PDA

View Full Version : TRRW and more troubling news

sooneriniowa
5/9/2008, 08:16 AM
Greg Ellis comments regarding TRRW (http://http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/nfl/cowboys/stories/MYSA.050908_Cowboys.en.e0b7a75a.html)

NFL: Ellis says Williams not comfortable in Cowboys' scheme

Web Posted: 05/08/2008 10:15 PM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams has doubts about whether he fits into Coach Wade Phillips’ scheme and has been isolating himself from his teammates, defensive end Greg Ellis said Thursday.

Ellis told Sirius NFL Radio that Williams’ concerns about his place in Phillips’ version of the 3-4 defense surfaced last summer at training camp in San Antonio.

“He said, ‘Greg, this defense does not fit me. I don’t fit in well with this defense at all,’ ” the Dallas Morning News’ Web site quoted Ellis as saying. “So when he told me that, I was like, ‘Well, man, it’s still new. Get used to it, and it’ll probably be fine for you.’ And, obviously, I think it came to be true. Just like he said, he doesn’t fit what’s going on here in Dallas right now.’ ”

Ellis expressed optimism that Williams will feel more comfortable this season, while also suggesting the Cowboys could trade the former Oklahoma star.

“Now maybe this year, if they decide to keep him for this season, Wade and them will kind of adjust some things to fit him better,” Ellis said.

Williams’ uncertainty isn’t the only thing that concerns Ellis. He said Williams has been working out at the team’s training facility in Irving early in the morning and leaves before his teammates arrive.

The Cowboys tried to move Williams closer to the line of scrimmage last season to take advantage of his hitting ability, but that plan hit a snag when cornerbacks Terence Newman and Anthony Henry suffered injuries.

Later in the season, Phillips kept Williams on the sidelines as much as possible in obvious passing situations. Williams has struggled throughout his career in pass coverage.

Despite recording just two interceptions and failing to notch either a sack or a forced fumble, Williams was named to the NFC Pro Bowl roster a fifth-straight time last season.

boomersooner28
5/9/2008, 08:20 AM
Ever since the 3-4 came to Dallas with Parcells, TRRW has been out of sync. I don't think the 3-4 fits Roy very well. Trade him. It would be good for both sides, imo.

badger
5/9/2008, 10:33 AM
trade him to the Packers

sooner94
5/9/2008, 10:43 AM
While it does seem like TRRW was better suited to the 4-3 than the 3-4, I think the real issue is the guys in the secondary.

Early in his career, he had Woodson (one of the best DBs in the last 15 years IMO) at the other safety position. While Woodson was late in his career, he was a very solid player that was never out of position. Since Woodson retired, its been a revolving door of less than mediocre players at FS that are out of position on a lot of plays. And it seems like the last few years, at least one corner has been below average due to injuries or personnel.

That being said, I wish he would have a better attitude about things. Hoping that the ball is not thrown his way isn't going to help.

And remember, the team did go 13-3 last year. Maybe I wear the crimson colored glasses (I definitely do), but I think TRRW can turn things around.

soonerfan28
5/9/2008, 11:00 AM
Move him to inside LB.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/9/2008, 11:04 AM
I think greg ellis should just worry about himself

sooneron
5/9/2008, 11:12 AM
Why in hades is a player pondering the trade of another teammate on the air? Poor form, imo.

badger
5/9/2008, 11:12 AM

Give a guy a Pro Bowl appearance and Comeback Player of the Year and he suddenly thinks he's the studly first rounder and Big Man on Campus he used to be at... UNC :D

He should be used to be second in the spotlight, both to TRRW and to UNC Basketball. He should also be used to being second-mentioned, because he was only a SUBSTITUTE Pro Bowl selection and Lombardi Award FINALIST. Not an actual winner of either, but a SUB and a FINALIST. Bleh.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dVJdQb5B30Gm/340x.jpg
Greg Ellis pictured here showing what happens when he plays with matches.

In conclusion, TRRW > Greg Ellis, because TRRW is an actual award WINNER, and a MULTIPLE award winner and has had far too many good seasons to be considered for a (snicker snicker) comeback player award.

soonersn20xx
5/9/2008, 07:29 PM
I am thinking it might be best if he did go to another team with a different defensive scheme.

goingoneight
5/10/2008, 10:04 AM
From everything I've heard and listening awhile back to him talking with Jim Traber on the radio, it seems like the guy is just getting burnt out. It's sad when you think about what a great player he really is and is capable of being there. There was a time when he was the best player on Dalla's team, and one of the best DBs in the NFL. The whole religion deal awhile back where he said he gave his life to Christ (while I know many will get all ****y about this) made him a lot different person. Some people just can't bring themselves to be that intense anymore after that kind of lifestyle change. Add in the fact that the coaches fly in and out like a revolving door, new systems, new schemes, new youger guys playing, and the most important factor that none of us are getting any younger... it seems to me like as much as I hate saying this... he's probably not only going to be out of Dallas before long, but out of the league. And one thing I do know about Roy is that he ain't having any part of Canada or Arena football... if he gets traded and has so much as one bad year, even on the worst team in the NFL... he'll be gone if he doesn't magically catch on like Greg Ellis was saying this year.

