PDA

View Full Version : Great, another bowl

Sooner_Havok
5/4/2008, 07:30 PM
The NCAA has approved adding two more bowl games! This brings the total to 34 bowl games now.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3375625)

Hooray, now maybe 5-7 teams can get a bowl! How long till 60 bowl games, can't let anyone feel bad by being left out. Of course that would mean adding one more team to Division I-A, oops, I mean Football Bowl Subdivision, again, can't hurt anyone's feelers.

Hey SicEm, you going to go to the Baylor vs. Duke bowl game in sunny Fargo North Dakota?

Sooner_09
5/4/2008, 07:32 PM
So you're expecting Duke to go 5-7? Is that a bold prediction?

Sooner_Havok
5/4/2008, 07:42 PM
So you're expecting Duke to go 5-7? Is that a bold prediction?

Na man, if we get 60 bowls, records become irrelevant and everyone gets to go bowling. Just cause Duke and Baylor struggle against division 1-AA, I mean Division I Football Championship Subdivision, doesn't mean they should get their feelers hurt by not getting a bowl game. Fair is fair man.

badger
5/4/2008, 07:45 PM
Na man, if we get 60 bowls, records become irrelevant and everyone gets to go bowling.

Well, they are trying to make the football postseason more like the basketball postseason... INVITES FOR MANY! DENIALS FOR FEW! THE ONLY WAY YOU DON'T GO BOWLIN' IS TO DECLINE, BOO HOO.

:rolleyes:

Sooner_Havok
5/4/2008, 08:01 PM
Well, they are trying to make the football postseason more like the basketball postseason... INVITES FOR MANY! DENIALS FOR FEW! THE ONLY WAY YOU DON'T GO BOWLIN' IS TO DECLINE, BOO HOO.

:rolleyes:

But who could possibly decline an invite from a bowl with such storied pasts as the St. Petersburg Bowl and the Papajohns.com Bowl? Plus, I here Birmingham is lovely in the middle of winter :D

olevetonahill
5/4/2008, 08:12 PM
You been Into My shine ?

183828sooners
5/4/2008, 08:28 PM
Does anyone out there know of any ou autograph sessions coming up or appearances?

bluedogok
5/4/2008, 08:45 PM
Well, that way almost everyone gets a trophy.......

It doesn't bother me much, I like to watch football.

OU_Sooners75
5/4/2008, 09:05 PM
What good is the bowl system?

I remember just about 15 years ago there was only about 20 bowl games. Now more than half of D-1A gets to go bowling.

NCAA nothing more then monopolizing CFB.

goingoneight
5/4/2008, 09:13 PM
Morons: "A playoff creates too many extra games."

Voice of reason goes using logic again: "In 2006, the NCAA added an extra slot for OOC scheduling and continues to add meaningless bowls ad nauseum."

Morons: "But-but-but... that's just not right! Playoffs solve nothing! We all know Appalachan State can never beat Michigan! No way can a WAC team win a BCS game!!! Too may extra games, players miss too many classes!!!"

Sooner_Havok
5/4/2008, 09:14 PM
Well, that way almost everyone gets a trophy.......

It doesn't bother me much, I like to watch football.

Dude, you just gave me one hell of an idea! We add a playoff system to the Bowl Subdivision! But not one to determine something silly like the NC.

You play 60 games, that means 30 losers. Well, you have those 30 losers play 15 games. Those 15 losers play in 7 bowl games with one random team getting a bye. those 8 teams play giving us 4 teams without a bowl victory. Those four losers again face off in two more games. Then, the final two teams in the nation without bowl wins face off in a sort of National Championship of Suck!

This way, at the end of the season, only one team can say "We didn't win our bowl game!"

And no Vet, I haven't been touching your shine. Not even it could make me hallucinate this badly:D

badger
5/4/2008, 09:25 PM
Does anyone out there know of any ou autograph sessions coming up or appearances?

your best bet is attending games... so long as they aren't either of the two new bowl games this thread discusses :D

goingoneight
5/4/2008, 09:44 PM
... then, the final two teams in the nation without bowl wins face off in a sort of National Championship of Suck!

Doesn't OSU have like... 40 of those? :confused:

Sooner_Havok
5/4/2008, 10:00 PM
Doesn't OSU have like... 40 of those? :confused:

Yeah, but under my system the will finally be able to win an NCAA recognized Championship of Suck! No more MCoS, they will have a real CoS! Think of what winning that title could do to their recruiting!

snp
5/4/2008, 10:13 PM
What good is the bowl system?

I remember just about 15 years ago there was only about 20 bowl games. Now more than half of D-1A gets to go bowling.

NCAA nothing more then monopolizing CFB.

It allows teams extra weeks of practice, gives the student atheletes a nice vacation at the end of the year, guaranteed national TV coverage, gives schools and conferences more and more I don't feel like explaining.

More bowls is better for NCAAF. It may be seen as moving backwards by the proponents of the playoff system but a playoff is not feasible at the current time.

Sooner_Havok
5/4/2008, 10:23 PM
It allows teams extra weeks of practice, gives the student atheletes a nice vacation at the end of the year, guaranteed national TV coverage, gives schools and conferences more and more I don't feel like explaining.

More bowls is better for NCAAF. It may be seen as moving backwards by the proponents of the playoff system but a playoff is not feasible at the current time.

I don't give a flying **** about a playoff system, but rewarding a 6-6 team is criminal! You want to go to a bowl? Win more than 50% of your games! I remember when you had to win 8, 9, 10 games to ensure you got a bowl. I am 24.

Let me tell you, in a world where you get to play 4 cream puffs, and they all count towards bowl eligibility, if you can't win 4 more conference games, your team has no right getting a reward. Tough luck Johnny, your team sucks! Don't like not going bowling, well let me quote a great scholar, "If you don't like it, get better!"

OUstud
5/5/2008, 08:31 AM
More bowls=that much funnier when OSU doesn't make it.

soonerfan28
5/5/2008, 08:42 AM
It's all about the money, but everybody knew that already.

soonermix
5/5/2008, 09:43 AM
my only question is were there actually 4 teams with 6 wins that got left out last year????
so if we don't have enough 6 win teams to fill the bazillion bowl games do we get to add a 1-aa team that would be sweet but not the best team from 1-aa they go to a playoff

yermom
5/5/2008, 09:50 AM
there are often 6+ win teams that don't go in crappy conferences

SteelClip49
5/5/2008, 10:01 AM
Bowls that should be eliminated:

Armed Forces, Champs Sports, GMAC, International, Meineke, New Mexico, New Orleans, Papajohns.com, Poinsettia, Texas, St. Pete, Congressional

Chick-Fil-A should go back to the Peach name considering Peaches came way before CFA.

Capital One should go back to the Florida Citrus name because clearly Florida is known for their citrus fruits and the Cap One headquarters aren't even in Orlando.

Emerald Bowl is ok or perhaps renaming it to the Golden State or Golden Gate Bowl would be better but please move it to a damn football stadium...there are plenty around the area.

I never did understand the Humanitarian name....Boise have something no other city does?

Before you know it, the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl will be known as the Gaylord Bowl.

Bowls that should come back= Cherry, Freedom, Gotham (good way to promote the new Batman movies), Oil and Raisin.

soonerfan28
5/5/2008, 10:12 AM
We need to eliminate half of these bowls and have a playoff. Just my opinion. Why would you even want to show up to a bowl with six wins?

LRoss
5/5/2008, 10:26 AM
I agree that too many bowls get kind of silly and make the fact that you "made it to a bowl" less meaningful.

At the same time, though, who's the loser here? What's the reason to get upset? So worse teams play a bowl. So what?

TheUnnamedSooner
5/5/2008, 10:40 AM
I am 24.

YOU'RE NOT A MAN!! [hairGel]

Mixer!
5/5/2008, 10:57 AM
This just means that the domers are assured of a bowl berth, no matter how bad they suck.

SteelClip49
5/5/2008, 11:12 AM
North Texas went to a bowl with a 5-6 record a few season ago, of course they did win the Sun Belt.

Sooner_Havok
5/5/2008, 12:47 PM
YOU'RE NOT A MAN!! [hairGel]

You sir are the winner!

Sooner_Havok
5/5/2008, 01:04 PM
who's the loser here? What's the reason to get upset? So worse teams play a bowl. So what?

The losers are the teams that win 8,9,10 games and are lumped together with the teams that won 6. It cheapens the accomplishment for everyone.

badger
5/5/2008, 01:06 PM
Let's play "What's the greatest tragedy?" game!

A- 6-6 record being "bowl eligible"

B- Losing teams filling up a bowl schedule

C- Undefeated teams being left out of championship consideration

D- NCAA not recognizing a sole college football champion

E- The BCS

F- The AP determining its own champion independent of the NCAA, college bowls and everything else

G- Coaches having control of who gets into the championship through the USA Today Coaches Poll

H- Dirt easy mid-major schedules leading to BCS invites

I- The Rose Bowl's monopoly on Pac-10 and Big 10 teams

J- No playoffs, just bowls

K- Coaches who whine and pander on national television to get into the BCS/Championship game

hurricane'bone
5/5/2008, 01:12 PM
Bowls that should be eliminated:

Armed Forces, Champs Sports, GMAC, International, Meineke, New Mexico, New Orleans, Papajohns.com, Poinsettia, Texas, St. Pete, Congressional[quote]

So I assume you are also for doing away of Conference USA
[quote]
Chick-Fil-A should go back to the Peach name considering Peaches came way before CFA.

Capital One should go back to the Florida Citrus name because clearly Florida is known for their citrus fruits and the Cap One headquarters aren't even in Orlando.

Emerald Bowl is ok or perhaps renaming it to the Golden State or Golden Gate Bowl would be better but please move it to a damn football stadium...there are plenty around the area.

I never did understand the Humanitarian name....Boise have something no other city does?

Before you know it, the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl will be known as the Gaylord Bowl.

Bowls that should come back= Cherry, Freedom, Gotham (good way to promote the new Batman movies), Oil and Raisin.

For someone who was a former employee of an athletic department you sure seem to have no idea how corporate sponsorships/partnerships work.

Plus - why get rid of the Texas Bowl (takes place in Houston) but bring back the Oil Bowl (took place in Houston).

You seem to be nostalgic for names of bowls that died and have been replaced by bowls in the same city/area.

soonermix
5/5/2008, 01:12 PM
Let's play "What's the greatest tragedy?" game!

A- 6-6 record being "bowl eligible"

B- Losing teams filling up a bowl schedule

C- Undefeated teams being left out of championship consideration

D- NCAA not recognizing a sole college football champion

E- The BCS

F- The AP determining its own champion independent of the NCAA, college bowls and everything else

G- Coaches having control of who gets into the championship through the USA Today Coaches Poll

H- Dirt easy mid-major schedules leading to BCS invites

I- The Rose Bowl's monopoly on Pac-10 and Big 10 teams

J- No playoffs, just bowls

K- Coaches who whine and pander on national television to get into the BCS/Championship game

in order J, D, C, E, A, B, F, G, I, K, H

KingBarry
5/5/2008, 01:48 PM
there are often 6+ win teams that don't go in crappy conferences

Yeah, crappy conferences like the Big XII. Two years ago the Manginos went six and six and were left out in favor of Northern Illinois. Northern. Illinois.

This was pretty big at the time because it was thought that Mangino's ability to get his team bowl eligible consistently would be the measuring stick in whether he gets to remain as coach. Of course after winning an Orange Bowl trophy, he should have a couple of safe years, but that says enough about the implications of the current system that I don't mind two more games.

silverwheels
5/5/2008, 02:19 PM
Hooray, now maybe 5-7 teams can get a bowl! How long till 60 bowl games, can't let anyone feel bad by being left out. Of course that would mean adding one more team to Division I-A, oops, I mean Football Bowl Subdivision, again, can't hurt anyone's feelers.

They already have. Western Kentucky becomes a full member of the FBS next (2009) season.

SicEmBaylor
5/5/2008, 03:35 PM
The NCAA has approved adding two more bowl games! This brings the total to 34 bowl games now.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3375625)

Hey SicEm, you going to go to the Baylor vs. Duke bowl game in sunny Fargo North Dakota?

Yes.

Sooner_Havok
5/5/2008, 05:03 PM
They already have. Western Kentucky becomes a full member of the FBS next (2009) season.

Well the we are set, who will be the 2008 CoS?

SteelClip49
5/5/2008, 05:59 PM
hurricane bone, where the hell did you come from?

Btw, I was just clowning around....lighten up and go back to wherever the hell you suddenly just popped out from.

If there are going to be this many bowls, then they need to have names that actually have to do with the location they are in. Obviously some of the bowls that exist do have that connection but, imo, corporate greed can only go so far and don't give me "this opens opportunities" crap. Go 7-5 or better and then experience the opportunities. More bowls just means we are getting further and further away from a playoff format, which I guess means you do not want a playoff system.