PDA

View Full Version : The All-Time OU First Team:

soonerboy_odanorth
5/3/2008, 01:42 AM
So I'm attempting Everest... so what!?!?

OFFENSE

QB-Jimmie Harris. Tough not to vote for our only Heisman guy, Jason White, at the position. And I grew up in the that magical QB wishbone era of Mildren, Davis, Lott, Watts, Bradley, Hollieway, and Thompson. But Jimmie never lost a game. Nor ever tied one. No losses, no ties, all wins....in three years. That's "three" as in 3! Put him in a modern passing system and you somehow quantify a guy like that wouldn't put it all together to do the same. Likewise he was a burner ... You don't think he could either turn it up between defenders or make that last second pitch? Good luck.

RB-Billy Sims. Still the best ever. His injury with Detroit under today's modern medical repair standards would have had him back on the field in a maximum of 18 months. In between the time that he was a TX HS legend and that last year of his career, no RB was ever more powerful and electrifying.

RB-Adrian Peterson. AD... All Day! He is one of the greats. AD is 1A to Billy's 1. And yes, it is open to debate, as in there's a chance he could be considered clear Number 1. He is the perfect hybrid of Billy and Steve Owens. Good gravy I hope he stays healthy in the NFL.

WR-Mark Clayton. Simply electrifying. Defenses could not find him because he was a ghost on the field, popping up out of the turf when you least expected. And as soon as he caught it he just disappeared... until you turned your eye to the EZ, which is exactly where he was. Forgive me Eddie Hinton, Billy Brooks, Tinker Owens and others.

FL (Slot WR)-Tommy MacDonald. NFL HOF... anyone? How about the Golden Boy himself, Paul Hornung, saying Tommy was the guy that deserved the little stiff-arming statuette. There's another guy I probably should put here.... but I have a "Special" place for him... has to do with "smoke through a keyhole."

TE- Keith Jackson. Hmmm, no NE LB or DB could chase down a 268 TE from behind. A Super Bowl Ring. I guess he was ok....

OT (Left) - Jammal Brown. A true dominator. Outland. All Pro. To date he is the best ever at OU. I stand by that.

OG (Left) - Terry Crouch. Two time All-American at OU that would have won all the major award had some dude named Remington not been playing in the NE hinterlands. It's tough to pass over a J.D. Roberts...Outland Trophy winner. But my impression is with even modern S&T methods, J.D. would not have been in Crouch's league. He was that good. Quick... name all the backs that ran through the holes he opened.

C- Jerry Tubbs. I wanted, desperately to put him on D. He may very well have been one of the first modern era NFL-sized LB's at 6'1" or 2" and 205-220(outside of a Nitschke or Nagurski.) But he played in the two-way era. And at Center is where he was a two-time All-American, Walter Camp Player of the Year trophy winner, and UPI player of the year winner. He was ahead of his time for size and speed.

OG (Right) - Greg Roberts. (Ok, two Roberts from Oklahoma with Outland Trophies... <Tracy Morgan> That's CRAZY!</Tracy Morgan> ) All-American dominator, Outland Trophy winner. And see Terry Crouch comment re backs that ran through the holes he opened. That is to say, in both cases, the backs were phenomenal... But how did they get to the second level in the opposing defense where they could display their skills?

OT (Right) - Jim Weatherall. Tough, tough pick... Thought about the U.S.S Vaughn and others.... But the nod has to go to Big Jim. ANOTHER OU All-American and Outland Trophy Winner in the early days of Bud. And to all accounts I've read, absolutley dominating.

PK... Uh.. Uwe Von Schamman. Done.

P/K R... Joe Washington. Done. (psst. Smoke. Through Said Keyhole.)

DEFENSE

LDE - Kevin Murphy. All-American and freak of a performer. He could chase them down from all over the field. Or just stuff the run with some vicious hits. It is hard not giving this to Darrell Reed. But I think Murph is probably the greatest pure Weak Side DE to ever play at OU. Though, there was some dude on the Strong Side below who I think we can agree is probably the greatest defender ever at OU.

LT - Tommie Harris. This All-American and Lombardi Award winner and All-Pro was pretty good, I guess.

RT - Tony Casillas. This All-American and Lombardi Award winner and Super Bowl Ring winner was pretty good, I guess.

RDE - Lee Roy Selmon. Sure... I guess... whatever.

WLB- Rod Shoate. The definitive WLB... 3-time consensus All-American, was one of the most intimidating players of the terrorizing defenses of '72, '73 and '74. If there'd been a Butkus, he would have owned one.

MLB- Brian Bosworth. Boz. The first two time winner of the Butkus. The only two time winner of the Butkus. At this point, given the era, I don't care about the steroids stigma. The man owned the football field. And he did single-handedly at times frighten the opposing team into quitting.

SLB- Teddy Lehman. It is with a great deal of hesitation that I make this pick. Oh yeah, two time AA, Butkus award winner. But I thought long and hard about George Cumby. Teddy's S&T resources were undoubtedly better than Cumby's. So on the surface the comparison is unfair. On the other, given their heights and weights there is little evidence that Cumby could have run with Lehman on a track. Really big. Really fast. Butkus.

RCB- Derrick Straight. Thorpe. Nagurski. And he was so increadibly consistent. Might be the best DB ever overall.

SS- Roy Williams. Superman. Thorpe. I don't know how one could argue against it.

FS- Ricky Dixon. Thorpe. And he was so good... a "shutdown" DB even defending those fancified passing offenses when he was most consistently playing in a "run first, second, and last" league.

LCB- Billy Vessels. And you were gonna Biatch that I left our #1 Heisman guy off the list. Every account I've read states that while he is listed as an RB in his award of the Heisman, the real reason that he won it was he was the most fearsome defender in all of college football that year. I'll break out the word "vicious" again. Apparently he took no quarter.

P- Darrell K Royal. Go ahead and boo. He was one of our greatest ever. He excelled a every skill position on the field. And he was a helluva P by all accounts. Tim Duncan was so very clutch, and a darn good ST player. For my money, nobody ever boomed them as high and as far as Mike Winchester. But Royal gave the punt team a whole diferent dimension.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/3/2008, 02:01 AM
I read through that and cringe at the names I had to leave off just to name one at each position. Wow. Are you happy to be a Sooner yet?

goingoneight
5/3/2008, 10:59 AM
Head Coach Bud Wilkinson...
OC Barry Switzer...
DC Bob Stoops?

;)

Pigface1
5/3/2008, 12:51 PM
Might have to go w/ Mike Stoops for DC. And find a way to get Marcus Dupree, Billy Sims, and Joe Washington in the wishbone w/ Holieway running it, Keith Jackson at TE, and then Mark Clayton. Or forget the WR, put AD in there, too, somehow. lol

MichiganSooner
5/3/2008, 12:53 PM
I can't argue with the list. My vote goes to Bud. Too young to see him coach but the streak and the championships put his over the other 2 B's.
I first got familiar with Bud back in the 1960's when I started watching football on TV. Bud did the color. He taught me what to look for in a game.

soonerfan28
5/3/2008, 08:10 PM
No love for Calmus. 2000 was a pretty good year with him in there.

Rogue
5/3/2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah, it's Everest for sure.

Notable/arguable/missing:
-a #2 WR
-No Fullback?
-Wahoo McDaniel

Collier11
5/3/2008, 09:00 PM
So I'm attempting Everest... so what!?!?

OFFENSE

QB-Jimmie Harris. Tough not to vote for our only Heisman guy, Jason White, at the position. And I grew up in the that magical QB wishbone era of Mildren, Davis, Lott, Watts, Bradley, Hollieway, and Thompson. But Jimmie never lost a game. Nor ever tied one. No losses, no ties, all wins....in three years. That's "three" as in 3! Put him in a modern passing system and you somehow quantify a guy like that wouldn't put it all together to do the same. Likewise he was a burner ... You don't think he could either turn it up between defenders or make that last second pitch? Good luck.

RB-Billy Sims. Still the best ever. His injury with Detroit under today's modern medical repair standards would have had him back on the field in a maximum of 18 months. In between the time that he was a TX HS legend and that last year of his career, no RB was ever more powerful and electrifying.

RB-Adrian Peterson. AD... All Day! He is one of the greats. AD is 1A to Billy's 1. And yes, it is open to debate, as in there's a chance he could be considered clear Number 1. He is the perfect hybrid of Billy and Steve Owens. Good gravy I hope he stays healthy in the NFL.

WR-Mark Clayton. Simply electrifying. Defenses could not find him because he was a ghost on the field, popping up out of the turf when you least expected. And as soon as he caught it he just disappeared... until you turned your eye to the EZ, which is exactly where he was. Forgive me Eddie Hinton, Billy Brooks, Tinker Owens and others.

FL (Slot WR)-Tommy MacDonald. NFL HOF... anyone? How about the Golden Boy himself, Paul Hornung, saying Tommy was the guy that deserved the little stiff-arming statuette. There's another guy I probably should put here.... but I have a "Special" place for him... has to do with "smoke through a keyhole."

TE- Keith Jackson. Hmmm, no NE LB or DB could chase down a 268 TE from behind. A Super Bowl Ring. I guess he was ok....

OT (Left) - Jammal Brown. A true dominator. Outland. All Pro. To date he is the best ever at OU. I stand by that.

OG (Left) - Terry Crouch. Two time All-American at OU that would have won all the major award had some dude named Remington not been playing in the NE hinterlands. It's tough to pass over a J.D. Roberts...Outland Trophy winner. But my impression is with even modern S&T methods, J.D. would not have been in Crouch's league. He was that good. Quick... name all the backs that ran through the holes he opened.

C- Jerry Tubbs. I wanted, desperately to put him on D. He may very well have been one of the first modern era NFL-sized LB's at 6'1" or 2" and 205-220(outside of a Nitschke or Nagurski.) But he played in the two-way era. And at Center is where he was a two-time All-American, Walter Camp Player of the Year trophy winner, and UPI player of the year winner. He was ahead of his time for size and speed.

OG (Right) - Greg Roberts. (Ok, two Roberts from Oklahoma with Outland Trophies... <Tracy Morgan> That's CRAZY!</Tracy Morgan> ) All-American dominator, Outland Trophy winner. And see Terry Crouch comment re backs that ran through the holes he opened. That is to say, in both cases, the backs were phenomenal... But how did they get to the second level in the opposing defense where they could display their skills?

OT (Right) - Jim Weatherall. Tough, tough pick... Thought about the U.S.S Vaughn and others.... But the nod has to go to Big Jim. ANOTHER OU All-American and Outland Trophy Winner in the early days of Bud. And to all accounts I've read, absolutley dominating.

PK... Uh.. Uwe Von Schamman. Done.

P/K R... Joe Washington. Done. (psst. Smoke. Through Said Keyhole.)

DEFENSE

LDE - Kevin Murphy. All-American and freak of a performer. He could chase them down from all over the field. Or just stuff the run with some vicious hits. It is hard not giving this to Darrell Reed. But I think Murph is probably the greatest pure Weak Side DE to ever play at OU. Though, there was some dude on the Strong Side below who I think we can agree is probably the greatest defender ever at OU.

LT - Tommie Harris. This All-American and Lombardi Award winner and All-Pro was pretty good, I guess.

RT - Tony Casillas. This All-American and Lombardi Award winner and Super Bowl Ring winner was pretty good, I guess.

RDE - Lee Roy Selmon. Sure... I guess... whatever.

WLB- Rod Shoate. The definitive WLB... 3-time consensus All-American, was one of the most intimidating players of the terrorizing defenses of '72, '73 and '74. If there'd been a Butkus, he would have owned one.

MLB- Brian Bosworth. Boz. The first two time winner of the Butkus. The only two time winner of the Butkus. At this point, given the era, I don't care about the steroids stigma. The man owned the football field. And he did single-handedly at times frighten the opposing team into quitting.

SLB- Teddy Lehman. It is with a great deal of hesitation that I make this pick. Oh yeah, two time AA, Butkus award winner. But I thought long and hard about George Cumby. Teddy's S&T resources were undoubtedly better than Cumby's. So on the surface the comparison is unfair. On the other, given their heights and weights there is little evidence that Cumby could have run with Lehman on a track. Really big. Really fast. Butkus.

RCB- Derrick Straight. Thorpe. Nagurski. And he was so increadibly consistent. Might be the best DB ever overall.

SS- Roy Williams. Superman. Thorpe. I don't know how one could argue against it.

FS- Ricky Dixon. Thorpe. And he was so good... a "shutdown" DB even defending those fancified passing offenses when he was most consistently playing in a "run first, second, and last" league.

LCB- Billy Vessels. And you were gonna Biatch that I left our #1 Heisman guy off the list. Every account I've read states that while he is listed as an RB in his award of the Heisman, the real reason that he won it was he was the most fearsome defender in all of college football that year. I'll break out the word "vicious" again. Apparently he took no quarter.

P- Darrell K Royal. Go ahead and boo. He was one of our greatest ever. He excelled a every skill position on the field. And he was a helluva P by all accounts. Tim Duncan was so very clutch, and a darn good ST player. For my money, nobody ever boomed them as high and as far as Mike Winchester. But Royal gave the punt team a whole diferent dimension.

Good list but I would put Calmus over Lehman

JLEW1818
5/4/2008, 01:30 AM
After this season Nic Harris will be added to the list!!! Just a feeling.

Fraggle145
5/4/2008, 02:43 AM
One possible ammendment: PR/KR Antonio Perkins - 3 for a TD in one game ya he was pretty good.

Also could see Darrell Royal as a DB still holds OU's INT record

Also P could have Jeff Ferguson was consistent and saved a Nat Title in '00

sooner59
5/4/2008, 03:49 AM
I second Antonio Perkins at PR/KR. I was at the UCLA game...good call.

King Crimson
5/4/2008, 07:46 AM
can't argue too much with that list. some pretty good football players, no doubt. until Jimmie Harris loses, he's my QB.

King Crimson
5/4/2008, 07:49 AM
I second Antonio Perkins at PR/KR. I was at the UCLA game...good call.

over Joe Washington, no way.

KantoSooner
5/4/2008, 01:04 PM
can't really argue, but I'd probably have had Uwe von Shauman at kicker.

KantoSooner
5/4/2008, 01:05 PM
you did, my bad

gauchosooner
5/4/2008, 01:17 PM
What? No Silas Satepahoodle? ;)

(BTW he was a 3rd string OT back in the mid 80's. 6-7 350lb native american.)

VA Sooner
5/4/2008, 09:31 PM
Saw Keith Jackson play Tight End and he was fantastic. Huge and built for speed... beautiful Orange Bowl catch with one of my high school classmates dropping a defender in a block while Jackson ran it in against Florida State. He couldn't get enough passes in college but someone knew he could do it which is why was one of the greatest tight ends in history.

Which brings my attention to this write-up from Collegefootballnews.com... ranking each position and OU is on almost every list but line-backer and kicker. In fact... tight end is none other than our own Jermaine Gresham at number one for the 2009 draft.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/750966.html

Read the other positions... we've got them all over the lists for the first round next year. Robinson, Loadholt, Harris, Gresham, Murray (early), Bradford (early), and Holmes.:)

Fraggle145
5/5/2008, 04:54 AM
over Joe Washington, no way.

I wasnt saying over him, just maybe equal. Both had a knack for the return game and you typically have 2 on a kickoff ;).

soonerfan28
5/5/2008, 07:56 AM
What? No Silas Satepahoodle? ;)

(BTW he was a 3rd string OT back in the mid 80's. 6-7 350lb native american.)
Any idea where he is from? I know some of the Satepauhoodle's.
I just found it on the internet. He is from my Hominy,OK where I grew up. I don't believe I ever met him though.

sooner n houston
5/5/2008, 08:33 AM

I hear him doing ads for the Houston Can Academy all the time here in Houston. He was one of my favorites back in the day. I was always suprised he didn't do better in the pro's.

KantoSooner
5/5/2008, 10:00 AM
knees. Casillas had severe knee problems almost from the get-go in the pros. He left them on Owen field. Great guy, very normal person, intelligent and well spoken.

SteelClip49
5/5/2008, 10:07 AM
where's the love for Dean Blevins?

<<<hiding now

soonerfan28
5/5/2008, 10:10 AM
where's the love for Dean Blevins?

<<<hiding now

I didn't know there was any.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/5/2008, 12:51 PM
Hard to leave Kelly Gregg off that list. He was small for his position but wrecked havoc on opposing offenses. It's too bad he was never on a winning team or he would be on everyone's list.

NormanPride
5/5/2008, 02:57 PM
Agreed, Gregg was/is one of the best. And how can we leave the FB off the list after naming a play after one of the greats, Kenny King?

CU Sooner
5/5/2008, 04:03 PM
With as many players that have been through the system it is hard to narrow down. But there is no way I put teddy in over Cumby. You talk about size and speed but that was 2 different eras. Cumby blows him away production wise.

Rogue
5/5/2008, 06:35 PM
Wow, that Scout list has our whole offensive line. Well, 4/5 of it anyhow or 5/6 when Gresham is blocking.

ouwapiti
5/5/2008, 07:38 PM
punter........how about joe don looney?????

sooneron
5/5/2008, 09:07 PM
Perkins benefited greatly from the now defunct halo rule. He was very good, but Joe W was the best.

Reggie Kinlaw was a solid NG, too.

Pigface1
5/8/2008, 10:35 AM
punter........how about joe don looney?????

Hell yes.. lol Gotta find some way to get him in the game, I don't care where it is. Didn't he punt one in the NFL and promptly look up to the sky and say, "How do you like that one, God?" lol

Tulsa_Fireman
5/9/2008, 01:02 PM
There'd be something seriously wrong if I didn't mention Parade High School All-American, 2 time National Champion, 3 year starter, 2nd round draft pick, 7 year NFL veteran, honored member of the American Indian Athletic Hall of Fame, Cherokee tribesman and Stilwell's finest offensive tackle...

Sammy Jack Claphan.

I had the honor and privledge of learning the position under this towering giant of a man the few years he spent at Carl Albert before taking the HC gig at Stilwell. Learned volumes from him, beyond technique to the values one takes off the field.

God rest his soul.