PDA

View Full Version : TRRW on the Michael Irvin show...

Collier11
5/2/2008, 01:00 PM
...here are some excerpts, it is a tough read for an OU fan, what has happened to the guys fire? I hope he gets it back this year or he may be done soon

Roy Williams, No. 38 in next year's program, made an appearance on Michael Irvin's ESPN 103.3 radio show to promote his charity. The first six minutes or so of the interview (podcast here) focus on the
Roy Williams Safety Net Foundation, which helps low-income single mothers.

Then talk turned to football, starting with Pacman Jones (Roy will call his new teammate Adam in an effort to help him "shed his skin") and the draft class. Of course, it wouldn't be a Roy Williams interview unless his rep as a raggedy coverage man came up.

Williams trotted out his old line about critics lacking knowledge of defensive schemes before acknowledging that he does get toasted on occasion.

"I will admit that at times, when I had one-on-one situations and you're head up on a tight end or a receiver that can go left or right, it's tough," he said. "I mean, it's just tough. Sometimes you just hope they don't throw the ball your way, because sometimes you're like, if they go inside, you don't have any help; if they go outside, you don't have any help.

"That's why corners get paid the big bucks."

Well, Roy, you're not exactly living check to check. Of course, Jerry made Williams one of the league's highest paid safeties primarily because of his tendency to make game-changing hits. When was the last time Williams had one of those?

"People will say Roy is really not making any big hits. Ever since I rededicated my life to God, OK, I haven't been making the big hits, but we got further than we ever did when I was living of the world. When I rededicated my life, you know what I'm saying, God showed me that you don't have to live of the world and I will bless you. He has basically overflown my cup. He has shown me so much.

"Please believe the hits will come as we get more comfortable with my defense, with the 3-4 and coach Phillips' way that he wants us to play. Please believe the hits will come. I mean, I'm going to have to get comfortable in this defense."

And, just in case Wade didn't get the message, one way to make Mr. Williams comfortable is to never, ever ask him to cover anyone without help.

Collier11
5/2/2008, 01:03 PM
Maybe football just isnt important anymore after he rededicated his life, but he just seems like he doesnt want to be out there anymore

trey
5/2/2008, 01:14 PM
god ruins everything

soonerinabilene
5/2/2008, 01:31 PM
Thats weird. Its not like the 3-4 was sprung on him this past season. Parcell's kind of lives by that defense. Maybe changing back to #38 will have a mental effect on him that will get his mind more like it was at OU. Although, it is good to know he has rededicated his life to God, as long as he doesnt turn into Neon Deion.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/2/2008, 01:42 PM
I hope he gets his fire back, he is fun to watch when he's on.

Tashard Choice was on the MI show a few days ago since he was the cowboys 4th round pick. That kid was so excited about coming to Dallas that he was giddy. He had a great interview talked about his mom and the reasons for leaving OU. He really seems to have his head on straight, I hope he does well.

batonrougesooner
5/2/2008, 02:04 PM
foosball is the devil

bstuff1979
5/2/2008, 02:25 PM
I don't like saying it, but he sounds like he's lost whatever it was that served as his motivation while playing at OU and the first few years w/ Dallas. That's not to say that he couldn't find something else or adjust, returning to his previous All-Pro form. My hope is that he has a down year and gets released. Then, after Mike Brown goes down in the first game or two for the third straight year, the Bears will pick him up. After that, Barry Switzer will give ponies and candy canes to everyone.

soonerfan28
5/2/2008, 02:42 PM
I hope he gets his fire back, he is fun to watch when he's on.

Tashard Choice was on the MI show a few days ago since he was the cowboys 4th round pick. That kid was so excited about coming to Dallas that he was giddy. He had a great interview talked about his mom and the reasons for leaving OU. He really seems to have his head on straight, I hope he does well.

Couldn't agree more. He seems like a good guy and who wouldn't have left with Peterson running the ball. I like watching him at G-Tech and I think he'll be a good pro.

Collier11
5/2/2008, 02:44 PM
I can see where rededicating his life might serve to take away his prior motivation...now that he has his life in order with God, I hope he can find a desire in a new place and get back to his old ways of scaring the bejeezus out of everyone

bluedogok
5/2/2008, 08:40 PM
The NFL is a different game, his skills were never as a cover DB, his skills were always more live a Rover or a Safety that plays a bunch near the line or even more like a Middle Linebacker. Putting him deep in coverage just exposes those, he would be much better in the scheme that the Steelers play and how they use Troy Polu.....the long haired guy.

For a bunch of guys, playing in the NFL is a job, a job that plays well but college it is still a bit more of a game.

boomersooner28
5/2/2008, 11:06 PM
To me, it doesn't seem like he's lost that "fire", it really does look like he is not totally comfortable with the defensive schemes the past 3 years or so. And with not being comfortable comes loss of confidence. Even the blitz packages they send him on suck. They have him rush up the middle of the line and he gets stonewalled everytime.

Curly Bill
5/2/2008, 11:25 PM
I do think that he has lost some of that "fire," and I also think he has been misused.

So...I should be the coach of the Cowboys - I'd change up the defense and give Roy a good solid kick in the ***.

soonersn20xx
5/3/2008, 08:30 AM
Looking at it from the standpoint of a Dallas Cowboy fan, it's time to cut Williams. As a Sooner fan, it saddens me to see such an elite player diminish before their time, for whatever reason it is.

Big Red Ron
5/3/2008, 11:49 PM
OK the NFL changed the goddamn rules because of him. He's like a 5 time pro bowler. He has no need to make excuses for anything. He's one of the best safety's to play the game, they changed the rules and he had to change his game.

One. Of. The. Greatest. Evar!

85sooners
5/4/2008, 11:13 AM
OK the NFL changed the goddamn rules because of him. He's like a 5 time pro bowler. He has no need to make excuses for anything. He's one of the best safety's to play the game, they changed the rules and he had to change his game.

One. Of. The. Greatest. Evar!:cool:

Big Red Ron
5/4/2008, 03:52 PM
TRRW on the Michael... (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2287506#post2287506)5/4/2008 12:30 PMsoonersn20xx (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?u=55114)Stop being a homer and start being objective.Naughty words

badger
5/4/2008, 07:28 PM
As a lifelong Packers fan, I would love to see Dallas lose everything every year for the rest of eternity, please oh-kay thank you :D

As a Sooner fan, who has personally spoken to TRRW and even Packer-enemy Barry Switzer (he chuckled when I mentioned that I was a lifelong Packer fan), I only hope for the best in our alumni even if they end up in hated Dallas. :mad:

Now, do I want to see guys like Torrance Marshall and Paul Thompson get cut from the Packers (I reference the mentality of soonersn20xx), "For the good of the team?" Hell, no. The NFL has bloated rosters as is and I know Oklahoma alumni are as talented as the next lockerroom-of-53 over and are usually not the cancerous sores that you see in the likes of TO and Pacman and Chad Johnson, so why want them to get turned loose? Even with the law of diminishing returns on talent in play (which, those of you that remember your School of Football classes, remember that the law states that "x number of years played plus x number of hits taken plus x number of dollars earned totals the percent chance of being cut and being ousted from the league"), Sooner players are good leaders and good community role models, which the NFL needs more of.

Think the Pack kept Favre because he was the greatest quarterback they could find to start? No. We kept him because of all that he has done and will do for Green Bay and Wisconsin. For someone to suggest that TRRW hasn't given a lot to Dallas (and I'm not saying he hasn't gotten a lot back) needs to stop nerding out the stats, man. There is value in professional players outside the sidelines.