47straight
5/10/2008, 05:15 PM
I'd be jaded too if I led the team in interceptions (2 seasons ago now, as a ****ing strong safety) and have to put up with the bull**** that he does.

badger
5/10/2008, 05:22 PM
I'd be jaded too if I led the team in interceptions (2 seasons ago now, as a ****ing strong safety) and have to put up with the bull**** that he does.

Roy Williams is a wonderful person and a terrific strong safety. He has had tremendous success at the collegiate and professional level and it is hard to hear anything negative about him in D-town, despite all of the championships and winning traditions to be remembered for the Cowboys.

But now, he should play for the Packers.

sooneriniowa
5/12/2008, 08:26 AM
Follow Up Story (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/051108dnspocowlede.3a26947.html)

Williams, Dallas Cowboys defensive coaches clear the air

Pro Bowler says he feels better about his role after meeting

05:58 PM CDT on Sunday, May 11, 2008
By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

Defensive coordinator Brian Stewart and safeties coach Brett Maxie summoned Pro Bowl strong safety Roy Williams to Valley Ranch for a meeting Friday to talk about his commitment to the Cowboys.

Williams said he was happy with the 90-minute meeting and has confidence he will find a comfort zone in the Cowboys' defense.

Two weeks ago, Williams said he has been trying to find a comfort level in the 3-4 defense. He repeated the stance Saturday, but said the meeting with the coaches told him his involvement in the defense will increase.

VERNON BRYANT / DMN
Roy Williams has 19 interceptions in six seasons with the Dallas Cowboys.
View larger More photos Photo store "The communication was not there last year," Williams said. "We recognized the problem, and we talked about it. And we're going to move forward now. We have a better understanding."

The coaches saw two things that prompted the meeting.

Williams missed two days of teaching sessions at Valley Ranch last week to finalize plans for his Roy Williams Safety Net Foundation pre-Mother's Day event for single mothers. The event was Saturday.

Then, Maxie and Stewart read comments from veteran outside linebacker Greg Ellis saying Williams appears to isolate himself from teammates during workouts.

Williams said he loves his teammates and wants to play for the Cowboys. He said he concentrates better by himself during weightlifting and running.

"I appreciate what Greg did, but at the same time, I'm a grown man, too, and I can speak for myself," said Williams, who still considers Ellis a friend. "If I want to be heard, I will be heard."

Last week, Ellis said he was trying to defend Williams against negative comments from fans who don't believe the strong safety is still a good player. Williams likes to interact with fans and posed for pictures with some Saturday at the event. But life with fans can be tricky.

"I'm tired about worrying about the fans," Williams said. "The fans are only around when things are good. I want supporters. At the end of the day, we're human beings, too. Everything can't be perfect, and you can't let your emotions rule over you being a human being. It gets to a point where you are abusing who you really are as a fan."

During the meeting Stewart and Maxie questioned Williams based on Ellis' comments.

"There was nothing wrong," Williams said. "You miss two days, and you see that stuff in the paper. And they say, 'what's really going on?' "

the_ouskull
5/12/2008, 08:57 AM
Roy's biggest issues with his coverage aren't his own. If the Cowboys had anybody that was worth a crap in their defensive backfield, and any linebackers that were at least somewhat useful in coverage, then he wouldn't have to be out of position so often. Almost every time he gets burned on a deep ball, it looks to me like it happened because he was covering someone else's blown assignment. Maybe a change of scenery WOULD be good for him. Ravens, anybody...?

the_ouskull

SoonerRecon
5/12/2008, 11:50 AM
Roy's biggest issues with his coverage aren't his own. If the Cowboys had anybody that was worth a crap in their defensive backfield, and any linebackers that were at least somewhat useful in coverage, then he wouldn't have to be out of position so often. Almost every time he gets burned on a deep ball, it looks to me like it happened because he was covering someone else's blown assignment. Maybe a change of scenery WOULD be good for him. Ravens, anybody...?

the_ouskull

I don't what game your watching, TRRW is the mismatch that every coordinator looks to exploit, he is too short and slow to provide man coverage on 90% of the WR's in the NFL. since his religious conversion, he has completely insulated himself from the players, coaches, fans, and media. If he does play for the Cowboys this season, it will be his last.

