PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that OK is dumping the sales tax on food?

SoonerStormchaser
5/5/2008, 06:56 AM
I forget where I heard it, but I thought it would've been more of a headline if it were true.

I'm probably having auditory hallucinations again.

Okla-homey
5/5/2008, 07:33 AM
I support dumping the sales tax on groceries, but not on prepared food. I say this because people can live without restaurant/fast food chow, but you gotta have groceries.

Either that, or move in with Bocephus and learn to skin a buck or run a trot line.

Moreover, I say dump the cheezy income tax and go to sales taxes to pay for the gubmint. I'd rather pay the gubmint 20% on every dollar I spend, rather than at least 30% on every dollar I earn. Of course, libs say that's all regressive and stuff. I say, yo mama. What's regressive is the current scheme that doesn't incentivize people to save money.

Of course, the sales tax only dealio will never happen. CPA's, the tax bar, residential realtors, homebuilders and building materials sellers will see to it.

soonerbrat
5/5/2008, 07:52 AM
I support dumping the sales tax on groceries, but not on prepared food. I say this because people can live without restaurant/fast food chow, but you gotta have groceries.

Either that, or move in with Bocephus and learn to skin a buck or run a trot line.

Moreover, I say dump the cheezy income tax and go to sales taxes to pay for the gubmint. I'd rather pay the gubmint 20% on every dollar I spend, rather than at least 30% on every dollar I earn. Of course, libs say that's all regressive and stuff. I say, yo mama. What's regressive is the current scheme that doesn't incentivize people to save money.

Of course, the sales tax only dealio will never happen. CPA's, the tax bar, residential realtors, homebuilders and building materials sellers will see to it.

see, i KNEW you were the smartest person I know.

Viking Kitten
5/5/2008, 09:46 AM
That elimination of the grocery tax was a Senate bill from earlier this session. It died.

Mjcpr
5/5/2008, 09:49 AM
And, I think it was for the state sales tax only.

SoonerInKCMO
5/5/2008, 10:06 AM
What's regressive is the current scheme that doesn't incentivize people to save money.

Seeing how much I could save in income taxes by putting pre-tax money into my 401(k) sure incentivized me to save.

royalfan5
5/5/2008, 10:06 AM
So when you guys go to the grocery store, you don't get access to proper beer and pay sales tax on food? That doesn't sound like much fun.

Viking Kitten
5/5/2008, 10:48 AM
...you don't get access to proper beer...

Dude, don't get me started.

One bill that is still alive is the Food Security Act, that would eliminate sales tax on food sold at farmer's markets. That one has bipartisan support and seems likely to get the Governor's sig.

olevetonahill
5/5/2008, 03:42 PM
Do you pay taxes on Base ?

NormanPride
5/5/2008, 04:06 PM
Oklahoma figures out every way to tax us, then finds every way to not use that money on roads and schools. :D

Taxman71
5/5/2008, 04:46 PM
Oklahoma figures out every way to tax us, then the schools find every way to not use that money on kids and teachers. :D

Fixed.

SoonerStormchaser
5/5/2008, 04:46 PM
Do you pay taxes on Base ?

At the BX, no...but they don't sell food at the BX. At the Commissary, they sell all of it with a 5% "surcharge" tacked onto your bill.

olevetonahill
5/5/2008, 04:55 PM
At the BX, no...but they don't sell food at the BX. At the Commissary, they sell all of it with a 5% "surcharge" tacked onto your bill.

Is there enough savings to Buy On Base Over the Local Stores ?

NormanPride
5/5/2008, 05:11 PM
Fixed.

I don't want to turn this into an education thread, but I'd love an explanation of this.

SoonerStormchaser
5/5/2008, 05:33 PM
Is there enough savings to Buy On Base Over the Local Stores ?

Depends...now that I'm up there on a daily basis, it does save me a little bit of $$ to buy some items there (their meat, however, kicks the **** outta every other store except the former Albertsons stores in Norman). But most of the items are cheaper, if not the same, down in Norman.

mdklatt
5/5/2008, 05:41 PM
I don't want to turn this into an education thread, but I'd love an explanation of this.

He's probably talking about all the money wasted on administration in this state, like school districts that don't even have a high school.

Taxman71
5/6/2008, 06:57 AM
He's probably talking about all the money wasted on administration in this state, like school districts that don't even have a high school.

Basically yes. Education system gets the lion share of the state's revenue, and is always in need of more due to mismanagement at the highest level. That is why the legislature is unwilling to appropriate more to education because they know it won't go to where it is needed....teachers and kids. I would liken it to sending aid to certain African countries where the leaders horde it for their own benefit and only give a fraction to the intended recipients.

Okla-homey
5/6/2008, 07:05 AM
Basically yes. Education system gets the lion share of the state's revenue, and is always in need of more due to mismanagement at the highest level. That is why the legislature is unwilling to appropriate more to education because they know it won't go to where it is needed....teachers and kids. I would liken it to sending aid to certain African countries where the leaders horde it for their own benefit and only give a fraction to the intended recipients.

Not to mention all the strap-hangers and assorted hangers-on that don't add any value and the passle of non-credentialed personnel at the school, district and state level.

Taxman71
5/6/2008, 09:22 AM
It is no better at the university level. Every since the power to raise tuition was taken from the legislature 6 or 7 years ago, Oklahoma colleges have raised tuition at record rates each year. State colleges ask for more money every year and threaten to raise tuition...which they do regardless. This year, OU raises tuition 9.9% complaining that the increase is needed to keep professors or else they will start a hiring freeze/layoffs, etc. As someone who sees the campus daily, OU doesn't look hardup for money as they appear to be spending money like Chesapeake. Professorships and the students that are ALREADY on campus are near the bottom of the list of priorities.

Bottom line is that they have no accountability or incentive to properly manage their resources. If they spend too much, they simply whine to the legislature and raise tuition.

soonerbrat
5/6/2008, 09:36 AM
the tuition at OU for Oklahoma residents is still WAY lower than MANY state universities. I think the increase is going to be up to about $6500 per year now. per YEAR.