PDA

View Full Version : Fence Staining?

r5TPsooner
5/2/2008, 01:29 PM
I was going to stain my fence that encloses my back yard. I have decided on a redwood color of stain and had planned on doing it myself until I ruptured a disc in my back and had to have surgery.

Anyway, I hired a guy to do it for about $800. I have about 270 feet of fence, to stain and was wondering if this was a good deal. I will have him do both sides as well as I have seen the folks who go the one side route and it looks like poop to me.

He sounds like a good kid and he has kept every appointment that we have made. He even came out today to do the job but after looking at it, wanted to do it tomorrow due to the rain, so he could let the wood dry out a bit more.

Any opinions on the price?

soonerinabilene
5/2/2008, 01:34 PM
Doing both sides makes it almost two football fields. Depending on the height, that is a lot of work.

King Crimson
5/2/2008, 01:35 PM
i have no idea but i stained a few fence-lines and some "mod" style houses in Norman inna day and it was awful work. and it took 3 coats at least. now, this was 15 years ago.

back then, you had to use a brush or roller with heavy stain to get into the wood pores. spray didn't do it.

useful or not, that was my experience. staining is terrible work. if the kid does a good job that lasts, then he's earned. problem is: you don't know til down the road.

Cam
5/2/2008, 01:36 PM
Depending on how dry the wood is, it will take a ton of stain. I think it took me nearly 15 gallons to do 1 side of mine. I also did the red stain. Looks strange at first but looks better after a couple of weeks.

C&CDean
5/2/2008, 01:39 PM
I stained a few fences when the knothole said "you'd better pull out."

frankensooner
5/2/2008, 01:56 PM
Daniel LaRusso does work pretty cheap.

sooner_born_1960
5/2/2008, 01:59 PM
How much per gallon is the stain?