PDA

View Full Version : sad day at the Derby...

colleyvillesooner
5/3/2008, 05:48 PM
2nd place horse broke both front ankles galloping after the race and was euthanized on the track immediatley to put it out of it's misery. :(

olevetonahill
5/3/2008, 05:54 PM
aint it Amazing .:D

SoonerJack
5/3/2008, 09:06 PM
we saw that one lying on the track. didn't realize the injury was that bad. man that sucks.

Soonerus
5/3/2008, 09:47 PM
It was the filly...

Okla-homey
5/4/2008, 08:03 AM
You know, you could fit the total of my equine knowledge in a thimble, but it seems to me these high-dollar modern thoroughbreds must be bred with thin bones or something.

I don't recall hearing of this sort of thing happening to quarterhorses. Seems to me if it were happening in other breeds, it would be happening to barrel racers and other rodeo stock.

what say you horse people?

royalfan5
5/4/2008, 08:46 AM
You know, you could fit the total of my equine knowledge in a thimble, but it seems to me these high-dollar modern thoroughbreds must be bred with thin bones or something.

I don't recall hearing of this sort of thing happening to quarterhorses. Seems to me if it were happening in other breeds, it would be happening to barrel racers and other rodeo stock.

what say you horse people?

Not really a horse person, but I saw an article yesterday about the common ancestry of most of the horses in the Derby. This leads me to the hypothesis that perhaps the genetic diversity of thoughobreds is not quite what it needs to be. You can only line breed so far before it becomes an issue.

VeeJay
5/4/2008, 09:06 AM
It will be a sad day when the wimmins stop wearing those stupid looking hats:

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/news1/uploaded_images/IMG_0221%5B1%5D-754361.jpg

C&CDean
5/4/2008, 09:51 AM
Horse people:rolleyes:

I sell a lot of hay to horse people and cow people. Let me tell you the difference between a horse guy and a cow guy:

A horse guy shows up in a $50K King Ranch F-350. He's got a $500 beaver pelt hat, a $90 popper shirt, starched Wrangler's, $600 exotic skin boots, a $100 belt with his name on the back and a $100 buckle boasting of some rodeo or horse show exploit. Before he opens the door of the truck, you can smell his nasty-assed cologne.

A cow guy shows up in a 1982 F-350 that's been paid off for over two decades. Not a single tire matches on the thing. He's got an OEC or John Deere hat that somebody gave to him and it is in serious need of an oil change. He's got bib overalls on with patches all over them. He's got a pearl snap shirt with the elbows worn out or with the sleeves cut off. He's got boots that are worn completely out with cow **** all over them. He hasn't shaved in a week, and smells like phys ed.

The horse guy goes "so, can you sell me 2 square bales, I'll pay you next week." We're talking about $4 bales here.

The cow guy goes "can you sell me 100 round bales" as he reaches into his wallet for $100's or gets out his check book. We're talking $40 bales here.

Like I said, horse people:rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2008, 10:14 AM
heh, "phys ed"

Man I loved the Goonies

LilSooner
5/4/2008, 10:27 AM
Dean I take offense to that. You need to qualify what you mean by "horse people". I have grown up around horses all my life, my mom was a photographer for a racing horse magazine and a damn good barrel racer, my dad and grandpa were ropers, and my uncle was the president of the cutting horse association.

While I know people like what you describe we aren't all like that. Hell have you met any ropers? Also we have only had a few thoroughbreds they are flighty as hell and retarded. We have only had quarterhorses and they are much better horses as far as temperaments go.

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2008, 10:40 AM
pfft, horse people. ;)

Get her Dean.

LilSooner
5/4/2008, 10:42 AM
Heh, bring it. Up until last week I was still white trash (I finally sold my double wide so I ain't white trash no more).

Now I may have moved on up with my cement pound and all, but we have never been that high fluten.

C&CDean
5/4/2008, 10:43 AM
Dean I take offense to that. You need to qualify what you mean by "horse people". I have grown up around horses all my life, my mom was a photographer for a racing horse magazine and a damn good barrel racer, my dad and grandpa were ropers, and my uncle was the president of the cutting horse association.

While I know people like what you describe we aren't all like that. Hell have you met any ropers? Also we have only had a few thoroughbreds they are flighty as hell and retarded. We have only had quarterhorses and they are much better horses as far as temperaments go.

I knew I'd get a rise outta you.

I've owned horses. Shorty died a couple years ago, and we just sold Ruby last year. Shorty was a perch/quarter horse who was almost 17 hands, and Ruby was a quarter horse. As horses go, both great animals.

