PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Department of Tourism...

Okla-homey
5/4/2008, 07:53 AM
must be run by crack smokers. ;)

I don't know how much this billboard on US 75 cost the state, but...dang.

Sorry about the image quality, I shot it with my phone while driving. It says, OKLAHOMA...home of the only US museum dedicated to the exhibition of lighters.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6963/lighter2qh4.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
5/4/2008, 08:26 AM
Wow, it didnt even mention the belly-button lint museum?

King Crimson
5/4/2008, 08:34 AM
we need to market the kitsch value of the interstate open country.

i thought that's what Stuckey's was for?

Turd_Ferguson
5/4/2008, 09:11 AM
we need to market the kitsch value of the interstate open country.

i thought that's what Stuckey's was for?Why do you hate pecan logs:confused:

Flagstaffsooner
5/4/2008, 09:45 AM
Why do you hate pecan logs:confused:I wish you hadnt said that. I ate a bunch of peanuts last night and I am having a rough morning.

BigRedJed
5/4/2008, 10:20 AM
The answer is... ...it didn't cost the state a penny. That is not an Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department funded billboard in any way, shape or form. If it were associated with the state, it would have graphics consistent with the "Oklahoma - Native America" campaign, and it would feature www.travelok.com (http://www.travelok.com) and the OTRD toll-free number somewhere on it. If it were funded by a partner organization utilizing state matching funds through the OTRD, it would feature this logo somewhere on it (a requirement for state matching funds):

http://www.oktourism.com/sites/frontiercountry/templates/default/images/oklahomanative.jpg

You're welcome.

Turd_Ferguson
5/4/2008, 10:27 AM
The answer is... ...it didn't cost the state a penny. That is not an Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department funded billboard in any way, shape or form. If it were associated with the state, it would have graphics consistent with the "Oklahoma - Native America" campaign, and it would feature www.travelok.com (http://www.travelok.com) and the OTRD toll-free number somewhere on it. If it were funded by a partner organization utilizing state matching funds through the OTRD, it would feature this logo somewhere on it (a requirement for state matching funds):

http://www.oktourism.com/sites/frontiercountry/templates/default/images/oklahomanative.jpg

You're welcome.

Party pooper(sorry Flag).

SoonerInKCMO
5/4/2008, 12:19 PM
It was probably purchased by some bitter Seattleites.

Jimminy Crimson
5/4/2008, 02:18 PM
Lamar Outdoor put up the sign.

Definitely not a state funded/sponsored sign.

Zbird
5/4/2008, 02:23 PM
Tourism is run by political appointees. It's easy to see why you were confused. It is difficult to tell the difference. Oh wait........ Is there a difference???

BigRedJed
5/4/2008, 03:15 PM
Tourism is run by political appointees...
Well, sortof, I guess. Members of the Tourism Commission, who meet on a regular basis, ARE political appointees. They are typically people from other industries, who have day jobs outside of tourism, who serve as a "board of directors" for the OTRD, giving it an overall direction and setting priorities, usually with recommendations from staff, the governor and the legislature. They are nominated by the Governor.

The people who work for the OTRD on a day-to-day basis are tourism professionals who are hired (not appointed) using the same process as any other state employee. That is, their jobs are advertised, resumes are collected, qualified applicants are interviewed, and superiors make a hiring decision based on their qualifications and experience.

IMO, those are the people who "run" the OTRD. Paid, qualified professionals who work hard daily to portray Oklahoma in its best light to visitors and residents alike. Those are the people who make advertising decisions, and politics has precious little to do with it, other than the fact that they are constantly battling to keep politicians from cutting their already limited budget.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/4/2008, 03:28 PM
Well, sortof, I guess. Members of the Tourism Commission, who meet on a regular basis, ARE political appointees. They are typically people from other industries, who have day jobs outside of tourism, who serve as a "board of directors" for the OTRD, giving it an overall direction and setting priorities, usually with recommendations from staff, the governor and the legislature. They are nominated by the Governor.

