PDA

View Full Version : So i spent the weekend

OKLA21FAN
5/5/2008, 09:15 AM
just driving around my old stomping grounds in Tulsa. I had most of Saturday to kill so I just drove around and saw some sights.

Some observations:

1) That ice storm was really bad and the effects will be seen for decades.
2) I think some of the same pot holes are still there when I moved away almost 10 years ago.
3) Coney Islander is still the bomb. as well as the Full Moon's Tortilla soup.
4) Tulsa traffic is worse than Dallas traffic (at least on a saturday afternoon)
5) Amazing to see all the vacant lots in what used to be one of the premier neighborhoods around 31st and Lewis. I guess the value of the land is higher than one with an 'old' house on it.
6) the river was 'up' (probably a good thing)
7) Not seeing "Bell's" at the fairgrounds made me sad.
8) Woodward Park, is there a nicer urban park in the nation? (probably, but don't ruin the moment)
9) Lots of bike riders in Tulsa (and yes, i had a 'BikerFox' sighting around 31st and Utica)
10) As much as I would like to say that 'Tulsa > OKC', I would be lying if I did. :pop:

Curly Bill
5/5/2008, 09:19 AM
You have money to just "drive around?"

Youze must be rich!

BudSooner
5/5/2008, 09:38 AM
just driving around my old stomping grounds in Tulsa. I had most of Saturday to kill so I just drove around and saw some sights.

Some observations:

1) That ice storm was really bad and the effects will be seen for decades.
2) I think some of the same pot holes are still there when I moved away almost 10 years ago.
4) Tulsa traffic is worse than Dallas traffic (at least on a saturday afternoon)
5) Amazing to see all the vacant lots in what used to be one of the premier neighborhoods around 31st and Lewis. I guess the value of the land is higher than one with an 'old' house on it.
6) the river was 'up' (probably a good thing)
7) Not seeing "Bell's" at the fairgrounds made me sad.
8) Woodward Park, is there a nicer urban park in the nation? (probably, but don't ruin the moment)
9) Lots of bike riders in Tulsa (and yes, i had a 'BikerFox' sighting around 31st and Utica)
10) As much as I would like to say that 'Tulsa > OKC', I would be lying if I did. :pop:

The river was up due to the homeless needing a place to ****, Bells old site will be a Wal Mart if Kathy Taylor has anything to say about it, Bike riders? 2 points...thats all i've got to say about them.
Don't they have river parks/the creek turnpike south loop to ride on? Hell no, they have to get in my way in between appointments.

Mjcpr
5/5/2008, 09:48 AM
The river was up due to the homeless needing a place to ****, Bells old site will be a Wal Mart if Kathy Taylor has anything to say about it

She doesn't, the fairgrounds is not annexed by the city of Tulsa. At least not until January 1, 2009 but that was done by the previous administration, I think, and Roscoe Turner.

BudSooner
5/5/2008, 09:54 AM
She doesn't, the fairgrounds is not annexed by the city of Tulsa. At least not until January 1, 2009 but that was done by the previous administration, I think, and Roscoe Turner.

Yer sarcasm meter is broken me thinks.;)
The funny thing about her is that she was in this big hurry to move out of the current city offices and into a new building with fancy offices...yet there is crap for parking around the place.
And yesterday I read in the paper that there is a study to see if it is feasible to add additional floors to the current building.

Not on top of that place there ain't. I'm no engineer but isn't the idea of adding NEW floors to an aging structure just a disaster waiting to happen?

Mjcpr
5/5/2008, 10:00 AM
Yer sarcasm meter is broken me thinks.;)
The funny thing about her is that she was in this big hurry to move out of the current city offices and into a new building with fancy offices...yet there is crap for parking around the place.
And yesterday I read in the paper that there is a study to see if it is feasible to add additional floors to the current building.

Not on top of that place there ain't. I'm no engineer but isn't the idea of adding NEW floors to an aging structure just a disaster waiting to happen?

There are 4 parking garages/lots available to the employees within 2 or 3 blocks of OTC, the closer they are the more expensive to the employee. The surface lot is free, however. And there is a lot reserved for visitors to OTC across the street from it so there is plenty of parking. It was in the newspaper a while back.....or, ask bri, he knows. :)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080424_1_A13_hTheC65578

And what you read about adding 3 floors to the existing building was talking about adding them to the Tulsa COUNTY Administration building and has nothing to do with City Hall, OTC or Mayor Taylor.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080504_1_A1_hComm71421

:)

BudSooner
5/5/2008, 10:04 AM
There are 4 parking garages/lots available to the employees within 2 or 3 blocks of OTC, the closer they are the more expensive to the employee. The surface lot is free, however. And there is a lot reserved for visitors to OTC across the street from it so there is plenty of parking. It was in the newspaper a while back.....or, ask bri, he knows. :)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080424_1_A13_hTheC65578

And what you read about adding 3 floors to the existing building was talking about adding them to the Tulsa COUNTY Administration building and has nothing to do with City Hall, OTC or Mayor Taylor.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080504_1_A1_hComm71421

:)
Thanks for the clarification, my misunderstanding is corrected sir.:D

But she did manage to run off Bells though. :P

Mjcpr
5/5/2008, 10:05 AM
Let's not have it happen again.

:D

Mjcpr
5/5/2008, 10:06 AM
But she did manage to run off Bells though. :P

I will assume you're kidding, but if you're not, that was Randi Miller, one of the County Commissioners. I didn't understand it either.

BudSooner
5/5/2008, 10:10 AM
I will assume you're kidding, but if you're not, that was Randi Miller, one of the County Commissioners. I didn't understand it either.

It was more of a lack of an attempt to keep them here, but I get where your coming from.
I understand, now this is a rumor keep in mind..that Taylor is a relative to the Murphy Brothers, and part of said "rumor" is that Murphy Bros. wanted more control during the fair but Bells didn't want that to happen.
Now, how much is true remains to be seen except that Bells is gone and Murphy boys have pretty much free reign to do what they want during the event.

Mjcpr
5/5/2008, 10:15 AM
The city has no "jurisdiction" at the fairgrounds until January 1, 2009.....all of the decisions made regarding Bells and anything else at the FG is made by Tulsa County.

KC//CRIMSON
5/5/2008, 10:25 AM

Coney Islander - The coney is still the bomb. I still like the old school location across the street better than the newer place.

Full Moon Cafe - The food is still pretty solid. I always liked the 15th street location/food better than the Sheridan location. The sushi joint on top of the hill at the old location is pretty damn good.

yermom
5/5/2008, 05:26 PM
mmm...Coney Islander

+1 on Bell's :(

and some people ride a bike for transportation, ****ers.