Perty damn good IMO.

Okla-homey
5/9/2008, 09:42 AM
I just had one yesterday. Perty damn good IMO.

:rcmad: HERETIC! BURN HIM!

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2008, 09:48 AM
You can do it! Cut his ****ing head off!
http://www.cineol.net/images/noticias/Cameos/Waterboy_2.jpg

soonerinabilene
5/9/2008, 09:55 AM

That entices me.

Turd_Ferguson
5/9/2008, 09:55 AM
:rcmad: HERETIC! BURN HIM! Heh. I've had the one at Johnny's quite a few times. There's is better than Braums, but only because there chili is better.:texan:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/9/2008, 09:59 AM
Johnnie's has been doing that to their hot dogs forever.

SoonerInKCMO
5/9/2008, 10:20 AM

That entices me.

I am enticed as well. Put a side order of chicken fried bacon with it and I'm there.

Okla-homey
5/9/2008, 10:21 AM
Johnnie's has been doing that to their hot dogs forever.

I imagine Rosy O'Donnell has been doing unnatural things with hot dogs (and what not) "forever" as well...but that don't make it right!

SoonerInKCMO
5/9/2008, 10:22 AM
I imagine Rosy O'Donnell has been doing unnatural things with hot dogs (and what not) "forever" as well...but that don't make it right!

[Meg Griffin]I'm going to pretend you're the New York Knicks![/Meg Griffin]

OUDoc
5/9/2008, 10:32 AM
I think it looks pretty damn good. :O

tommieharris91
5/9/2008, 10:37 AM

I didn't think she did anything with hot dogs. :confused:

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2008, 10:42 AM
mmm...somebody brought up the chicken fried bacon again.....

Okla-homey
5/9/2008, 10:52 AM
I didn't think she did anything with hot dogs. :confused:

more likely zuchinni, or Hickory Farms' beef sticks.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2008, 10:53 AM
Please Homey stop.....please

tommieharris91
5/9/2008, 10:59 AM
Uhhh... I thought Rosie O'Donnell didn't do anything with phallic objects...

mdklatt
5/9/2008, 10:59 AM
I am a Braums fan. But this? I don't get it. It's weenies split lengthwise, on a hamburger bun, with chili and cheese. My question is; why?

IMHO, Braums is dabbling in the unholy science of food item merging. Chili Dogs must remain separate from burgers and/or Sloppy Joes.

It's not food item merging, it's just a different kind of bun. A much more practical bun. It is impossible to eat a chili dog on a hotdog bun without making a mess.

frankensooner
5/9/2008, 11:08 AM
They gave me name rights since I have been giving them so much publicity of late.

Pricetag
5/9/2008, 02:02 PM
It's not food item merging, it's just a different kind of bun. A much more practical bun. It is impossible to eat a chili dog on a hotdog bun without making a mess.
This may be true, but how do you figure a hamburger bun is more practical? A hot dog bun has exactly two places that stuff can fall out from, the front and the back. The hamburger bun is open all the way around.

Vaevictis
5/9/2008, 02:05 PM
Heh, it's more practical because Braums already stocks hamburger buns.

They probably decided that they wanted to start selling hot dogs, and then realized that if they split them lengthwise and slapped em on a hamburger bun, they could save a bunch of money.

OUDoc
5/9/2008, 02:09 PM
Quit hating on the dogs. :mad:

mdklatt
5/9/2008, 02:15 PM
This may be true, but how do you figure a hamburger bun is more practical? A hot dog bun has exactly two places that stuff can fall out from, the front and the back. The hamburger bun is open all the way around.

In the frankenburger, the chili has the entire surface area of the bun to hold it in place. In a chili dog, there's nothing holding the chili in place, and you have to tilt both the chili dog and your head sideways in order to eat it.

King Crimson
5/9/2008, 02:20 PM
In the frankenburger, the chili has the entire surface area of the bun to hold it in place. In a chili dog, there's nothing holding the chili in place, and you have to tilt both the chili dog and your head sideways in order to eat it.

the problem is the sliced franks try and slide out of the bun shaped bread delivery medium. they are 4 separate entities. the chili factor is secondary, IMO. at minimum, you need both hands positioned on the outsides of the bun in a sliced frank containment strategy.