Of course my comments are in general terms, but I deal with these people all the time. I think the real problem with the "average" horse guy is that a) they're all about show, and b) horses cost lots of $$ to own/train/etc. and they don't really bring much $$ in unless you're a breeder or trainer.

My closest neighbor owns cutting horses. He's got a $80K trailer with his name all over it. He spends brazillions of bucks going to shows. When I asked him about making money with his horses he goes "yeah, I make some money with them. I won $1K at a show last year in Dallas." It cost him two or three thousand just to get ready for the show. He's always broke.

I bought two bred cows last Thursday. I paid an average of $810 per head. When they calf, their calf will bring me about $600, or if they have a heifer it will go into my herd. Each of these cows should bring me another 6-8 calves before I sell them for about the same $$ I paid for them. You just can't make that kind of money with horses - unless you're bigtime.

Honestly, I love horses. I think they're dumber than dirt, but nothing is more pretty than going out on the back porch and seeing a couple muscled up horses running around the pasture with steam coming out of their nose/mouth. It's a damn fine picture, but it's an expensive one.

Flagstaffsooner
5/4/2008, 10:53 AM
I guess Olevet made the proper investment in racing stock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=749xA6dtoRc&feature=related)

LilSooner
5/4/2008, 10:54 AM
Know I don't disagree with you on the expensive part. We bred a horse for the track when I was 13 after the colt dropped we had some moron thoroughbred that ran my baby into a barb wire fence. Rosey (the colt) tore everything off on her front leg from her knee to her hock. We are talking down to the bone. I can't tell you how many tens of thousand of dollars my parents spent on that horse so that we didn't have to put her down. The vet still till this day calls her, his miracle horse. We haven't done **** with her, didn't breed her or anything.

We have five horse and don't do **** with them, but they sure are pretty. Plus they give me hugs and kisses.

BigRedJed
5/4/2008, 10:59 AM
Not really a horse person, but I saw an article yesterday about the common ancestry of most of the horses in the Derby. This leads me to the hypothesis that perhaps the genetic diversity of thoughobreds is not quite what it needs to be. You can only line breed so far before it becomes an issue.
The very name, "Thoroughbred," tells you much of what you need to know. They are inbred quite a bit to attain desirable properties, which of course causes unintended consequences (race breakdowns, bleeding lungs, etc.). Thoroghbreds all trace their lineage to three stallions imported to England from the middle east in the late 17th and early 18th century. Basically, their muscles are too powerful for their bones sometimes. The longer the stride (long stride = fast), the more likely this is to be the case.

That's one of the reasons quarter horses don't break down often in races. They have short, stubby legs built for churning out blazing speed over a short distance rather than huge strides over a long distance. But, just to be clear, the American Quarter Horse owes its lineage in part to the Thoroughbred breed.

And no, I'm not a horse person, and don't even follow racing that much anymore. But when I was a kid I religiously read all of Marguerite Henry's books, often many times over (Misty of Chincoteague, Justin Morgan had a Horse, Brighty of the Grand Canyon, etc.). If you read King of the Wind, it was about the Godolphin Arabian, one of the three that all Thoroughbreds trace their lineage to.

Also, the ex was involved in non-competitive hunter jumper stuff (they generally use Thoroughbreds), so I got dragged to some shows and stables to see horses and competitions friends were involved in (including one who had a world champion Morgan). I guess I learned a little through osmosis. Still doesn't mean I've spent much time on a horse.

And no, reading everything Marguerite Henry wrote doesn't make me gay. NTTAWWT.

C&CDean
5/4/2008, 11:02 AM
Know I don't disagree with you on the expensive part. We bred a horse for the track when I was 13 after the colt dropped we had some moron thoroughbred that ran my baby into a barb wire fence. Rosey (the colt) tore everything off on her front leg from her knee to her hock. We are talking down to the bone. I can't tell you how many tens of thousand of dollars my parents spent on that horse so that we didn't have to put her down. The vet still till this day calls her, his miracle horse. We haven't done **** with her, didn't breed her or anything.

We have five horse and don't do **** with them, but they sure are pretty. Plus they give me hugs and kisses.

Don't you mean the vet calls her his cash cow?:P

A guy I cut hay for raises thoroughbreds and quarterhorses to run at Remington Park and over in Arkansas. Some of those thoroughbreds just stand there twitching and jerking. Their eyes are completely crazy. He doesn't even pasture them together. And he's always stone cold broke. I have to cut his hay on the shares because he can't afford to pay me.

