PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Afternoon

Scott D
5/3/2008, 02:20 PM
If you haven't gathered by my avatar, and the accompanying information my best friend of 13 years has moved on to Doggy Heaven. Bear was probably one of the greatest dogs you could ever ask for. He never had a foul temper, never attacked anyone, and always sought to please 'mommy and daddy'. However, he has been suffering from arthritis and other assorted ailments for the past year. In recent weeks his condition had gotten worse, and we think that at some point he popped his right shoulder out of socket so that his arm would lay at an odd angle, and the pain from that affected his ability to not only walk but to stand up from a laying down position. He'd also lost roughly half his bodyweight over the past couple of years. Part of that was a change to his diet, the rest of it was due to his arthritis and becoming a less active dog. But he lived a full 15-16 years, and for that we celebrate his life.

At this point we are still coping with the decision we made to ease his pain, and we know that we made the right choice. It's the aftermath that we have to worry about now, how will Ciani react. She already looked for Bear when we came home from the Vet without him, and she will be looking for him for quite some time to go. The last thing I whispered to Bear as he was getting ready for his final breaths was that mommy and daddy would be seeing him soon, but until then to enjoy playing with the other dogs and chasing the ducks that he so loved to chase during his life.

All I can ask is for everyone to give their pets an extra hug tonight. And love them for as long as they are around. And in a note of irony, we just started getting a relatively massive downpour of rain within an hour of Bear's passing.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/sargmon/bear1.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/sargmon/bear2.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/sargmon/bear.jpg

Boomer.....
5/3/2008, 02:23 PM
So sorry to hear that. :(

proud gonzo
5/3/2008, 02:25 PM
:(

bluedogok
5/3/2008, 02:26 PM
Too many of us have had to do that this year, my sympathies as someone who had to make that decision in January.

r5TPsooner
5/3/2008, 02:27 PM
Bummer. My sister has two wonderful big dogs and one is in a lot of pain. When I asked her (for the pet's sake) to put her down, she just left the room.

Pets can be very important to people and sometimes it's hard to say good-bye.

Best of luck.

soonerbrat
5/3/2008, 02:27 PM
so sorry, Scott

olevetonahill
5/3/2008, 02:44 PM
Sad Indeed bro.

BigRedJed
5/3/2008, 02:48 PM
"The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog." - George Graham Vest

RIP, Bear.

Mixer!
5/3/2008, 02:48 PM
Hang in there.

Flagstaffsooner
5/3/2008, 02:58 PM
Sorry, Scott. I know how you feel.

Chuck Bao
5/3/2008, 03:01 PM
My heart goes out to you and your family.

RIP Bear!

texas bandman
5/3/2008, 03:32 PM
My sincerest sympathy. My family has a 16 year old cocker spaniel (Bud) that is in a similar situation. He can hardly walk because of arthritis (I have to carry him outside to do his business in the morning), is totally deaf, can't see very well,and is senile. He is in a lot of pain, but my 9 year old son loves the old dog so much, and we don't want to break his heart. It's always hard losing a family member.
RIP Bear.

Jerk
5/3/2008, 03:52 PM
Sorry to hear this. I was never a dog person until I got one. Now I feel like he's my child. I don't think I will handle it well when it's his time.

Curly Bill
5/3/2008, 03:54 PM
So sorry for your loss. There has been too many of us experience this within the past several months on here. Prayers be with you.

batonrougesooner
5/3/2008, 03:58 PM
I'm sorry for your loss and your pain.

We're getting near that point with our 14 year old cocker. Not looking forward to it.

tommieharris91
5/3/2008, 04:11 PM
This makes me miss my dog. I will understand your pain when the time comes that I have to do this to my dog in Tulsa.

Condolences.

Scott D
5/3/2008, 04:13 PM
My sincerest sympathy. My family has a 16 year old cocker spaniel (Bud) that is in a similar situation. He can hardly walk because of arthritis (I have to carry him outside to do his business in the morning), is totally deaf, can't see very well,and is senile. He is in a lot of pain, but my 9 year old son loves the old dog so much, and we don't want to break his heart. It's always hard losing a family member.
RIP Bear.

That's probably been the hardest part of the last 8 months or so. We've (mostly me unless I'm out of town for work) have had to carry him down 3 flights of stairs to take him out to do his business. And there were times he had trouble walking even on the soft spongy grass (more towards the end than earlier). I take comfort in knowing that he never quit trying even through today, his body just eventually betrayed him more and more.

olevetonahill
5/3/2008, 04:49 PM
Its been 37 years since My folks had Spot put down . My eyes still Get wet when I think of him
My Dad brought him home when I was 4 , I was 21 when they Had to have him put to sleep .
I grew up with him .

swardboy
5/3/2008, 05:03 PM
I've had to take two to the vet for a final farewell this year. We're down to one furry friend. Our neighborhood is notorious for dog dumping....makes me and the missus so mad that people treat animals that way.

Condolences....

Widescreen
5/3/2008, 05:27 PM
That stinks, Scott. We had to do that a couple of years ago. I know it's not easy. The weird part was constantly looking out the back window to see if he needed to be let in and then realizing "Oh yeah, he's gone." :(

colleyvillesooner
5/3/2008, 05:30 PM
sorry Scott :(

StoopTroup
5/3/2008, 07:32 PM
So sorry to hear Scott.