Turd_Ferguson
5/9/2008, 02:22 PM
the problem is the sliced franks try and slide out of the bun shaped bread delivery medium. they are 4 separate entities. the chili factor is secondary, IMO. at minimum, you need both hands positioned on the outsides of the bun in a sliced frank containment strategy.The franks are left "hinged" on one side, so technically you only have two weiners try'n to slide out. I had no prob with the weiner slid'n out, it was the chili that kept my nakkin busy.

mdklatt
5/9/2008, 02:25 PM
the problem is the sliced franks try and slide out of the bun shaped bread delivery medium. they are 4 separate entities. the chili factor is secondary, IMO. at minimum, you need both hands positioned on the outsides of the bun in a sliced frank containment strategy.

Have you tried one or is this conjecture? I had a chicken sandwich once that had that problem. It wasn't a single piece of chicken but three chicken tenders. It was almost impossible to eat. It didn't help that the chicken tenders were overcooked and were like trying to bite through leather.

mdklatt
5/9/2008, 02:26 PM
I had no prob with the weiner slid'n out

n/m

King Crimson
5/9/2008, 02:29 PM
Have you tried one or is this conjecture? I had a chicken sandwich once that had that problem. It wasn't a single piece of chicken but three chicken tenders. It was almost impossible to eat. It didn't help that the chicken tenders were overcooked and were like trying to bite through leather.

haven't tried the Braums version, but in my first post i mentioned i used to order something similar at a place in Norman. Part 2 of that story is i used to make the same thing at home once i got old enough where i didn't need a babysitter. i'd slice the franks and grill them on a flat skillet and make sammies. my recollection is that when you put pressure on the bun while biting the weenies start to sliced in different directions and always towards the circumference of the bun. this, along with nachos, the first two "dishes" i ever learned to make. the experience is close to my heart.

sooner_born_1960
5/9/2008, 02:37 PM
I'd hit it like a double cheeseburger. Or double chilidog burger, or whatever.

SoonerJack
5/9/2008, 02:58 PM
and not a single, "that's what she said" in this whole thread.

Chuck Bao
5/9/2008, 03:15 PM
I'm of the philosophy the messier the better. I'll take a little more sauce, gravy, chilli, curry, thank you very much.

Double bonus if you can eat the messy meal with your hands.

Merging food groups just makes a guilty pleasure so much better. A BigMac with spicy green curry dripping off all around is the best. But, I'm not ever saying no to a huge dollop of cottage cheese on the BigMac or salsa. I also like a little bleu cheese or a little wasabi on my basic BigMac.

And, that's another thing. I rate restaurants by the number of stains I get on my shirt during the course of the meal. A three stain restaurant is most excellent.

crawfish
5/9/2008, 03:45 PM

Add some dipping gravy and I'm sooooooo there.

Pricetag
5/9/2008, 03:49 PM
I'm of the philosophy the messier the better. I'll take a little more sauce, gravy, chilli, curry, thank you very much.

Double bonus if you can eat the messy meal with your hands.

Merging food groups just makes a guilty pleasure so much better. A BigMac with spicy green curry dripping off all around is the best. But, I'm not ever saying no to a huge dollop of cottage cheese on the BigMac or salsa. I also like a little bleu cheese or a little wasabi on my basic BigMac.

And, that's another thing. I rate restaurants by the number of stains I get on my shirt during the course of the meal. A three stain restaurant is most excellent.
So, you're the person that Carl's Jr. is marketing to.

PhilTLL
5/9/2008, 05:40 PM
Charcoal Oven has long served Johnnie's-style broiled and quartered franks. Schwab's, I think, or some similarly bright red brand. Don't know if they serve chili.

StoopTroup
5/9/2008, 08:13 PM
My idea for fortune cookie nachos to go is really starting to take off.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2008, 02:14 PM
thats why i am against that bowl KFC makes with every item on their menu mixed together.....

When I go to Braums for lunch, they shall receive my wrath

In the past 2 days, I have had both the KFC bowl thing and the Braums's frank sammich...

AND I LOVED THEM BOTH!

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2008, 02:54 PM
Wait.

They're putting chili and cheese on a hot dog and serving it in a container that's easy to eat without utensils?

And you're asking why?

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2008, 02:54 PM
Probably a decent thread to mention that I'm now down 45 pounds since Juneish.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2008, 04:22 PM
congrats..now go eat!

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2008, 04:43 PM
Aaand my BP is down to 111/70.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2008, 04:44 PM
with the meds?

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah, though I think I may ask to go off of them at this point. Particularly if my weight continues to drop.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2008, 04:49 PM
You know I've dropped from 255 to 230 this year, cholesterol is down from 370 to 210(no meds), but the bp thing is still a pain in the butt..