PDA

View Full Version : My Tornado Shelter...

r5TPsooner
5/7/2008, 06:07 PM
was the best damn investment that I made when I purchased this house back in March. I remember telling the realtor that if the seller doesn't throw it in with the purchase price that I offered him, I was a walkin.

Not only have I been in the damned thing already today with the sirens going off three different times in the Deer Creek area, the family and I have been in there three other times as well this year.

It's comforting to hear the **** hitting the fan just outside my 3rd car garage while the kids are drawing or reading a book w/o a care in the world. To be honest, I would have given a kidney to have the damned thing put in.

Hope that everyone is safe and sound this evening.

olevetonahill
5/7/2008, 06:57 PM
Ive been In More Tornados than Ive Been in shelters
Ive gone thru 2 tornados, seen a shat load Of others.
Nevar had a Prob Making My Kids get in one tho .

shaun4411
5/7/2008, 06:59 PM
my shelter today was in the basement at work.

birddog
5/7/2008, 07:23 PM
it's a hell of an investment for sure. i live in miller neighborhood and you'd think all these old houses would have basements. i guess i'll have to shell out 3 grand for the safety of the family.

badger
5/7/2008, 07:31 PM
The sky is falling, people! This is NOT a drill!

Seriously, with the siren going off over and over here in west Tulsa you'd think that's what's going on. Be safe tonight, people. Something tells me those not effected will be angry they missed American Idol :rolleyes:

CrimsonandCreamForever
5/7/2008, 07:33 PM
I always wondered how good of an idea putting one in your garage would be. If your house is torn down and there's a pile of debris on the door, how the **** do you get out? I think I'd rather have mine out in the yard.

birddog
5/7/2008, 08:12 PM
I always wondered how good of an idea putting one in your garage would be. If your house is torn down and there's a pile of debris on the door, how the **** do you get out? I think I'd rather have mine out in the yard.

obviously you haven't seen kill bill 2.

RacerX
5/7/2008, 08:36 PM

Dude, debris moves.

r5TPsooner
5/7/2008, 08:47 PM
Beings how the shelter is flat, the door slides quite easily with an emergency handle inside to disconnect it from the shelter itself.

I figured that with debris, the stuff could land anywhere, and since our 3rd car garage is on the very NW side of the house, the nader would basically have to come directly from the south to cover us with the main portion of our home. I also had a BIL who built shelters outside and they leaked like the devil. Plus the slab and foundation were already there for them.

StormySooner-IN
5/7/2008, 08:55 PM
Stay safe everyone. :)

Just a bunch of crappy rain here in Indy. It'd be nice to get some rumblin at least.

Get this....no severe weather here since......January 29:confused:..........go figure.

OU-HSV
5/7/2008, 09:22 PM
My tornado shelter is my laundry room. Tonight is the closest I've been to having to use it since we've been in our house (a year and a half). I watched the line of storms push through from my west windows tonight and I thought I was going to see a tornado drop any time. A large lowering was just up the road to my northwest and very impressive and hauling major butt. We seem to have been lucky tonight.

texas bandman
5/7/2008, 09:43 PM
I grew up in Moore, and went through there the day after the F5 went through. If a tornado is that strong you better have a shelter. Hope all you guys are safe, we had storms this afternoon in Lubbock, but no funnels just heavy rain.