PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens: Worst Apology Ever?

colleyvillesooner
5/5/2008, 09:01 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3381677

In his first public comments since he was linked to an extramarital affair, the former New York Yankees pitcher issued a statement to the Houston Chronicle that did not detail what those mistakes were.

Roger Clemens

Clemens

Clemens did take the opportunity to deny that he had an affair with country singer Mindy McCready, as was reported by the New York Daily News. He also said that he had not taken performance-enhancing drugs.

"I know that many people want to know what I have to say about the recent articles in the media," Clemens said in the statement. "Even though these articles contain many false accusations and mistakes, I need to say that I have made mistakes in my personal life for which I am sorry. I have apologized to my family and apologize to my fans. Like everyone, I have flaws. I have sometimes made choices which have not been right."

When looking back to the first accusations of steroid use, does anyone want a do-over more than Clemens. He goes the Pettite route, and none of this probably comes out.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/5/2008, 09:14 AM
Exactly..One lie introduces another for him.....Next thing you know we're gonna hear he had an homosexual relationship with David Wells

SteelClip49
5/5/2008, 09:19 AM
Are Longhorns good for anything? Is there one former Whorn out there we can say is actually decent?

Curly Bill
5/5/2008, 09:29 AM
Are Longhorns good for anything? Is there one former Whorn out there we can say is actually decent?

Earl Campbell makes some good hot links.

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0000429551129_LG.jpg

JohnnyMack
5/5/2008, 09:32 AM

Nope. In fact they're all part of an Illuminati type cult, hell bent on the destruction of Western Civilization.

SteelClip49
5/5/2008, 09:44 AM
Earl Campbell was the only one I could think of.....said he values his degree more than what he did in football...and I want some hot links!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
5/5/2008, 09:47 AM
Just to make sure you get the Longhorn taste out, i smother them with Lee Roy Selmon's barbecue sauce

Taxman71
5/5/2008, 09:59 AM
Exactly..One lie introduces another for him.....Next thing you know we're gonna hear he had an homosexual relationship with David Wells

Hard to imagine a whorn having manlove with a guy nicknamed Boomer.

mxATVracer10
5/5/2008, 10:07 AM

Wonder who'd be the catcher in that one! :texan:

SteelClip49
5/5/2008, 10:09 AM
S.T.E.P. I like your way of thinking.

TexasLidig8r
5/5/2008, 10:27 AM

Let's see.. there's Michael Dell.. David Geffen... Gary Kelley (CEO of Southwest Airlines)... Red McCombs.... Tex Schramm... Tom Landry... Angus G. Wynne (founder of 6 Flags)... Robert Brown (President of Boston University)... John Hubbard (historian and former president of USC).... W. Page Keeton (noted attorney and expert on tort law)... Charles McCormick (former dean of UNC Law School and author of noted treatise on Evidence and Damages)... Walter Cronkite... Bill Moyers... James Baker (Secretary of State)... William J. Bennett (former Secretary of Education)... Lloyd Benson... Kay Bailey Hutchinson (US Senator)... Lady Bird Johnson... Sam Rayburn (former Speaker of the House)... Alan Bean (lunar module pilot, Apollo 12).. O. H. Frazier (preiminent heart surgeon)...

To name just a few. Take your pick.

JohnnyMack
5/5/2008, 10:28 AM
You pretty much cancel all of them out.

Just sayin'.

colleyvillesooner
5/5/2008, 10:34 AM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/bushtit/smilies/rimshot.gif

JohnnyMack
5/5/2008, 10:36 AM
Thank you! I'll be here all week. Try the fish. Tip your waitress.

soonerscuba
5/5/2008, 10:37 AM
I got 50-1 odds that Bill Bennett is the bestest horn ever.

NormanPride
5/5/2008, 10:51 AM
Red McCombs? Seriously? Seriously?

...Seriously?

SteelClip49
5/5/2008, 11:02 AM
Lidig8r, least you didn't mention that gay actor.

Damn, Cronkite is a horn :(

TexasLidig8r
5/5/2008, 12:08 PM
Lidig8r, least you didn't mention that gay actor.

oh.. you mean that gay actor who has bagged more hollywood starlets than pretty much any other male on the planet? THAT gay actor....??

