PDA

View Full Version : Sorry guys...I think it's time for a new head coach.

SoonerStormchaser
5/5/2008, 06:47 AM
You don't get swept by KANSAS for the first time since 1979 and live to tell the tale. I mean c'mon...NINTH in the Big XII?!?!?!?!?

setem
5/5/2008, 08:48 AM
I agree 100%

Sonny is running this program into the ground. Even though he is bring in great talent, he is not producing with it. This is a rebuilding year for us but that does not mean we should throw the season out the window. These guys proved they can play with the big boys when they split those 2 games with UCLA. Sonny has not motivated these guys to win big games...he has not motivated them to win PERIOD!

If OUr guys were getting better and it looked like we are on the up and up, then I might have some understanding. The fact that we most likely will not make the tournament shows that we not heading in a good direction. If we dont make the tournament then these guys will not have the experience of being there and come next year we will not be any better.

Also Sonny is a jerk and no one likes him!

Get his *** out of there!

Curly Bill
5/5/2008, 09:18 AM
Can he and Venables switch spots? :D

SOONER STEAKER
5/5/2008, 09:39 AM
It's agreed that SG must go.

Let's bring in "Lloyd 'ZERO' SIMMONS" to get the program back on track. The Seminole State Legend can bring back the mustard that is missing from our mess kit. If not "ZERO" why not the staff at OCU, Crabaugh and Lytle , they can win some games. I don't have all the answers for the baseball program, but the only solution is getting a new coach to guide our program in the right direction!!

Ardmore_Sooner
5/5/2008, 12:07 PM
Also Sonny is a jerk and no one likes him!

So you've met him personally to make these conclusions?

setem
5/5/2008, 03:43 PM
As a matter of fact I have met him! More than once for that matter. He looks down on high school coaches and he is just a mean guy in general.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/5/2008, 03:49 PM
Just curious, because the times I've met him he was the total opposite. I know a lot of people run with what Traber says about him and never actually know the person. Wasn't bashing, just curious! :D

Baseball players I talk to say that he is a really nice guy.

poke4christ
5/5/2008, 07:41 PM
As a matter of fact I have met him! More than once for that matter. He looks down on high school coaches and he is just a mean guy in general.

I heard Jim Trabber go off on the animal saying something very similar. He says that he just doesn't think he's a very good guy. He also precessed it by saying that he has nothing but good things to say about Stoops and Capel since people accuse him of being biased toward OU. I forget the name of the guy, but he said he had stabbed some other OU coach in the back who was lined up for the position. Not giving my own opinion (don't have one since I have no first hand experience) just trying to give an accurate retelling of what trabber said.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/5/2008, 08:05 PM
Well I'm in with a lot of the guys at The Animal, and they all agree that Trabber has a very misconstrued view of Coach G.

poke4christ
5/5/2008, 09:45 PM
Well I'm in with a lot of the guys at The Animal, and they all agree that Trabber has a very misconstrued view of Coach G.

Sometimes one experience can sour your entire view on somebody. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened with trabber.

SOONER STEAKER
5/6/2008, 12:57 AM
SG is a good guy, but when you get to have to deal with him he becomes a monster who knows no wrong. IN dealing with Tom Holliday, Tom would tell ya off to your face so you respected the guy for giving his opinion. With SG, he just plays nice to your face and then when your not looking, he talks behind your back like the coward he is.

I wish Frank Anderson would have busted him in the chope when SG said he wanted to kick his butt at homeplate when OSU swept us at the Brick that year when Pistol Pete was on our dugout with the broom.

We'll have to put up with SG one more year as Joe C will not buy out SG's contract. Which is really sad for our baseball program. Joe C won't admit he made a mistake when he hired SG after Gene Stephenson walked on us.

It's a sad day for OU baseball as long as SG is leading the program further into the depths of being average at best.

OUmillenium
5/6/2008, 10:29 AM
ouch

SleestakSooner
5/6/2008, 03:46 PM
If this were happening in the football or hell even basketball threads this would have been locked already!

Don't care what your personal opinions are guys, coach was doing well up til this year. Pitching is in a rebuiliding mode and it shows. If this keeps up through next year, then by all means don't renew his contract. But to run him out the door now is just plain stupid.

SoonerStormchaser
5/6/2008, 06:01 PM
Sleestak, LAST YEAR was supposed to be the rebuilding year. We sucked last year. This year, we were supposed to be good...and we suck even worse than last year. I can only shudder to see what happens next year if he's still at the helm.

Civicus_Sooner
5/7/2008, 06:32 PM
First of all Trabor is a well meaning guy but I think he gets his feelings hurt by being "Bigtimed" by people, and that is the sole reason why he dislikes some people.

I think Sunny is a very good game coach. I've been to several games and seen him pull every trick in the book. He's a smart basball guy, he's not a politician. This year is full of young guys and we've had some darn solid years with Sunny.

In two years at the helm, Sunny Golloway has guided the Sooners to 79 victories and top 20 rankings in each season. In 2007, OU was one hit away from playing for the its first Big 12 Championship since 1997 and in 2006, Golloway became the second coach in NCAA Division I history to guide his club to a Super Regional Appearance in his first year at the helm. The 2006 season was highlighted by the Sooners 45-22 overall mark, a third-place finish in the Big 12, and an NCAA regional title.

