PDA

View Full Version : Mike Gravel the Libertarian...

sooneron
5/5/2008, 12:03 PM
A long while back I looked into his campaign and somehow get his e-mail each week.

I thought I would pass this along for some reason. I want to see what you guys think. My posting of this is in no way an advocacy, just passing along info on a candidate that I felt was slighted as the msm found him to be unelectable. I feel that every candidate deserves a fair shake and Mike was raising some good points when I first saw him interviewed. Then, the media and the Dem party turned their backs on him, but he kept plugging along to become a footnote or late night talk show punch line...

The Road to Denver!
May 5, 2008

Friends & Supporters,
Libertarians will select their presidential candidate at their National Convention in Denver at the end of this month. We have been working tirelessly to secure the nomination. We Libertarians have an outside chance of winning the general election. My political career has taught me that anything is possible, particularly when the nation is headed for a perfect storm.

I need your help to field a credible campaign in Denver and to make a Libertarian victory in the fall a reality. Your personal and financial support is crucial at this time. Please contribute.

If chosen by the Libertarian Party as their standard bearer, I will campaign in every state to not only grow the party, but to win in November. The American People are fed up with the two-party monopoly and the corruption of our political system. Libertarian values are more in line with the values of most Americans. The voters do not support pre-emptive war or an imperial foreign policy that both Republican and Democratic administrations have pursued for more than half century--under the influence of the military-industrial complex and greedy Wall Street special interests.

The corporate media-controlled televised debates have offered tepid, if not farcical, levels of political dialogue. Once I become the Libertarian nominee with your support, I will change these dynamics with serious questions that the pundits dare not ask. Whether the Democratic nomination ultimately goes to Obama or Clinton, I will ask them and McCain to explain to the American people: Why is it that the U.S. spends more on defense than the rest of the world put together, when no nation on earth wants to attack us? Our schools are failing, our citizens are without adequate healthcare. Neither our environmental problems, nor our energy needs are properly addressed. Our nation's physical infrastructure is in shambles. Our nation is bankrupt--in hock to other nations. Why? We are a great people blessed by history. How could our leadership and government have squandered so much?

The definition of freedom is participation in power. The central power of government is lawmaking. Without participating in that kind of power we are not really free. We will continue to delude ourselves until we gain control of government as the Founding Fathers envisioned. Americans must become lawmakers so they can make and repeal laws and decide the policies that affect their lives. Decisions the Congress seems incapable of making. The solution to our dilemma of governance does not lie within the capability of representative government. If it did, we would not be in the mess we are in today. The solution lies with the people, who can creatively address these problems with a lot more common sense and a lot less government.

Electing good people to office is very important, but it simply is not enough. American citizens must be brought into the operations of government as lawmakers, in partnership with their elected officials. If I am elected president I will be doubly honored to be the People's legislative leader, even though I will only have one vote under the procedures of the National Initiative. The Congress will never pass my legislative agenda to reform the nation, but I am convinced that the American people would enact it.

Please empower yourself today by voting for the National Initiative, share this message with everyone who wants real change, real power and real solutions. And if you are able, please contribute to our campaign. If you are planning to come to Denver as a delegate, I look forward to meeting you there.

Remember! Libertarians have an unusual obligation in this election year. They must turn this country around and restore freedom to the people as individuals and as a constituency. Government oppression and this Republican-Democratic monopoly must end.

Yours in peace, justice, liberty and freedom.

SoonerProphet
5/5/2008, 12:39 PM
A bit skeptical on his National Initiative and why he feels the need for a constitutional amendment.

NormanPride
5/5/2008, 02:07 PM
I think this line:
"Why is it that the U.S. spends more on defense than the rest of the world put together, when no nation on earth wants to attack us?"

Is ridiculous. Now, whether we spend too much on national defense or not is a good question. But stating it like this is inflammatory and misleading.