PDA

View Full Version : Atheism

My Opinion Matters
5/8/2008, 12:33 PM
"In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded".

proud gonzo
5/8/2008, 12:51 PM
yay for drawing a tard-line from religion to science!

Widescreen
5/8/2008, 12:58 PM
Hmm. Never really thought of it that way.

OklahomaRed
5/8/2008, 12:58 PM
Here we go again. :eek:

Boomer.....
5/8/2008, 12:59 PM
A marine was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. One of the courses had a professor who was an avowed atheist and a member of the ACLU.

One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, 'God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15 minutes.' The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, 'Here I am God. I'm still waiting.' It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and cold-cocked him; knocking him off the platform.

The professor was out cold. The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently. The other students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in silence. The professor eventually came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked, 'What the heck is the matter with you? Why did you do that?' The Marine calmly replied, 'God was too busy today protecting the soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid stuff and act like an idiot. So, He sent me.'

OklahomaRed
5/8/2008, 01:02 PM
Boom...... He asked for it. :D

OKLA21FAN
5/8/2008, 01:05 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!.................... .............

............................................ head shot

Fraggle145
5/8/2008, 01:12 PM
I just dont understand the hate for people who are atheists (i.e., like me for example)

what is the big deal? Why cant you just accept we believe differently?

We arent all pricks like the professor in your example.

SoonerProphet
5/8/2008, 01:18 PM
Snopes it...sounds like poppycock to me. Maybe God would represent the jarhead in court.

soonerinabilene
5/8/2008, 01:18 PM
I just dont understand the hate for people who are atheists (i.e., like me for example)

Because it is our job as Christians to hate people. Sorry.;)

stoops the eternal pimp
5/8/2008, 01:29 PM
wow

OklahomaRed
5/8/2008, 01:35 PM

??????????? :confused:

I don't hate atheist. I feel that they have as much right to believe and practice their beliefs as I do. I only get irritated by atheist who feel that they have to push their beliefs, or restrict me in my personal life. I think where the problems arise are in the public sector where it is often difficult to separate personal life from public life due to chronological, space, legal, or financial issues. It is there that you and I both should be able to practice without hopefully not getting on each other's nerves too much. That's where the trouble usually occurs when both parties can not agree on a happy medium. :D

For example. In the example above (I am quite sure it never happened), the professor had no right to stand up in front of the class and mock God. He had to know that it could result in, at a minimum, some hard feelings. The marine, acting as an agent of the God he believed in, took matters into his own hands; which is very biblical. The professor had basically trampled on the marine's personal space & beliefs.

SoonerInKCMO
5/8/2008, 01:45 PM
Ok... this might get revved up now. I'm holding out hope for a flame war. :crossfingers:

stoops the eternal pimp
5/8/2008, 01:48 PM
t minus countdown to lockdown

SoonerProphet
5/8/2008, 01:51 PM
Its biblical for humans to take Gods actions into their own hands...sounds like hubris to me.

OklahomaRed
5/8/2008, 01:53 PM
To clarify. The professor has a right to teach evolution and the science that supports that theory; however, he does not have to right to stand in a government supported public sector and mock any religion. Now, if it was a private university, then that's up to the university's own beliefs and ethics.

trey
5/8/2008, 01:53 PM
rocks

OklahomaRed
5/8/2008, 01:54 PM
Its biblical for humans to take Gods actions into their own hands...sounds like hubris to me.

Think about it. God told Moses to free the Israelites from Egypt. Moses is well known among the Jewish and Christian faithful for obeying God's command.

My Opinion Matters
5/8/2008, 01:55 PM
Ok... this might get revved up now. I'm holding out hope for a flame war. :crossfingers:

This.

SoonerProphet
5/8/2008, 01:56 PM
What if it was a philosophy class. The marine has the right to assault this guy in the name of God? Sounds very Christian.