We've had some turnover this year and a couple of signees that got drafted. No way does Sunny deserve to be fired after one bad year.

Flying Scotsman
5/7/2008, 09:56 PM
Anyone hear the discussion between Mr. Rodgers and Mr. Trabor? I caught a bit of it. They were going after each other's intregrity...WTFO?

Collier11
5/7/2008, 10:13 PM
I think Sunny is a very good game coach. I've been to several games and seen him pull every trick in the book. He's a smart basball guy, he's not a politician. This year is full of young guys and we've had some darn solid years with Sunny.

I agree he needs one more year but to say he is a very good game coach I disagree...he doesnt let his coaches coach and he does stupid stuff like having the #3 guy bunt with runners on base after the #3 guy already has a couple of hits, that is just an example of many of his wierd ideas

Taxman71
5/8/2008, 01:48 PM
Anyone hear the discussion between Mr. Rodgers and Mr. Trabor? I caught a bit of it. They were going after each other's intregrity...WTFO?

You mean this:

http://www.filedropper.com/traberrodgers

People don't get this worked up about OU football.

The last minute is the best if you just want to hear them gripe at each other.

poke4christ
5/8/2008, 03:26 PM

Here's the audio:

http://podcasting.fia.net/6779/2643616.mp3

Have to say it's pretty cool of the sports animal to post it.

ouradu
5/8/2008, 03:56 PM
I assume that was yesterday, did they kiss and make up today?

poke4christ
5/8/2008, 04:43 PM
I assume that was yesterday, did they kiss and make up today?

I heard that when 2 pm came and trabber came on, mark was not. The way it ended I wouldn't be surprised if they never talk again. Man that was heated.

kbsooner21
5/8/2008, 05:55 PM
If Traber said it, then by all means it's the law :rolleyes:

kbsooner21
5/8/2008, 06:07 PM
I can't stand to listen to Traber. What an *sshole! You can't even talk to the guy if you don't bow down and take his word as the lord :rolleyes:

Collier11
5/8/2008, 06:22 PM
Here is my stance FWIW, about Golloway I think Traber is correct. I have often defended Golloway as my past posts will show because he was doing a good job despite the huge outcry about him being a gigantic prick! OU has had two straight crappy seasons with pretty good talent although last yr was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Traditionally as it was talked about today, OU is probably about #5-7 as far as the baseball programs in the BIg 12, but we should strive to be alot better and it isnt working right now.

Having said all that, I felt like Traber crossed the line. Maybe what he brought up about Mark and Sonny is true, maybe not. Either way, I dont think you assault a friend on air like that no matter the truth. Traber did seem alot kinder today and im sure he will have to apologize to Mark soon, they have been friends for quite some time apparently

ouradu
5/8/2008, 08:01 PM
didn't Al and Traber have a running feud while they were on opposite each other on the two different networks? Then all the sudden when the networks were merged they buried the hatchet. I'm sure Traber will have to concede eventually like he did with Al.

Eielson
5/8/2008, 09:10 PM
I guess I'm not really a big baseball follower. I just thought that Galloway was doing a good job until this season. It seemed like we started to do really well when he took over a couple years ago and that next year was a ton of fun to watch. I still think we should have beaten Rice. :(

Cam
5/8/2008, 09:11 PM
Since I'm too lazy to look it up, what's his winning percentage for each year?

Civicus_Sooner
5/8/2008, 09:19 PM
Since I'm too lazy to look it up, what's his winning percentage for each year?
I don't know but we have ended up in the top 20 both years he's completed here. Last year wasn't that great but we really tuned it on at the end.

He def. deseves another year or two.

Collier, I've also seen him squeek everything out of every inning and pull wins out.

Collier11
5/8/2008, 10:14 PM
I don't know but we have ended up in the top 20 both years he's completed here. Last year wasn't that great but we really turned it on at the end.

Yr 1 12-6, resurrected the team after Cochell got fired and took us to the NCAA

Yr 2 45-22 Hosted a regional, got within 1 game of the CWS
Yr 3 34-24 Missed the Tourney
Yr 4 29-20-1 May miss Big 12 tourney, gonna miss NCAA without miracle

120-72-1

poke4christ
5/9/2008, 12:01 AM
Here is my stance FWIW, about Golloway I think Traber is correct. I have often defended Golloway as my past posts will show because he was doing a good job despite the huge outcry about him being a gigantic prick! OU has had two straight crappy seasons with pretty good talent although last yr was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Traditionally as it was talked about today, OU is probably about #5-7 as far as the baseball programs in the BIg 12, but we should strive to be alot better and it isnt working right now.

Having said all that, I felt like Traber crossed the line. Maybe what he brought up about Mark and Sonny is true, maybe not. Either way, I dont think you assault a friend on air like that no matter the truth. Traber did seem alot kinder today and im sure he will have to apologize to Mark soon, they have been friends for quite some time apparently

good post and a good point. Trabber sometimes strikes me as the type of person who makes a lot of enemies. I still like him though.

