PDA

View Full Version : Winter Creek GCC in Blanchard ?

Partial Qualifier
5/6/2008, 01:29 PM
Anyone else played Winter Creek?

Played in a Senior pro-am there yesterday, hosted by Chickasaw Telecom. The pros were senior tour guys (nobody famous).

My group however didn't get a senior pro, we got the club pro instead, guy named Freddie. Cool guy. Carried us to a 13-under (I think 14-under won it).

Just wondering if anyone else had played there and what they thought of it.

The end.

OUDoc
5/6/2008, 01:49 PM
You're older than I thought.

dolemitesooner
5/6/2008, 01:54 PM
I had some buddys that played out there 2 weeks ago and they said that it is ****ing tougher than OU.

They only had 3 and asked if I wanted to go but I was getting over a hangover and a 1 night stand.

Is it pretty tough?

LilSooner
5/6/2008, 02:12 PM
My best friend in high school her dad was the over that course when they were building it.

We tore that poor course up with the cushmans. Then there was the time that a moron got his brand double cab new truck stuck on the 17th green about a day or two after they laid it down.

Good times.

Partial Qualifier
5/6/2008, 03:27 PM
I had some buddys that played out there 2 weeks ago and they said that it is ****ing tougher than OU.

They only had 3 and asked if I wanted to go but I was getting over a hangover and a 1 night stand.

Is it pretty tough?

I would have to disagree that it's tougher than Jimmie Austin. It's not easy - don't get me wrong, there's lots of water (though much of it is not in play) and some tough shots, and the greens (which were in GREAT shape) are generally damn tricky but Jimmie Austin is tougher IMO.

We easily reached all the par 5's in two. Would not've happened at OU, even with the pro in our group.

$44 during the week is okay I guess, but I wouldn't pay their weekend rate of $65 to play behind a bunch of slow old farts. I would expect more for $65.. no water jugs on the course :mad: no GPS carts, the sandtraps are Westwood-esque (1 part sand, 3 parts pulverized red clay)

but the drive might be worth the weekday $44 price 'cause I bet you'd have the course to yourself, essentially.

sooneron
5/6/2008, 03:37 PM
I would have to disagree that it's tougher than Jimmie Austin. It's not easy - don't get me wrong, there's lots of water (though much of it is not in play) and some tough shots, and the greens (which were in GREAT shape) are generally damn tricky but Jimmie Austin is tougher IMO.

We easily reached all the par 5's in two. Would not've happened at OU, even with the pro in our group.

$44 during the week is okay I guess, but I wouldn't pay their weekend rate of $65 to play behind a bunch of slow old farts. I would expect more for $65.. no water jugs on the course :mad: no GPS carts, the sandtraps are Westwood-esque (1 part sand, 3 parts pulverized red clay)

but the drive might be worth the weekday $44 price 'cause I bet you'd have the course to yourself, essentially.

Is $44 with a cart?

r5TPsooner
5/6/2008, 04:42 PM
I shot a measly 77 there last week for my first round after back surgery. Pretty easy course IMHO. I should have shot a 70-72 if I wouldn't have gotten tired on the back nine and hit a SW like someone who's a single digit capper should.

I remember hitting 2-iron off the tee at least three times, maybe four. NO GPS and no water on a course in Oklahoma is teh succ.

Partial Qualifier
5/6/2008, 04:58 PM
Is $44 with a cart?

yep.

I shot a measly 77 there last week for my first round after back surgery. Pretty easy course IMHO. I should have shot a 70-72 if I wouldn't have gotten tired on the back nine and hit a SW like someone who's a single digit capper should.

I remember hitting 2-iron off the tee at least three times, maybe four. NO GPS and no water on a course in Oklahoma is teh succ.

That's pretty salty for the first round back after surgery! Nice one. Yeah, no drinking water is teh unacceptables.

Here's another wierd thing: their #1 handicap hole is a par 3, and it wasn't extraordinarily tough. The #2 handicap hole was like #12 or something, brutal par 4, far and away the hardest hole. I asked the club's pro about that and he said "it's basically a rule, that the #1 handicap should be on the front nine."

never heard that one before, and never seen a par 3 be the #1 handicap :confused:

sooneron
5/6/2008, 05:21 PM
I can't think of one par 3 that is the 1 hdcp on any course that I have played.

edit: actually, the 9 hole I played today may have a 3 as the hardest, but they don't hdcp the holes.