PDA

View Full Version : Credit Cards and rate hikes

SoonerKnight
5/5/2008, 09:27 PM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/CreditCardSmarts/CrackdownOnUnfairCreditCardPractices.aspx

So, the other day I go to the mailbox and get a notice that my interest rate on a credit card that I have not really used nor remembered having were going up to almost 25%. I thought this was funny because my wife and I had to go to the dentist and we (she) had to have some work done. So we payed for it total we payed like $800. Now a credit card that we never use (and did not use to pay for the dentist) is going to raise our rates because we usually don't spend so much at one time. We also usually pay it off within 30 days but we are waiting for our refund check to pay it all off at once. Now, the Feds are going to "crack down" on credit card companies because they are doing this to everyone!!! HA! We have no balance on the card that is raising it's rates. Here is the story:

Regulators are planning tighter rules to stop credit card companies from unfairly raising interest rates and to make sure they give people enough time to pay their bills.

In the most far-reaching crackdown on the credit industry in decades, the Federal Reserve and two federal agencies are proposing new rules that would prohibit:

Placing unfair time constraints on payments. A payment could not be deemed late unless the borrower was given a reasonable period of time, such as 21 days, to pay.

Unfairly allocating payments among balances with different interest rates. The proposal would require that payments above the minimum be applied in a way that was "beneficial" for the cardholder. For example, a payment above the minimum would go toward a large balance at an 18% annual percentage rate rather than a small 0% balance transfer.

Unfairly raising annual percentage rates on outstanding balances. The rule would ban retroactive interest-rate increases on existing outstanding balances unless a consumer was 30 days late on the account. Banks would not be able to retroactively raise rates on good customers for activity unrelated to the specific card, such as a late payment on a mortgage.Placing too-high fees for exceeding the credit limit solely because of a hold placed on the account, usually by rental car companies or hotels.

olevetonahill
5/5/2008, 11:08 PM
Credit Cards Make BAD toilet Paper:eek:

SoonerStormchaser
5/6/2008, 06:31 AM
Yah...I just got one yesterday saying that my card (that I don't use anymore, and have almost paid off) went up from 14.5% to 18.99% in FEBRUARY! WTF!?!?!?!? So I called them up and asked just what was going on. The lady on the phone said she was lowering the rate back to 12.99%

Basically, if you get your rates changed, and you're in good standing, call them.

ric311
5/6/2008, 02:22 PM
I love how the Federal government feels like it needs to save us from ourselves.

The moral of the story is that if you pay off the card every month - as you should - your interest rate is ZERO.

r5TPsooner
5/6/2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112058

I feel your pain. But to soften the blow they gave me $2500 for my troubles.

r5TPsooner
5/6/2008, 02:45 PM
I love how the Federal government feels like it needs to save us from ourselves.

The moral of the story is that if you pay off the card every month - as you should - your interest rate is ZERO.

You're are correct and I do, but it's the principle of the thing. I have one card, my wife has one card. I pay them both off every month almost everytime, and to hike the rates of very good customers is stoopid. If I don't pay it off right then, it's done the very next month like clockwork.

C&CDean
5/6/2008, 02:54 PM
All I ever get is requests to use their card for 0%.

shaun4411
5/6/2008, 07:09 PM
i saw an article once where execs actually admitted that upwards of 85% of income from credit cards are from fees; late fees, overextending your balance fees, and higher interest charges from balances 90+ days old. personally, i dont care because i carry a $0 balance 99% of the time. but this is gouging. when interest rates everywhere else are going down, its suddenly more expensive to borrow off of a credit card? its going in the opposite direction and is spurning consumer confidence.

true inflation is when prices are going up, but the earnings go down, or unemployment rises significantly. though its stupid that the cc companies are pulling a fast one on us, (maybe theyre in collusion with the oil companies. oil prices rise, we pay more and borrow to buy the more expensive oil and they charge higher interest! its the devil i tell you) you really dont have to fall into their trap because its up to you on whether or not to swipe the card.

contrarily, this could be incentive to stop charging everything and would possibly keep some small portion of the stupids from getting into debt from which they can not escape. so i can see how the cc companies can be hailed as the saviors of consumer debt!

you could get smart and get one of those no interest cards. i currently have two. an american airlines card that has same as cash for 6 months on all purchases. why cant cc companies do this? i have one from best buy: no interst for 18 months. all required is $10 per month to remain "Active". if you dont pay off your purchase in 18 months however, you owe back payments on interest. if youre smart you can work your way around the system.