PDA

View Full Version : 235 mpg car out in 2010

Jerk
5/7/2008, 08:34 PM
http://gas2.org/2008/05/07/vw-confirms-1l-concept-will-become-reality-in-2010/

There’s been talk about the VW 1L concept (http://gas2.org/2008/03/12/the-worlds-most-fuel-efficient-car-285-mpg-not-a-hybrid/) for years. Since VW built the original, fuel economy, safety, price, and release date has been speculated upon and argued about, and I’d finally stopped thinking it was ever going to happen. However, according to VW’s CEO, it should hit the market in 2010.
The VW 1L is so named because, in theory, it only consumes one liter of fuel per 100 kilometers traveled. For those of us in the US, this translates into about 235 MPG. Definitely far and above anything on the market currently. The concept, developed in 2002, actually got better fuel economy, scoring a sweet .89L/100km in VW testing. It’s likely to use more fuel in real world use, but with that kind of mileage in testing it’s unlikely that anyone would complain about an “unsatisfactory 200 MPG.”

For the rest, you can read the article linked above.

http://gas2.org/files/2008/05/500px-1-liter-vw_525150348.jpg

Sic'em?

Fraggle145
5/7/2008, 08:40 PM
It may be the ugliest thing I have ever seen, but I would love to have a car that got 200mpg.

GottaHavePride
5/7/2008, 08:53 PM
Perspective:

New York to LA is 2,776 miles. At 235 mpg you'd need 11.8 gallons to get that far. At today's price (in Wichita) of $3.55 per gallon, that's [b]$41.94.[b]

Forty dollars to drive coast to coast.

Damn.

Okla-homey
5/7/2008, 08:56 PM
Didn't some American automotive engineering-type person recently post that 100mpg wasn't possible unless the car was made of bamboo, goat glue and rice paper? I guess German engineering thinks otherwise.;)

Jerk
5/7/2008, 09:06 PM
Didn't some American automotive engineering-type person recently post that 100mpg wasn't possible unless the car was made of bamboo, goat glue and rice paper? I guess German engineering thinks otherwise.;)

Yep. But this thing has one cylinder, is extremely light, and will get passed on the Turnpike....by semis. Its top speed is 77 mph.

Oh well. It can't be more dangerous than motorcycles.

Curly Bill
5/7/2008, 09:12 PM
I'll settle for half the gas mileage if they'll make it twice as fast. ;)

Harry Beanbag
5/7/2008, 09:21 PM
I'll settle for half the gas mileage if they'll make it twice as fast. ;)

And I'll settle for half of that if it's twice as big. :)

GottaHavePride
5/7/2008, 09:37 PM
And I'll settle for half of that if it's twice as big. :)

Half of half of 235 mpg? You can get that right now. It's called a Toyota Prius.

yermom
5/7/2008, 09:44 PM
Yep. But this thing has one cylinder, is extremely light, and will get passed on the Turnpike....by semis. Its top speed is 77 mph.

except a motorcycle can leave you in the dust, usually

not mine :O

yermom
5/7/2008, 09:45 PM
Half of half of 235 mpg? You can get that right now. It's called a Toyota Prius.

the Golf hybrid diesel sounds cool...

bluedogok
5/7/2008, 09:45 PM

Yes it can, most motorcycles (and big scooters) are more than capable of highway+ speeds and a much more maneuverable than that contraption.

I found out how nice being able to move away from an accident on a motorcycle is a couple of weekends ago. I had a sub-compact come into my lane on Mopac OVER the concrete barrier and landing on its side in the left and partly in the middle lane (the one that I was in). It was 1:30 on a Saturday afternoon, traffic was unusually light on the southbound side, I had cleared the pack and another bile was trailing me when I saw the nose come over the wall, it rode along the top of the wall before it landed on the passenger side blowing the glass into my lane. I was trying to figure out if it was going to shoot across all three lanes or stick near the barrier. I figured out it was staying inside so I went to the right lane missing the car by 10-15 feet. I pulled over on the shoulder and the other rider did as well (I didn't know him), by the time that I got up to where his bike was the car was back on its wheels and the girl was already out of the car. If I would have been in my F-150, I probably would have hit her with the roof of her car facing me.