(ok ok.. I will give you that)

JohnnyMack
5/5/2008, 12:09 PM
oh.. you mean that gay actor who has bagged more hollywood starlets than pretty much any other male on the planet? THAT gay actor....??

Yeah, you're not helping your cause.

At. All.

TexasLidig8r
5/5/2008, 12:11 PM
Red McCombs? Seriously? Seriously?

...Seriously?

The same Red McCombs who owned three professional sports franchises, who built his financial empire after having to initially drop out of UT to sell cars to make ends meet, who gave a Fifty Million dollar donation to UT and who annually contributes more than one million dollars per year to various charities? That Red McCombs?

r5TPsooner
5/5/2008, 12:15 PM
As a Yankee fan I can honestly say that I never liked the guy. He is the biggest ******* that God ever created and an overrated pitcher in crunch time.

mdklatt
5/5/2008, 12:19 PM
Michael Dell

Didn't he drop out of UT?

David Geffen

Figures. The record industry is pure evil.

Gary Kelley (CEO of Southwest Airlines)

He's probably the one that killed the mandatory inspections.

Angus G. Wynne (founder of 6 Flags)

Which was bought out by an Oklahoma company.

William J. Bennett (former Secretary of Education)

And current hypocrite and semi-*********.

fadada1
5/5/2008, 12:27 PM
Let's see.. there's Michael Dell.. David Geffen... Gary Kelley (CEO of Southwest Airlines)... Red McCombs.... Tex Schramm... Tom Landry... Angus G. Wynne (founder of 6 Flags)... Robert Brown (President of Boston University)... John Hubbard (historian and former president of USC).... W. Page Keeton (noted attorney and expert on tort law)... Charles McCormick (former dean of UNC Law School and author of noted treatise on Evidence and Damages)... Walter Cronkite... Bill Moyers... James Baker (Secretary of State)... William J. Bennett (former Secretary of Education)... Lloyd Benson... Kay Bailey Hutchinson (US Senator)... Lady Bird Johnson... Sam Rayburn (former Speaker of the House)... Alan Bean (lunar module pilot, Apollo 12).. O. H. Frazier (preiminent heart surgeon)...

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/7268/spicolifc8.png (http://imageshack.us)
THOSE GUYS ARE FAGS!!!!

Sooner_Bob
5/5/2008, 12:30 PM
He's only sorry he got caught.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/5/2008, 12:38 PM
I did not take HGH

I did not sleep wit da 15 year old.

I only took that shower with Wells because they were all taken up.

I only went to UT because they allowed me to use crayons on term papers.(that one may be true)

My wife is roided out, not me.

Curly Bill
5/5/2008, 02:07 PM

OK then, I'm OK with the highlighted ones....

the rest meh...

Taxman71
5/5/2008, 02:15 PM
I'll keep Cronkite and ditch the rest.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/5/2008, 03:18 PM
Walter Cronkite, Lloyd Benson, Lady Bird Johnson, Sam Rayburn.

I wouldn't necessarily lay claim to these people. I don't understand the affection for Lady Bird, outside of putting up with a tyranical man, she planted wild flowers and covered up junked cars...Not to bash, just asking on Lady Bird because I don't get it.

Otherwise your list was impressive.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/5/2008, 03:21 PM
Clemens is single handedly destroying everything he worked years to make and annoint a Hall of Fame spot. I see that and fame slipping into the sunset and leaving him behind...

Scott D
5/5/2008, 09:36 PM
I love it, the guy has a bigger case of open mouth insert foot than even Kanye West.

The more he talks, the less people believe him. Way for ole Roger to be non-committal on his transgressions. I guess he can go play a game of non-committal drop the soap with Mark McGwire, they can "not be here to talk about the past, but to talk about the future".