SleestakSooner
5/9/2008, 12:10 AM
I love how Traber ended that segment with "if you don't like me challenging your integrity don't come on my show." That is the truth of the matter and the bottom line with him.

SoonerStormchaser, do yourself a favor and stop listening to that idiot.

I have heard it countless times when he has dealt with callers. I have heard it when he was "calling out" coaches and promising to ask them tough questions during press conferences. Jim Traber is all bluster. He is a bully. If you do not agree with him he will brow beat you and talk over you. If you don't bow down to his "superior intellect" you are wrong!

I have to agree with Mark Rogers on this one... what a joke.

Collier11
5/9/2008, 12:34 AM
There is a reason that incompetent Eshbach doesnt get fired and Bully Jim doesnt either, RATINGS! A certain segment of listeners love Als idiotic rants and sexual innuendos, and a certain segment like Jims yelling. I like Jim but I was shocked that he went after Mark like that

badger
5/9/2008, 07:39 AM
Didn't we lose our best pitcher to injury this year?

Collier11
5/9/2008, 11:58 AM
yes

Civicus_Sooner
5/9/2008, 05:20 PM

120-72-1Cool, see, there's no way we can fire a guy that's had that kind of career so far. I don't really count the Cochell year, as his. Sorta like how Eddie got a few wins with Sean at the helm, stll he did ok.

This year was looking very good and our record against the top 20 is pretty impressive. Looks like we just don't have enough arms in the pen to be consistant. If we have another subpar year next season, I can see looking at our options. That's really my only point.

Vegas Sooner
5/9/2008, 07:48 PM
...hes got another year any way you look at it.

SOONER STEAKER
5/9/2008, 09:36 PM
were getting beat by KSU in the 9th 6-4

SOONER STEAKER
5/9/2008, 09:55 PM
Final from Norman

KSU 6
OU 4

Big 12 tourney hopes slipping fast.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/9/2008, 10:09 PM
Slipping fast? We are done. This team has given up.

dedsa1960
5/10/2008, 08:20 AM
SG is a good guy, but when you get to have to deal with him he becomes a monster who knows no wrong. IN dealing with Tom Holliday, Tom would tell ya off to your face so you respected the guy for giving his opinion. With SG, he just plays nice to your face and then when your not looking, he talks behind your back like the coward he is.

I knew SG while at NEO. We both roomed on the 3rd floor in Russell Hall. This m/o is pretty much fits him in my opinion. But we were all wet behind the ears back in the Fall of 1979 thru Spring of 81. OU media guide tells that he attended one year at NEO. Unless he had a clone, I know he attended two years. Had classes together both semesters our 2nd year.

Galloway: Lets just say he is not on my Christmas card list. And I'm not on his list either.

Traber/Rodgers Podcast:

Podcast: I thought the argument was foolish and made both sound bad and immature.

Traber: I like to listen to the guy. He is loud-mouthed. But I have noticed Traber doesn't get on someone unless he knows something.

Rodgers: I think he was trying to protect his and his stations access to OU. Plain and simple...he says something critical and he will be blackballed by OU.

SOONER STEAKER
5/10/2008, 08:47 AM
Did ya here SG on the POST GAME SHOW last night? His passion for this team is gone. I could tell is SG's voice that he is flustered and I think for the good of the program, SG should step down at the end of the season and let someone else take over.

There is nothing worse for a program than a coach who has given up!! Happy Trails SG!!

Civicus_Sooner
5/10/2008, 10:56 AM
Did ya here SG on the POST GAME SHOW last night? His passion for this team is gone. I could tell is SG's voice that he is flustered and I think for the good of the program, SG should step down at the end of the season and let someone else take over.

There is nothing worse for a program than a coach who has given up!! Happy Trails SG!!Seeing the writing on the wall for the end of a season is a big difference that giving up. Crap, look at the teams we've beaten this year. So much promise to have injuries ruin it will drain anyone.

SG will have a great year at OU and the whiners will whine even more.

GoTheDistance
5/10/2008, 11:13 AM
Besides Porlier, what injuries?

Civicus_Sooner
5/10/2008, 11:22 AM
Besides Porlier, what injuries?You say that like it isn't significant.

There have been other's, I'm not going to do your work. If you want to know, look it up.

GoTheDistance
5/10/2008, 11:44 AM
To Civicus Sooner,
I wasn't being flippant. And I have followed this team all year. I was asking an honest question. I wasn't aware of any injuries that have kept any players off the field for any significant amount of time.
And in the case of Porlier, he hasn't been in the lineup all season. And the Sooners started out very well in spite of Porlier's absence. Of course, the team would have benefitted from having had Porlier on the mound this year. I wasn't attempting to minimize his loss. It is just that they haven't had him all year.

badger
5/10/2008, 01:47 PM
My two cents,

First of all, so that nobody gets the wrong idea, I am not an insider nor am I an avid follower of Sooner baseball.

However, that national title from the mid 90s is getting farther and farther away, and so is that brush with near-College World Series elitism.

Our top-tier softball team still get top recruits from ballin' hotspot California, but I have seen less of that in recent years from OU baseball.

