PDA

View Full Version : The Office

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2008, 04:37 PM
Damn I love this show. I discovered it last week, and have now watched every single episode up to this point (in lieu of studying).

I absolutely can't get enough of this show to such an extent that I spent hours watching fan/tribute videos on YouTube.

Best show on TV -- no contest.

Any other fans out there?

r5TPsooner
5/6/2008, 04:39 PM
Should have been a poll. :)

BigRedJed
5/6/2008, 04:39 PM
The UK or U.S. version? Apparently people who watch the UK version think the U.S. version, which IMO is brilliant, is just this side of a steaming pile of doo doo.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2008, 04:47 PM
The UK or U.S. version? Apparently people who watch the UK version think the U.S. version, which IMO is brilliant, is just this side of a steaming pile of doo doo.

I meant the US version. I've watched a little bit of the UK version, but I just don't find it as funny. I've only watched two episodes though, and the US version itself got off to kind of a slow start.

BigRedJed
5/6/2008, 04:55 PM
Better watch out for BSG and all of them other limey-Office snobs. That's all I'm saying.

royalfan5
5/6/2008, 04:57 PM
I hate Steve Carrell with a passion.

soonerinabilene
5/6/2008, 05:00 PM
Best show on tv the last 3 years, by far.

"Hey, Oscarmeyerweinerlover..." when addressing Oscar, the gay guy. I laughed for two days straight thinking of that.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2008, 05:09 PM
The interactions between Michael and Toby are pure gold.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2008, 05:10 PM
Also, in case you all don't know, Angela is a Baylor grad.

soonerinabilene
5/6/2008, 05:18 PM
Also, in case you all don't know, Angela is a Baylor grad.

Also in case you all didnt know, Pam is hawt.

sooneron
5/6/2008, 05:19 PM
Damn I love this show. I discovered it last week,

Man, you are late for any and all pop culture.

mdklatt
5/6/2008, 05:22 PM
Season 1 was very good, but they were still trying to find their stride (although the health plan episode might be the greatest episode of any season). Season 2 was pure greatness. Season 3 started to get shaky.

This season is a mess. It started off with too much idiocy (Michael following the GPS into a lake, "I declare BANKRUPTCY"), and now it's gone super crazy dark and awkward. Dark and especially awkward are cornerstones of the series, but damn. Are we supposed to hate everybody by the series finale or what?

I criticize because I love.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/6/2008, 06:36 PM
Heh.

I like the American version okay now. At first, I couldn't even watch it. I'd been watching the British version for so long it just seemed kinda lame. Plus, British humor just appeals to me.

But they did a good job of not trying to be like the British version which is smart because there is NO ONE like David Brent. It's got the same inappropriate, painful-to-watchness as the Brit version but David Brent (Ricky Gervais) is awesome.

Showing the new girl around:

ye1C8vMqbHA

BigRedJed
5/6/2008, 06:44 PM
Man, that sucks. Of course, that could be because I've been watching the American version for so long.

BigRedJed
5/6/2008, 06:44 PM
:)

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/6/2008, 06:53 PM
:les: I DIDN'T SAY IT SUCKED - I JUST LIKE THE OTHER ONE BETTER!!!

I just wanted you guys to see this one. I'll stop now.

Raising money for charity:

aqB-ubK9vQo

KC//CRIMSON
5/6/2008, 07:58 PM
Damn I love this show. I discovered it last week, and have now watched every single episode up to this point (in lieu of studying).

I absolutely can't get enough of this show to such an extent that I spent hours watching fan/tribute videos on YouTube.

Where have you been? (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60555&highlight=sniff)

Frozen Sooner
5/6/2008, 08:17 PM

I love both for different reasons.

For example, I think that Gareth is a superior character to Dwight. On the other hand, Toby is pure greatness.

soonermix
5/7/2008, 09:58 AM

hey sicem have you heard of this new show called Seinfeld?? its hilarious
j/k
:D :D

SoonerJack
5/7/2008, 10:43 AM
I was really hoping the writers would tie in some aspect of the strike in this spring's episodes. I'm not sure how I feel about the dark turn that the show has taken. It appears that Ryan is on drugs, Jim could get fired, etc. Hopefully they will see fit to re-write Jan back into the show. I love the on/off/on/off nature of her relationship with Michael.

I've only watched a couple episodes of the British version, and I usually like Brit humor a lot, but somehow it just didn't work for me. Gareth is creepy beyond words. I think they broke the mold when they made him.

dolemitesooner
5/7/2008, 11:22 AM
:les: I DIDN'T SAY IT SUCKED - I JUST LIKE THE OTHER ONE BETTER!!!