The people who work for the OTRD on a day-to-day basis are tourism professionals who are hired (not appointed) using the same process as any other state employee. That is, their jobs are advertised, resumes are collected, qualified applicants are interviewed, and superiors make a hiring decision based on their qualifications and experience.

IMO, those are the people who "run" the OTRD. Paid, qualified professionals who work hard daily to portray Oklahoma in its best light to visitors and residents alike. Those are the people who make advertising decisions, and politics has precious little to do with it, other than the fact that they are constantly battling to keep politicians from cutting their already limited budget.So, to prove their worth, they advertise the glory of a Lighters Museum?

Okla-homey
5/4/2008, 03:32 PM
So, to prove their worth, they advertise the glory of a Lighters Museum?

precisely my point. I guess that's one happens when the world's largest hand-dug well is in a neighboring state.

BigRedJed
5/4/2008, 03:37 PM
Are you people ****ing serious, or did you just not read my first post in this thread? That billboard has ZIPPO (pun intended) to do with the Oklahoma Department of Tourism and Recreation. Don't try to turn this into a "taxpayer-funded boondoggle."

BigRedJed
5/4/2008, 03:39 PM
So, to prove their worth, they advertise the glory of a Lighters Museum?
No. They don't.

SicEmBaylor
5/4/2008, 03:42 PM
I've never understood why the state of Oklahoma advertises the state of Oklahoma so much IN the actual state of Oklahoma.

The Arkansas tourism campaign starting a couple decades ago puts ours to shame. Arkansas markets itself better.......Arkansas.

SicEmBaylor
5/4/2008, 03:43 PM
Are you people ****ing serious, or did you just not read my first post in this thread? That billboard has ZIPPO (pun intended) to do with the Oklahoma Department of Tourism and Recreation. Don't try to turn this into a "taxpayer-funded boondoggle."

You're an intense guy. Can I suggest chilling out? Everytime I see you post you're freaking out about someone's "incorrect" interpretation of what you said.

BigRedJed
5/4/2008, 03:53 PM
I've never understood why the state of Oklahoma advertises the state of Oklahoma so much IN the actual state of Oklahoma.

The Arkansas tourism campaign starting a couple decades ago puts ours to shame. Arkansas markets itself better.......Arkansas.
Once again, it's not the State of Oklahoma paying for that billboard. Apparently nobody here actually reads before they post.

And if you knew jack**** about the tourism industry, at least as far as Oklahoma is concerned, our number one tourism market is... ...Oklahomans. Oklahoma is a REGIONAL tourism destination. Much of our tourism focus is based on luring Oklahomans to come explore the rest of their state. Not only are they closer, meaning it's easier to get them to visit, they often are LESS KNOWLEDGEABLE about what our state has to offer. An informed, enthusiastic citizenry also can become our best sales force, telling out-of-state friends and family about what the state has to offer, and taking them to see attractions when they come.

Another reason to promote within the state is to keep state tourism spending at home. If people within the state have reason to stay within the state, it keeps them from spending their dollars on driving vacations out-of-state.

But if you think Oklahoma doesn't advertise aggressively (and put on a massive public relations effort) outside of Oklahoma, you're dead wrong. While most of the money is spent in adjacent states, Oklahoma also spends quite a bit of money and effort on places like California, which is in the top five of states providing visitors to Oklahoma.

SicEmBaylor
5/4/2008, 03:57 PM
Once again, it's not the State of Oklahoma paying for that billboard. Apparently nobody here actually reads before they post.

And if you knew jack**** about the tourism industry, at least as far as Oklahoma is concerned, our number one tourism market is... ...Oklahomans. Oklahoma is a REGIONAL tourism destination. Much of our tourism focus is based on luring Oklahomans to come explore the rest of their state. Not only are they closer, meaning it's easier to get them to visit, they often are LESS KNOWLEDGEABLE about what our state has to offer. An informed, enthusiastic citizenry also can become our best sales force, telling out-of-state friends and family about what the state has to offer, and taking them to see attractions when they come.

Another reason to promote within the state is to keep state tourism spending at home. If people within the state have reason to stay within the state, it keeps them from spending their dollars on driving vacations out-of-state.

But if you think Oklahoma doesn't advertise aggressively (and put on a massive public relations effort) outside of Oklahoma, you're dead wrong. While most of the money is spent in adjacent states, Oklahoma also spends quite a bit of money and effort on places like California, which is in the top five of states providing visitors to Oklahoma.

Uh, I'm not talking about the billboard. I'm speaking in generalities here. I don't give a damned about the billboard.

BigRedJed
5/4/2008, 03:59 PM
Uh, the rest of my post addresses "not... ...the billboard," and answers the question you raised about why the state of Oklahoma puts so much effort into marketing to its own citizens. I guess you didn't read that post, either.

SicEmBaylor
5/4/2008, 04:01 PM
Uh, the rest of my post addresses "not... ...the billboard," and answers the question you raised about why the state of Oklahoma puts so much effort into marketing to its own citizens. I guess you didn't read that post, either.

That's a bit of an unnecessary attitude isn't it?

If Okies are Oklahoma's #1 tourists isn't that just another way of saying nobody else is visiting except the people who don't leave?

BigRedJed
5/4/2008, 04:11 PM
...If Okies are Oklahoma's #1 tourists isn't that just another way of saying nobody else is visiting except the people who don't leave?
Uh, no. It's a way of saying that the tourism industry is the third-largest industry in the state of Oklahoma, provides more than 70,000 jobs, and yet has consistently had its budget slashed by the legislature, so it has to work smart and efficient. Who do you think make up the biggest group of tourists in Texas? Texans, of course. And it's that way for just about every state in the union. Spending money growing that market is a smart use of limited resources.

Tourism, for an industry that employs that many people and ranks as the third largest, gets an absolute pittance as far as state funding goes. A tremendous amount of the state tourism promotion is actually done by private entities and other, non-taxpayer-funded organizations. The bang the OTRD gets for the buck is absolutely incredible. And since the best impact that they can get is to make more Oklahomans aware of the great tourism opportunities they have right in their back yard, I would call that responsible stewardship of their meager taxpayer dollars.

BigRedJed
5/4/2008, 04:14 PM
And no, I don't think the attitude, if you want to call it that, is "unneccessary." You called me out twice and I responded in a pretty even tone, if I do say so myself. All I'm saying is that it's obvious that you are either posting before you are reading or your reading comprehension is rather unimpressive.

SoonerBorn68
5/4/2008, 04:28 PM
Hey Homey, so where exactly is this museum off of I-75? I don't give a rat's *** if the state paid for it--I've got to go see a history of lighters.

SicEmBaylor
5/4/2008, 04:49 PM
And no, I don't think the attitude, if you want to call it that, is "unneccessary." You called me out twice and I responded in a pretty even tone, if I do say so myself. All I'm saying is that it's obvious that you are either posting before you are reading or your reading comprehension is rather unimpressive.

I actually only called you out once. I accepted what you said in the post about Okies being Oklahoma's #1 tourists which is why I didn't initially comment further. I didn't disagree with you though you seemed to think I couldn't comprehend what you were saying.

Do yourself a favor, don't sit too tight on that stick in your *** -- you don't want to wedge it in there any further.

Okla-homey
5/4/2008, 05:06 PM
Hey Homey, so where exactly is this museum off of I-75? I don't give a rat's *** if the state paid for it--I've got to go see a history of lighters.

hellifino. The Oklahoma Dept. of Tourism billboard touting is on US-75 between Tulsa and Okmulgee. Call them, they put up the danged billboard.;)

I bet the Tourism guys get free flints or lighter fluid or something for putting that sign up.

I guess you could Google Oklahoma Lighter Museum and see what comes up.

They probably have it broken down into eras. Starting with some caveman rubbing sticks as you enter, then you walk down a hallway and see an Indian using that bowstring method, followed by Europeans with flint and steel, then you enter the Matchstick Gallery, the Hall of Zippos, and end up in the Bic Ballroom and Giftshop.

5/4/2008, 05:08 PM
Hey Homey, so where exactly is this museum off of I-75? I don't give a rat's *** if the state paid for it--I've got to go see a history of lighters.Rated BEST POST OF THIS THREAD!

5/4/2008, 05:13 PM
So, to prove their worth, they advertise the glory of a Lighters Museum?Who did it, then, BRJ? This thread has a NEED TO KNOW! Doggone it, just who is the genius telling passers-by about that Lighters Museum?

Okla-homey
5/4/2008, 05:16 PM
Apparently, its in Guthrie. Google is my friend.

http://nationallightermuseum.com/

its forrealz.:eek: :texan:

sooner_born_1960
5/4/2008, 05:20 PM
And it's closed, and for sale. The Tourism Dept. should be helping find a buyer, so they won't have to take their sign down.

FroggyStyle22
5/4/2008, 05:23 PM
Anyone for "OKC Lighters" as the new NBA team?

Okla-homey
5/4/2008, 05:23 PM
And it's closed, and for sale. The Tourism Dept. should be helping find a buyer, so they won't have to take their sign down.

that's even worse. To think, scarce state tourism dollars spent on advertising a defunct-museum. Now I'm convinced them tourism d00ds are smoking crack.

SoonerBorn68
5/4/2008, 05:24 PM
WHEN A LIGHTER HAS A NAME, DATE AND AN EVENT, IT BECOMES AN HISTORIC DOCUMENT

Who knew?

Okla-homey
5/4/2008, 05:26 PM
Anyone for "OKC Lighters" as the new NBA team?

No way! It has to be the "OKC Sonics" in order to remind the planet OKC is a hellacool place because it has an NBA team named for a fast-food outlet with carhop service and average onion rings.:D

sooner_born_1960
5/4/2008, 05:29 PM
I think they should keep the Sonics name also. just to pizz off those Seattle fuggers.

5/4/2008, 05:31 PM
All the threads should be this fun!

Okla-homey
5/4/2008, 05:32 PM
I think they should keep the Sonics name also. just to pizz off those Seattle fuggers.

and "Sonics" is so stereotypical OKC it about makes me pee my pants.:D

FroggyStyle22
5/4/2008, 05:33 PM
No way! It has to be the "OKC Sonics" in order to remind the planet OKC is a hellacool place because it has an NBA team named for a fast-food outlet with carhop service and average onion rings.:D

Can the cheerleaders wear rollerskates and those really cool change holders on their belts?

SoonerBorn68
5/4/2008, 05:53 PM
I want the two dorks in the mini van to do the play-by-play & color.

Jimminy Crimson
5/4/2008, 07:27 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooooow!

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2008, 07:38 PM
I see Sic Em hasn't lost that *********giness...;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/4/2008, 07:40 PM
Reeding iz hahrd.

Sooner_Havok
5/4/2008, 07:44 PM
Reeding iz hahrd.

Oklahoma City Illiterate Red Necks! Sums up how the nation views us don't ya think? :texan:

BigRedJed
5/4/2008, 09:49 PM
Who did it, then, BRJ? This thread has a NEED TO KNOW! Doggone it, just who is the genius telling passers-by about that Lighters Museum?
Someone here suggested that it was put up there by Lamar, who I'm guessing probably owns the sign (since it says Lamar on it, and sign companies are generally reticent to buy space on competitors' signs).

Sign companies will often put up placeholders on unsold boards that promote their own services, but sometimes they put things up in an effort to provide a community service or an attempt to generate buzz. Seems plausible that might have been the case here, but of course since I have no proof, I certainly would be willing to entiertain the notion that it was someone other than Lamar.

All I know is that it was not the state that funded it. It doesn't conform to any of the requirements for advertising funded in full or in part by the OTRD. You can take my word for that or not.

I never suggested that I know who did put up/paid for the sign; only that I knew for a fact who did not.

Whet
5/4/2008, 09:56 PM
How about the Okla Tourism folks move the lighter museum to Boley, it would be near their sign on I-75! It would make more sense to have a Okla Tourism sign advertising the museum be near the museum!

royalfan5
5/4/2008, 09:59 PM
Is the Ditch Witch Museum still open in Perry, though?

GottaHavePride
5/4/2008, 10:02 PM
Wut?