Animal Mother
5/12/2008, 04:20 PM

DING! DING! DING!
We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!

Animal Mother
5/12/2008, 04:25 PM
I don't what game your watching, TRRW is the mismatch that every coordinator looks to exploit, he is too short and slow to provide man coverage on 90% of the WR's in the NFL. since his religious conversion, he has completely insulated himself from the players, coaches, fans, and media. If he does play for the Cowboys this season, it will be his last.

INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soonersn20xx
5/12/2008, 11:16 PM
Well, I think the coordinators need to decide how he is gonna play. If he is gonna be a run supporter or spy in the backfield or a coverage guy.

Now I have always believed his playing weight has hindered his coverage, and if his role is such on the field..........he needs to drop about 15 lbs.

Blue
5/12/2008, 11:23 PM
The Saints will take him. I don't think we have a secondary.

the_ouskull
5/13/2008, 03:24 PM

Whose watching?

Anyway... Roy has never been sold, or tried to sell himself, as a coverage safety. He DOES have good hands, and he DOES have good ball instincts. However, when the corners aren't able to turn the receivers to where they're supposed to turn them, and the other safety gets caught by play action, what, exactly, would you, in your moderate wisdom, suggest that he do? Lay down? No, he's going to run back and try to help deep, even when it's not his assignment, because Roy cares about winning. Coordinators know that Roy isn't incredibly fast, and they also know that taking a running play to his side might be the dumbest thing that they've done recently. Teams use a lot more play action against the Cowboys because of the weaknesses in their secondary, and because of the fact that their D-line (and for all of you 'Boys fans out there, spare me the, "I don't know what you're talking about, the Cowboys' line dominates," etc... comments...) gets very little pressure on opposing QB's. (Only 15 of the team's 46 sacks last year came from defensive linemen...) Play action allows opposing offenses to freeze both the secondary, AND the linebackers, which are far and away the strength of Dallas' defense. (Ellis and Ware alone combined for 26.5 sacks, or almost twice as many as ALL defensive linemen...)

...and yes, I'm aware that the 3/4 defense is a defense that allows the linebackers to make plays, and yes, I'm aware that Dallas' defensive ends and tackles are intended to be 2-gap type players rather than playmakers, but the fact remains that teams are able to abuse Dallas' defensive line. (They have one player, Junior Siavii, who weighs over 300 pounds at 330, but he didn't see the field all year. In a 3/4 defense, you need bigger tackles, or at least stronger tackles, and Dallas really has neither... Their picking up and playing Tank Johnson is all of the proof I need there. Also, their ends have the right size, but are lacking in what we like to refer to as "the football skills...")

So, back to the original point, Roy Williams is a very, very good football player, but he is NOT on a team that plays well to his strengths. However, if the Ravens were somehow able to pair him and Ed Reed (and Chris McAlester, etc...) together, I'm pretty sure that I'd crap myself getting to watch him play the way he should be playing again...

...but that's just my opinion of his spot in Dallas' defense. I haven't really done much research on the topic; I haven't "been watching the right games," I guess.

the_ouskull

JLB
5/13/2008, 05:15 PM
OU Skull hit the nail right on the head.I love TRRW and I hate people slandering him.
The media are just trying to find a scapegoat for a defense that is really subpar.

badger
5/13/2008, 05:19 PM
This just in... Roy Williams to Packers, Packers win Super Bowl, Cowboys shrink to mediocrity from giving up 70 points per game, like the Chicago Bears in reverse. Jerry Jones has trouble selling out Jerryworld, fires yet another coach. However, Tony Romo's girlfriends are still as hot and famous as ever. TO cries tears of unfathomable sadness. Pacman Jones becomes new diva receiver. Greg What's-His-Face does NOT win Comeback Player of the Year, does NOT go to the Pro Bowl and gets cut before preseason starts. Drew Rosenhaus laughs.

Ruuuuuufus
5/13/2008, 11:40 PM
Well, I think the coordinators need to decide how he is gonna play. If he is gonna be a run supporter or spy in the backfield or a coverage guy.