I just wanted you guys to see this one. I'll stop now.

Raising money for charity:

aqB-ubK9vQo
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

King Crimson
5/7/2008, 12:39 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/images/400/finchy.jpg

the US one is pretty funny from what i've seen.

SicEmBaylor
5/7/2008, 12:44 PM
I've got a friend who looks like and has many of the same mannerisms as David Brent.

Ike
5/7/2008, 02:53 PM
I was really hoping the writers would tie in some aspect of the strike in this spring's episodes. I'm not sure how I feel about the dark turn that the show has taken. It appears that Ryan is on drugs, Jim could get fired, etc. Hopefully they will see fit to re-write Jan back into the show. I love the on/off/on/off nature of her relationship with Michael.

I don't think Jim is going to get fired. What I think they are doing is showing Jim's slow transformation into Michael.

tbl
5/7/2008, 02:57 PM
Not me. I watch them both and love them both. I do think the original had a realism that is missing now, but it was very unique and can't be duplicated. David Brent made things much more tense than Michael Scott, while being less endearing. Still, I like where Dunder Mifflin has gone and is heading. Very funny show.

Sniff sniff?

Ike
5/7/2008, 02:57 PM
I've only watched a couple episodes of the British version, and I usually like Brit humor a lot, but somehow it just didn't work for me. Gareth is creepy beyond words. I think they broke the mold when they made him.

Jim>Tim
Gareth>Dwight

JMO

Frozen Sooner
5/7/2008, 03:02 PM
I don't think Jim is going to get fired. What I think they are doing is showing Jim's slow transformation into Michael.

I don't think that's the case.

I've heard people point to Jim forgetting to let the security guard know that they were there as evidence that he's just as big a screwup as Michael is. I disagree-he just didn't think of it, but he learned from the experience. It's not as if anyone else in the office thought "Hey, we should let the security guard know we're still here." On the other hand, when Michael screws up, everyone sees it coming.

Plus, Jim's got Pam-a quality, non-crazy girlfriend.

tbl
5/7/2008, 03:02 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/images/400/finchy.jpg

the US one is pretty funny from what i've seen.

Finchy! They need to bring back the American equivalent of Finchy. It's the actor that played the Sportscaster on Anchorman. Pretty funny.

and for those that never watched the British version, don't watch an episode on BBC America or PBS. Rent the DVD's and start off with Episode 1, then go all the way through. Much like Arrested Development, its better to get started and go through it that way. A lot of inside jokes that resurface and if you're not in the know, you might not think they're funny (and you'll be seriously missing out).

colleyvillesooner
5/7/2008, 03:05 PM
God I miss Arrested development.

I dare anyone that likes shows like the office to watch Arrested development on DVDs from Episode 1. By Episode 5 or 6 I guarantee it will be one of your faves.

Rumors of a movie are out there...

[/thread jack]

tbl
5/7/2008, 03:08 PM

I've heard people point to Jim forgetting to let the security guard know that they were there as evidence that he's just as big a screwup as Michael is. I disagree-he just didn't think of it, but he learned from the experience. It's not as if anyone else in the office thought "Hey, we should let the security guard know we're still here." On the other hand, when Michael screws up, everyone sees it coming.

No way would Jim ever replace Michael. In order to replace Michael, they'd have to bring in a new character. I've always thought Will Arnett (Gob from Arrested Development) would be a perfect fit on the show. I had hoped he might come in as Michaels arrogant and equally clueless boss, but that was always wishful thinking since I was robbed of AD.

SicEmBaylor
5/7/2008, 03:09 PM

That's what I think as well.

tbl
5/7/2008, 03:10 PM
Rumors of a movie are out there...

IN!!!!

not only should Will Arnett come to Dunder Mifflin, but he should come as Gob Bluth. That would be absolute greatness. Greatness I tell ya!

SicEmBaylor
5/7/2008, 03:12 PM

It's not just the security guard. I think better evidence is when Jim tried to merge all of the office birthdays into one celebration and it blew up in his face. At the end of the show he and Michael had a little heart to heart about it and he learned Michael had tried the same thing years ago.

tbl
5/7/2008, 03:18 PM
I just can't see replacing Michael with Jim. If Steve Carrell ever leaves the show and they don't bring in a new boss, it will not survive. Not to say the cast isn't great, but Dunder Mifflin Scranton without a screwup at the helm would completely defeat the entire premise of the show. Maybe Dwight or Andy could pull it off since they're on the same level of respect as Michael, but the people like Jim and he's really not THAT big of a screw up. When he screws up, he acknowledges it whereas Michael would find a way to blame somebody else.