Our prospects for postseason greatness, conference championship or even winning that one-game-per-year I can see up in Tulsa vs. OSU is not what it used to be.

Because we have such a focus on football in Oklahoma, I wish we could offer the opportunity to more recruits to be two-sport stars, like Kevin Bookout was in track and basketball. Perhaps then we would get talent that could hit a homerun AND throw a touchdown.

In any event, whether you think Sonny is a jerk or a merry sunshine, the most telling numbers are the records he's produced and that is what should matter when it comes time to renew or extend contracts.

Shall we review said numbers?

In 2007...
Record: 34-24 Home: 22-8 Away: 9-9 Neutral: 3-7 Big 12: 11-16

In 2006...
Record: 45-22 Home: 21-6 Away: 13-6 Neutral: 11-10 Big 12: 17-10

In 2005...
Record: 35-26 Home: 24-5 Away: 5-13 Neutral: 6-7 Big 12: 14-13

I have emphasized our conference records and I think that the athletic department will, too.

Civicus_Sooner
5/10/2008, 01:56 PM
My two cents,

First of all, so that nobody gets the wrong idea, I am not an insider nor am I an avid follower of Sooner baseball.

However, that national title from the mid 90s is getting farther and farther away, and so is that brush with near-College World Series elitism.

Our top-tier softball team still get top recruits from ballin' hotspot California, but I have seen less of that in recent years from OU baseball.

Our prospects for postseason greatness, conference championship or even winning that one-game-per-year I can see up in Tulsa vs. OSU is not what it used to be.

Because we have such a focus on football in Oklahoma, I wish we could offer the opportunity to more recruits to be two-sport stars, like Kevin Bookout was in track and basketball. Perhaps then we would get talent that could hit a homerun AND throw a touchdown.

In any event, whether you think Sonny is a jerk or a merry sunshine, the most telling numbers are the records he's produced and that is what should matter when it comes time to renew or extend contracts.

Shall we review said numbers?

In 2007...
Record: 34-24 Home: 22-8 Away: 9-9 Neutral: 3-7 Big 12: 11-16

In 2006...
Record: 45-22 Home: 21-6 Away: 13-6 Neutral: 11-10 Big 12: 17-10

In 2005...
Record: 35-26 Home: 24-5 Away: 5-13 Neutral: 6-7 Big 12: 14-13

I have emphasized our conference records and I think that the athletic department will, too.2005 was Cochell. We wen't like 12-6 after Sunny too over. I don't think that's fair to use as his record, good or bad.

OSUAggie
5/10/2008, 03:41 PM

What do you mean by this?

SOONER STEAKER
5/10/2008, 04:44 PM
I think he means there are way too many people who are living in the past on what some of this staff has done for the OU program. Let's start building a championship team with a new coach. Start a new amd let someone else build this program into a powerhouse. It's obvious to me that the current staff can;t get it done.

badger
5/10/2008, 05:00 PM
What do you mean by this?

Ok, the national championship in mid 90s part is referring to OU Baseball's title in 1994. I know that's a lot sooner (*wink wink*) than your last title, Aggie, but it still is getting to be a long time ago, too far back for some of us young ones to remember ;)

What I mean by brush with near elitism with the CWS was in 2006, when OU revenged Wichita State for their coach duping/shunning/whatever us and moving onto Super Regionals, nearly making the College World Series. As Wiki said:

"The Rice University baseball team (55-11) beat the University of Oklahoma (45-22) in the NCAA Super Regional 9-5. Rice won the series between the two schools 2-1 and will now play in the College World Series."

That is the closest we have come recently to becoming one of college's elite baseball programs. The 1994 title is our most recent title. To be fair to Sonny, yes, he was only interim coach after that Don Imus moment by our former Coach Cochell, who, btw, brought us to that 1994 title. However, to be more than fair to Sonny, counting his time in 2005 is more of a favor to him than not counting it, because it wasn't as bad as 2007, and not meaning to be pessimistic here, but it might also be better than 2008.

Streaker, if you were referring to my post, I'm actually a "she," unless my husband is posting as me.

Should Sonny get replaced? I don't know. I don't follow college baseball enough to know whether or not baseball is one of those sports where top teams compete for titles every year (like football) or where greatness rolls around every few years for the great ones (like basketball) or you're just d@mn lucky to be there once every generation (like professional baseball). However, if I was just looking at in-conference success and overall results, not to mention that OU-OSU game last year I saw in Tulsa (ugh, badlem losses make branes hurt much when surrounded by poke fans en masse), I would cringe to think about what to expect in the future.

Just my 2 cents, not from a gung ho baseball fanatic, but from a Sooner fan, nonetheless :)

Civicus_Sooner
5/10/2008, 05:05 PM
Hey girl, it really is spelled Sunny. He's a California boy. ;)

badger
5/10/2008, 10:52 PM
Hey girl, it really is spelled Sunny. He's a California boy. ;)

Wow, really? Well, there goes any remaining Sooner baseball credibility I had (not that I claimed any in the first place).

Cam
5/11/2008, 09:49 AM

120-72-1

Cool, see, there's no way we can fire a guy that's had that kind of career so far.

