PDA

View Full Version : Why do Bush & McCain...

SoonerInKCMO
5/6/2008, 12:16 PM
...hate the troops? (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/06/opinion/06herbert.html?hp)

:pop:

JohnnyMack
5/6/2008, 12:20 PM
IBTHomeyRant

StoopTroup
5/6/2008, 12:23 PM
How big would our tax rebate have been if we hadn't gone into Iraq?

[ducking] :D

Okla-homey
5/6/2008, 01:47 PM
All I know is my GI Bill entitlement allowed me to get a law degree. What's more, because I worked hard I was able to get merit-based schollys to cover the difference. I also worked part-time to help myself out.

On the whole, the GI Bill is pretty generous. Sure, I'd have liked more, but $36,000 is decent, unless a guy wants to be a full-time student and not work part-time somewhere else.

Now, that said, if a guy has a passle of younguns and a wife that can't or won't work, and is majoring in rocket science and therefore must spend every waking second either in class or studying, and cannot get any merit-based schollies or admitted to a state school...it's not enough. That's a lot of "if's"

The way I see it is, this proposed bill purports to make it possible for a guy to get a bachelors degree as a full-time student without incurring any debt and not working. Moreover, it assumes the guy won't qualify for merit-based schollys and/or VA disability assistance. I'm a big advocate for vets naturally, BUT this bill seems a little too much to ask for to be fair.

Harry Beanbag
5/6/2008, 05:19 PM
What exactly are they proposing to do? Did I miss it in the article?

SoonerInKCMO
5/6/2008, 05:27 PM
Hell if I know; I'm just trying to cause trouble. ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/6/2008, 05:33 PM
This thread ****es me off!!!! You do realize that George Bush protected the Lubbock airspace from the Vietcong? Now that is courage, if he hated soldiers, that would mean he would hate himself the most!!

mdklatt
5/6/2008, 05:56 PM
This thread ****es me off!!!! You do realize that George Bush protected the Lubbock airspace from the Vietcong? Now that is courage, if he hated soldiers, that would mean he would hate himself the most!!

To be fair, the Vietcong wasn't the only threat to US security in the 70's. The NORAD guys may not have seen as much action, but they were still doing an important job.

Now whether GW did the job he was supposed to be doing or got that job because of his father is a separate issue.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/6/2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks for reinforcing my statement! If only Bush had forseen the Mexican problem and blew a big ****ing ditch down there :(

Okla-homey
5/6/2008, 06:38 PM
What exactly are they proposing to do? Did I miss it in the article?

upping the educational entitlemnt for honorably discharged vets to cover a four year degree and living expenses so they vet can go to school, have everything paid and also make his house and car payment. Probably about quadruple the current $36K over four years to around $144K in entitlement over four years.

The bill is based on the notion the current cap of $36K over four years has been around that that level since the Vietnam War ended. Thus, guys getting out now need a bunch more money to get their degree and not have to work to earn additional income while doing it.

Harry Beanbag
5/6/2008, 06:43 PM
upping the educational entitlemnt for honorably discharged vets to cover a four year degree and living expenses so they vet can go to school, have everything paid and also make his house and car payment. Probably about quadruple the current $36K over four years to around $144K in entitlement over four years.

The bill is based on the notion the current cap of $36K over four years has been around that that level since the Vietnam War ended. Thus, guys getting out now need a bunch more money to get their degree and not have to work to earn additional income while doing it.

Oh, I got the premise behind it, just not the numbers for what they plan on doing for the individual person.

So this would be regardless of which college is chosen? I can go to Harvard or East Central State and they'll pay every penny for either one?

shaun4411
5/6/2008, 06:51 PM
if they think we are out there just killing civilians and women and children, why dont get get a squadron of f35s, and b52s with a full payload of JDAMS and turn it into a parking lot. then send in a few marines to kill the surviving roaches. at least then we'd get something out of the demonizing stigma weve been given about this whole thing.

SoonerInKCMO
5/6/2008, 06:58 PM
Oh, I got the premise behind it, just not the numbers for what they plan on doing for the individual person.

So this would be regardless of which college is chosen? I can go to Harvard or East Central State and they'll pay every penny for either one?

From what I can understand from reading this (http://capwiz.com/military/webreturn/?url=http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:S.22:) (granted, it's in legalese and you know how difficult it is to understand those lawyerin' types ;) ) it looks like in-state tuition (looks like it's limited to public schools), $1,000/yr for books and however much an E-5 gets for housing.

olevetonahill
5/6/2008, 07:05 PM
When I went to Skool On the GI Bill , I got 200 or so a Month . Paid MY own tuitionand Books and such .
Worked Full time In a carpet Plant on the swing shift
I didnt Bitch .

SoonerInKCMO
5/6/2008, 07:09 PM
Dude, when you went to school, tuition at OU was $2.99/hr - $200/mo was plenty. :D

Harry Beanbag
5/6/2008, 07:14 PM
From what I can understand from reading this (http://capwiz.com/military/webreturn/?url=http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:S.22:) (granted, it's in legalese and you know how difficult it is to understand those lawyerin' types ;) ) it looks like in-state tuition (looks like it's limited to public schools), $1,000/yr for books and however much an E-5 gets for housing.

I'll take your word for it, I don't have the time to wade through that. :)

I'm fine with everything but the housing allowance, seems like overkill and government waste at its finest though, let's do it!

olevetonahill
5/6/2008, 07:14 PM
Dude, when you went to school, tuition at OU was $2.99/hr - $200/mo was plenty. :D

I Gradeated From The Territorial Skool of Criminals :cool: