PDA

View Full Version : OU @ Washington: 6:45 p.m. kickoff

colleyvillesooner
5/5/2008, 05:53 PM
http://www.koco.com/sports/16164545/detail.html?rss=okl&psp=sports

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The college football season is still months away but a University of Oklahoma game is already being picked up by a television network.

This is sweet.

SteelClip49
5/5/2008, 06:02 PM
I can't wait to go up to Seattle and see a game in the house that Don James built. I also can't wait for Seattleites to voice their anger toward us regarding the Sonics...oh the fun it will be!!!!

auto
5/5/2008, 06:12 PM
damn, missing a night for dinner in Seattle, oh well like nite games

SteelClip49
5/5/2008, 06:22 PM
Usually you have to make reservations wayyyyyyyyyyyy in advance to eat in the Space Needle but when I was on a family vacation back in 1999, we were in Seattle and Vancouver for 2 weeks and we just happened to be in the Space Needle and put our name down. We were told we had to wait a good 2 years then there was an immediate cancellation and we got to eat. Man, what a incredible view as you are slowly going around.

AllAboutThe'O'
5/5/2008, 07:58 PM
With the ESPN Saturday night kickoff, wonder if that will be the announce team of Mike Patrick and Todd Blackledge. If so, there's definitely no shortage of restaurants in Seattle that Blackledge can go to for his ever-popular "Taste of the Town" in-game bit.

Phil
5/5/2008, 09:05 PM
damn, missing a night for dinner in Seattle, oh well like nite games

You won't miss dinner. That's a 4:45 Pacfiic kickoff. You should be able to grab a late dinner after the game.

BillyBall
5/5/2008, 09:24 PM
"Seattle Sooners" Trust me, there is no reason giving any advice to how to roll in Seattle. It will not be appreciated. You're better off...

PDXsooner
5/5/2008, 09:47 PM
I can't wait to go up to Seattle and see a game in the house that Don James built. I also can't wait for Seattleites to voice their anger toward us regarding the Sonics...oh the fun it will be!!!!

trust me, no one cares. seattle isn't a sonics town. it won't even occur to 99% of the people there that sooner fans will be sonic fans...

SoonerDood
5/5/2008, 10:18 PM
great a night game. One more incentive for Ty and "Tebow West" to play the Game of Their Lives.

auto
5/6/2008, 09:22 AM
You won't miss dinner. That's a 4:45 Pacfiic kickoff. You should be able to grab a late dinner after the game.

Excellent, I thought the time listed was local.:D

soonerinabilene
5/6/2008, 10:05 AM
With the ESPN Saturday night kickoff, wonder if that will be the announce team of Mike Patrick and Todd Blackledge. If so, there's definitely no shortage of restaurants in Seattle that Blackledge can go to for his ever-popular "Taste of the Town" in-game bit.

And also, we get to hear them announce a Notre Dame game again while we are playing, a la Tulsa this past season.

stoopified
5/6/2008, 01:18 PM
The BEST thing IMHO about this nationally televised game is that it should result in victory #100 for Bob at OU.OU will be the first school to have (4) 100+win coaches at one school.Bob will follow Benny,Bud,Barry in that honor.USC is the only other school close to that distinction and Pete needs 24 more wins.If the Bush fiasco blows up on him ,he won't be around to do so.

soonerfan28
5/6/2008, 01:25 PM
Any predictions on when he will pass Barry?

AlbqSooner
5/6/2008, 07:52 PM
Excellent, I thought the time listed was local.:D

The time listed was local - for KOCO in Oklahoma City.;)

stoopified
5/6/2008, 09:25 PM
Any predictions on when he will pass Barry?At his current pace of 10.8 wins per year,it will be by midseason of his 15th year - midseason 2013.Several years ago I predicted he would pass Barry in season 14,c'mon Bob time to pick up the pace.

At his current pace Bob will pass Bennie Owen (122 wins) in his 12th season,Bud (145 wins) in season 14,Barry (157 wins) during the following campaign.I still think he will pass Barry in season 14.That means 61 wins in 5 years,sounds good to me.

Collier11
5/8/2008, 12:31 AM
Just when I had finally started getting over the Oregon debacle which I was at, the UW trip is coming up which I am going to and I am starting to get angry again. Yes I should let it go but when a conf is so arrogant about its cheating, it just makes me fume!

See how you guys like this stuff

Sooners rise above politics

by: DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist
5/7/2008
THE BACKSTORY was the real story with this week’s announcement that the Oklahoma-Washington football game on Sept. 13 will start at 6:45 p.m. and be telecast on ESPN.

Once upon a time, and not that long ago, there was a very real chance that circumstances surrounding the attractive matchup at picturesque Husky Stadium in Seattle could turn so ugly that the game would get canceled.

It was less than two years ago when OU coach Bob Stoops threatened to break the contract with Washington. On Sept. 19, 2006, a frustrated Stoops didn’t stop there as he vented over a controversial loss four days earlier at Oregon.