Let me see if I understand this. It's now a good thing when your wins decrease year after year and you don't make the NCAA tournament? Seriously, how does that work?

Give him one more year and see what happens. If the trend of the last few years continues...

Fat Jack was on the other day with Traber. FJ was at the lunch that JT continues to refer to. FJ stated that SG put his finger in JT's face and told him he didn't know anything about baseball. Even if you don't like JT, and I could really care less either way about the guy, that's a pretty stupid statement by SG. I can totally see where JT's coming from and why he thinks SG's a dick.

setem
5/11/2008, 11:59 AM
That was not a smart thing for Galloway to say about Traber. Traber's baseball career was a joke! He was on the Baltimore team that set a record for consecutive losses to open a season. He also was made a fool of by some Japanese players when he got sent over there. So his opinion on baseball really holds no water with me!

Collier11
5/11/2008, 12:20 PM
That was not a smart thing for Galloway to say about Traber. Traber's baseball career was a joke! He was on the Baltimore team that set a record for consecutive losses to open a season. He also was made a fool of by some Japanese players when he got sent over there. So his opinion on baseball really holds no water with me!

Thats a pretty idiotic thing to say, the guy made the Majors, got paid alot of money to go to Japan, got paid alot of money to call games for the Diamondbacks when they won the world series, but he knows nothing? For someone who claims to love baseball so much you dont seem to know much about it by that statement? Come on now, you dont have to like Traber but be realistic. His major league success has no bearing on his knowledge.

Arent you going into coaching? Should I say that you know nothing cus you didnt play college ball? Hell, I dont even know if you played HS ball and if you did were you even any good? Im not coming after you, just showing you why I dont think your statement doesnt make any sense.

dedsa1960
5/11/2008, 12:37 PM

Traber made the bigs. Making the bigs is not a joke. Just happened he played behind a Hall of Famer or soon to be Hall of Famer. Eddie Murray. Ever heard of him? Traber played in the bigs...did you? I doubt it.

Going to Japan to play baseball is something. If its so easy in Japan, why aren't more player going over there? Don't discount something you don't know much about.

Quite frankly...your opinion holds no water to me.

setem
5/11/2008, 01:00 PM
Well ok sorry. Saying that his opinions hold no water was a tad far. But they are pretty warped most of the time.

Collier11
5/11/2008, 01:23 PM
You dont have to agree with him, you can think he is an idiot, my only point was dont state that opinion based off the fact that he sucked in the majors cus it doesnt make sense

Collier11
5/11/2008, 01:27 PM
FWIW, OU is up early 1-0...if they win they can move up to 7th or 8th depending on KU

Big Red Ron
5/11/2008, 02:04 PM
Trabor knows baseball, I doubt he knows more the Sunny.

Just sayin...

Don't forget Trabe played in Mexico too. Big. Time.

Collier11
5/11/2008, 02:52 PM
OU up 8-0, looks like we are finally going to win another series. Lets see how the series with Puke St turns out now

dedsa1960
5/11/2008, 03:55 PM
Trabor knows baseball, I doubt he knows more the Sunny.

Just sayin...

Don't forget Trabe played in Mexico too. Big. Time.

Traber was playing baseball for O-state while SG was in his dorm at NEO reading the Sporting News. Learning about baseball.

Playing in Mexico pays the bills. How much did you earn playing baseball?

Big Red Ron
5/11/2008, 04:01 PM
Traber was playing baseball for O-state while SG was in his dorm room reading the Sporting News.

Playing in Mexico pays the bills. How much did you earn playing baseball?Nothing but I've done better in my field than Traber has in his. You don't see me taking calls from James the Marvel and shilling for casinos and on-line betting pimps.

Sunny has actually coached, at a high level. Trabor was just a fat *** with good hand eye coordination.

Hey, you wouldn't happen to be him, would ya? Maybe his boy?

Nothing personal, but we're not the ones that claim to be experts on the radio for three hours a day.

kbsooner21
5/11/2008, 04:02 PM
Arent you going into coaching? Should I say that you know nothing cus you didnt play college ball?

Please don't, then you'd sound like Traber :D

dedsa1960
5/11/2008, 05:06 PM
Nothing but I've done better in my field than Traber has in his. You don't see me taking calls from James the Marvel and shilling for casinos and on-line betting pimps.

Sunny has actually coached, at a high level. Trabor was just a fat *** with good hand eye coordination.

Hey, you wouldn't happen to be him, would ya? Maybe his boy?

Nothing personal, but we're not the ones that claim to be experts on the radio for three hours a day.

I'll reserve my judgment till I know what field you are working on whom has done better. You could tell me but then again...it might be something you made up. For all I know...you might be James the Marvel.

I don't alway believe everything Jim says on the radio...but I'm not going to bash him for stating his opinion on the radio. By the way...are you Sunny's boy?

Nothing Personal

Big Red Ron
5/11/2008, 05:15 PM
I'll reserve my judgment till I know what field you are working on whom has done better. You could tell me but then again...it might be something you made up. For all I know...you might be James the Marvel.

I don't alway believe everything Jim says on the radio...but I'm not going to bash him for stating his opinion on the radio. By the way...are you Sunny's boy?