OKLA21FAN
5/8/2008, 01:59 PM
Think about it. God told Moses to free the Israelites from Egypt. Moses is well known among the Jewish and Christian faithful for obeying God's command.

and then this guy closed on the dealio
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/6/6c/250px-Edward_G_Robinson_in_The_Ten_Commandments_film_tra iler.jpg
"we're gunna need an idol seeeeeeeeee, and golden bull, seeeeeeee"

SoonerProphet
5/8/2008, 02:00 PM

There is a bit of a difference between listening to a burning bush and assuming the will of god.

OKLA21FAN
5/8/2008, 02:01 PM
There is a bit of a difference between listening to a burning bush and assuming the will of god.

or a 900 foot Jesus!

(but hey, it works.....i guess)

mdklatt
5/8/2008, 02:19 PM
I only get irritated by atheist who feel that they have to push their beliefs, or restrict me in my personal life.

I hope you're not a Republican.

soonerscuba
5/8/2008, 02:27 PM
Clapton is God.

soonermix
5/8/2008, 03:00 PM
Foley is God.

Boomer.....
5/8/2008, 03:04 PM
I am a golden god!

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/6809/goldengodkd6.jpg

sooneron
5/8/2008, 03:07 PM
or a 900 foot Jesus!

(but hey, it works.....i guess)

Ixl6H9C5lt0

:gary:

stoopified
5/8/2008, 03:46 PM
A marine was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. One of the courses had a professor who was an avowed atheist and a member of the ACLU.

One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, 'God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15 minutes.' The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, 'Here I am God. I'm still waiting.' It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and cold-cocked him; knocking him off the platform.

The professor was out cold. The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently. The other students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in silence. The professor eventually came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked, 'What the heck is the matter with you? Why did you do that?' The Marine calmly replied, 'God was too busy today protecting the soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid stuff and act like an idiot. So, He sent me.'
Two big thumbs up on that one.

mdklatt
5/8/2008, 03:49 PM
Two big thumbs up on that one.

Hooray for violence in the name of God! Allahu akhbar!

r5TPsooner
5/8/2008, 03:52 PM
If there wasn't a creator of the heaven and earth then there is no way that my life could be as good as it is.

Just my .02.

Animal Mother
5/8/2008, 03:53 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.

This thread is bi-secular.

You college types have too much time. In the 70s we only had enough time to get high and sleep, not argue about...... What were we talking about?

stoopified
5/8/2008, 03:54 PM
Hooray for violence in the name of God! Allahu akhbar!You eqaute a punch to suicide bombings?

mdklatt
5/8/2008, 03:56 PM
You eqaute a punch to suicide bombings?

Silly me, the Ten Commandments only prohibit murder don't they? I guess merely jacking somebody up is perfectly Christian.

trey
5/8/2008, 04:01 PM
If there wasn't a creator of the heaven and earth then there is no way that my life could be as good as it is.

Just my .02.

if this is true, does it also mean that the creator of heaven and earth doesn't like people with miserable lives? ie. a child dying of cancer.

My Opinion Matters
5/8/2008, 04:18 PM
The crest is about to break.

soonerscuba
5/8/2008, 04:50 PM
The crest is about to break.
That's what happens when you squeeze from the middle.

Fraggle145
5/8/2008, 04:55 PM

I don't hate atheist. I feel that they have as much right to believe and practice their beliefs as I do. I only get irritated by atheist who feel that they have to push their beliefs, or restrict me in my personal life. I think where the problems arise are in the public sector where it is often difficult to separate personal life from public life due to chronological, space, legal, or financial issues. It is there that you and I both should be able to practice without hopefully not getting on each other's nerves too much. That's where the trouble usually occurs when both parties can not agree on a happy medium. :D

For example. In the example above (I am quite sure it never happened), the professor had no right to stand up in front of the class and mock God. He had to know that it could result in, at a minimum, some hard feelings. The marine, acting as an agent of the God he believed in, took matters into his own hands; which is very biblical. The professor had basically trampled on the marine's personal space & beliefs.