Norm In Norman
5/7/2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah - like the inventors of that car aren't already murdered.

yermom
5/7/2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah - like the inventors of that car aren't already murdered.

just the original ones

Sooner Eclipse
5/7/2008, 10:53 PM

Yep, that was me. I didn't say you couldn't build it. I said it would be a death trap on todays roads. Bluedog's got it going. It's light but about as manueverable as a subcompact, yet less stable due to the 3 wheel design. That thing is an accident waiting to happen the first time it gets passed on the turnpike.

BTW, I don't work for an American company. I can tell you the germans don't think otherwise, they just realize there are some out there willing to trade their safety for good fuel mileage.

Okla-homey
5/8/2008, 05:26 AM
Yep, that was me. I didn't say you couldn't build it. I said it would be a death trap on todays roads. Bluedog's got it going. It's light but about as manueverable as a subcompact, yet less stable due to the 3 wheel design. That thing is an accident waiting to happen the first time it gets passed on the turnpike.

BTW, I don't work for an American company. I can tell you the germans don't think otherwise, they just realize there are some out there willing to trade their safety for good fuel mileage.

with apologies to Benjamin Franklin; "he who would trade comfort and safety for increased gas mileage deserves neither.";)

olevetonahill
5/8/2008, 06:50 AM
Perspective:

New York to LA is 2,776 miles. At 235 mpg you'd need 11.8 gallons to get that far. At today's price (in Wichita) of $3.55 per gallon, that's [b]$41.94.[b]

Forty dollars to drive coast to coast.

Damn.

But wouldnt you have to send Ur clean Panties By air plane or somepuun ?
:pop:

olevetonahill
5/8/2008, 06:53 AM
with apologies to Benjamin Franklin; "he who would trade comfort and safety for increased gas mileage deserves neither.";)

With all due respect , ( Ya know I have that fer an Occifer )
That analogy sucks a donkey balls :rolleyes:

Harry Beanbag
5/8/2008, 07:05 AM

But can you load the back of a Prius with firewood? Camping equpment? Quad? Gravel? Furniture? Building materials? Drive it off pavement into the mountains? Get hit by an SUV and not die? I don't think so.

yermom
5/8/2008, 08:17 AM
yeah, but the Prius is twice as big as the original car ;)

i don't really think the market for the car is taking it on the highway, it's more like the electric cars for commuting

sooneron
5/8/2008, 08:21 AM
yeah, but the Prius is twice as big as the original car ;)

i don't really think the market for the car is taking it on the highway, it's more like the electric cars for commuting
Yeppers.

yermom
5/8/2008, 08:39 AM
it's also not really supposed to replace everyone's car. it's just to get things started with technology for the early adopters, like the Honda Insight

i'm sure it's still going to be prohibitively expensive

OUDoc
5/8/2008, 08:56 AM

Better than a Prius, IMO.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/new-cars/34-mpg-at-83-mph-why-i-like-diesels/9780412+w315+cr1+re0+ar1/2008-audi-a4-tdi.jpg

That’s why I think a diesel is the ideal all-arounder. You get great mileage without having to drive a penalty box. Mooching around the narrow backroads and farm tracks of the Algarve at 30-50 mph, the A4 TDI returned 47 mpg. Hustling along winding two lanes at 30-70 mph, constantly braking, shifting, and accelerating, it got 33 mpg. I can’t imagine how hard you’d have to thrash this thing to get less than 30 mpg.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6243391/new-cars/34-mpg-at-83-mph-why-i-like-diesels/index.html

yermom
5/8/2008, 09:16 AM
combine the diesel prices with a little less mileage, and that kinda adds up

OUDoc
5/8/2008, 10:19 AM
combine the diesel prices with a little less mileage, and that kinda adds up

In real life, the diesels usually get better mileage than the Prius.

SoonerInKCMO
5/8/2008, 10:32 AM
I had a Prius rental for three weeks that averaged 49.9 mpg for the whole time. A diesel would have to get 60+ to offset the fuel cost difference.

NormanPride
5/8/2008, 01:31 PM
My boss has been paying attention to the Aptera (http://www.aptera.com). It looks weird, but apparently they have a good design going on how to not make it a deathtrap.