Nothing Personal
Well you sure as hell don't see me pushing used cars and casinos on the radio.:gary:

Carry on.

Collier11
5/11/2008, 06:33 PM
Please don't, then you'd sound like Traber :D

Thats why I didnt

badger
5/11/2008, 08:07 PM
Just get out your Nintendo controller and run around the bases a few times. I personally hit a few home runs yesterday.

WII SPORTS ALL-STAR HERE!!! :D:D:D

Playing baseball at any level is not absolute end-all be-all prerequisite to knowing baseball. If playing a sport made you a genius at it, then why are Isaiah Thomas and Michael Jordan screwing up basketball front offices so badly?

SoonerStormchaser
5/11/2008, 08:09 PM
Shh Badger...you took the wind out of their argument!

SOONER STEAKER
5/11/2008, 08:19 PM
Setern, everyone is Oklahoma HS baseball knows that SG is a lying, back stabbing, two faced prick. If you don't know that, you just haven't had a kid recruited by SG.

You should continue to use Denney Crabaugh and Keith Lytle as your mentors and think of SG as an example of what not to be.

Good Luck with your American Legion season!

badger
5/11/2008, 08:35 PM
Here, this will make you Sooners feel better:
USC sucks again (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3389049)
It has nothing to do with baseball, but I am watching it now and shows how USC became U$C and all that jazz.

What, you think Mayo chose USC because it was a basketball powerhouse?

Oh, and so this post relates more to baseball, I think Sunny (SEE, I didn't type "Sonny" lol) is starting to feel the crunch of the 11.7 scholly limits that have to provide at least 33 percent to players. No more farmin' out book scholarships :(

dedsa1960
5/12/2008, 06:11 AM
Just get out your Nintendo controller and run around the bases a few times. I personally hit a few home runs yesterday.

WII SPORTS ALL-STAR HERE!!! :D:D:D

Playing baseball at any level is not absolute end-all be-all prerequisite to knowing baseball. If playing a sport made you a genius at it, then why are Isaiah Thomas and Michael Jordan screwing up basketball front offices so badly?

And listening to sports talk all day and typing on a message board doesn't make one a expert either.

badger
5/12/2008, 09:06 AM
And listening to sports talk all day and typing on a message board doesn't make one a expert either.

Hmm.... let's see... eight posts there, so you obviously don't hang out at message boards all day (unless this is your third or fourth attempt at a usename that won't be banned, lolz), but since you mentioned sports talk first, that is likely the culprit of your knowledges, no?

If your comment was backhanded at me, let me ASSURE you that I have no knowledges of teh sportz. My sports talk experience has only perfected the way I can say "C yaaaaaa!" and opinion of bandwagon fans of OU or OSU. "Hey, what do you think of an OU/OSU football Big 12 Championship?"

"C yaaaaaaa!" :D

As for teh boreds, this is just a fun community that neither cultivates the knowledge nor improves and expands it, but dagnabbit, it sure can be more fun than listening to the alleged experts that get paid the big bucks to talk on the teevee.

In any event, I think I've said far too many times that I am not a college baseball expert, and if playing baseball at any level is a prereq to knowing anything about the sport, all girls out there are hereby NOT experts owing to the fact that we get stuck in softball leagues since birth, thanks to Little League.

Odds are, however, that we'll all be playing softball a lot longer than any baseball prodigies out there :D

Oh, and BACK ON DISCUSSION... badlem this weekend! Who's going and does us winning or losing say anything about Sunny's chances of turning stuff around here? I would go, but we have guests arriving late Friday and the game starts at 7:30 :(:(:(

NormanPride
5/12/2008, 10:08 AM
Good lord, woman, is this what you do in the mornings? I need to lock the computer up. :D

badger
5/12/2008, 10:37 AM
Good lord, woman, is this what you do in the mornings? I need to lock the computer up. :D

Don't listen to him, people! He uses the computer far more than I do in mornings! (for those of you that are new, NP is my wonderful husband whom I love very much... yes, more than the Sooners, which has yet to get my banned).

Oh, and as for baseball... I think if all we can offer baseball studs is a 33 percent scholly to fill out rosters, with the way outta state tuition is, is it really Sunny's fault we aren't getting talent anymore?

I am basing this off the 11.7 scholarships that are available to about a 35-player roster. I agree that there was a necessary change made when they stopped the whole "tryout" scholarship thing when they had a bunch of guys on 5 percent scholarships, but how can OU recruit the best talent if the best talent can't afford the rest of the tuition?

Solutions:
1- Recruit Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders clones. This way, they get a full scholarship through football, but also play baseball and play baseball well.

2- Recruit National Merit Scholars, or other academic-types. This way, President Boren will not only take an active interest in ensuring they arrive on campus, but also Boren may take an interest in baseball, thus leading to more baseball improvements and funding... oh, and we get a player on a full academic scholarship with no cost to baseball scholly limits.

3- In-state affordable talent. So, we can only offer you 33 percent, or we can offer you the chance to walk on. So, how can you afford to play OU baseball? In-state tuition rates. Oklahoma talent would be more able to afford partial or full tuition than out of staters that would pay... what's the going rate now? $10,000 per year? $100,000 per year? Whatever the out-of-state rate is, it's far less than in-state. Plus, if they're OHLAP qualified, the state pays for them to attend so long as they keep their grades up. SCORE!