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2008, 08:38 AM
I did not do anything I m accused of, but I apologize

BudSooner
5/6/2008, 08:52 AM
There's Michael Dell-I got nuthin.
David Geffen-gay, as hell.
Gary Kelley (CEO of Southwest Airlines)Crazy bastard.
Red McCombs-Meh.
Tex Schramm-again, meh.
Tom Landry-Ok, ya got me there, when I think of coaches who exibited class...Tom is tops on my list, damn you Jerry Jones!
Angus G. Wynne (founder of 6 Flags)So, whats your point?
Robert Brown (President of Boston University)See, he got the hell out of one hell hole and went to another.
John Hubbard (historian and former president of USC)Native born texan and former usc prez...kinda like a choice between the runs and eating a **** sandwich, what's the diff?
W. Page Keeton (noted attorney and expert on tort law)Pffft, next?
Charles McCormick (former dean of UNC Law School and author of noted treatise on Evidence and Damages)I have nothing to add here.
Walter Cronkite-Uncle Walter worked for CBS, nuff said...see Dan Rather.
Bill Moyers-I kinda like the guy, even if he is a horn.
James Baker (Secretary of State)Man of integrity, you sure he was from Texas?
William J. Bennett (former Secretary of Education)He should have cracked down on the loser teachers during his reign, there is a reason our nations education system is in the ****ter, and you throw this guy up here, heh..horns.
Lloyd Benson-Whats the butler from "Soap" got to do with anything?
Kay Bailey Hutchinson (US Senator)nm
Lady Bird Johnson-Torn between the Celtics and Lakers....classy lady, even if she was a horn.
Sam Rayburn (former Speaker of the House)Has a helluva lake named for him.
Alan Bean (lunar module pilot, Apollo 12)Come on now, astronauts are cool no matter what state they are from.
O. H. Frazier (preiminent heart surgeon)Ok, good one.

Beef
5/6/2008, 09:19 AM

James Garner could still out-bag your bongo playing fruit loop.

TexasLidig8r
5/6/2008, 11:03 AM
James Garner could still out-bag your bongo playing fruit loop.

His role in Grand Prix earns him a permanent place in my hall of fame... starts out driving a Lotus... crashes the number one driver on the Lotus team causing him severe injuries... bags the dude's wife while he is recuperating... gets canned by the Lotus team... gets a ride with the Japanese team on the F1 circuit.. dumps the crashed dude's wife... wins the Formula One championship.

Greatness.

soonerinabilene
5/6/2008, 11:08 AM
Clemens is single handedly destroying everything he worked years to make and annoint a Hall of Fame spot. I see that and fame slipping into the sunset and leaving him behind...

One good thing will come out of this. Greg Maddux will now be considered the best pitcher in the last 20 years, which is what should have been thought in the first place.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2008, 11:33 AM
Something Bill Simmons said in his book that I agree with: Roger Clemens is one of the best pitchers ever in meaningless games

TexasLidig8r
5/6/2008, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't necessarily lay claim to these people. I don't understand the affection for Lady Bird, outside of putting up with a tyranical man, she planted wild flowers and covered up junked cars...Not to bash, just asking on Lady Bird because I don't get it.

Otherwise your list was impressive.

She obtained two undergrad degrees from UT in he 1930s, one with honors, the other cum laude.... and this was at a time when women were not routinely admitted into universities as they are now.

She purchased a radio station in 1943, served as President of LBJ Holding Co., then bought a television station (which turned into the CBS affiliate in Austin) in 1952. Her investment of $41,000 in these ventures, resulted in approximately $150 million for her company.

In D.C., she started the Capital Beautification Program and promoted the Highway Beautification Act.

She was the first, First Lady with her own press secretary, chief of staff and liaison with Congress.

She served on the Board of Regents for UT for 7 years, and was the first woman to serve on the National Geographic's Board of Trustees.

She assisted in raising $10 million and then founded the National Wildflower Research Center.

She received the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal.

She was so far ahead of her time.

soonerinabilene
5/6/2008, 11:51 AM
She obtained two undergrad degrees from UT in he 1930s, one with honors, the other cum laude.... and this was at a time when women were not routinely admitted into universities as they are now.

She purchased a radio station in 1943, served as President of LBJ Holding Co., then bought a television station (which turned into the CBS affiliate in Austin) in 1952. Her investment of $41,000 in these ventures, resulted in approximately $150 million for her company.

In D.C., she started the Capital Beautification Program and promoted the Highway Beautification Act.

She was the first, First Lady with her own press secretary, chief of staff and liaison with Congress.