Man I have had this argument/discussion way too many times... Posting that in an of itself was a slight to atheism. Would it be anymore right if I went and cold-cocked the dumbass preacher that pretty much damns everyone on the south oval to hell every spring just because of what he was saying?

That example basically says atheists deserve to get punched in the face for stating their beliefs. It also goes on to paint academics as elitist *******s and then ties in a Marine just to make you feel all patriotic, blue-collar and good on the inside.

Anyway arguing from your example the professor said something out of line, then he should be reported to the ethics committee or whomever... Not hit in the face. And the marine who hit him in the face should be charged with assault. The whole thing is asinine.

It double ****es me off because I teach at OU and I am an atheist. :mad:

Also, mdklatt is right the parallel between committing acts of violence based on your religion no matter which one is a relevant point.

Sooner_Havok
5/8/2008, 05:19 PM
Where the hell did this come from? Really? I am an atheist, and I never once have tried to talk people out of their religious beliefs. On the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I have politely taken the pamphlet that said I was an idiot bound for the lake of fire. Just the other day someone handed me the "Atheists are evil" pamphlet outside Bizzell. I took it, let the guy give me his spiel about why bananas prove the existence of god, and why atheists are horrible sub humans. I never told him I was an atheist, or tried to persuade him that god doesn't exist. I have never looked down on someone because the belief in a god, but I have been countlessly told I am no better than some retarded monkey.

From my experiences it seems that atheists don't try to convince others that their religion is wrong, but others try to proselytize them and get angry when we refute what they are telling us. My $.02

Turd_Ferguson
5/8/2008, 05:32 PM
Also, mdklatt is right the parallel between committing acts of violence based on your religion no matter which one is a relevant point.What if they are a minority athiest? Should they have special rules?

Sooner_Havok
5/8/2008, 05:36 PM
What if they are a minority athiest? Should they have special rules?

Why, are atheists different than theists?

SoonerInKCMO
5/8/2008, 05:43 PM
I took it, let the guy give me his spiel about why bananas prove the existence of god

Man, you shoulda at least told him about that youtube video with slides telling about humans' breeding of bananas interspersed throughout a video of Mike Seaver talking about bananas proving the existence of god.

Fraggle145
5/8/2008, 05:46 PM
Where the hell did this come from? Really? I am an atheist, and I never once have tried to talk people out of their religious beliefs. On the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I have politely taken the pamphlet that said I was an idiot bound for the lake of fire. Just the other day someone handed me the "Atheists are evil" pamphlet outside Bizzell. I took it, let the guy give me his spiel about why bananas prove the existence of god, and why atheists are horrible sub humans. I never told him I was an atheist, or tried to persuade him that god doesn't exist. I have never looked down on someone because the belief in a god, but I have been countlessly told I am no better than some retarded monkey.

From my experiences it seems that atheists don't try to convince others that their religion is wrong, but others try to proselytize them and get angry when we refute what they are telling us. My $.02

This happens to me all the time. :(

Sooner_Havok
5/8/2008, 05:51 PM
Man, you shoulda at least told him about that youtube video with slides telling about humans' breeding of bananas interspersed throughout a video of Mike Seaver talking about bananas proving the existence of god.

Eh. Don't get me wrong, I love to **** with people, but I tend to let sleeping dogs lie when it comes to that stuff. I know they aren't going to change my mind, I know I'm not going to change theirs, so I just act like the bigger person, take the insults, and carry on with my day.

shaun4411
5/8/2008, 05:54 PM

we atheists feel the same way about overbearing christians who feel it is their duty to tell us why they are christian, why its good for them, and why it would be good for me.

So, if a professor was having a bad day and sat at his desk and said a prayer that the whole class heard, and a few atheists got upset and offended at his public prayer, would you condone a similar course of action that the marine took?

Turd_Ferguson
5/8/2008, 05:57 PM
we atheists feel the same way about overbearing christians who feel it is their duty to tell us why they are christian, why its good for them, and why it would be good for me.?God tell's us to preach his word. Who tell's you to preach your's?