Angry over blown calls by the officiating crew and two instant-replay officials, Stoops said OU might rethink its policy of playing Pac-10 teams if that conference didn’t change a rule that requires officials from its league be used at its home stadiums.

It wasn’t just the Oregon fiasco that was bugging Stoops. He’s still bothered over some questionable calls in OU’s 2005 loss at UCLA.

After feeling he got “jobbed” on two trips to the Left Coast, Stoops had reason to question the Pac-10’s policy.

But anyone who has followed the arrogant way the Pac-10 conducts its football business won’t be surprised to learn its officials will work the OU-Washington game.

Yup, the conference that has joined forces with the equally elitist Big Ten in blocking a Division I-A playoff system gave short shrift to Stoops’ request. The Pac-10 pooh-bahs decided that no Big 12 coach was going to tell them how to run their league.

That haywire policy will also be in effect for Oklahoma State’s season opener with Washington State on Aug. 30.

Even though the contest is at Seahawks Stadium in Seattle instead of the Cougars’ home field, the contract reads that the “officials for the game will be assigned by the home team’s conference office.”

You think Pac-10’s coordinator of officials David Cutaia will assign a Big 12 crew to the game? Yeah, right.

Cutaia was the referee for the meltdown in the 2006 OU-Oregon contest.

Although he was suspended a game for his shoddy work in that debacle, it didn’t stop the Pac-10 from promoting Cutaia to his current job.

That means Cutaia will also assign the people who will work the OU-Washington game. Which brings us to an obvious question: Why did OU decide to go ahead and play the Huskies?

“It really came down to ethics and class,” OU athletic director Joe Castiglione said in a telephone interview.

“There is a respect for the University of Washington; they didn’t do anything wrong.

“They are associated with the Pac-10, so the controversy that developed pulled them in.”

Another factor, Castiglione said, was the positive experience the two schools had when Washington played at OU the week before the Sooners’ ill-fated 2006 trip to Eugene, Ore.

A Big 12 crew worked the OU-Washington game in Norman. But that was only because the high lords inside the Pac-10 office stepped in and put the kibosh on an agreement Castiglione and Washington’s AD had worked out during contract negotiations.

“Originally, when the game was (in Norman), the officials would have been provided by the Pac-10, and then the game out there (Seattle) would have had Big 12 officials,” Castiglione said.

“The two schools were in complete agreement. But they (Huskies) were overruled by their own conference.

“They (Pac-10 officials) said, “we’ll be happy to send Pac-10 officials out there. But when you come here, we will not accept Big 12 officials.”

Castiglione, of course, told the Pac-10 bigwigs what they could do with that suggestion.There are undoubtedly many OU supporters, still seething over the Oregon outcome, who believe he should have done the same thing with the contract with Washington while also informing the Pac-10 that it could take its football and shove it.

“Once we stepped away from the whole (Oregon) situation, allowed the emotions to settle down a little bit and thought about it,” Castiglione said, “we decided we’d be guilty of a different kind of arrogance, and would adversely affect an outstanding institution for reasons that were beyond the control of both Oklahoma and Washington.

“Washington did all the right things when they came out here and played us. So, just to make a point, it didn’t seem to be the right thing to do.”

Check back with OU at about 10:15 p.m. on Sept. 13 to see if the Sooners still feel the same way

And some additional quotes

"I would say the Pac-10 has the most inconsistent officiating year in and year out of any conference in the country," Herbstreit said in an e-mail. "It becomes painfully obvious during the nonconference part of the season, when schools from other conferences come into their backyard."

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez told ESPN.com, on the subject of the now-defunct concept of split crews, "The Pac-10 guys protected their teams. It's still not uncommon, obviously."

And then there is the on field ref who got suspended for the OU game, got a promotion 6 months later and will decide which refs will work our game with UW

"The Pac-10 is fortunate to be able to attract as its Coordinator a person with Dave Cutaia's combination of on-field officiating experience and excellent performance and officiating administrative experience,'' Hansen said. "He is an outstanding referee, and I received many compliments about the manner in which he leads his crew from individuals knowledgeable about officiating as I conducted the search process for this position. He also has a strong knowledge and understanding of the football rules and how to apply them to a game."

auto
5/8/2008, 06:54 AM
I hope it's not even close enough to matter, but something tells me that it will.

stoopified
5/8/2008, 01:59 PM
Just when I had finally started getting over the Oregon debacle which I was at, the UW trip is coming up which I am going to and I am starting to get angry again. Yes I should let it go but when a conf is so arrogant about its cheating, it just makes me fume!

See how you guys like this stuff

Sooners rise above politics

by: DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist
5/7/2008
THE BACKSTORY was the real story with this week’s announcement that the Oklahoma-Washington football game on Sept. 13 will start at 6:45 p.m. and be telecast on ESPN.

Once upon a time, and not that long ago, there was a very real chance that circumstances surrounding the attractive matchup at picturesque Husky Stadium in Seattle could turn so ugly that the game would get canceled.