4- Give full or near-full schollys to the top tier talent out-of-state. After getting as many players possible for the least cost possible, use the leftover funding on those players that we can't afford to miss out on, but who can't afford to attend OU on their own.

I wish baseball had more scholarships available, but I also know that it's a matter of fairness to programs that want to run the sport when it's not exactly revenue generating. If Sunny can take extra steps like those shown above to maximize the limits, there's a chance he could turn around this program yet.

SOONER STEAKER
5/12/2008, 10:52 AM
Badger, all schools have 11.7 schooly's. Why isn't OSU struggling? why isn't Mizzou struggling? Why isn't A&M struggling? The difference is that these schools have caoches that are well respected in their home states and those coaches also recruit local talent.

The reason OU is struggling in baseball is because SG aen't worth a plug nickel. OU has great talent in the immediate area but yet OU spends all there time in TX recruiting.

Note to SG: start recruiting OK as hard as you do TX. You can't win with other schools rejects. Wise, Porlier, etc......

badger
5/12/2008, 11:14 AM
OU spends all their time in TX recruiting? Sounds like our other sports :D

setem
5/12/2008, 12:26 PM
WOAH! JT Wise is a stud!

Civicus_Sooner
5/12/2008, 12:44 PM
Badger, all schools have 11.7 schooly's. Why isn't OSU struggling? why isn't Mizzou struggling? Why isn't A&M struggling? The difference is that these schools have caoches that are well respected in their home states and those coaches also recruit local talent.

The reason OU is struggling in baseball is because SG aen't worth a plug nickel. OU has great talent in the immediate area but yet OU spends all there time in TX recruiting.

Note to SG: start recruiting OK as hard as you do TX. You can't win with other schools rejects. Wise, Porlier, etc......Funny, okie aggie was sure struggling two years ago when we were just a sniff away from the CWS. Again, too soon to fire anyone.

Big Red Ron
5/12/2008, 12:45 PM
Funny, okie aggie was sure struggling two years ago when we were just a sniff away from the CWS. Again, too soon to fire anyone.Agreed

poke4christ
5/12/2008, 05:30 PM
Man, I just love how much more level headed you guys in the baseball forum are than the football forum (not everyone, mostly just a few bad apples). Thanks for making my discussion here with ya pleasurable.

note: this has nothing to do with what was being talked about. Just thought I'd let ya'll know.

badger
5/12/2008, 06:01 PM
It's good to talk to a reasonable poke, too :)

Note: But OU>osu :D

Big Red Ron
5/12/2008, 06:23 PM
Man, I just love how much more level headed you guys in the baseball forum are than the football forum (not everyone, mostly just a few bad apples). Thanks for making my discussion here with ya pleasurable.

note: this has nothing to do with what was being talked about. Just thought I'd let ya'll know.Screw you aggie. Feel better now?

The_Red_Patriot
5/13/2008, 10:09 AM
I don't listen to The Sports Animal. 1430 The Buzz in Tulsa is far superior.

Traber and his crybaby fests.

I will say he is very fair though. Any OU fan that says he favors OSU is a moron.

But, he is a crybaby.

Collier11
5/13/2008, 12:24 PM
agreed

Civicus_Sooner
5/13/2008, 03:05 PM
He's no osu homer but he is a crybaby beoch. Matter of fact, he lives in Nomton and seems to overly extend his non homerism.

SleestakSooner
5/13/2008, 03:19 PM
If you don't agree with Traber it simply means you didn't listen to him. Just ask him or even better disagree with him on ANY topic even in the slightest. He will NOT tell you what Gary Ward's jock smell like no matter how nicely you ask though!

badger
5/13/2008, 03:48 PM
Um... and let's fire that Sunny guy!

;)

Seriously though, since I'm not the college baseball expert, I've been asking around about it and it doesn't seem like too many people would be upset if Sunny were to go.

I think Sunny might be a victim of circumstance, much like other OU coaches in other sports throughout OU history. Here's a few examples:

Sherri Coale, women's basketball: Allegedly can only win big if she has Stacey Dales on the roster.

Kelvin Sampson, men's basketball: Allegedly can only win big if he has Hollis Price on the roster.

Bob Stoops, football: Allegedly can only win big if he has Mike Stoops next to him telling him what to do.

There isn't anyone out there that hasn't heard chants for each of these coach's heads after huge losses, despite past accomplishments... unless, of course, you think they were referring to some other guy named "Calvin Simpson."

Is Sunny a victim of circumstance? Has that 2006 year set the bar too high for him and made fan expectations impossible?

Shall we ask Traber? :rolleyes:

dedsa1960
5/13/2008, 07:19 PM
Sorry Badger...most folks don't even remember the 2006 season.

Traber has already told his listeners what needs to be done. And you Badger are one of those listeners.

badger
5/13/2008, 08:39 PM
Sorry Badger...most folks don't even remember the 2006 season.

Traber has already told his listeners what needs to be done. And you Badger are one of those listeners.

