PDA

View Full Version : Quarter House

SteelClip49
5/3/2008, 10:28 PM
I used to go there with my dad and friends back in the day when it was around for some damn good food and pre-game and post game entertainment. Great food, loads of games, damn good tea. I believe the clock or sign is still there on Campus Corner but why did it end?

King Crimson
5/3/2008, 10:49 PM
did it close? if so, i'm guessing Molly Boren decided that everyplace on Campus Corner should serve Tiramisu or grow tulips. that's what makes a great university.

GottaHavePride
5/3/2008, 11:03 PM
I'm guessing people just stopped going there. Oh, and Harrold's raised the rent all over Campus Corner a few years back; there was a LOT of turnover. Which was partly good, because when I first got to campus CC was looking pretty run-down.

yermom
5/4/2008, 02:16 AM
the rumor i heard was that a guy i used to know got caught bringing his baby to work there and leaving it behind the bar.

i'm not sure how that would cause them to close, but that is the story i heard. maybe he bought it a lemonade or something

tommieharris91
5/4/2008, 03:56 AM
I'm guessing people just stopped going there. Oh, and Harrold's raised the rent all over Campus Corner a few years back; there was a LOT of turnover. Which was partly good, because when I first got to campus CC was looking pretty run-down.

ROFL Harold's will shut down at the end of May.

Rhino
5/4/2008, 11:19 AM
Well, Harold's outlet will close. Harold's will remain open.

Man, Quarter House closed almost a decade ago, guys. Sat empty for about three years before a church took it over, then Logan's and Moe's took it over.

SteelClip49
5/4/2008, 06:42 PM
time is always slow when young then when high school starts...it flies, can't believe it's been that long.

mdklatt
5/5/2008, 12:12 PM
why did it end?

I heard something about the Health Department, but that was just a rumor.

Boomer.....
5/5/2008, 01:39 PM
That place was sooooo run down. There used to be bums hanging around that place all of the time.

Jimminy Crimson
5/5/2008, 01:44 PM
Well, Harold's outlet will close. Harold's will remain open.

Man, Quarter House closed almost a decade ago, guys. Sat empty for about three years before a church took it over, then Logan's and Moe's took it over.

According to an article I saw, Harold's also lost their lease...

OUDoc
5/5/2008, 01:45 PM
Quarter House? Where on Campus Corner was it?

Rhino
5/5/2008, 02:01 PM
According to an article I saw, Harold's also lost their lease... Yikes. A lot of Campus Corner places "losing" their leases lately.

Taxman71
5/5/2008, 02:03 PM
Quarterhouse was always good for some darts from 2 to 3 a.m. if you didn't score at Brother's or Suger's.

Boomer.....
5/5/2008, 02:05 PM
Quarter House? Where on Campus Corner was it?

Where Logan's is now. 2 doors north of Louie's.

LilSooner
5/5/2008, 02:06 PM
Wow that's crazy seeing that Harold Powell's son owns all that.

Damn tough family.

Jimminy Crimson
5/5/2008, 03:33 PM
Harold's Stores Announces Closing Of Its Norman Store

(RTTNews) - Harold's Stores, Inc. (HRLS.PK) on Friday said that lease negotiations for the original Harold's store in Norman, OK were unsuccessful after several months of discussions with the landlord.

After a number of attempts to reach an equitable lease agreement, the company's final submission on April 30, 2008 was denied. The landlord served the store with a notice of termination, which requires the company to vacate the space by May 31, 2008.

Last month the company announced a consolidation of its Norman outlet location to its larger, 20,000 sq. ft. outlet warehouse in Oklahoma City, located at 8345 North Rockwell.

:(

GottaHavePride
5/5/2008, 08:07 PM
I thought Harold's owned half of campus corner. Guess not.

sooneron
5/5/2008, 09:55 PM
Harold's closing is sad indeed. Although I stopped buying clothes there a while ago, it's a Norman institution. My dad got his oxfords there.

Soonerus
5/5/2008, 09:59 PM
Harold's former owners own half of campus corner...

goodonya
5/6/2008, 09:04 AM
Quarter House was owned by a good friend and fraternity brother of mine. He opened it up after a successful run in Lubbock of the 3rd largest "honky tonk" after Gilley's & Billy Bob's. His BIL is a partner in the Mont. My bud is a hella good guy.

sooneron
5/7/2008, 10:21 AM
Wow that's crazy seeing that Harold Powell's son owns all that.

Damn tough family.

His son isn't exactly and endearing type of guy, Nothing like Harold and Anne. Of course, Harold's has been a publicly traded company for a while now. But still...

That store is what got the landlord the life he has now.

Rogue
5/7/2008, 06:52 PM
Quarter House double onion cheeseburgers...mmm.

Boomer.....
5/14/2008, 07:12 AM
Harold's says Campus Corner store to stay put

The Norman Transcript

Transcript Staff Writer

Just a week after announcing it was leaving its Campus Corner location in Norman, Harold's Stores Inc. reversed itself and said it was staying.

In a statement issued Tuesday, Ron Staffieri, Harold's chief executive officer, said company officials had reached an agreement with Rainey Powell, son of Harold's founder, Harold Powell, and the landlord for the Campus Corner location.

"We were extremely disappointed that we were going to have to close the Norman store and made every effort to keep the lines of communication with the landlord open," Staffieri said. "We were thrilled to be able to come to an equitable lease agreement and think that remaining a part of historic Campus Corner will help to preserve the heritage of our brand and maintain strong relationships with existing customers in that community."

Additional discussions, Staffieri said, "proved successful and the company has reached an equitable lease agreement with the landlord."

Last week Harold's issued a press release saying it planned to close its original Norman location because lease negotiations were "unsuccessful after several months."

Prior to that statement, Harold's announced a consolidation of its Norman outlet at 575 S. University Blvd. to a larger, 20,000-square-foot outlet warehouse in Oklahoma City at 8345 N. Rockwell Ave.

At 329 W. Boyd St. on Campus Corner, the current Harold's store occupies the location of the original Harold's, which opened in 1948.

Rainey Powell said he was pleased Harold's would be staying.

"I think both parties have an appreciation for the history of that store and the location," he said. "We're excited Harold's will continue to be on Campus Corner."

The new, multi-year lease, Powell said, "was an equitable arrangement for both parties."

"We continued to talk and try to work through our issues," he said. "Both parties were well motivated. We had a meeting of the minds. We're pleased Harold's will to remain in Norman."

While Powell, who once served as president of the company, is no longer involved in its daily operation, the Powell family remains a minority shareholder in Harold's Store's Inc.

Harold's has 41 stores in 19 states and two outlets. In Oklahoma, Harold's has a store in Norman and a branch store at Oklahoma City's 50 Penn Place.

http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_135002314

Jimminy Crimson
5/14/2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, Rainey came to his senses after Dad got word of it...