It was less than two years ago when OU coach Bob Stoops threatened to break the contract with Washington. On Sept. 19, 2006, a frustrated Stoops didn’t stop there as he vented over a controversial loss four days earlier at Oregon.

Angry over blown calls by the officiating crew and two instant-replay officials, Stoops said OU might rethink its policy of playing Pac-10 teams if that conference didn’t change a rule that requires officials from its league be used at its home stadiums.

It wasn’t just the Oregon fiasco that was bugging Stoops. He’s still bothered over some questionable calls in OU’s 2005 loss at UCLA.

After feeling he got “jobbed” on two trips to the Left Coast, Stoops had reason to question the Pac-10’s policy.

But anyone who has followed the arrogant way the Pac-10 conducts its football business won’t be surprised to learn its officials will work the OU-Washington game.

Yup, the conference that has joined forces with the equally elitist Big Ten in blocking a Division I-A playoff system gave short shrift to Stoops’ request. The Pac-10 pooh-bahs decided that no Big 12 coach was going to tell them how to run their league.

That haywire policy will also be in effect for Oklahoma State’s season opener with Washington State on Aug. 30.

Even though the contest is at Seahawks Stadium in Seattle instead of the Cougars’ home field, the contract reads that the “officials for the game will be assigned by the home team’s conference office.”

You think Pac-10’s coordinator of officials David Cutaia will assign a Big 12 crew to the game? Yeah, right.

Cutaia was the referee for the meltdown in the 2006 OU-Oregon contest.

Although he was suspended a game for his shoddy work in that debacle, it didn’t stop the Pac-10 from promoting Cutaia to his current job.

That means Cutaia will also assign the people who will work the OU-Washington game. Which brings us to an obvious question: Why did OU decide to go ahead and play the Huskies?

“It really came down to ethics and class,” OU athletic director Joe Castiglione said in a telephone interview.

“There is a respect for the University of Washington; they didn’t do anything wrong.

“They are associated with the Pac-10, so the controversy that developed pulled them in.”

Another factor, Castiglione said, was the positive experience the two schools had when Washington played at OU the week before the Sooners’ ill-fated 2006 trip to Eugene, Ore.

A Big 12 crew worked the OU-Washington game in Norman. But that was only because the high lords inside the Pac-10 office stepped in and put the kibosh on an agreement Castiglione and Washington’s AD had worked out during contract negotiations.

“Originally, when the game was (in Norman), the officials would have been provided by the Pac-10, and then the game out there (Seattle) would have had Big 12 officials,” Castiglione said.

“The two schools were in complete agreement. But they (Huskies) were overruled by their own conference.

“They (Pac-10 officials) said, “we’ll be happy to send Pac-10 officials out there. But when you come here, we will not accept Big 12 officials.”

Castiglione, of course, told the Pac-10 bigwigs what they could do with that suggestion.There are undoubtedly many OU supporters, still seething over the Oregon outcome, who believe he should have done the same thing with the contract with Washington while also informing the Pac-10 that it could take its football and shove it.

“Once we stepped away from the whole (Oregon) situation, allowed the emotions to settle down a little bit and thought about it,” Castiglione said, “we decided we’d be guilty of a different kind of arrogance, and would adversely affect an outstanding institution for reasons that were beyond the control of both Oklahoma and Washington.

“Washington did all the right things when they came out here and played us. So, just to make a point, it didn’t seem to be the right thing to do.”

Check back with OU at about 10:15 p.m. on Sept. 13 to see if the Sooners still feel the same way

And some additional quotes

"I would say the Pac-10 has the most inconsistent officiating year in and year out of any conference in the country," Herbstreit said in an e-mail. "It becomes painfully obvious during the nonconference part of the season, when schools from other conferences come into their backyard."

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez told ESPN.com, on the subject of the now-defunct concept of split crews, "The Pac-10 guys protected their teams. It's still not uncommon, obviously."

And then there is the on field ref who got suspended for the OU game, got a promotion 6 months later and will decide which refs will work our game with UW

"The Pac-10 is fortunate to be able to attract as its Coordinator a person with Dave Cutaia's combination of on-field officiating experience and excellent performance and officiating administrative experience,'' Hansen said. "He is an outstanding referee, and I received many compliments about the manner in which he leads his crew from individuals knowledgeable about officiating as I conducted the search process for this position. He also has a strong knowledge and understanding of the football rules and how to apply them to a game."Maybe it is just me BUT I swear I can smell the homer...uh I mean home-cooking already.

soonerfan28
5/8/2008, 02:13 PM
I especially like the last sentence. "He also has a strong knowledge and understanding of the football rules and how to apply them to a game".

47straight
5/8/2008, 06:22 PM
Wow, that guy got a promotion?

auto
5/8/2008, 06:57 PM
Wow, that guy got a promotion?

It's called the Tectura Principle. Promote the ones who can't do their job, fire good people who complain.:D

WA. Sooner
5/9/2008, 07:21 AM
I got my 3 tickets today on stub hub. Going to be a long 4 months