SoonerBorn68
5/8/2008, 05:59 PM
God tell's us to preach his word. Who tell's you to preach your's?

A monkey.

Sooner_Havok
5/8/2008, 06:00 PM

A monkey.

Nice.

SoonerBorn68
5/8/2008, 06:02 PM
Dude, that was like a free shot...I had to take it. :D

Sooner_Havok
5/8/2008, 06:03 PM
:(

SoonerBorn68
5/8/2008, 06:06 PM
Sorry Havok, my shot was intended for Fraggle.

Viking Kitten
5/8/2008, 06:07 PM

Can we please get off religion and discuss the use of apostrophes, plurals, possessives and s**t like that for a while? This post is making my eyes itch.

shaun4411
5/8/2008, 06:08 PM

not my god. so you doing your thing because your god says so is paramount to you pushing your belief on me. my belief doesnt include me listening to the same ole spiel from every christian i meet. if i say "ive heard it before, not interested", and you stop, that's fine. you have 0 interest in hearing about how atheism has enriched my life. goes both ways.

Sooner_Havok
5/8/2008, 06:10 PM
Can we please get off religion and discuss the use of apostrophes, plurals, possessives and s**t like that for a while? This post is making my eyes itch.

My classics professor would be hella ****ed right now. He dropped me 3 points on my final paper for concluding my last sentence with a preposition. Bight me Professor Hanson, I was tired! :D

SoonerInKCMO
5/8/2008, 06:11 PM

Preach it sister!

Viking Kitten
5/8/2008, 06:15 PM
My classics professor would be hella ****ed right now. He dropped me 3 points on my final paper for concluding my last sentence with a preposition. Bight me Professor Hanson, I was tired! :D

One day, Sooner_Havoc paid a visit to the Harvard campus. He asked a passing student, "Pardon me, can you tell me where the library is at?"

The student, in his haughtiest voice said, "Excuse me sir, this is Harvard and we don't end sentences in prepositions here."

Sooner_Havoc replied, "Oh, I'm dreadfully sorry. Can you please tell me where the library is at, a**hole?"

Sooner_Havok
5/8/2008, 06:18 PM
:D

swardboy
5/8/2008, 06:23 PM
If there is no God, there is no right or wrong.

shaun4411
5/8/2008, 07:50 PM
who made the rule where you cant end a sentence in a preposition, is?

yermom
5/8/2008, 08:01 PM
Preach it, sister!

fixed.

Viking Kitten
5/8/2008, 08:24 PM
If there is no God, there is no right or wrong.

So you're saying you behave according to a certain moral code only because you're afraid you'll go to hell otherwise?

def_lazer_fc
5/8/2008, 08:29 PM
unless i read a story about a god that wrote ten rules on a couple pieces of stone, i will just assume that murder is a okay. which reminds me...i haven't killed in, jeez, like 2 hours! brb

C&CDean
5/8/2008, 08:31 PM
Alls I know is that if I didn't believe in God, I'd have already killed about 3/4 of you mother****ers.

swardboy
5/8/2008, 08:32 PM
I'm coming from the other end....if we're here only by random chaos, then there is no basis for morality. I agree with C.S. Lewis that the concept of a moral code is evidence of God.

"Perfect love casts out fear" I John 4....Hell may have caught my attention, but His love won me over. The "hound of heaven" pursued me out of love...I John 4 also says "God is love." No, I don't behave the way I do out of fear anymore.

Now leave me alone..."Lost" is coming on. :D

tommieharris91
5/8/2008, 08:36 PM
Alls I know is that if I didn't believe in God, I'd have already killed about 3/4 of you mother****ers.

So that's what's stoppin ya...?

Fraggle145
5/8/2008, 08:37 PM
I'm coming from the other end....if we're here only by random chaos, then there is no basis for morality. I agree with C.S. Lewis that the concept of a moral code is evidence of God. :D

Or it could have resulted due to positive natural selection via culture...

C&CDean
5/8/2008, 08:38 PM
So that's what's stoppin ya...?