She served on the Board of Regents for UT for 7 years, and was the first woman to serve on the National Geographic's Board of Trustees.

She assisted in raising $10 million and then founded the National Wildflower Research Center.

She received the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal.

She was so far ahead of her time.

She also did the dishes without having to be told.

RacerX
5/6/2008, 11:58 AM
http://b7.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00752/74/68/752108647_s.jpg

Curly Bill
5/6/2008, 02:08 PM
She served on the Board of Regents for UT for 7 years,

Is this considered a positive?

BudSooner
5/6/2008, 02:31 PM
Heh, nice one CB.

TexasLidig8r
5/6/2008, 03:17 PM
Is this considered a positive?

When they vote to cut down a bunch of trees that a bunch of flippin' tree huggin' liberals were camped out in to preserve them to make way for the Erwin Special Event Center.. ESPECIALLY then... oh hell yes!

bluedogok
5/6/2008, 08:34 PM
Well, he did get his start in broadcasting at WKY and did the OU games in 1937 on WKY Radio.

TV Guide - Biographies: Walter Cronkite (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/walter-cronkite/bio/178748)
Called University of Oklahoma football games for an Oklahoma City radio station in 1937.

She pretty much had to be close to a saint to put up with him......

Curly Bill
5/6/2008, 09:00 PM
When they vote to cut down a bunch of trees that a bunch of flippin' tree huggin' liberals were camped out in to preserve them to make way for the Erwin Special Event Center.. ESPECIALLY then... oh hell yes!

Yeah, but did they cut down the trees with the tree huggin' liberals still in them? :D

TexasLidig8r
5/7/2008, 08:44 AM
Yeah, but did they cut down the trees with the tree huggin' liberals still in them? :D

As a matter of fact.. the story goes...

Frank Erwin was a member of the Texas Board of Regents, which oversees the eight campuses of the state university, from 1962 to '75 and was chairman for five of those years. Erwin exercised control over all aspects of the University of Texas at Austin's affairs. In 1968 he pushed through a $15 million plan to expand Belmont Hall, the complex of athletic offices built into the side of Memorial Stadium. But a group of students and activists objected because the plans called for razing a row of beautiful old trees. While protesters clung to the branches, awaiting a judge's order that would have stayed the tree-cutting, Erwin personally directed construction workers to topple the trees with chain saws. The judge's order arrived 45 minutes after the job was done.

Life was so much easier back then.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/7/2008, 08:46 AM
none of this makes up for the fact that Mack Brown started aids..he said so on The Ticket in 2004

OKLA21FAN
5/7/2008, 08:55 AM
none of this makes up for the fact that Mack Brown started aids..he said so on The Ticket in 2004

i always thought that Nolan Ryan did that (something about the Snow Monkeys). thanks for clearing that up for me.

Curly Bill
5/7/2008, 09:00 AM
As a matter of fact.. the story goes...

Frank Erwin was a member of the Texas Board of Regents, which oversees the eight campuses of the state university, from 1962 to '75 and was chairman for five of those years. Erwin exercised control over all aspects of the University of Texas at Austin's affairs. In 1968 he pushed through a $15 million plan to expand Belmont Hall, the complex of athletic offices built into the side of Memorial Stadium. But a group of students and activists objected because the plans called for razing a row of beautiful old trees. While protesters clung to the branches, awaiting a judge's order that would have stayed the tree-cutting, Erwin personally directed construction workers to topple the trees with chain saws. The judge's order arrived 45 minutes after the job was done.

Life was so much easier back then.

I do like this story, because if there's anything worse then a :texan: it's a tree huggin liberal :texan: :D :D

TexasLidig8r
5/7/2008, 09:49 AM
i always thought that Nolan Ryan did that (something about the Snow Monkeys). thanks for clearing that up for me.

Nolan Ryan is the Snow Monkey Ambassador... that had to have been one of the top 5 funniest interviews in the history of the Ticket.. PURE GOLD!

OKLA21FAN
5/7/2008, 09:52 AM
Nolan Ryan is the Snow Monkey Ambassador... that had to have been one of the top 5 funniest interviews in the history of the Ticket.. PURE GOLD!

<Grubes>exactly<Grubes> :pop: