PDA

View Full Version : How can we get Lou Holtz

Vegas Sooner
5/3/2008, 04:09 AM
...out of College Gameday? Several of my friends and I have written letters-etc, as many other alumni and fans of other universities, but its not working. Suggestions????? Sick of Daffy!

Flagstaffsooner
5/3/2008, 04:36 AM
Why, I love seeing him make an a$$ out of himself. As a kid I watched cartoons on Saterday morning, now I watch Gameday.

Harry Beanbag
5/3/2008, 08:35 AM
He'll eventually start decomposing. They'll have to take him off the air then won't they?

Flagstaffsooner
5/3/2008, 01:43 PM
He'll eventually start decomposing. They'll have to take him off the air then won't they?
He's already more decomposed than the Odor Eaters in my ten year old sneakers.:D

King Crimson
5/3/2008, 02:02 PM
as long as there is a cement pond, there will be vittles.

soonerloyal
5/3/2008, 05:45 PM
I could have sworn the completion of your title sentence was gonna be

"...a new pair of spit-free dentures?"

My bad.
:D

snp
5/3/2008, 06:10 PM
For every email you write dissing Lou, I shall write 3 praising him. Don't take his halftime speeches away from me.

goingoneight
5/4/2008, 08:50 PM
You guyschz schoulduh really conschider what coatsch Holtzsch brinschz to the tabe-uhl.

I thought this thread was about firing Venables for Lou Holtz. :P We don't want a coach to light a fire up under OUr guys, we want a guy who will spit enough to put it out.

OU_Sooners75
5/4/2008, 09:02 PM
...out of College Gameday? Several of my friends and I have written letters-etc, as many other alumni and fans of other universities, but its not working. Suggestions????? Sick of Daffy!

Bring back Trev Alberts!

At least he didnt spit all over the cameras.

badger
5/4/2008, 09:31 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/sioncampus/10/24/kentucky.football/cc_holtz.jpg
why you guys always pickin' on ol' Lou? what has he even done besides...

1- Curse ND twice in one season.
2- Curse Oklahoma State by impersonating Mike Gundy's "That's not true!" speech.
3- NOT pep talk us.

There you have it... Holtz here to stay! :D

Besides, I find his pep talks very funny. I am not joking, they are hilarious and I would be sad if they were gone next season... but he can disappear from the rest of the show if he wants

soonermix
5/5/2008, 09:55 AM
while we are in the firing mode lets get rid of corso and mark may also

SteelClip49
5/5/2008, 10:03 AM
Lou Holtz looks like Dilbert...

btw, he can curse Notre Dame all he wants...their last national title was under him.

soonerfan28
5/5/2008, 10:04 AM
What mental hospital did Lou come from again. Just kidding, I loved watching the Bus and Reggie Brooks at Notre Dame. I just hate watching this guy talk. I think I saw this skit on SNL.

Youngsooner
5/5/2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah we need to get him out of there... I have a feeling he might be giving OU a Pep talk before our bowl game... and there would go another bowl... get him off the air fast!!!!!

humblesooner
5/5/2008, 11:27 AM
I would say keep writing letters. That'll work.

Every letter/e-mail you write, regardless of the content (pro or con) is another letter telling the networks that you are watching. That is all they and their advertisers are interested in.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/5/2008, 11:57 AM
Ahh let him be...His Gundy speech made up for all the thpittin he does

SoCal
5/5/2008, 03:39 PM
Mark May is the one that needs to be fired!! I think Granny was really bad when he first got the job on "Game Day" but he has improved a lot.

Collier11
5/5/2008, 04:55 PM
sending letters and emails will keep him there for along time, give the guy attention and they know you are watching

reddfoxx
5/7/2008, 09:47 AM
While we're at it- please, please fire Pam Ward.

The only thing good about her play-by-play is that she is usually doing a pathetic Big 10 game that no one wants to watch anyway.

adoniijahsooner
5/7/2008, 10:39 AM
Can anyone tell me why they got rid of trev alberts? I use to love the fights between him and mark may. Also, coach holtz is good for business, but it is disgusting to hear him talk on a saturday as i sit down for a bowl of cereal.

r5TPsooner
5/7/2008, 11:12 AM
Bring back Trev Alberts.

snp
5/7/2008, 11:18 AM
Can anyone tell me why they got rid of trev alberts? I use to love the fights between him and mark may. Also, coach holtz is good for business, but it is disgusting to hear him talk on a saturday as i sit down for a bowl of cereal.

Didn't show up for work and complained about the lack of respect he was getting compared to the College Gameday trio.

badger
5/7/2008, 11:31 AM
http://www.orangeandbluehue.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/trev-alberts.jpg
TA: "Here are my five top Heisman candidates, and now I am going to go out of my way to say that Adrian Peterson is not going to win the Heisman. He's going to have a sophomore slump and he's just sucky and I'm so awesome and know all... Here are my top five teams for this year, and I am once again going to go out of my way to remind all you stupid Sooner that Oklahoma is not going to finish in the top 10, because I'm a bitter announcer and if I could really see into the future, I would probably be able to tell that viewers don't find me nearly as attractive and knowledgeable as Herbie and I'm going to get fired."

