PDA

View Full Version : Interesting note on former Sooner Millington

badger
5/8/2008, 10:53 AM
Apparently Jamaal Brown's former Sooner backup is possibly going to be his pro backup too:
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=183009

He transferred to Illinois after playing at OU, but yet another former Sooner makes the NFL. Congrats to him and hope he does well.

soonerfan28
5/8/2008, 11:02 AM
I don't think I was ever for sure why he left OU. Can anybody give me some info?

starclassic tama
5/8/2008, 11:53 AM
i didn't know he was jammal brown's step brother.

badger
5/8/2008, 11:56 AM
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but some of you may recall when a few star players mysteriously left the team right before the season started:

---
From Scout archives:
"Millington quits the team: Akim Millington, who had been slated to start at right tackle, has left the team. OU coach Bob Stoops confirmed the sophomore's departure Wednesday evening. Millington's reasons for quitting were unknown. Stoops did not elaborate. Millington, who is from Wheaton, Ill., played in five games last season. He ended preseason camp as the starter. But he did not practice Tuesday or Wednesday. In his absence, junior Chris Messner will move into the starting lineup. Messner, a 6-6, 280-pounder from Frederick, has played sparingly. But in recent days, Messner had shared time on the first team with Millington. Millington's departure most likely means true freshman Branndon Braxton will be asked to contribute in a larger role than earlier anticipated. Also, it's likely true freshman George "Duke" Robinson will play this season. Both players were listed as backups on the initial depth chart, which was released Monday."
---

As my limited memory recalls that particularly weird situation, both Millington and another left the team, but then immediately regretted the decision. Stoops apparently (PLEASE correct me if I remember incorrectly) said that they could return, but not at the same depth chart position they had earlier. Millington was projected as the starter to replace draftee Jamaal Brown, but after leaving the team hanging (for TCU at home, mind you), Stoops wasn't going to let him walk back into his starting position. Thus, Millington left for his home state of Illinois, rather than work up from the practice squad.

Millington was a particularly interesting case, because he was the backup to Brown, who is his relative, and now, is potentially his backup in the pros, too. Another interesting puzzle piece is how highly recruiting both he and a certain Big Mo were out of the state of Illinois. Both players ended up at OU and eventually transferred to Illinois. Weird, eh? In any event, just thought I'd give an update on it. I actually found this story while searching for AP info. The Ravens apparently were going to draft Millington, but instead chose to draft Allen Patrick... another Sooner. That Millington must be sooooo sick of Oklahoma by now. It's like we're a little pesky curse that won't go away ever since he left. :D

rainiersooner
5/8/2008, 12:54 PM
I remember at the time, everyone was up in arms blaming Schmitty for being too hard on the players.

NormanPride
5/8/2008, 01:36 PM
Didn't he have depression?

CU Sooner
5/8/2008, 04:26 PM
We don't seem to have much luck with kids out of illinois, i believe patterson was from chicago, too.

Jdog
5/8/2008, 05:35 PM
I remember at the time, everyone was up in arms blaming Schmitty for being too hard on the players.

Thats what I remember hearing - I also recall a video of him crying while walking off the practice field with a coach. We lost several linemen right around that time. We had one from McAlester leave, and one from Ada who left the next year to be with his brother at Nebraska.

Frozen Sooner
5/8/2008, 05:41 PM
Brandon Keith was the guy who quit with Millington.

And it was Roark who left for Nebraska after a rumored altercation with Schmidt.

snp
5/8/2008, 05:43 PM

If the water boy complains about his arms being sore people will blame Schmitty.

badger
5/9/2008, 10:35 AM
Some people can't adjust to the atmosphere of college football, whether it be for training, the classroom or the pressure. Schmitty's job is the training part and that's usually the first part everyone experiences once they step on campus. Two-a-day's, three-a-day's, you name it.

Whether Schmitty pushes our athletes too hard is still up for debate now. Weren't we just saying a few weeks ago on here (in an NFL discussion) that it seems a lot of our players end up too injured to succeed in the pros?

Rhino
5/9/2008, 12:27 PM
Dampeer never transferred to Illinois.

Like every offensive lineman, Millington got tired of being beat up and yelled at - it didn't help that he was a bit of a mama's boy. Then his cousin (who was basically his best friend) drowned in July. A couple weeks later, two-a-days got to him and he made a quick and irrational decision to quit football altogether. Jammal talked him back into playing. The coaches said he'd be welcomed back and would still compete for the RT slot. The first day back, he and Keith (who was also coaxed back into returning to the team) were put on the practice squad. Whatever happened, it was bad enough that they both quit the next day.

I don't think Akim's head was ever in the game that season. He obviously still wanted to play football, but he needed some time to grieve - which he didn't really have. Then, Davin threw him under the bus and gambled away his rent money - but that's another story.

colleyvillesooner
5/9/2008, 12:36 PM
I don't think Akim's head was ever in the game that season. He obviously still wanted to play football, but he needed some time to grieve - which he didn't really have. Then, Davin threw him under the bus and gambled away his rent money - but that's another story...for me to send to CVS via PEEM.

Fixed. :D

badger
5/9/2008, 12:36 PM
Dampeer never transferred to Illinois.
Good point - he was PLANNING to eventually transfer to the Illini, but actually went to Joliet Junior College and allegedly got too large to play in Div. 1 anymore... but these rumored photos of his alleged American Idol tryout prove otherwise:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee17/thelostogle/bigmoe.jpg
See, I didn't even remember Millington when I posted this, and I really lost track of Big Mo after he left, too, so I'll tribute that to the incorrect info, but thanks for the korectshun ;)

Rhino
5/9/2008, 01:02 PM
I can't believe so many people got reeled in with that picture.

This is Mo:
http://a233.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/12/m_039218d04db9f572da485abf7b16ac20.jpg

badger
5/9/2008, 01:06 PM
I can't believe so many people got reeled in with that picture.

This is Mo:
http://a233.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/12/m_039218d04db9f572da485abf7b16ac20.jpg

I thought it was funny, because after experiencing Mo in dance form and running a fumble form, how could he possibly become that?

Weeeell, aside from the liposuction...