PDA

View Full Version : Amazing things

Norman Sooner
5/3/2008, 05:29 PM
I will be the first to admit that i dont know much about horse racing or horses at all. However, i do find the races to be one of the most exciting 2 minutes. I also find it amazing that an animal ofthat size can run at those speeds.

Its terrible what happened to 8 Belles and i find it depressing that a horse can bust his ***, come in second in the race only to break both front ankles and be euthanized on the track..:(

tommieharris91
5/3/2008, 05:45 PM
Its terrible what happened to 8 Belles and i find it depressing that a horse can bust his ***, come in second in the race only to break both front ankles and be euthanized on the track..:(

Can't wait to hear what PETA has to say about this...

Shneeg11
5/3/2008, 05:51 PM
it was a she

BigRedJed
5/3/2008, 05:54 PM
I have been looking forward to the Derby all week. Sat down to watch it this afternoon, and fell asleep before it went off. Now I'm glad that I slept through it.

It tore me up to see that happen to Mr. Brooks a few (holy crap... ...I just looked this up... ...IT WAS 16) years ago. I watched it live and was struck by what an awful turn it is to see such a finely tuned creature, at the very pinnacle of athletic achievement and precision, give its life for sport, all in the blink of an eye.

Seems odd to compare humans to horses, but I felt a similar way watching Duk Koo Kim die in the ring (well, he died later, but never awoke from the knockout) at the hands of Ray Mancini 25 or so years ago. Again, the triumph of excellence turned into tragedy in a heartbeat.

Anyway, glad I slept through it.

soonerloyal
5/3/2008, 05:55 PM
HOLY CARP!!! Did that happen at the Derby today?! What did I miss?!

Stupid-hadta-go-visit-the-inlaws-at- their-dumb-old-Poinciana-time-share-this-afternoon...

BigRedJed
5/3/2008, 05:56 PM
Like Norman Sooner said, she came in second, and in pulling up after the race, broke both of her front ankles and had to be euthanized on the track.

BigRedJed
5/3/2008, 06:05 PM
And... ...correcting myself again, the Mancini/Kim fight was called on a TKO, and THEN Kim collapsed into a coma.

Carry on.

Chuck Bao
5/3/2008, 06:32 PM
That's what you get when you breed horses for speed. Over time, these types of problems will more frequently occur. But, it is indeed quite sad.

It's like breeding bulldogs and they often have probelms with their bulging eyes.

I was watching a Discovery Channel program yesterday about the minature people of Palau. the scientist were saying that it breaks all previous concepts of human evolution. The small island and limited food resulted in minature people. I'm like telling them (actually not them but the TV) NO. They may have been small to start with, but if they really like petite women who don't need much to eat, I can see that happening over 500 years.

I think my point is that the more we interbreed, the better, so we don't produce race horses and bulldogs and little people.