OUr condolences to yOUr Family for the loss.

We had the same type situation when we lost our Brittney "Beavis".

Buddy our new Golden has been such a wonderful edition since our loss.

I hope you all soon find comfort and pleasure in your memories of your old pal as we have done.

Take care

ST and Family.

soonerhubs
5/3/2008, 09:08 PM
My condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sooner24
5/3/2008, 09:08 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your lose. As I type this my friend, of 15 years, is here at my feet asleep. He is still pretty active and healthy for his age. I hope when his time comes he just goes to sleep and doesn't wake up. Once again your lose is felt.

leavingthezoo
5/3/2008, 09:59 PM

i'm glad you had so many years with bear and sorry you couldn't have more. i admire you all for putting his comfort first. it's such a difficult decision, such an unselfish one, too.

Tailwind
5/3/2008, 11:42 PM
Sympathy tears and hugs for you. I know you will miss him, but he isn't in any pain now.

Frozen Sooner
5/4/2008, 12:43 AM
Sorry Scott.

SCOUT
5/4/2008, 12:49 AM
Scott, unfortunately I can empathize with you. I had two dogs we were with us for 10 and 12 years respectively. I am not sure of their real ages because they were strays, but we loved them very much. They both passed away within the last 3 months and it has been terrible.

I tell people that we got the new dog because it was an easier transition for my 6 year old, but I think it was more for me.

Losing a dog is terrible. I know it is a cliche but I look back at their lives and I am grateful for the time. I am sure you can do that too.

Keep your chin up.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/4/2008, 01:04 AM
So sad. :(

nmsoonergirl
5/4/2008, 05:26 PM

Okla-homey
5/4/2008, 05:30 PM
sorry bro. A puppy is good for what ails you. You can't ever replace a good dog, but you can sure take your mind off missing him with a new furball bounding and yipping and peeing all over the casa.:D

Hang in there. God loves dogs. That's why He made them about the only animals we willingly bring into our lives, share our homes and food with, and often even let sleep in our beds.

olevetonahill
5/4/2008, 06:32 PM
Wrong Homey :)
God Made Dogs to show Us how we should act.:cool:

Sooner_Havok
5/4/2008, 06:55 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that man. I had to put down my Shih Tzu puppy just last month. He may have been 16 years old, but he was and will always be my puppy. Towards the end, he didn't have the best control over his "business" so when he barked at the back door, you had less then 30 seconds to let him out, or he would give up and find a nice corner in which to do his deed. I still catch myself getting him a cookie when I go to get one for the other dog.

In the end though, making and going through with the decision is the hardest part. After the deed is done, things get better. I'm not going to lie, I have gone and told his ashes I love him from time to time, but it just seems that after you put them down, the guilt of doing it fades, and you can more clearly realize that what you did was the right thing. When you have to hold your dog up so he can use the bathroom, he isn't enjoying life anymore.

OUHOMER
5/4/2008, 07:54 PM
Sorry to hear that, We will be putting my moms dog down with in the next month. she is 14, has all the aging problems, plus a growth on he leg the size of a tennis ball. Vet said the growth would not hurt her, but its getting bigger. She can barley get around and is going blind. She never strays more than a few feet from the porch now.

Big Red Ron
5/4/2008, 07:59 PM
Rest in peace Bear!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/sargmon/bear.jpg

My buddy, Kelly, died after 15 years about 10 years ago. Had her from my Soph. year in HS, all through college and as I started my life.

It was hard but I finally went an got my daughter a puppy from the pound about a year ago. Bandit has been "Dad's dog" ever since. I wasn't sure I could do it again.

Sorry for your loss man!

birddog
5/4/2008, 08:52 PM
i know all to well about making that decision. it has certainly affected my decision to get another pup, just doesn't seem right yet.

sorry to hear scotty, it eases your pain to know how good of a life you gave him.

Big Red Ron
5/5/2008, 08:34 AM
i know all to well about making that decision. it has certainly affected my decision to get another pup, just doesn't seem right yet.

sorry to hear scotty, it eases your pain to know how good of a life you gave him.It will do wonders, not just any puppy will do. Go to the pound a few times and find that special one. It amazes me how a silly little puppy has cured my heart and eased my very busy mind. Little rascals! ;)

OUDoc
5/5/2008, 08:37 AM

fadada1
5/5/2008, 08:52 AM
very sad.

you gave him a great home. rest easy with that thought. too many dogs don't get to live like that.

dolemitesooner
5/5/2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry to hear scott

captain_surly
5/5/2008, 12:25 PM
In addition to having a relatively long life it's obvious your dog got much love as well. You provided him with all a dog could want. Try to take some comfort from that.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Sooner_Bob
5/5/2008, 12:29 PM
Loosing a pet is never fun . . . hang in there Scott.

sooneron
5/5/2008, 12:36 PM
So sad. RIP, Bear. There's a special place for him in a big field somewhere...

Animal Mother
5/7/2008, 05:11 PM
Holding one of our cats as she was put to sleep was right there with making it through my mom and dad's memorial services. Pets are not animals they are just funny looking people, ya know?