BigRedJed
5/4/2008, 11:07 AM
Don't you mean the vet calls her his cash cow?:P

A guy I cut hay for raises thoroughbreds and quarterhorses to run at Remington Park and over in Arkansas. Some of those thoroughbreds just stand there twitching and jerking. Their eyes are completely crazy. He doesn't even pasture them together. And he's always stone cold broke. I have to cut his hay on the shares because he can't afford to pay me.
That has as much to do with the state of the horse racing business in Oklahoma as anything. Dog and horse tracks added in neighboring states, then the emergence of Indian gaming and now the lottery have decimated the Oklahoma horse racing industry. Purses were absolutely pathetic until recently. The conversion to racino has helped Remington quite a bit, but the horse racing business just ain't what it used to be.

Turd_Ferguson
5/4/2008, 11:13 AM
I went to school in Blanchard with a girl who's parents bred and raised QH's. I would help her feed them after school from time to time. Those horses were crazy and mean as hell. Many of times I had to fight them off with a feed bucket.

LilSooner
5/4/2008, 11:23 AM
When did you go to school in Blanchard? I graduated from there in 99. As far as I know I was the only one in three graduating classes that had horses, unless you are talking about the Brooks.

Turd_Ferguson
5/4/2008, 11:54 AM
The Powell's out East of town were the ones I'm talking about. I didn't know of any Brooks that actually had quarter horses. All of'm I knew were Jockey's. Oh, and I graduated in 85.

LilSooner
5/4/2008, 11:58 AM
Your old.

Turd_Ferguson
5/4/2008, 12:00 PM
Your old.No ****

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2008, 12:03 PM
Your old.

Your old what?

lexsooner
5/4/2008, 01:05 PM
"Horse people" in central Kentucky wear designer clothes and drive Mercedes and have first names like "Derwood." The most wealthy ones don't even live here year-round. They are the living embodiment of the term "blue blood."

Horse people:rolleyes:

I sell a lot of hay to horse people and cow people. Let me tell you the difference between a horse guy and a cow guy:

A horse guy shows up in a $50K King Ranch F-350. He's got a $500 beaver pelt hat, a $90 popper shirt, starched Wrangler's, $600 exotic skin boots, a $100 belt with his name on the back and a $100 buckle boasting of some rodeo or horse show exploit. Before he opens the door of the truck, you can smell his nasty-assed cologne.

A cow guy shows up in a 1982 F-350 that's been paid off for over two decades. Not a single tire matches on the thing. He's got an OEC or John Deere hat that somebody gave to him and it is in serious need of an oil change. He's got bib overalls on with patches all over them. He's got a pearl snap shirt with the elbows worn out or with the sleeves cut off. He's got boots that are worn completely out with cow **** all over them. He hasn't shaved in a week, and smells like phys ed.

The horse guy goes "so, can you sell me 2 square bales, I'll pay you next week." We're talking about $4 bales here.

The cow guy goes "can you sell me 100 round bales" as he reaches into his wallet for $100's or gets out his check book. We're talking $40 bales here.

Like I said, horse people:rolleyes:

Melo
5/4/2008, 02:28 PM
If you read King of the Wind, it was about the Godolphin Arabian, one of the three that all Thoroughbreds trace their lineage to.

Darley Arabian and Byerly Turk.

BudSooner
5/4/2008, 08:46 PM
The Powell's out East of town were the ones I'm talking about. I didn't know of any Brooks that actually had quarter horses. All of'm I knew were Jockey's. Oh, and I graduated in 85.

Jack Brooks?
Dean, are you speaking of Rodney Reed? Just wondering, i've heard that man makes some serious coin training quarter horses, I cannot remember the mans name but G.R. Carter has ridden many of his horses...a larger number of them during the All American futurity.
Damn, anyway at one point Carters trainers was the all time leading trainer in wins/money overall in horse racing, yet Reed commands more to have horses in his stables.

Ya know, now that I think about it....Jack Brooks IS Carters trainer.

soonerinabilene
5/4/2008, 09:15 PM
I was wondering why there were so many long faces after the race.

Sooner_Bob
5/5/2008, 12:52 PM
Heh, bring it. Up until last week I was still white trash (I finally sold my double wide so I ain't white trash no more).

Now I may have moved on up with my cement pound and all, but we have never been that high fluten.

Hate to break it to ya Lil . . . we are and always will be "white trash". (to the rest of the world anyway) We're Okies. :P

That stuff don't wash off just by sellin' the trailer. :D