PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend National Park

SoonerProphet
5/2/2008, 10:33 PM
Anyone ever hiked the region? Our 8th grade trip left this past Monday and got back tonight. Pretty interesting area, don't know if I could live in the desert. Chisos Mountains were pretty sweet. We did a twelve mile hike yesterday and looked out over the South Rim on into Mexico. Was amazingly beautiful though.

olevetonahill
5/2/2008, 10:39 PM
Did Ya Reprt the Illegals ?

Turd_Ferguson
5/2/2008, 10:43 PM
Did Ya Reprt the Illegals ?Heh. When Visiting A Border Park
Big Bend National Park shares the border with Mexico for 118 miles. This is a remote region. Visitors should be aware that drug smuggling routes pass through the park. If you see any activity which looks illegal, suspicious, or out of place, please do not intervene. Note your location. Call 911 or report it to a ranger as quickly as possible.
Each year hundreds of people travel north through the park seeking to enter the United States. It is possible you could encounter an individual or small group trying to walk through the park with little or no water. Please do not stop, but instead, note your location and immediately call 911 or contact a ranger as soon as possible. Lack of water is a life-threatening emergency in the desert.

SoonerProphet
5/2/2008, 10:49 PM
We went down to some hot springs on the rio grande. Kids bought some some walking sticks from the locals across the way. Starting giving the kids **** about contaband and whatnot.

SoonerStormchaser
5/2/2008, 11:40 PM
Went there in late December 2001 for a backpacking trip. Was cold...but beautiful country.

olevetonahill
5/2/2008, 11:44 PM
Heh. When Visiting A Border Park
Big Bend National Park shares the border with Mexico for 118 miles. This is a remote region. Visitors should be aware that drug smuggling routes pass through the park. If you see any activity which looks illegal, suspicious, or out of place, please do not intervene. Note your location. Call 911 or report it to a ranger as quickly as possible.
Each year hundreds of people travel north through the park seeking to enter the United States. It is possible you could encounter an individual or small group trying to walk through the park with little or no water. Please do not stop, but instead, note your location and immediately call 911 or contact a ranger as soon as possible. Lack of water is a life-threatening emergency in the desert.

So if they Dope smugglers , Shoot em Take their Dope and Call Dean ?

Turd_Ferguson
5/2/2008, 11:47 PM
So if they Dope smugglers , Shoot em Take their Dope and Call Dean ?Nah, just leave a canteen of water on their carcass.:D

olevetonahill
5/2/2008, 11:53 PM
Nah, just leave a canteen of water on their carcass.:D

Why water they Ded?
I call Dean cause Even if He dont peddel anymo He got connections Of who Do .:D :cool:

Turd_Ferguson
5/2/2008, 11:56 PM
[quote=olevetonahill;2287095]Why water they Ded?
/quote]So's the other drug smugglers stop to gulp and you can shoot them too:D

olevetonahill
5/2/2008, 11:59 PM
[quote=olevetonahill;2287095]Why water they Ded?
/quote]So's the other drug smugglers stop to gulp and you can shoot them too:D

My Bad
I wasnt thinkin of Baitin em out !:O

Turd_Ferguson
5/3/2008, 12:08 AM
where's sanjockwin when ya need him?

olevetonahill
5/3/2008, 12:15 AM
where's sanjockwin when ya need him?

WHO ?

Turd_Ferguson
5/3/2008, 12:30 AM
WHO ?
SanJoaquinSooner http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Sooner Benchwarmer

olevetonahill
5/3/2008, 12:34 AM
SanJoaquinSooner http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Sooner Benchwarmer

Well shat Just say Juan
Hes sleepin
Gota Be Up earley to Cut the Brussel Sprouts !;)

bluedogok
5/3/2008, 09:50 AM
I haven't been out there yet, I do know many who have done motorcycle trips (on and off-road) out there. A co-worker did a bicycle race out there about a month ago.

thesnowbishop
5/3/2008, 12:21 PM
Big Bend is probably my second favorite National Park. I used to go every spring break. I hope you guys got a chance to play around on the sand slide south of the Rio Grande hot springs. I loved the hikes in the Chisos basin, the Mule Ears complex and around Santa Elena Canyon. If you get a chance to go back, reserve a backroad campsite (or better yet, hike in) around the Mariscal Mine or Mariscal Canyon.

SoonerProphet
5/3/2008, 12:46 PM
Big Bend is probably my second favorite National Park. I used to go every spring break. I hope you guys got a chance to play around on the sand slide south of the Rio Grande hot springs. I loved the hikes in the Chisos basin, the Mule Ears complex and around Santa Elena Canyon. If you get a chance to go back, reserve a backroad campsite (or better yet, hike in) around the Mariscal Mine or Mariscal Canyon.

It has been a field trip in our school community for about the last 30 years or so. We went with some alum and recently retired teachers who have been part of it for awhile now. We hiked into Santa Elena during our hydrology portion, as well as the hot springs and Cattail Falls area. Our last day we hiked the Laguna Meadow and Pinnacles Trails around the Chisos Basin. Killer views and a pretty rugged hike.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/20/2008, 07:41 AM
Well shat Just say Juan
Hes sleepin
Gota Be Up earley to Cut the Brussel Sprouts !;)

What the hell do I know about Texas workers? I'm in California. California workers cross the border in Arizona, not Big Bend.

olevetonahill
5/20/2008, 08:12 AM
What the hell do I know about Texas workers? I'm in California. California workers cross the border in Arizona, not Big Bend.

Shouldnt you Be in the fields By Now ? :P

SanJoaquinSooner
5/20/2008, 09:11 AM
Shouldnt you Be in the fields By Now ? :P

God bless upward mobility.

olevetonahill
5/20/2008, 09:12 AM
God bless upward mobility.

:D
you get to drive the Bus now huh?

SoonerProphet
5/2/2009, 12:29 PM
Returned last evening from my second visit to the park with the 8th grade. Took a few pics this time.
http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z24/soonerprophet/th_DSC_0035.jpg
The resort.
http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z24/soonerprophet/th_DSC_02672.jpg
looking out of Santa Elena Canyon
http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z24/soonerprophet/th_DSC_03142.jpg
looking out on South Rim...you can just see the Swine Flu filtering in.

Okla-homey
5/2/2009, 01:40 PM
FWIW, back around 1993, a B-1 from our sister squadron, piloted by a guy who was still very wet behind the ears, managed to get disoriented on a very dark overcast and moonless night while flying a military low-level route that winds through the area.

They were flying down in this broad canyon at about 400' when their terrain following radar went out and instead of pulling straight up away from the dirt as he should have done, he panicked and because had a bunch of bank in, when he pulled up, he kinda pulled sideways. They impacted a cliff face almost head-on at 430 knots.

The B-1 weighs around 480,000 pounds. There wasn't a single piece of that airplane ever found that wouldn't fit on a metal trash can lid.

StoopTroup
5/2/2009, 01:43 PM
Went there in late December 2001 for a backpacking trip. Was cold...but HAWT Cougar country.

Fixed. :D :pop: :hot:

walkoffsooner
5/2/2009, 02:27 PM
If a south wind was blowing you got the flu. sorry