Well that, and then I'd have to sleep with all the wives, and most of em' are butt ugly. So, I let them live...

Fraggle145
5/8/2008, 08:39 PM
Sorry Havok, my shot was intended for Fraggle.

Figures... please keep treating me in accordance with your religious teachings. you know casting the first stone and judging, etc...

oh wait a minute...

olevetonahill
5/8/2008, 08:51 PM
So you're saying you behave according to a certain moral code only because you're afraid you'll go to hell otherwise?

My only Reason is I dont Like Jail :D

SoonerBorn68
5/8/2008, 08:51 PM
Figures... please keep treating me in accordance with your religious teachings. you know casting the first stone and judging, etc...

oh wait a minute...

Hey self proclaimed atheist, look at your freaking avatar. Darwin/monkeys. Get it? No, you're way too intelligent for jackassery. :rolleyes:

Sooner_Havok
5/8/2008, 09:17 PM

oh wait a minute...

Don't confuse them

Fraggle145
5/8/2008, 09:35 PM
Hey self proclaimed atheist, look at your freaking avatar. Darwin/monkeys. Get it? No, you're way too intelligent for jackassery. :rolleyes:

And you say that like its a bad thing that i should be persecuted for. Why dont you shut up and save the attacks for someone else because I am tired of it from you.

I'm sorry you didnt want me to realize you were a jackass? too late.

Sooner_Havok
5/8/2008, 09:43 PM
A lot of people seem to think that On the Origin of Species is the atheist bible. They also seem to think that science and the belief in a god are mutually exclusive.

SoonerBorn68
5/8/2008, 09:56 PM
And you say that like its a bad thing that i should be persecuted for. Why dont you shut up and save the attacks for someone else because I am tired of it from you.

I'm sorry you didnt want me to realize you were a jackass? too late.

Wow. I guess this is what happens when you make people cry on the internet. I thought you were a big boy--I thought wrong.

I'll back off. I didn't mean to hurt your feelers. :(

Fraggle145
5/8/2008, 10:06 PM
Wow. I guess this is what happens when you make people cry on the internet. I thought you were a big boy--I thought wrong.

I'll back off. I didn't mean to hurt your feelers. :(

And that is backing off?

This isnt what happens when you make someone cry on the internet, it is what happens when you act like an idiot and someone calls you on it and then in defense you attempt to make fun of them and slam them for their beliefs.

Maybe if you could have acted mature or as you call it as a "big boy" then maybe I wouldnt have had a negative reaction to your comments.

Fraggle145
5/8/2008, 10:07 PM
A lot of people seem to think that On the Origin of Species is the atheist bible. They also seem to think that science and the belief in a god are mutually exclusive.

No kidding. my belief that god doesnt exist has nothing to do with my acceptance of the theory of evolution.

SoonerBorn68
5/8/2008, 10:15 PM
And that is backing off?

This isnt what happens when you make someone cry on the internet, it is what happens when you act like an idiot and someone calls you on it and then in defense you attempt to make fun of them and slam them for their beliefs.

Maybe if you could have acted mature or as you call it as a "big boy" then maybe I wouldnt have had a negative reaction to your comments.

I only slammed you for being on your high horse all the time. Get thicker skin. That's what I like about you higher education types--can dish it out but can't take it. Who flippin' cares what you believe? If you want to worship a rock, or a cow, nothing at all, or die and turn to dirt--more power to you. Maturity? Pffft. I tried it once--it sucks. You better come down from that tower Repunzel or you'll be dead from a heart attack before your time.

And being called a jackass from you--a high compliment indeed.

GottaHavePride
5/8/2008, 10:23 PM
Am I the only person on this entire board that got the joke in the first post? It's a Terry Pratchett quote, people. Jesus *********ing Christ.

It should have been followed with "Science has proven that the pen is indeed mightier than the sword, if the sword is very short and the pen is extremely sharp."

Frozen Sooner
5/8/2008, 10:24 PM
No, you're not.