OR...
http://www.thejockrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/holtz.jpg
LH: "Ahllrahght jentmen, we gotta game 'day. Here's me impersonating Gundy's rant. Here's me cutting up a newspaper and magically turning it back into itself. Here's me telling Nebraska that nobody will ever remember their pathetic team ever again. Here's me cursing Notre Dame against Navy. Wow, this tie is really too big on me. Take da feeld!"

I choose Holtz. He's far too funny and hasn't been a jerk to anyone like some commentators have been. He seems like a nice guy and even if he's a bad announcer with an unclear voice at times (ok, MANY times) he has his part to play, just like Dick V on basketball. Annoying sometimes, yes. But I'd miss 'em if they were gone.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/7/2008, 12:00 PM
Difference between Lou and dickie is that lou is just in the studio, so you dont have to listen to him during the game..i would more than welcome vitale getting his walking papers

Jason White's Third Knee
5/7/2008, 01:07 PM
I like Lou Holtz. There has been so much worse... Hell, at least the man knows how to coach.

Yeah, yeah. Do your worst. I am not afraid.

badger
5/7/2008, 01:52 PM
True, I didn't think about that aspect, I was just considering pregame, post-game aspects, not in-game commentary.

So, Dickie V = Lou Holtz before/after game, but Dickie V= fired for during game. Makes sense :D

I know that Lou Holtz has a funny voice and isn't exactly going to pose on magazine covers (trying to block out memories of Dick Vitale in a Cinderella costume here.... CRAP!), but I can't help but feel sorry for the guy on the way his illustrious coaching career ended and while it would be easy to dog him repeatedly for his voice and such, has he really done anything terrible on-air so far, or has he said anything terrible about any coaches, athletes or programs?

Take Trev Alberts for example... well, I already covered him. He went out of his way to kick OU a little more in our ONE off year since Bob Stoops took over. Screw you, Trev. ESPN fired you with good cause.

Take Lee Corso for example. Another former coach that ended his coaching career (although it was a lot less decorated than Lou's) in a bad way that ends up on ESPN. However, Corso has made enemies of virtually every team out there from the way he threw his corn stalk at Nebraska fans to the way he curses teams like KSU by picking them. He has said some mean things about programs, but never anything too awful.

Then, you have the likes of people like (remember to pronounce every syllable loudly) STE-PHEN A. SMI-TH, who badmouths everyone every chance he gets, or cocky never-been-athletes like Jim Rome that provokes guests to attack him and disrespects everyone.

So, to review, we have...

LIKABLE GUYS (that you wish you could hate): Dickie V (pre/postgame), Lou Holtz

NICE GUYS (that teasingly mock your favorite team): Lee Corso, Terry Bradshaw, many newspaper and magazine columnists, occasionally Kirk Herbie

NEUTRAL GUYS (that keep the program moving) Brad Nessler, the other guy with Lou Holtz not named Mark May, Desmond Howard

BAD GUYS (that need to shut up before they say something really bad): Mark May, guys that call into Sports Animal, some of the Sports Animal commentators, the two on PTI

SCUM OF SPORTS (that you wish you could reach through the television and strangle at times): Trev Alberts, Stephen A. Smith, Jim Rome, Jay Mariotti on Around the Horn

Thoughts?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/7/2008, 02:00 PM
Good assessment...give me Vern Lundquist, Pat Summerall, Al Michaels, Frank Gifford, Bob Costas and anybody else who lets the game speak for itself

Vegas Sooner
9/21/2011, 07:58 AM
Bring back Trev Alberts!

At least he didnt spit all over the cameras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t2GNy0huzI&feature=related

cleller
9/21/2011, 08:40 AM
He's like Howard Cosell in that he elicits emotions from people. When the camera is on him, you stop and listen. You may not agree with him, but you can't ignore him. Lee Corso is the same way.

Its like the old "no such thing as bad publicity" or watching car wrecks, looking thru neighbor's windows, poisoning your boss. You know its bad, but you just can't stop.

King Fuzzy
9/21/2011, 08:59 AM
I don't know if I agree with him or not. There are too many ****ing marbles in his ****ing mouth.

badger
9/21/2011, 09:01 AM
If this is still being a discussion, I think you can just wait Lou out because he has to be retiring soon. Even Corso is minimizing his Gameday duties due to age now. About all he does anymore is Saturday morning and that's it. Lou can't keep up this crazy weekend schedule forever. He probably wants to see his family more, too.

lexsooner
9/21/2011, 09:09 AM
BAD GUYS (that need to shut up before they say something really bad): guys that call into Sports Animal, some of the Sports Animal commentators

If you googled "low mentality" or "no class," pictures of Al Eschbach, Traber, and the callers would pop up on the screen.

NormanPride
9/21/2011, 09:47 AM
I love Holtz. He's funny, irreverent, and seems like a truly kind human soul. Since those seem so rare these days, I root for him. He and Mark May have a great thing going, and I used to despise Mark May.

Get rid of Musberger, though. The guy has gotten too big for his position, and is getting old and scary to look at.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/21/2011, 10:00 AM
I don't get the Holtz hate. He is one of the all-time genuine characters of college football. Sure, we may still hold a grudge from that OU-Arkansas Orange Bowl... lo those many years ago. But he is, and always has been, highly entertaining.

I guess my take is that for everyone complaining about Holtz's "daffiness", we need to remember that there are thousands in the college football world that think the same of Switzer... and worse.

"When I'm talking to you I can say ***, 'cause *** is in the Bible!" (C'mon, stuff like that is classic!)

SoonerPride
9/21/2011, 11:08 AM
I don't get the Holtz hate.

I have hated Lou Holtz since 1978.

Vegas Sooner
9/21/2011, 11:22 AM
I love Holtz. He's funny, irreverent, and seems like a truly kind human soul. Since those seem so rare these days, I root for him. He and Mark May have a great thing going, and I used to despise Mark May.

Get rid of Musberger, though. The guy has gotten too big for his position, and is getting old and scary to look at.
Musberger sat next me on the plane after the Big12 championship and he looked older than dirt. It was scary.
New people will come on board.

ESPN's EXPERTS suck. All old head coaches and players who nobody has heard of.

The Maestro
9/21/2011, 11:31 AM
I'm curious why any of you think writing letters to ESPN saying, "I don't like this guy..." will have any effect. Better use of time? Just realize they are trying to entertain. Lou is fine. Mark is fine. I don't expect them to jerk OU off every chance they get. They are known to flip flop...I think Lou actually has some good stuff to say from time to time and can be pretty funny as well. Those who get worked up and think they can control ESPN on air decisions are really amazing in the ego department to think you have ANY say in the matter.

jthomas666
9/21/2011, 11:35 AM
He'll eventually start decomposing. They'll have to take him off the air then won't they?I dunno; they still have Beano Cook.

BeaSooner
9/21/2011, 12:45 PM
Although my disdain for all things Notre Dame conflicts with this next statement....I don't mind Lou Holtz. Yes, the denture fit (or lack thereof) gets annoying. Several years back, I attended a leadership conference and he was one of the guest speakers - he did a really good job. He has an interesting life story.

GottaHavePride
9/21/2011, 01:56 PM
The solution?

LOU HOLTZ AS NEW BIG XII COMMISH!

picasso
9/21/2011, 02:01 PM
Send him a coupon book to Furr's cafeteria. That should keep him busy for a while.

picasso
9/21/2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.orangeandbluehue.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/trev-alberts.jpg
TA: "Here are my five top Heisman candidates, and now I am going to go out of my way to say that Adrian Peterson is not going to win the Heisman. He's going to have a sophomore slump and he's just sucky and I'm so awesome and know all... Here are my top five teams for this year, and I am once again going to go out of my way to remind all you stupid Sooner that Oklahoma is not going to finish in the top 10, because I'm a bitter announcer and if I could really see into the future, I would probably be able to tell that viewers don't find me nearly as attractive and knowledgeable as Herbie and I'm going to get fired."

OR...
http://www.thejockrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/holtz.jpg
LH: "Ahllrahght jentmen, we gotta game 'day. Here's me impersonating Gundy's rant. Here's me cutting up a newspaper and magically turning it back into itself. Here's me telling Nebraska that nobody will ever remember their pathetic team ever again. Here's me cursing Notre Dame against Navy. Wow, this tie is really too big on me. Take da feeld!"

I choose Holtz. He's far too funny and hasn't been a jerk to anyone like some commentators have been. He seems like a nice guy and even if he's a bad announcer with an unclear voice at times (ok, MANY times) he has his part to play, just like Dick V on basketball. Annoying sometimes, yes. But I'd miss 'em if they were gone.
You can't blame him for hating OU. Ricky Brady ruined his career.

stoopified
9/21/2011, 02:18 PM
Fire 'em,I'll take over.Sooner Love 24/7

Vegas Sooner
9/21/2011, 05:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Q2XGf4TCY
I can't type about old people anymore.

Dan Thompson
9/21/2011, 06:31 PM
His replacement could be worse.

Vegas Sooner
9/21/2011, 07:54 PM
Does anybody drool and spit more than him?? Maybe a 3rd Grader who has braces and hasn't had a juice box in front of his face for 3 weeks. ...or a fat kid watching a pie getting topped off with chocolate chips. FATTY LOVES PIE!!

Vegas Sooner
9/21/2011, 07:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t2GNy0huzI&feature=related

sperry
9/21/2011, 08:02 PM
Lou is the man.

Vegas Sooner
9/21/2011, 08:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eshlf2B2q7s

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/21/2011, 08:39 PM
Mark May is the one that needs to be fired!! I think Granny was really bad when he first got the job on "Game Day" but he has improved a lot.May is unfirable, barring him doing something totally disastrous.

DRLSooner
9/21/2011, 08:44 PM
While we're at it- please, please fire Pam Ward.

The only thing good about her play-by-play is that she is usually doing a pathetic Big 10 game that no one wants to watch anyway.She?

Eddie Money
9/21/2011, 08:52 PM
I going to come back in 20-30 years and make fun of all of you that have strokes.

SilverSooner
9/22/2011, 12:39 AM
I thay go oway Lou!