To play safety well you have to be good at both run support and coverage.

the_ouskull
5/14/2008, 10:50 AM
...and to play defense well, you have to be able to trust your teammates. Roy can't do that because his teammates aren't worthy of said trust. When that rubbernecked kid from K-State is your best corner, then yeah, you're going to have problems in your secondary. It's hard to play deep coverage in a Cover 2 or Cover 3 package when you're also being counted on for run support due to the lack of a defensive line. I don't blame Roy. I think that, with the exception of his (recent) attitude, and the fact that he's gained some weight, probably due to being upset with recent developments in Dallas on the defensive side of the ball, Roy is the same player that we had the honor of seeing for 3 years in Crimson and Cream. The guy that was deserving of at least being INVITED to the Downtown Athletic Club. The guy that covers 1/3 of the Earth. Remember THAT guy?

the_ouskull

Curly Bill
5/14/2008, 11:00 AM
...and to play defense well, you have to be able to trust your teammates. Roy can't do that because his teammates aren't worthy of said trust. When that rubbernecked kid from K-State is your best corner, then yeah, you're going to have problems in your secondary. It's hard to play deep coverage in a Cover 2 or Cover 3 package when you're also being counted on for run support due to the lack of a defensive line. I don't blame Roy. I think that, with the exception of his (recent) attitude, and the fact that he's gained some weight, probably due to being upset with recent developments in Dallas on the defensive side of the ball, Roy is the same player that we had the honor of seeing for 3 years in Crimson and Cream. The guy that was deserving of at least being INVITED to the Downtown Athletic Club. The guy that covers 1/3 of the Earth. Remember THAT guy?

the_ouskull

I remember him, but I don't think the current version of Roy is living up to the version of the one we had. Partly the Cowboy's fault, but also largely Roy's fault. I mean the guy is a defensive back and he can't cover anyone -- that's a problem.

the_ouskull
5/15/2008, 10:09 AM
Let's put him on a team where he trusts the rest of the defensive secondary, and I think we'll see that his cover skills are better than he's been getting credit for... still not great by any means, as he's not fast relative to the speed of most receivers and deep TE's in the NFL, but better than people are giving him credit for, to be sure.

the_ouskull

OklahomaRed
5/15/2008, 10:24 AM
Skull hit the nail on the head. :D

Curly Bill
5/15/2008, 11:25 AM
Let's put him on a team where he trusts the rest of the defensive secondary, and I think we'll see that his cover skills are better than he's been getting credit for... still not great by any means, as he's not fast relative to the speed of most receivers and deep TE's in the NFL, but better than people are giving him credit for, to be sure.

the_ouskull

At this point how much does the rest of the defensive secondary trust him? I'm not saying that our other secondary guys are the NFL's best, but it makes me nervous every time a ball is thrown over the middle because I expect they're throwing at Roy, and I expect to see him beat by a step or two. I wish I didn't expect that, but that's what has come to be.

SoonerInKCMO
5/15/2008, 02:52 PM
Packers win Super Bowl

Know how I know you're drunk? ;)

SoonerRecon
5/15/2008, 05:31 PM
i love TRRW as much as the next guy. he's still friends with my brother even after becoming a Sooner Legend and an NFL Pro Bowler, but that doesn't change the fact that he is near retirement. once they took away his horse collar tackle, it changed his game.

trusting his teammates? dallas coaches started pulling him off the field during any obvious passing downs last year. enjoy watching him in his last year of the pros.

StoopTroup
5/15/2008, 06:22 PM
Ellis was probably getting better because of watching TRRW workout and now he's unable to get to the gym early enough for a few pointers.

What a little B*tch! :D

badger
5/15/2008, 07:31 PM
Know how I know you're drunk? ;)

(cue Jerry Springer music)

You don't know me! You don't know me!

And APPARENTLY, you don't know the Packers either, who have won MORE TITLES than ANY other NFL team in NFL history!

(cue spanking music)

Who's the beyonce? Who's the beyonce now, beyonce?!?!

;)

SoonerinSouthlake
5/15/2008, 08:21 PM
as a Sooner fan who still remembers TRRW as Superman..its frustrating to see his problems in Dallas. Whether its scheme, team mates or coaches...the guy is seen as a target for opposing offenses...Jeremy Shockey abuses him every time they play the Gents.... Now that the 'Boys have 'the criminal' on the team..along with the kid from Florida who is supposed to be a stud at corner, Im willing to bet you will see more of the Man of Steel this year

....at least I hope!!!

the_ouskull
5/17/2008, 05:06 PM
If not, then yeah, this could be Roy's last giddyup in Dallas. So be it. I'd like to see him wearing either Giants (sorry) or Ravens gear..

the_ouskull

Civicus_Sooner
5/17/2008, 06:49 PM
There are plenty of teams with good corners that wish they could have Roy on their team.