Ike
5/7/2008, 03:20 PM

All true...but I have this hairbrained theory that Michael was a fairly bright guy back in the day, but ran into the peter principle, and due to his experience screwing up management, he actually made a decision to be the kind of boss that he is. I think he figured that if he could make his screwups visible from a mile away, then people would be less ****ed at him for screwing up....and through years of being this kind of boss, he has actually become that person, rather than that person just being a front he puts on.

Jim I think is trying to learn from his experience, but almost every time he does something 'managerial', he winds up screwing it up.

tbl
5/7/2008, 03:23 PM
All true...but I have this hairbrained theory that Michael was a fairly bright guy back in the day, but ran into the peter principle, and due to his experience screwing up management, he actually made a decision to be the kind of boss that he is. I think he figured that if he could make his screwups visible from a mile away, then people would be less ****ed at him for screwing up....and through years of being this kind of boss, he has actually become that person, rather than that person just being a front he puts on.

Jim I think is trying to learn from his experience, but almost every time he does something 'managerial', he winds up screwing it up.

Michael was a good sales rep, which got him the job. As soon as he got in that position, he sucked from the beginning at leading people (many references to this throughout the show, most recently Stanleys conversation with him), though his ability to still make sales kept him where he is (as seen in the episode where he and Jan hooked up originally).

Frozen Sooner
5/7/2008, 03:30 PM

Totally disagree. Jim is a natural leader. Michael is not. For that matter, neither is Ryan-at least as they've shown him this season.

The show does a great job of highlighting promotion for the wrong reasons. Michael was promoted to a management position because he was exceptional at his sales job-unfortunately, he had no management skills at all. Ryan was promoted because of his education, but failed to gain any respect from the people he was supposed to lead (witness: never made a sale!) and sucks at getting buy-in. Jim, on the other hand, has shown the ability to get staff buy-in several times in order to meet corporate goals. He's also shown the ability to intelligently critique senior management decisions while offering good alternatives-whereas Michael's normal response to something he doesn't like is either passive-agressive or outright defiance.

tbl
5/7/2008, 03:35 PM
Ryan is not a leader at all, which kind of makes him a good fit to be Michaels boss since Michael has such man love for him. He got the job based on his education, but the fact that he never made a sale and completely sucks at leading people makes it ironic since he has zero respect for Michael. Yet more irony since Michael is actually more valuable to the company since he can at least sell paper.

Ike
5/7/2008, 03:38 PM
Totally disagree. Jim is a natural leader. Michael is not. For that matter, neither is Ryan-at least as they've shown him this season.

The show does a great job of highlighting promotion for the wrong reasons. Michael was promoted to a management position because he was exceptional at his sales job-unfortunately, he had no management skills at all. Ryan was promoted because of his education, but failed to gain any respect from the people he was supposed to lead (witness: never made a sale!) and sucks at getting buy-in. Jim, on the other hand, has shown the ability to get staff buy-in several times in order to meet corporate goals. He's also shown the ability to intelligently critique senior management decisions while offering good alternatives-whereas Michael's normal response to something he doesn't like is either passive-agressive or outright defiance.

Again...mostly true, but I don't buy that Jim is a natural leader. He is charismatic enough to get buy-in, but then he almost always winds up screwing something up. Eventually that's going to come back to bite him in the *** (and precipitate what I think will be his eventual transformation into a Michael-like person). He's got great hindsight, but no foresight.

Frozen Sooner
5/7/2008, 03:41 PM
See, Ike, I think I disagree with your definition of a good manager as someone who never screws up. A good manager is someone who learns from his screwups. Learning from screwups is how leaders become good managers.

Ike
5/7/2008, 03:47 PM
See, Ike, I think I disagree with your definition of a good manager as someone who never screws up. A good manager is someone who learns from his screwups. Learning from screwups is how leaders become good managers.
But when he screws up, everyone hates him for a few days, and he hates being hated. Some of his screwups come from his not paying attention to details, and I don't think thats ever going to change.

The question here is what is he learning. Is he learning that he needs to pay attention to the little details that can set everyone off against him, or is he learning that he can't avoid screwing up, and therefore it's better to just let them see it coming so they can fend for themselves (and therefore be less ****ed at him than they would have been otherwise)

Youngsooner
5/7/2008, 10:31 PM
John McCain just announced on the Daily Show that his running mate will be Dwight Schrut... how exciting

BigRedJed
5/8/2008, 10:16 AM
...The question here is what is he learning...
I think he's learning that leading, or being the boss, is overrated, and ultimately will learn to place his focus on his personal life and goals rather office politics and getting ahead. He's mostly above it all now, anyway.