Nah, I'm no listener. NP sometimes has Sports Animal on the ride to work, but my extent of sports talk radio is less than 15 minutes per week and its all inadvertent.

OUmillenium
5/14/2008, 08:13 AM
Nah, I'm no listener. NP sometimes has Sports Animal on the ride to work, but my extent of sports talk radio is less than 15 minutes per week and its all inadvertent.

But that means you have to listen to about 3 hours of commercials and nonsports related gibberish, and sometimes some genuine frontier gibberish, to get those 15 minutes of sports talk.

Gotta be able to read between the lines...;)

badger
5/14/2008, 02:20 PM
But that means you have to listen to about 3 hours of commercials and nonsports related gibberish, and sometimes some genuine frontier gibberish, to get those 15 minutes of sports talk.

Gotta be able to read between the lines...;)

yeah, that sounds about right :rolleyes: The most I usually hear is the repeats on weekends. Radio music ends up just being that Idol guy Daughtry screaming about not being over so he's going home, so even wrong predictions of sporting events that already happened is better :D

Is this thredd dedd? Nothing else to add?

Here's something to add:

Larry Cochell is a former baseball coach for the University of Oklahoma. His great career was overshadowed by his racial remarks (...he is a good n-word), on two off-court interviews
Even I, the uninformed Sooner baseball semi-fan, can tell you that's not correct quoting :D

Here's what they say on Sunny:

In his eight seasons as ORU head coach, he guided the team to a 347-162 record.
Yes, a winning record, but not saying much in the conference they were in (or even if he coached in the conference they're in now).

But there's gotta be a way to gloss over that ORU record... at SoonerSports.com:

In two years at the helm, Sunny Golloway has guided the Sooners to 79 victories and top 20 rankings in each season. In 2007, OU was one hit away from playing for the its first Big 12 Championship since 1997 and in 2006, Golloway became the second coach in NCAA Division I history to guide his club to a Super Regional Appearance in his first year at the helm. The 2006 season was highlighted by the Sooners 45-22 overall mark, a third-place finish in the Big 12, and an NCAA regional title.

OU finished the 2007 season with a 34-24 overall record. Six Sooners were selected in the 2007 MLB Draft and eight received All-Big 12 recognition from the league's coaches. In addition, Aaron Baker was named a freshman All-American and Aaron Ivey was named CoSIDA's Academic All-American of the Year for baseball.

Including eight seasons (1996-2003) as the head coach at Oral Roberts and the record at OU's helm, Golloway is 426-208 (.672). That percentage ranks in the top 20 nationally among active head coaches with a minimum of five years of experience

This reminds me of when associate AD for feeding media good information Kenny Mossman pointed out at SS.com that Jeff Capel had the most injuries to players while have the best record considering those injuries :D

For our resident Poke on this thread, here's something that'll make him happy:

Golloway grew up in Stillwater, Okla., and graduated from Stillwater High School in 1979.
OMG, Poketown!

Well, perhaps that info will resurrect this thread. Then again, I would just be happy with a resurrected season :D

dedsa1960
5/14/2008, 05:30 PM
Hey Badger! Jackie Shipp is also from Stillwater, OK.

Big Red Ron
5/14/2008, 11:58 PM
Hey Badger! Jackie Shipp is also from Stillwater, OK.
At least two smart guys come from that craphole.

OUmillenium
5/15/2008, 01:23 PM
That may be the max.

Taxman71
5/16/2008, 09:22 AM
To me, the bottom line is that SG is hated by the old school OU baseball establishment and they will never let it go. Regardless of what SG does, there will always be division and these type of issues. I'm not saying get rid of SG b/c a bunch of old guys don't like him, but another poor season combined with the turmoil would be enough to pull the plug. Next hire almost has to be a clean break from anyone related to the program.

badger
5/23/2008, 06:26 PM
Sorry to boink this thread, but I just wanted to point out that if anyone Googles "Sunny Galloway," this is the first page that shows up :D

So, there's two smart guys and a lot of Africanized Bees (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080523_12_OKLAH57105) from Stilly, eh? Zzzzzz... or should I say, Buzzzzzz :D

Finally, I think if we have another win this year - Big 12 tourney or post-season wise, this thread deserves a rest for at least until next season. His team sure came alive... perhaps because this thread is the first thing to pop up under his name, hmmmm?

SoonerStormchaser
5/23/2008, 06:52 PM
Boo yah...my thread is internet famous! ;)

SleestakSooner
5/23/2008, 07:10 PM
Boo yah...my thread is internet famous!

Way to represent :rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
5/23/2008, 10:07 PM
Famous or infamous?

SoonerStormchaser
5/24/2008, 04:58 AM
:gary:

OUbones
5/24/2008, 05:55 AM
Famous or infamous?

:gary:

By far the best use of the Gary England smilie!

badger
5/24/2008, 03:45 PM
Korrekshun: It was an older, locked thread from 2006... you know, right before the dream run at the end, heh.

Something tells me this thread won't be locked like the last one, because unlike that year, the frustration is kind of justified.

In any event, here is visual proof... check out what all the other "sunny galloway" threads are related to, lol :D
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8113/proofza9.png